• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG has failed.

sidefx

Smash Champion
so.. about a couple weeks ago there was this brawl video competition. you get 90 seconds to show off what you got based on skill.. (we'll touch on that part again).

so.. i created my entry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5gvmUi_ug) and submitted it.

now lets go back to that skill part. from what the rules state: (http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/201427)

"Best Skill Video Submit a video of no more than 90 seconds that displays your Smash prowess. This video could be a compilation of amazing kills, sneaky moves, mastery of mind games or excellent use of glitches. If you think you’ve got the skills, put together a video and submit it."

so. here is the top 5 that MLG has picked.
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166492

Now.. as you can see.. the majority of the videos picked, were either based on pure editing flash, or.. lack of anything remotely close to what this video was supposed to be based on.

lets take for example.. Grayfox's submission. (http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/HMXtVxexN3o.html)

I seriously couldn't even sit through the whole video again.. so ill be short on how awful this video is.. at least take out the sound effects in the background if you're going to put music on it. Blah... horrible.

Heres another one. The Footstool archive. (http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/nWmowBCndD8.html)

This video contains nothing but footstool jumps. The end. Your asking how this video got picked? well thats what myself and many more are wondering as well.. INCLUDING.. the creator of this video Ryanator.

I seriously don't know who picked the top 5 videos in this competition.. but who ever it was... in the words of Overswarm "id like to find out who it was and **** in their lungs" thats basically how i feel. Overswarm has been kind enough to come up with some amazing analogies to this competition.

"a carpentry competition where a guy who makes a rocking chair wins because he painted it a pretty color blue"

"a martial arts competition where Steven Seagal wins"

"A driving contest where a walking man wins because he managed to avoid all the cones"

and many more.. but you can see where this is going. I could honestly care less about the prize money.. its 1000 dollars. Yeah its some nice pocket change, but if i were to win, it wouldn't all be going to me.. it would be split 3 ways due to 3 people working on my video. I take pride in what i do and create. Having MLG **** on that, but selecting the videos that have been selected (See above for the link to the top 5 videos) makes me irritated, angry, and bitter.

Now if you feel the same way i do.. please.. i urge you to post on this thread (http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166492) expressing yourself about how MLG has failed this competition, and has made brawl look like a complete joke to unsuspecting casual gamers.

Sorry for this long wall of text.. im just a bit aggravated the state of this competition, and how poorly organized it has been handled. It seriously feels like they forgot that this contest existed, and in their panic, searched the top views, and flashy videos, and made the top 5 from that. (3/5 of the top 5 videos were featured on the front page of MLG gathering exposure, and views, that its self is not fair imo either)

Thanks you for reading.

EDIT:

Some notable videos that were not selected in the top 5

Overswarm: ROB is Awesome - http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/Ria60Qk6fhsalsl0.html
Ryanator: The Pit - http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/usulpOT86yrWzs.html
paOol: Diddy Kong King - http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/TRYUrzMGorE.html

also.. this post isnt about how mine didnt get picked. Its about how crappy this competition turned out to be.. and how it wasted not only my time, but the time of who ever else deserved a spot in that top 5 as well. This just goes to show that MLG is out of the loop of the Smash scene, and they need to stop pretending they give a crap about it all.

EDIT:

Apparently MLG has heard of what was going on, and they decided to step up their game, and release another voting thread. This time its with ALL of the submissions, as a "Peoples Choice" kind of deal.

so. i urge you now, to go vote for your favorite video in this thread.
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166641

VOTE NOW!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
lmao at gray fox's combo video which consisted of mostly two hits...

This is ****ing hilarious and just demonstrates how ******** this game is that this kind of garbage can pass as a combo video.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Don't even joke, superstarmario.

I watched the Snake vid. I watched yours. Yours > Snake vid. Therefore, there was injustice. The rest is a matter of degree.

This is indeed BS. Does MLG have no integrity? They have no right to call those videos winners of the competition they specified. If they want to just handpick vids, that's fine, but they are lying to the community when they show these vids as winners of the contest they spelled out, and moreover they are just being A-holes to all the people who submitted good vids.

Simple as that.

To take action, people need to rally together in an appropriate forum (gamers can't get into mainstream media except through mass murder :(), where they will be heard, and raise these criticisms against MLG.

I don't know what that forum would be. . .

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Don't even joke, superstarmario.

I watched the Snake vid. I watched yours. Yours > Snake vid. Therefore, there was injustice. The rest is a matter of degree.

This is indeed BS. Does MLG have no integrity? They have no right to call those videos winners of the competition they specified. If they want to just handpick vids, that's fine, but they are lying to the community when they show these vids as winners of the contest they spelled out, and moreover they are just being A-holes to all the people who submitted good vids.

Simple as that.

To take action, people need to rally together in an appropriate forum (gamers can't get into mainstream media except through mass murder :(), where they will be heard, and raise these criticisms against MLG.

I don't know what that forum would be. . .
I KNOW! MLGS!

Prax

Smash Journeyman
The only good one out of the 5 was OryaN's. He showed some skill and had some of the best editing in a Brawl video that i have seen yet. You deserved to be in the top 5 for sure though. MLG sucks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Anyone that says Oryan's video is good has an IQ below 70. Probably 60.

I SO want to download that video, edit out all of his editing tricks, and just show his video.

Jump off and downair someone jumping straight towards the stage.

Jump and up+b someone that is way above you and not air dodging for some reason.

-__-;;

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Anyone that says Oryan's video is good has an IQ below 70. Probably 60.

I SO want to download that video, edit out all of his editing tricks, and just show his video.

Jump off and downair someone jumping straight towards the stage.

Jump and up+b someone that is way above you and not air dodging for some reason.

-__-;;
I'm just saying that his vid was the best of the 5. And I don't think you can judge my IQ level based on my opinion of a video.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So you're saying that one of the other 4 was better?
If I give you 5 piles of elephant dung of equal size and make you vote, I would hope you would have as much difficulty as I am right now.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Did I seriously just watch 90 seconds of footstool jumps?
The best ROB and Diddy Kong I've ever seen were not picked.
DBR was not picked.
MLG is terrible. They shouldn't have dropped Melee, and now that they've put some focus on Brawl they're making it look ridiculous.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If I give you 5 piles of elephant dung of equal size and make you vote, I would hope you would have as much difficulty as I am right now.
To be fair, none of the videos I've seen have any real 'combos' in them, including yours. That isn't to say you aren't a good player - It's just that under the definition of the contest, none of the videos really qualify.

Oryan's looks good to people because of the editing and the fact that he knows his spacing, but honestly, any good player should =/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I already gave my thoughts on this on the MLG forums. They weren't positive.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
To be fair, none of the videos I've seen have any real 'combos' in them, including yours. That isn't to say you aren't a good player - It's just that under the definition of the contest, none of the videos really qualify.

Oryan's looks good to people because of the editing and the fact that he knows his spacing, but honestly, any good player should =/
At least SOME of mine were combos. Most of it was just clips of strings. Good strings, but strings nontheless.

Oy.

This just makes me want to throw pineapples at cars.

Netz0r

Smash Rookie
The lack of decent videos in that top 5 disturbs me. Looks more to me like they were grading the video by how fast someone can transition kills with their "video editing" skills.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
At least SOME of mine were combos. Most of it was just clips of strings. Good strings, but strings nontheless.

Oy.

Let's compromise:

They were Brawl combos.

Under that banner, yeah, much better than most of the others.

Sliq

Smash Master

Oy.

YOU STOLE MY LINGO! I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!!!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
At least SOME of mine were combos. Most of it was just clips of strings. Good strings, but strings nontheless./QUOTE]

COMBOES DUN EXITS.
Though your ROB is beastly.

But in all seriousness though, I have to agree with the general consensus. The people over at MLG are absolutely horrible at critiquing these videos---and that's sad, considering that these are the guys that helped prop Melee up (somewhat) for the past couple of years.

I guess standards have fallen with Brawl...? I don't know. I haven't seen anything exceptional come out of Brawl "combo" videos as of yet gameplay-wise, with the exception of a few parts in the DBR submission (especially the bits with Hella and his Sonic. Up B pursuing is siiiiiiick). You do have to give kudos to Oryan for making his video flashy, even if it did lack the substance that makes it wholly entertaining.

Smooth Criminal

estion11

Smash Apprentice
@Overswarm... At that one part in your video when you were hanging on the ledge and marth tried to up b you and you immediately dodged it and re-grabbed the edge, how did you do that?! Did you wall cancel it on the ledge or was that and air dodge?

Top Bottom