• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK banned - how will europe proceed?

crifer

Smash Lord
Yeah, we all know it, MK ist officially after APEX banned.
How are we going to proceed as an european community?
Do we want to ban mk too in roder to accomplish an international united ruleset which is comparable?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I was about to make a thread for this.

I'm against banning MK, but in the end I'm afraid we might end up getting influenced by the ban.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
No.

If Germany (or any country) wants to ban him they're free to do so. Making it an international effort is a bad idea for the same reasons it's a bad idea to make a European ruleset in general.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I kinda think European players will be able to travel more in the near future. And having some countries where MK is banned and some where he isn't would make it rather weird.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Maybe Europe could go the other route and ban Brinstar, Frigate Orpheon and maybe Delphino to keep MK legal.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Brinstar should be banned with or without MK. Delphino / Frigate are fine stages with or without MK.

We don't need to do anything to "keep MK legal" - we just do what we've always been doing since day 1 long before there we even knew there would issues in regards to MK [which proves the point that we're not banning stages because of that one character].

:059:

Flayl

Smash Hero
You didn't have Brinstar banned day 1 >_>

I really don't understand why people want Brinstar banned for reasons other than MK either.

edit: King Funk it's funny how we both switched sides. I was anti-ban during the first poll.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
You didn't have Brinstar banned day 1 >_>

I really don't understand why people want Brinstar banned for reasons other than MK either.

edit: King Funk it's funny how we both switched sides. I was anti-ban during the first poll.
Play the game instead of posting here and you'll know.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I did. So did you. Go ahead and explain why Brinstar should be banned without saying MK.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
I don't care. Wathever attendants want.

Brinstar should be banned and this is not related with MK at all. That stage can't be legal.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Brinstar does stupid stuff to you that harms you [semi-] randomly
PS2 does stupidish stuff that doesn't harm you whatsoever

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Brinstar's ban in Melee: Constant interference by acid, Jigglypuff dominates on it.
Brinstar's ban in Brawl: Constant interference by acid, and I would say MK dominates on it (though I know Ness players and some other niche characters actually like it too).

But yeah, in Melee we didn't ban it till the stage got onesidedly dominated, while in Brawl we banned it because of the stage itself, with the added bonus that it is perceived as an auto-ban against MK. Even if it was banned because of MK, that's nothing unusual, you always ban stages before characters (or Melee wouldn't have Fox, Jiggs, Peach and arguably Falco legal anymore).

In response to the OP: We've already been sort of over this in other topics, but we don't need the rift the US is getting themselves into with this ban if we don't actually have the same problem. Unity made the choice to effectively split their community into two and doing the same thing here just because they did it would be a bad decision for the wrong reasons.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I'd rather play FD, SV, BF only with MK allowed instead of Big Stage List Minus MK.
Its all about teh Characters.
Stages can be for side-events or whatever.

I dont think we should ban him, we are fine atm. Our tournaments work perfectly fine with out rulesets atm.

Laem

Smash Champion
I'd rather play FD, SV, BF only with MK allowed instead of Big Stage List Minus MK.
Its all about teh Characters.
Stages can be for side-events or whatever.

I dont think we should ban him, we are fine atm. Our tournaments work perfectly fine with out rulesets atm.
Take FD off as well, incredibly polar stage just like brinstar. SV & BF only :D

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'd be totally down to play every single tourney match on BF for the rest of my career.

NNID
Budget_Player
Lol@Yaaay and Chair, we've been over how wrong you both are.

On topic: Metaknight is not, and never has been a problem in any European community as far as I can tell. Look at who's winning, and it's Marth, Olimar, Snake, and Wario–most of top tier minus Metaknight, in short. There is no major influx of MKs (in Germany about 5 people would lose their mains through the ban, of which the only truly relevant one is Staco). There are no signs that Metaknight will become dominant, beyond perhaps the self-fulfilling prophecies of people like Biggad and Kunai who claim that they will pick up MK if he is not banned because "He's the best" (in case you haven't noticed, I do not like these people).

Metaknight does not overcentralize the metagame.
Metaknight is not broken; this is demonstrated by the complete lack of overcentralization around him in the metagame.

