• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I'm officially done with the 3DS version. I'll be waiting for the Wii U version from here on out, and then I'll resume with Lady Palutena. ^_^

I'll have one more set of videos to post of my 3DS Palutena gameplay for you guys.
Aww. I don't blame you though with these lame controls. But I was still eager for matches that could be video featured around here. >_<
And I don't know when I'll be getting the Wii U, but I hope it's soon so I can join in on the Palutena goodness and Pit sacred buns in HD (don't ask bout that 2nd part). I know it'll be expensive though, but yea... All good things in time.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Anyone up for any matches? They don't have to be dittos, I just want to get some practice in.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Why doesn't Palutena have a glitch that lets you use all her custom moves at once?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Why doesn't Palutena have a glitch that lets you use all her custom moves at once?
She'd be too godly for everyone else, though I wouldn't mind it happening. Celestial Lightspeed err, Explosive Auto Counter, Super Heavenly Glide... Yea, the silly things you can think of.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
What are your favorite and least favorite moves with Palutena guys? (custom included), and why? You can differentiate between favorite move to kill with, to combo with, or just in general.

I really like her up air and neutral air. The somewhat disjoined hitboxes and power feels familiar to me, though I know up air requires a bit more precision than it appears. Nair just feels... good, and you can easily cancel landing lag/and or followup.

As for least favorite, eh. Her tilts leave a bit to be desired, though her uptilt has respectable knockback if you can hit with it. Counter... I don't use that much, and I'm sure most people here prefer replacing that with a custom anyway.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
She'd be too godly for everyone else, though I wouldn't mind it happening. Celestial Lightspeed err, Explosive Auto Counter, Super Heavenly Glide... Yea, the silly things you can think of.
"Think of it more as sporting event, and less as a massacre." ~ Palutena

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Favorites:
  • Down Throw - Starts most combos.
  • Fair - Fast, good reach, auto cancels
  • Super Speed - lolMixups
  • Lightweight - Gotta go fast
  • Jump Glide - Punishes a lot of full screen/midscreen options
  • Jab - Broken move. Gets you grabs, tilts, or Smashes on hit.
Least Favorite:
  • Down Smash - If it didn't send them upwards, I'd never use it. It's just... slow and has a bad hitbox. The only real advantages I can find over FSmashing are it hits behind me and it kills like... 2% earlier uncharged.
  • Up Tilt - Used to love this move. Hate whiffing it and enemies sometimes fall out of it. I just would rather Up Smash
  • Counter - Horrible active frames.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Favorites;

Down Throw - BnB, you have to love it.
Fair - Another BnB, loving it is a requirement
Jab - Another BnB, if you don't love this move then you are insane
Bair - Super Priority
Dash Attack - Super Priority
Usmash - Ultimate anti-air with absurd amount of range into the air. What's not to love?
Super Speed - Gotta Go Fast. :4sonic:
Lightweight - I'm really feeling the boost in speed and jump. :4shulk:

Least Favorites;

Ftilt - So Zetta Slow

Counter - I dislike Counters in general.
Heavenly Light - Lol. Do I even need to explain?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Least favorite move is probably Heavenly Light by default :p

Super Speed and Lightweight get my votes for favorites because speeeeeeeeeeeeed!

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
What are your favorite and least favorite moves with Palutena guys? (custom included), and why? You can differentiate between favorite move to kill with, to combo with, or just in general.

I really like her up air and neutral air. The somewhat disjoined hitboxes and power feels familiar to me, though I know up air requires a bit more precision than it appears. Nair just feels... good, and you can easily cancel landing lag/and or followup.

As for least favorite, eh. Her tilts leave a bit to be desired, though her uptilt has respectable knockback if you can hit with it. Counter... I don't use that much, and I'm sure most people here prefer replacing that with a custom anyway.
Hmm. I guess my favorite things about Palutena is:
1. Her Jab: Very quick, and can easily trick people for mind play. It also adds a stun at higher percentages.
2. Teleport: The more and more I keep practicing that teleport cancel, the more and more I love it. It's just very quick and has some nice tech in it.
3. Side tilt: It may be slow to recover but it is a 3 hit move, which in my case, almost guarantees a hit. Whether it be the player forgetting about the second and or third hit, or it just being them running out to it before it finishes.
4. Down tilt: Of all the tilts, I love this one the most. It's very quick and has good knock back.
5. Up Smash: I only use this when my opponent is in the air, but when I do use it, it is just amazing. Most players seem to forget about it, so it makes it easier to land.
6. The wind affects from her side smash, and down smash: Sometimes that wind saves me from being punished if I miss. So it's good to have.
7. Her Dash attack: Really powerful, and has shield frames in it, protecting you from an attack while proceeding with yours.
8. Reflect: Best reflect move in the game. It gives you some distance, and has a huge reflect range. It reflects just about every projectile while keeping Palutena at a safe distance.
9. All of her aerials: Her neutral is very good for multiple hits, and can even carry your opponent. Very great for edge game. Her forward air is just very quick, and has low landing lag. Her back air is very powerful and (just like her dash attack) also has shield frames. Her down air is pretty good for both on stage, and off stage. On stage it can knock your opponent backwards, which could be followed up from. Off stage it can be used for a meteor smash........which feels very good when you land it. Up air is just broken.........broken in a good way. The hit box on that thing is ridiculous, and the move itself is a killer.
10. Down throw: Opens the door to many combo routes.
11. Customs: I love light weight. Makes her very quick and makes follow ups much more easier. I love her super speed because of those combos.

