• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miscellaneous Poll 1: Who do you secondary?

Who do you secondary?

• Total voters

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I had someone pm me asking about making such a poll, and I think it isn't such a bad idea ;) Somewhat had a gut urge to somewhat write a bit of an extended blurb on the idea of a secondary too!

So, tournament attending MARTH MAINS, who do you secondary and why? (As in, what match ups/stages/etc do they cover for you)
If you use Marth in tournament regularly as a STRONG secondary, feel free to vote as well (picking your 'main', I suppose :p)
Please do not vote if you only use Marth in friendlies or something.

Oh and if you use multiple secondaries, please select the one you would use the most or talk about it ;).

The intended purpose of this thread is to actively discuss and consider who Marth's best secondary is and why!

--------------------------------------------

Generally the question on who we secondary has been brought up numerous times in the past, in the social thread and the Q&A thread. In fighting games the notion of a secondary is very important if your main has a bad match up, especially if that match up is a common occurrence; in smash's case this extends to also using a secondary for bad stages on your opponent's counter-pick. Alternatively, some may work on secondaries purely to tip some commonly seen match ups heavily in their favour (Dedede is a prime example).
Either way, competitively speaking, having a strong and reliable secondary to cover your, or your character's weaknesses is a prerequisite for success.

For us Marth mains, it's common thought that a secondary isn't required; we have no impossible match ups and our worst match up, Meta Knight, is commonly seen as having an advantage on any secondary you could possible use other than MK himself - and due to how common MK is in tournament, having Marth as a main would generally require you to accept this handicap to be successful in the first place (lest we tread on how you would classify a main if you use a totally different character in what should be the most seen opponent in a high level tournament).
Match up ideals have changed over time as well, the days in which we thought Snake was tragic for us has changed; and the frequency of Wolf, DK and ROB (our "evens") have reduced drastically, making Dedede a less viable secondary to work on [but still one of us best]. Alternatively for weaker ability in the same match ups and a stronger chance against MK over Marth, Falco was often recommended. However, with the now commonly argued Ice Climbers match up being a thorn in Marth's side, neither of the two are fantastic either.

The obvious choice as a secondary for nearly any character in the cast is of course Meta Knight. Covering all stage weaknesses, doing nearly as well as Dedede (bar Snake) against our evens and most definitely covering Ice Climbers; he is clearly a much favoured secondary.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to use marth against any matchup, but sometimes for fun I'll switch to Falco. The reason is that he just works for me. It's fun to mess around with his grabs, lasers, and dacus too.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Why zero suit and why Snake, Mr-R?
I've always played zss in the past but as my marth grew better she got worse ._. so i might drop her.
my snake on the other hand has been improving like crazy because hes usually the only char i use on wifi. and he's doing suprisingly well offline in both friendlies and mm's ( havent used him in a tourney yet )

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I've only used Marth in tournament so far. But I voted other (unviable) because I do have a Link that is tournament ready, I'm just waiting for a time when it'd actually be smart to use him...

The reason I second Link (other than the fact that he's Link) is basically to cover for stages that my Marth does poorly on. I'll whip Link out if I get CP'd to japes by any character other than Falco and MK. I'll also occasionally use Link if I get CP'd to Brinstar. Besides that, I feel like he might have a slightly better matchup against DK than Marth does.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i go all marth

considering falcon for wario though since it actually is fairly close and they'll underestimate him something horrid

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ive always gone Marth, i also use Link but i dont see me doing any better in a tournament with Link.

If i come up against a D3 or ROB i sometimes think about going Metaknight, as i can use Meta rly wll (easy to use). But i never actually have done. Also since i play Snake on wifi i might end up picking him sometime in the future, i dunno i just stick to Marth.

V

Smash Ace
I play Marth alone. The way I see it, Marth has no unwinnable matchups, and for the time it would take to get a secondary character good enough for his bad matchups, I could use learning how to fight them with Marth instead. The only time I'll consider a secondary is if the character I'm playing against has more than one counterpick stage I dont' feel comfortable playing on. In that case I MIGHT play MK, but I usually try to tough it out with Marth. It also depends on the skill level of the player. I base my playstyle with Marth around knowing the other character's best options and having a counter for them (punishing), but noobs tend to do things with no rhyme or reason. In that case, I play a very aggressive MK and make them try to deal with it.

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
I second Toon Link pretty much for the reason that he's my other best character. I play matchups based on how well I do in a specific matchup with each character. I also sometimes play MK just because I'm a wuss T_T

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
I use pikachu because anther is a ****ing beast and i look up to him, and pika is really fun, a lot of people dont know how to play against him, has an amazing recovery, can projectile camp better than marth, and when my marth isnt doing too well with spacing its easier because i can get in close and crossover Fair into uptilt and bait rolls and stuff without feeling sad about getting grabbed when i try to Fair.

