• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MisterDom Asks: How Important is Rest to Jigglypuff?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
An important but fun question yet again! I got a title for these now! ^_^

Needs no explanation!

If some of you know me, you might know that I believe the move Rest is the biggest reason why Jigglypuff is debated to be "underrated and really good" or "not good at all," or even just causes confusion for list makers.

Jigglypuff alone is a very odd character. Many players disagree where she should be placed on a tier list, and this goes on not only by the community v. The Jigglypuff mains, but also among the Jigglypuff mains. Many people think that she's on the lower end of the list, and she seems to be mostly voted there (being 2nd to last on the official list), but she is still one of the characters that can fluctuate quite a few places on different lists.

Deciding a certain opinion on Rest won't exactly decide where she is on a tier list; that isn't the point. Either way, it doesn't even matter; it really shouldn't decide where she is at all, whether great or bad. I just wanna know where your position on this topic is and why! Have fun! After a few responses, I'll give my opinion!

No poll this time because I'm not getting any responses! I might bring it back next time though. (:

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
I think every character has the one thing about them that makes or breaks them. I mean let's be honest, nothing else Jigglypuff does is particularly special beside putting people to sleep at will and having massive air mobility. Even with that air mobility her air dodge isn't good, her other kill moves can be sluggish, and no one's going to respect a puff without that fear of getting rested on in the back of their minds. She basically becomes Pichu and I mean that in the sense that people would only pick her just to disrespect. I'm sure people already do, but without rest she feels incomplete.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I think every character has the one thing about them that makes or breaks them. I mean let's be honest, nothing else Jigglypuff does is particularly special beside putting people to sleep at will and having massive air mobility. Even with that air mobility her air dodge isn't good, her other kill moves can be sluggish, and no one's going to respect a puff without that fear of getting rested on in the back of their minds. She basically becomes Pichu and I mean that in the sense that people would only pick her just to disrespect. I'm sure people already do, but without rest she feels incomplete.
Lol her airdodge is great with her kit, idk why people don't get this. I swear RDR7 RDR7 and I are the only people who know the truth >.<

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
She has like... one reliable kill move other than Rest. So Rest IS very important. But it's still bad *sigh*, so it's not THAT useful. Edgeguarding is much more important for Jigglypuff.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to steer away from the competitive side of things and focus more on how rest makes me feel as a Jiggs main enjoyment-wise.
It'd be a shame not to have rest... Whether it scares your opponent or not, the fact remains that it is a constant presence, ready to use at any given moment, and it's deadly. Many times it's completely unnecessary to even go for a rest, but still, the fact that it's there adds a certain quality of tension and excitement that would be missing otherwise. I'd probably still play Jiggs even if he/she didn't have the move, but it wouldn't be quite as thrilling. (It's also top tier on the cute move tier list.)

RDR7

Smash Cadet
Her multiple jumps and insane air mobility (nobody else has this) allows her airdodge to be utilized differently than any character. The frame data is meh however her airdodge can be used to approach. Example, if Lucas PK fires on the ground puff can airdodge past it and keep moving towards him. After this her mobility has most likely accellerated to it's max speed and she can punish him for it. I do this with Yoshi's eggs too. It's one the things you have to learn to abuse to get around dumb disjoints and projectiles.

Last edited:

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I'm not really a Jiggly main, but in the past week I've had a lot of fun tinkering with her. What gets me about her is the unpredictability of rest. I don't play against other people right now, so lvl 9 cpu is the format. I know that it's a substandard but here is what I see about rest. My 8 year old daughter loves to watch me play and when rest is used as a punish she is shocked. When I dash in and insted of fairing and rest on contact, she flips out and cheers. I think rest gives Jiggly the "OHHHHH!!!" moment in an 'it can happen any time' environment. Little mac has his KO punch and people love seeing it land. Cloud has finishing touch. Jiggly is recognized as a low tier, and rest makes it fun to watch her. It can happen at any time and in very precarious ways. It is even funner to play her because you're just one rest from getting a huge reaction from your spectators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom