• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Smash University - Check post 881

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Armada and other sweden/EU brought their ***** to the lazy country we know as the U.S. Get yo *** over there it's nice to visit another country.

Disciple : Not sure man, same thing might happen to me to them. LOL and chances are, they won't be coming back.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Advertisement on smashboards is just posting your major tournament in every regional social thread. You're Armada so you can get away with it, but even lesser known players (such as myself) are able to advertise similarly as long as it isn't over the top and annoying.

Bunbun is right, I hadn't heard about hardly any European tournaments at all except for BEAST II. I think if you guys start branching out and socializing with some of the US crowd then you'll see more US interest. Your problem isn't interest, it's information.

1) Promote Euro tournaments you want to make international (people can't go if they don't know it exists)
2) Provide information so people can see it's not that hard to travel international (flights, prices, discounts, etc.). You can probably arrange with a major flight company to get a nice group deal if you can guarantee 20+ international flights or something. Big businesses got is as successful as they are partly because they're good at recognizing profitable arrangements and then jumping on them. People will go if you show them it's not as difficult/costly as they thought.

It's not as hopeless as you think, I promise :D

Armada

Smash Lord
Ally is the man =)

Winnar: Like I said this year have been really weak for European smash (compareing to 09/10) and Beast 2 is the second European tournament this year (Beast was in January)

So I doubt you have seen any information at all except from Beast 2 cause it is no more tournaments in the closest future =/

BunBun

Smash Master
Well, if you decide to not come, we totally understand. We're still going to be sad, but it really isn't fair for everyone to keep expecting you to show up to the US. Money issues aside, taking days off from school or work is really rough.

Keep beasting Europe though, and I hope to get to play you one day.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Ally is the man =)

Winnar: Like I said this year have been really weak for European smash (compareing to 09/10) and Beast 2 is the second European tournament this year (Beast was in January)

So I doubt you have seen any information at all except from Beast 2 cause it is no more tournaments in the closest future =/
Well maybe you can talk to some of the European players and get another big tournament going? It's a shame BEAST II is so soon or we might be able to get some bigger US interest for that.

In any case, that seems like the first step. If there's a BEAST 3 (or something similar) then we can start working on getting that hyped up in the US.

Edit - Also yeah I am in total agreement with BunBun. There's a lot more cost to traveling (internationally) than a plane ticket. It can be exhausting haha

Armada

Smash Lord
Thanks for the understanding =)

Well I guess I will attend at least one of Apex/This. Yeah take days of from school is bad so I don´t know if I can go to both.

Well I will give you a answer soon.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Sup Armada!

International competition is attracted by international-scale tournaments, which means international hype.

The biggest issue is money -- travelling to Europe isn't cheap, so US players on a large scale probably will never go to you, but on a small scale (like 5-10 players), it's totally possible.

You'd need to hype up your tournament a lot and also get a good player fund going to at least help one person with their ticket. Once you have one top-level US player confirmed, it'll be much easier to get others to follow.

Right now it doesn't make any sense though (as far as I can tell).

Also -- do we have to play PAL??? Wtf???

Armada

Smash Lord
I know traveling to Europe is not cheap but it is like that both ways (Payed 1300 dollars for my plane tickets to the first Genesis).

And when I said I wanted to see players over here I would be happy if 2-3 players make the trip.

Pal version is the best version =)

Armada

Smash Lord
Hbox- No
Kage- (not US but still) No
Peepee- No
Zone- No idea
Ripple - Said he can´t go
M2k- No
PBnj- Guess not (Haven´t heard anything at least)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yeah If that was the truth.

Work together?
Any ideas?

From what I have read in this thread I can´t see any possibilities.

And like I said many from Sweden wanna go to Apex so I guess I will go with them
Believe it or not, it is the truth. I know nothing has really happened yet as far as US travel is concerned, but there's been plenty of interest/discussion. I know no one would really know of care to attend European tournaments if European players didn't travel over here.

And there's plenty of good ideas to work together. The US has brought in a lot of money for foreign players (including you) to attend our tournaments. Why not do something for some of ours? Maybe the community could choose someone able to go, and get plenty of American and European players to donate. Give information for international players, airports, prices, housing accommodations, etc... Make it easy for us to attend.

I'm not saying you should feel obligated to go to all, or even any, of our tournaments. It's a huge commitment - time and money-wise. I'm just saying doing so is a good way to get some reciprocation (albeit currently unequal.) I think you'll start to see some US players attending soon =D

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Believe it or not, it is the truth. I know nothing has really happened yet as far as US travel is concerned, but there's been plenty of interest/discussion. I know no one would really know of care to attend European tournaments if European players didn't travel over here.