What my least favorite things about Palutena are:
1. The lag behind her Smash attacks: I wish they were quicker, especially her down Smash.
2. The lag in her up tilt: If it was for that lag, her up tilt would be a great move to use regularly.
3. Customs: Heavenly light is the only custom I don't like. I don't really see a purpose in using it unless you are in team battle.

And that's it. Anything else that I didn't mention it's because I have mix feelings about it.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If Ftilt guarantees you a hit then you are probably playing against bad players. Would still be a good idea for you to get out of the habit of using it though.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Favorites
Dash: Shielding effect
Bair: Shielding effect
Fair: Very easy to approach with and combo friendly
Dtilt: Nice Spacing move and the one i usually rely on
Jab: Quick and combo Friendly move to get opponents out
Lightweight :NO PLACE IS SAFE when Palutena is LW mode

Least Favorites
Dair: I feel like this should of had more range to it tbh. i feel a bit unsafe above opponents while having to use it.
HL: just a bad move in general
Rocket Jump: I don't like the range that RJ gives and the spike effect and damage means nothing to me if i can't recover..

I am online atm if anyone wants to have a few matches dittos or not..

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
If Ftilt guarantees you a hit then you are probably playing against bad players. Would still be a good idea for you to get out of the habit of using it though.
Couldn't that really be said about any multi hit move? It's a common human error that makes people get hit from it, especially under pressure. This happens to players of all levels. I might have exaggerated a bit when I said it guarantees a hit, but it does get a lot of people while they are under pressure. And trust me, I don't use it a lot. Only when moving back and forth. So there really isn't a habit to get out of. Which probably explains why most people I use this move against gets hit from it due to how rarely I use this move.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The difference between a move like Ftilt and, say, Jab is that one is far harder to react to then the other. I understand the draw to using the move. But the move is bad. 99% of the time there is always going to be a better option to use then Ftilt. Ftilt is high risk-very low reward and is generally outclassed by Dtilt, Jab, and even Fsmash. Even in the spot-dodge scenario Admiral talked about above is only useful if you have a hard time timing with the other moves. And ever if you are getting hits with Ftilt still, you could be getting a better reward by hitting with a different move and lower risk as well. Not every move a character has needs to be used or be good or have use over another move.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Favorite:
Jab: its fun to poke people multiple times with the single jab. Then lead into the
Down Throw: Excellent moves. sets up for some of my other favorites
F-air: Great for hitting people away. Bait them into hitting you again. re-grab into
Up-air: Kill them. Kill them early. Kill them easy. Huge hit box. Great for ledgehopping and hitting people with this when they are at high percent. They won't see it coming.
Up-smash: Punish those dodge spammers. D-throw>Charge the up-smash>wait for them to get landing lag from their constant airdodge> release the kracken.
D-air: I love getting this. So much. Punish those ledge campers.
D-smash: I love getting this. So much. Punish those roll spammers.

Of course above all else Lightweight. Such a good move.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
The difference between a move like Ftilt and, say, Jab is that one is far harder to react to then the other. I understand the draw to using the move. But the move is bad. 99% of the time there is always going to be a better option to use then Ftilt. Ftilt is high risk-very low reward and is generally outclassed by Dtilt, Jab, and even Fsmash. Even in the spot-dodge scenario Admiral talked about above is only useful if you have a hard time timing with the other moves. And ever if you are getting hits with Ftilt still, you could be getting a better reward by hitting with a different move and lower risk as well. Not every move a character has needs to be used or be good or have use over another move.
I wasn't saying that every move should be used. That's why I said I rarely use it, and that I only use it when moving back and forth (dash tilt cancel.) But even still, I don't use it often. I was only pointing out it's benefits, and why I consider it one of my favorite moves. But to each their own I suppose.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Ftilt is an okay move. When jab doesn't reach and fsmash is too slow - it has its place and is useful a few times a match.