My pika is pretty bad though.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I chose all Marth because I've never actually used anybody else in tourney. Maybe I would go MK if I got counterpicked by a DDD to Delphino or Rainbow Cruise or something, but that's probably it. And I never practice MK either, except in sandbagging friendlies. I'll play Snake, but I don't think I'd ever use him in tourney.

So basically, I just don't feel it's really necessary except for a few matchups on a few stages.

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
I use Marth in pretty much all of my matches except R.O.B, Meta-knight, and King Dedede. For those I use my secondary which is.....Meta-knight.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I just go solo with Marth and just use Kirby just to mess around. I'm having a huge road block in trying to beat MK though.

Albert.

Smash Master
I chose all Marth because I've never actually used anybody else in tourney. Maybe I would go MK if I got counterpicked by a DDD to Delphino or Rainbow Cruise or something, but that's probably it. And I never practice MK either, except in sandbagging friendlies. I'll play Snake, but I don't think I'd ever use him in tourney.

So basically, I just don't feel it's really necessary except for a few matchups on a few stages.
So what I got from this was...

"I go all Marth, except when I don't use Marth"

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
So what I got from this was...

"I go all Marth, except when I don't use Marth"
More like "I go all Marth except for when I know I'm gonna lose anyway because I'll have a better chance of getting lucky with MK"

**** hippies and your loose constructionism.

grimAuxiliatrix

Smash Cadet
second Pika, because his projectile and cg on MK are excellent, and god his thunder denis MK's spamming.
other matchups i have trouble with when using marth include DDD who can be cg'd to ohshi-% and snake who is basically ****ed if grabbed.
i can also whip out ZSS, IC, Sheik, Fox, or PT if i'm in a showoffy mood.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I selected snake however I ALMOST went with I am a real man.

Snake doesn't REALLY help match up wise, the main reason I picked snake was because of his of focus need in comparison to marth, and stage counter picking. I also picked up snake so my teammate and I could use MK snake for doubles,

after that probably like fox (doubles)

when they become proficient ice climbers as well

I have gone almost ENTIRELY marth in tournament matches, and I have NOT used anyone other then marth in serious singles matches

but I am more of a doubles person in general

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
As weird as it sounds, I use Ness despite he covers none of Marths bad match ups. I guess the only thing he can be used for is FD really.

The main thing with Ness is I feel he's more a surprise factor, since if people get used to Marth just bust out a character who plays completely different (and gets gimped alot more..)
But more then anything, I find Ness fun to play.

V

Smash Ace
As weird as it sounds, I use Ness despite he covers none of Marths bad match ups. I guess the only thing he can be used for is FD really.

The main thing with Ness is I feel he's more a surprise factor, since if people get used to Marth just bust out a character who plays completely different (and gets gimped alot more..)
But more then anything, I find Ness fun to play.
Ness actually isn't that bad if your opponent doesn't know how to fight him (most people don't) he has some good early % combos and decent kill moves.

I was the one that pm'd shaya to do this. I'm surprised that there's double the people who use falco than MK. I was expecting an overwhelming majority of people that 2nd MK considering he's technically the best secondary for every character in the game.

Albert.

Smash Master
Falco is a great 2ndary for Marth, but he's also a totally different playstyle.

I'm also surprised at the amount of Falcos.

MK is a great 2ndary for Marth cause they're both swordsy characters

C.J.

Smash Master
Snake, mostly because I got tired of RedHalberd ****** my Marth and he can/does teach me Snake for MK.

Also, MK is the worst secondary, drewk, because he gets better than your main and then becomes your main.

Roxas M

Smash Master
i'm pretty sure i can vote on this.

i'm seconding mk atm(my mk is lol fail in singles though)
i'm thinking about trying out falco as a potential second.

V

Smash Ace
Snake, mostly because I got tired of RedHalberd ****** my Marth and he can/does teach me Snake for MK.

Also, MK is the worst secondary, drewk, because he gets better than your main and then becomes your main.
This

10secondaryMK's

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Wario for stages/doubles/certain chars sometimes

I use a lot of chars though lol I would also feel comfortable going Falco, D3, Snake, and MK depending on the char/player/stage in tournament.

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
I second Falco and Dedede for tourney (chose Falco on the poll). I tend to do better with them than Marth when it's an unfamiliar matchup. As far as counterpicks:

If I have to fight Dedede, I'll go Falco (unless it's a dumb stage).

For Metaknight, I'll go Marth and possibly Falco. I actually have a decent Meta as well and I don't mind the ditto, but I'd rather not use Meta in tourney.

For Diddy and ZSS, I'll use Marth or Falco.

For Snake, ROB, DK, and Wolf, any of the 3 (stage dependent).

For Marth, I'll use Marth or Dedede.

Top Bottom