[...] I think you'll start to see some US players attending soon =D
Well what do you know, i was right! Chain-Ace is starting a fund to get M2K to go to BEAST II (check his post in the BEAST II thread), and I'm sure it has nothing to do with you blackmailing your attendance to this tournament lol. Now let's get both American and European players to donate! Hopefully this will start a trend of both US and European travel to international tournaments =D

edit: well i guess it fell through! lol, but still, the interest is there for sure. Just be patient, I think the international community will continue to expand =D

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
lol at pbnj
yeah I laughed too
I know right? Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Srsly though, in addition to the aforementioned issues, I imagine most American smashers simply don't have much in the way of funding to put into traveling abroad. Not to mention our inability to navigate public transportation. And widespread lack of passports.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
Well I should have a ride should be getting my car in a week. I guess if I do come I might try and go for a hotel room with some one if they interested. I know I probably won't last too long in tournament but I'd still love to play friendly with every one. If anyone interested in teaming up let me know. As of now I want to attend but it's not guaranteed I'll show.

:phone:

Winnar

Smash Lord
So last night I posted this (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13082302) about why smash should be using swiss style tournaments instead of pools.

Spoiler alert: MSU will almost definitely be running swiss in place of round robin pools (but we will still have a double elimination bracket afterwards) unless someone can come up with a good reason not to.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
this is the same weekend as AWA apparently, and I was super excited to dress up as pimped out Waluigi, but seeing Ryan is better than like anything, so I'm definitely coming to this.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
So last night I posted this (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13082302) about why smash should be using swiss style tournaments instead of pools.

Spoiler alert: MSU will almost definitely be running swiss in place of round robin pools (but we will still have a double elimination bracket afterwards) unless someone can come up with a good reason not to.
Swiss cuts down on the number of matches one would be able to play in pools. If you have 6 man round robin pools, that's 6 games per person. To get that same effect with swiss, you'd need 36 per pool. It's much harder to round to 36 than it is to 6. Unless you didn't want to do pools and instead just did swiss brackets for placement. Then that'd be... well I imagine it would expend a lot of effort to do the matching up and getting people where they need to be.

BunBun

Smash Master
well I imagine it would expend a lot of effort to do the matching up and getting people where they need to be.
This is the only snag in the system, but can be overcome.

Oh, and that Swiss results are pretty meaningless once you take out the top and very bottom. Relative placement of the entire midrange is more or less garbage.
Unless you also count points based on the scores of the people they beat and beat them.

And even still somewhat.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You better have AT LEAST a one TV to four player ratio in order to run Swiss. You're also going to have people that will not know what the **** they're doing and they won't have a pool leader to ask about it.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Swiss cuts down on the number of matches one would be able to play in pools. If you have 6 man round robin pools, that's 6 games per person. To get that same effect with swiss, you'd need 36 per pool. It's much harder to round to 36 than it is to 6. Unless you didn't want to do pools and instead just did swiss brackets for placement. Then that'd be... well I imagine it would expend a lot of effort to do the matching up and getting people where they need to be.
That would be 5 games per person, and I have no idea where 36 came from. Did you mean 32?

And no we wouldn't split people into swiss pools, there's not really any reason to do that O:

You better have AT LEAST a one TV to four player ratio in order to run Swiss. You're also going to have people that will not know what the **** they're doing and they won't have a pool leader to ask about it.
Of course~

And that latter remark about pool leaders won't be an issue. I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I meant 32 and for some reason went back and changed it to 36. My brain isn't working at full capacity.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Keep bringing it up?

Also, I've seen no assurance that it won't.
In the other thread it seems to be shaping into one of the more valid concerns. There are workarounds, but it seems to be one of the few areas where pools is legitimately better.

As for some workarounds, having Assistant TO's wandering around so people can ask questions is probably the most simple and effective way to deal with the problem of no pool leaders.

Though pool leaders are basically just assistant TO's anyway, which is why I didn't consider it a problem at first. Just find players you trust who volunteer be assistant TO's.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Swiss works by pairing players based on their win/loss records. Players with the same or similar records are paired up randomly or semi-randomly for each round of swiss. A win counts for 3 points, a 2-1 loss counts for 1 point, and a 2-0 loss counts for 0 points. All players start with 0 points.

The number of rounds of swiss depends on the number of entrants. In case of a tie, players will play tiebreaker games (time permitting).

That's a pretty basic breakdown, anyway.

Top Bottom