Utilt on the other hand is total ass. Doesn't hit short characters. Laggy. Usmash reaches farther. I think jump to uair is always faster.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Favorites:

-Jab: Single jab with nice range that can follow up to grabs, and even an F-smash if you're lucky. Poking others with it is fun as well.
-F-air: One of her bread and butter moves. Use for spacing, part of follow-ups, all-around, and a very quick move.
-D-throw: Obviously her best throw, but not for killing, but rather for the follow-ups. To F-air is the most common, N-air sometimes, but U-air is for killing. If you can anticipate and bait an airdodge, you just regrab em and hit em again.
-N-air: Has fairly nice circular range, can potentially pull opponents down if you fastfall, making it good for random tricks, or so I think.
-Warp: Well, outside the circle pad problems of mine, let's just say I love to Warp Cancel. If mastered, it can add more mindgames and potential overall.
-D-tilt: Fairly nice range and spam rate, but only good on grounded opponents. It's also a mediocre kill move in the 150's I believe. Its tone sounds cooler than F-tilt's.
-D-air: Though I don't get to land it so much, spiking others with it is so satisfying. Kick em down out of heaven.
-Celestial Fireworks: A really good anti-air move that can kill and provide invincibility frames. Catch opponents in the air with it, and you may even kill early.
-U-air: Great anti-air move as well, and it kills.

Least favorite:

-D-smash: It's hard landing the move, and you get punished for it so often.
-U-tilt: As much as I love how the move looks, it's only decent to hit players that are trying to come down on you, and even then it's still hard to land all the hits, and missing gets you punished so easily.
-Heavenly Light: How can you even make use of this move in a 1v1 battle without getting punished or benefiting you? Shame, because I love the sound it makes.
-Counter: While I still use the move here and there, it lags more than the generic Fire Emblem character counters, and you do get punished if you miss. At least it has fairly decent horizontal range.

My mind may change in the Wii U version. I still hate the circle pad. Regardless, she's still a great character... just one that takes quite the skill to use and is tough to use effectively. I do love doing some of her fun tricks though.

Also word has it that a version 1.04 update is coming which will prevent us from playing our previous replays, so yea, we gotta get it all clear, and etc. I'm gonna miss some combos and moments I did, but it only leaves room for more goodness. When the version happens, I'll be more active to get Palutena dittos going for more miracles.
Now if only they could be recorded for highlights. :(

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
There are also apparently going to Balancing the characters as well. Hopefully they won't be getting rid of LW on platforms..

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As much as I like wanting to experiment with LW, I needs my Warp Cancels. I like being a unique and somewhat fancy Palutena. It'd be like a successor from my fancy unique Pit days in Brawl.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
As much as I like wanting to experiment with LW, I needs my Warp Cancels. I like being a unique and somewhat fancy Palutena. It'd be like a successor from my fancy unique Pit days in Brawl.
That teleport cancel is the only thing that I hope never gets patched.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ftilt is an okay move. When jab doesn't reach and fsmash is too slow - it has its place and is useful a few times a match.

Utilt on the other hand is total ***. Doesn't hit short characters. Laggy. Usmash reaches farther. I think jump to uair is always faster.
Dtilt has comparative range to Ftilt, is faster, and sends at a better angle. Why use Ftilt over Dtilt in those situations?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Dtilt has comparative range to Ftilt, is faster, and sends at a better angle. Why use Ftilt over Dtilt in those situations?
To guarantee picking off spot dodgers, or to pick at Mac's Side-B recovery (provided he doesn't recover too low)? I'm sure someone's combo vid or something showed the latter.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If wave dashing was in the game I'd say up-tilt is useless. Wavedash back>up-smash. But up-tilt covers right above your head. Up smash does not. Up-tilt is good against the opponent being an idiot and coming in right above you.

holding out a jab is better than f-tilt against spot dodgers imo.

F-tilt is better against people that don't know it hits three times.

I have no idea about d-tilt. I try to use it to get people trying to get to the ledge from underneath. I think I've only ever hit someone once with it. It is faster than f-tilt.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Already wen't over the spot dodgers things in a above post. It makes it easier to punish Spot Dodges, but once you get the timing down other moves are better.

There are better ways to gimp people recovering.

Almost any of the time you might want to use Ftilt there is a better option.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Dtilt covers a low forward area while ftilt covers a higher area. It's not amazing, but it's not useless.

