• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mistakes you made back in the day (serious topic)

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
alright, i thought this could be a pretty interesting topic. we were all noobs back in the day even armada and we all had a terrible gameplay once and a lot of people still have.
i can remember that when i started playing competetively i always did fulljump approach and then doublejump mindgame to bait a shieldgrab. so yeah this was a pretty nooby way of playing. also i always tried to shieldgrab out of the nair -> shine approach of fox and i always got punished for that terrible attempt. but it was hard to come up with good countermoves when youre fairly unadvanced. but that was long time ago and i stepped up my game a lot.

i also analysed the progress of a top player, armada, which im sure you know because he always sticks out with his extremely smart gameplay and his awesome mindgames that brought the metagame to a whole new point and that not only for peach. when i saw him playing a couple of years ago i noticed that he was doing a lot less crouchcancel to dtilts and he missed a couple of bob ombs/stitch faces that he manipulated by pulling it on the right frame. but his gameplay always has been really incredible so its also interesting to witness how talented some players are. thats what i wanted to say regarding a player example

if you can come up with players how they played differently back in the day you can post it here too but im mainly interested in what mistakes you made. that can be from a missed wavedash on the edge and thus dying for to doing rolls all day.

oh and please when you post in this thread annotate it with "(serious post)" so that i know that youre not trolling.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
rooting for Armada at Genesis

and Pound

and APEX

(serious post)
rooting for armada can never be a mistake. but its sad to see youve lost faith in god...

but again guys, the thread is more about gameplay mistakes. like for example back in the day i always recovered from below the edge with fox and tried to tech. stupid strategie because it gets edgeguarded extremely easy.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Well. I picked Young Link for 5 years thinking I had a chance.
The **** was I thinking...

I picked Sheik up for two years and now I'm doing a million times better in tournaments than I ever would have with YL

Geist

Smash Master
My biggest mistake was intentionally not trying to get good at the game for as long as I was (playing it competitively).
I could be so much better right now. No johns.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
so he manipulated the frame that he pulled his turnips? exactly how does that work?
my biggest mistake is being unable to manipulate frames i pull out my turnips. (serious post, just so you know)

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
My biggest mistake was assuming that there was only one person relatively near me who was good, and only playing that person for years, never venturing out to tournaments. (Serious post)

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
so he manipulated the frame that he pulled his turnips? exactly how does that work?
my biggest mistake is being unable to manipulate frames i pull out my turnips. (serious post, just so you know)
I think that hes able to judge the chance just proves his god status. You only have 1 frame per second where you can get a stitch face and the problem about this is that armada cannot always pull turnips because hes getting attacked at the same time and he also has to keep up his offense. Thats why he doesnt have always time to pull it at the right frame

but nevermind. BACK TO TOPIC. I dont know why you guys refuse to stay on topic. Its such a good thread.

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
A few moments ago I made the mistake of opening this thread, I thought you were a funnier troll due to the skill formula thing but you must have got lucky and frame perfectly pulled that out of your ***. Anywho if you don't start making funnier non repetitive post/ threads I do believe I will stop clicking on them Poundslap. Step it up (Serious post).

Kira-

Smash Champion
i play sheik,

I always ledgehop slap if they are in range. Gets me shined/naired/hit like every time, been doing that since 2007

I always wavedash back or dashdance to grab, it's the only way I know how to get hits in

as soon as i tech i just throw out forward tilts hoping it will hit

i always roll when i'm near the ledge

i always shield for like 30 seconds and dont do anything and then get ***** for it

in teams i just CC dsmash all day and never change up

when i'm late on my tech chases i still go for bad dash attacks and then hit their shield and then get grabbed

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
In the first few moths I started playing, I mained falcon. And t play falcon I would:
Dash dance for like 2 minutes
only try to knee
charge fsmash to EVERYTHING.
My first tournament (6 months into smash, can't L-cancel) I played 6 matches, and I didn't win any, I came close to beating someguy's young link with Marth, but he probably didn't want others to see him losing to some kid who looked 18 and was new.

Renth

Smash Hero
I was actually going to share a deep part of my life here...

but since it's game related..

I play ganon.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I picked peach. My original character was going to be Falco. He was more suited for my play style

too many mistakes to name actually lol

Top Bottom