• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mizzou Competitive Gaming presents The Missouri Gaming Championships

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Oh I'm dragging Toaster to this if he doesn't come. No freakin excuse will get him out of this one. Besides, he needs to team with Sinister for Team Sinister lol...

Jace08

Smash Lord
So I see it says that the event officially starts at 10am. But does anyone know the general schedule of the day and its various tournaments? Like what time should we arrive at the venue that morning, assuming not all of us have registered online?

ks0ccergk

Smash Cadet
Not going to be able to make it. Mizzou's spring football game is on saturday, so I have to be there instead : /

Jace08

Smash Lord
so should we arrive at the venue around like 10am then?

also Sinister or anyone involved in hosting can you pm me your number in case I need to contact you?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I have Berts number. I can give him yours and he can text you his if that's ok. If you need anything you could always text me...although I probably will refuse to help you. That or I would want to but not have any usefulness anyways...lol.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
so should we arrive at the venue around like 10am then?
This needs to be answered. The Springfield crew lives 3 hours from Columbia and it'd suck if we woke up at 6 in the morning to get there at 10 and then realize that melee isn't starting until 2 or something like that. No rush, but I'd be very nice to have answered by Friday afternoon. Springfield will be doing a tiny smashfest the night before and I'd be nice to know when we have to stop playing to sleep/get up.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Pre tournament johns:

Damn, I messed up guys. This whole week leading up to the tournament I thought that by playing Fire Emblem my Marth would get better...

Needless to say this was not the case and I haven't improved at all.

End Pre tournament johns.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Pre tournament johns:

Damn, I messed up guys. This whole week leading up to the tournament I thought that by playing Fire Emblem my Marth would get better...

Needless to say this was not the case and I haven't improved at all.

End Pre tournament johns.
You think thats bad? I've been playing Ocarina of Time and it hasn't effected my Fox or Falco gameplay at all :(

/johns

Lixivium

Smash Champion
It was really nice to meet and play everyone there, it's a shame I played so horrifically bad, especially against Ziv.

Mizzou is a pretty good location geographically and the venue was really nice. Just a few advice for the tournament organizers:

1) You MUST have a contact number for somebody. I had to call Bert like a dozen times to find this place.
2) Check Google Maps/Mapquest and make sure it gives the right directions or give detailed directions on the Smashboards page.
3) Tell people where they can park
4) Make sure the picture says "Melee" instead of "Brawl" (LOL)
5) Have someone who's willing to yell at people and get things moving, otherwise people will just play friendlies all day and nothing will get done.

I doubt I'll be able to go to any more of these, so best of luck to those running the tournaments.

Jace08

Smash Lord
^but they gave us free sandwiches! lol but yeah I pretty much agree with you Lixivium, good job stepping up to get things going and helping with the brackets and everything

What were the attendance numbers like?
I think there were 20 singles entrants

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
It was really nice to meet and play everyone there, it's a shame I played so horrifically bad, especially against Ziv.

Mizzou is a pretty good location geographically and the venue was really nice. Just a few advice for the tournament organizers:

1) You MUST have a contact number for somebody. I had to call Bert like a dozen times to find this place.
2) Check Google Maps/Mapquest and make sure it gives the right directions or give detailed directions on the Smashboards page.
3) Tell people where they can park
4) Make sure the picture says "Melee" instead of "Brawl" (LOL)
5) Have someone who's willing to yell at people and get things moving, otherwise people will just play friendlies all day and nothing will get done.

I doubt I'll be able to go to any more of these, so best of luck to those running the tournaments.
LOL @ the sign saying Brawl, that WAS really funny.

When you say "I doubt I'll be able to go to any more of these..." do you mean tournaments in general? Tournaments in Columbia? Or this particular tournament series, Missouri Gaming Championships.

Here is a little more results from what I recollect:
Doubles:
1) Jace and Strong Bad
2) Geno and Sam
3) Lixi and Sinister
4)Zivilyn Bane & Zantetsu

Singles:
1) Jace
2) Geno
3) Sinister
4) Zivilyn Bane
5) Lixi
5) StrongBad
7)Zantetsu
7)Akuma
9)Bert
9)Tempest
13)DrewBear
13)Jake
And I'm not sure from there. Anybody know? I know we still have Kellen and Dan, and two more people. We did two pools of like 4 in doubles and top two make it to 4 man bracket. Then in singles we did three pools. Two with 7, one with 6. Top 5 make it out. Then the players that don't make it out do their own pool and top 1 made it out (which was DrewBear). That gave us a 16 man bracket out of 20 people. I thought it was a cool idea but some people didn't.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
yeah sorry about the brawl thing. it was mentioned to the TO long ago that the flyer had brawl instead of melee, but he (obviously unfamiliar with smash) said they're pretty much the same. and since they already printed them or something, it was too late.

weak.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
yeah sorry about the brawl thing. it was mentioned to the TO long ago that the flyer had brawl instead of melee, but he (obviously unfamiliar with smash) said they're pretty much the same. and since they already printed them or something, it was too late.

weak.
This is exactly what happened... It wasn't a person familiar with melee who designed the flyers so they didn't catch their mistake until it was too late to change anything. We plan on doing this many many more times over the course of next year's school year... so see us back in action in the fall, and hopefully with regularly scheduled tournaments.

I appreciate everyone that contributed to helping set up and organize the tournament, that was the first time we had ever used that venue for anything and were really testing the waters with its capabilities.. I understand that people wanted to get in and get things rolling, and I'm glad that everything ended up working out smoothly. We had initially planned on using a different room, inside of that massive building which would of been better... but due to scheduling errors we were unable to get it and were given the spot we were at instead.

If you have any comments or things you'd like to add or see done differently, we'd gladly take them in consideration for the next time we have an event... I know that parking was a major issue this time, as was locating the building.

Top Bottom