Burigu

Smash Ace
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit where did you get the info about the patch?? and do you mean replays are getting erased for this patch? I am unsure if they are balancing the characters throught for some reason I feel it could be too early

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit where did you get the info about the patch?? and do you mean replays are getting erased for this patch? I am unsure if they are balancing the characters throught for some reason I feel it could be too early

Something about this. D:
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/11/11/super-smash-bros-3ds-update-version-1-0-4-coming-soon/

It's supposed to be some kinda balance patch, and I hope Palutena doesn't get hurt by it. Nintendo better provide all the patch details if it happens.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
To add to what Admiral Pit said above, it won't erase your replays, though there is a possibility that they won't work properly. It because the replays record player/cpu's inputs rather than recording the actual matches. So if Palutena got a change in any of her moves, the replay will replay it with that change in mind, aka, it might mess it up.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Ftilt being bad isn't so much a matter of "can it do something" as "can it do something without invoking an absolutely atrocious risk:reward ratio, and is there no better option in the same situation?" For the answer to be "yes", you have to fulfill all of the following criteria:

-Out of jab/grab range
-Unable to hit with dtilt, a smash attack, SHFF fair, etc, but ftilt will hit
-Opponent is unable to avoid, block, counter, or trade with the hit
-Adjusting your spacing or simply waiting does not yield a better option

Your reward for all of this is 6-10% damage (6% max spacing, maybe 8-10% if used up close), no guaranteed followups, but maybe some positional advantage. Huge risk for very little reward. Unless you're psychic, chances are you'll lose more than you gain from trying to use ftilt in the long run.

Regarding 1.0.4, we know that the Wii U has some changes not yet implemented on 3DS, presumably thanks to testing and debugging continuing beyond the point where 3DS went gold. Things like Wario's "wectoring", Yoshi's teleport glitch, etc are apparently fixed and Luma takes longer to respawn after death. Speculation is that 1.0.4 will bring the 3DS up to date with these changes. Aside from the sleight possibility of infinite Lightweight going away (no word either way thus far), I'd be shocked if Palutena got any nerfs. If anything I'd expect minor buffs, but realistically I think they'll try to make as few changes as possible so she probably won't see anything at all.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
I just want to see 1 change to Palutena for 1.04. Just 1. Something along the lines of...

We felt that giving Palutena a reflect AND a counter on her default moveset forced her to be a bit too defensive of a character. We've decided to swap reflect for super speed in her default moveset. Reflect is now her custom special 2.

...in my dreams D:

Oh while we're on the topic...

Favorites:
Jab - Godlike
Dthrow - Great for setups
Bair - Incredible defensive properties
Dash attack - same as bair, but it's ending lag is pretty painful
Uair - Godlike
Usmash - It's a fun move :)

Dislikes:
Dsmash - Horrifically slow and has deceptively low range because of the wind hitboxes :(
All of her tilts - Extremely sluggish and punishable despite their nice disjoints. Generally outclassed by her other moves. Ftilt, in particular, seems quite useless. Her dtilt isn't so bad in certain scenarios, but I feel like jab is 90% of the time a better option than ftilt/dtilt.

Last edited:

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Favorites:
Jab - The jab of the gods
D-Throw - All the combos! Also, Palutena rams their face into the ground hard enough for them to bounce up. That's good stuff.
D-Air - It feels REALLY good to land
N-Air - I think it's really good, and feels great to get the full combo

Dislikes:
F-Tilt - This may be less a problem once I move over to the wii u version, but it always comes out accidentally/not when I want it to and I get hammered because of the lag on it.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Something about this. D:
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/11/11/super-smash-bros-3ds-update-version-1-0-4-coming-soon/

It's supposed to be some kinda balance patch, and I hope Palutena doesn't get hurt by it. Nintendo better provide all the patch details if it happens.
Mmmm I see I doubt Nintendo will patch Palutena since the general believe until recently was that she is bottom tier, maybe patching Lightweight or even buffing her (if they are counting For Glory matches as references) if they are smarter than that then I hope they DON'T PATCH Warp Cancel I have spend a lot of time mastering it to work on the ledge and I am really far into mastering it on platforms so I don't want to see all that hard work going to waste.

To add to what Admiral Pit said above, it won't erase your replays, though there is a possibility that they won't work properly. It because the replays record player/cpu's inputs rather than recording the actual matches. So if Palutena got a change in any of her moves, the replay will replay it with that change in mind, aka, it might mess it up.
Yes thank you I had already figured out the video part when I saved a back up of my SD card on my computer and couldn't find any videos.

But there are multiple rumors they are patching Rosalina, and despite how people claim Little Mac is balanced I want him to get a little rebalance, I think the duration of his super armor is ridiculous.

Last edited:

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I hope they will provide us some patch notes, so we won't have to speculate for 3 months about what changed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ftilts best use in my mind is pivoting. Hw useful this is depends on how
roll-happy your opponent is.

On another note, I managed to shieldgrab a Greninja's Dair.

On yet another note... kmpyj, would you do me the honor of friending
me on 3DS? It'd be nice to fight With Friends for a change.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz

If you or anyone would like to play dittos or work on the greninja match up. I can play now. my fc is 1993-9014-5126

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

Sure, but I won't be able to at the moment. I'm out from my house. But I will add you as soon as I get back.

Top Bottom