If anyone else wants to name me a reason to ban a character beyond overcentralization and brokenness that doesn't essentially boil down to "Bawww we don't like the character", be my guest. In the meanwhile I will laugh derisively at any European community that decides to ban him. Here's looking at you, Finland.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Why address me in that monologue BPC LOL

Keep your posts to a single statement instead of pointing out how wrong we are about Brinstar only to have a lengthy essay on why MK should not be banned. You've already lost the fight on Brinstar and there's no point in going to argue about the stage's legality anymore.

The MK debate is already in your favor but there's no point in trying to discuss MK being overcentralizing in countries you don't know **** about. Your examples talk only of Germany, do you have the slightest idea of what's going on in France? I don't and I actually spend a lot of time getting to know things about the EU scene, I'd be surprised if you did.

Go ahead, laugh at other countries. Silly threat to be making, I don't presume I have to elaborate as to why.

NNID
Budget_Player
Why address me in that monologue BPC LOL

Keep your posts to a single statement instead of pointing out how wrong we are about Brinstar only to have a lengthy essay on why MK should not be banned. You've already lost the fight on Brinstar and there's no point in going to argue about the stage's legality anymore.
I was talking about PS2, lol, not Brinstar. :laugh:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cadet, the problem is that the way you argue is completely counterproductive to what you're trying to achieve. The longer you keep arguing the way you do the more people will start to disagree with you. So please, STOP ARGUING AGAINST THE MK BAN YOU WILL ONLY CONVINCE MORE PEOPLE THAT IT'S RIGHT TO BAN HIM. So I kindly ask you to stfu about the subject before you start to make matters worse, thanks.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Lol@Yaaay and Chair, we've been over how wrong you both are.

Which is why PS2 is still banned in many countries, because it's such an amazing stage!

Clearly getting punished for a jump and helplessly floating in the air (without holding jump) is not a bad position at all on the wind stage! It also gives me much joy to slide from one side of the stage to the other and **** up my spacing (NOT THAT THIS MATTERS) because of one little dash input (or just... landing and standing) on the ice stage! I also love how you can't stand still on 2/3th of the stage because of those lovely conveyors on the electropart of the stage (but at least your character loses some weight!).

Amazing stage really! Why won't we also allow Onett, Hanenbow and Summit now we're at it anyway?

:053:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
You main bowser right?
I won't even use like someone good.

MM my jigglypuff, 20 euros I'll show you why :troll:
brinstar should stay and MK should go to the bottom of hell
LOOOOL
if you want stages like PS2 to be allowed, then I don't see why Brinstar should be banned.

:053:
ps2 can eat a **** for all i care anyway
No it only puts you in the perfect position to be anally *****.

No direct harm whatsoever.
XD
LOL
its true though
Take FD off as well, incredibly polar stage just like brinstar.
Not really... :|
Just because you main like, the chain grab god, and then the god that gets ***** by every chain grab ever doesn't mean it's that bad for most MU's. It's in now way worse than lylat or YI.

Achoral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Achoral
In France, I've seen most players were glad of the MK ban.

However, la Crampe aux Doigts, the association who makes monthly tournaments (the "No Man's land" serie) in Lille (Rijsel for dutchies) and who is the reference for our Northern Region for like ANY competitive game, would like give a go to a whole new counterpick rule, maybe to avoid the MK ban.

I'm quoting and doing a quick rough translation of what Neath posted on the CubeForum :
Neath said:
During a best of 3, each players has 4 points to pick his characters. Each character's cost depend of his rank :

S & A Tier : 4 points
B & C : 3 points
D & E : 2 points
F & G : 1 point
H : 0 points

So you'll have to make a "team" of two characters (you can pick twice the same if he costs 2 points or less). Their total must not go past 4 points.
When a match is lost with a character, the player cannot use this character anymore and has to pick his counterpick with his remaining points.

It sounds like what they do in some other versus fighting games, but well, I don't think it's adapted to Smash. The whole community doesn't seem to enjoy this concept either btw
I don't know if its goal is to nerf MK but it sounds more like buffing him than anything else.
Imagine that you win your set with MK against a top tier player. In his next match he'll have to pick a low or a bottom tier -> freewin
Example : I took MK in the first round and he picked Peach. I won with MK, and my opponent takes Peach again, and wins (I dunno how), I have to choose my character with my remaining 0 points, thus a H tier one.
Well, I'm really not for this rule and I hope the NML is not going to try it

Flayl

Smash Hero
That sounds like a worse version of Crow!'s idea. Much worse. And I don't even like it in the first place (not as a main event).

edit: I've also never seen that rule for other fighting games.

Top Bottom