• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Raleigh 2010 - Aug 27-29 - $7,000 to top8 - Tournament Underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Nick got gayed... pausing on accident while trying to mash out? I thought Pause was supposed to be off at MLG anyway...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've gone through myself and turned pause off on Wii's at MLG for this specific reason. However, there is no official rule that this needs to be done and I've seen players go in and physically turn pause on after I have turned it off. That whole "LRASTART" quitting fad has actually made pausing being on a popular option. Sigh.

After this event we will probably make it a rule that pause needs to be off. Though that carries its own risk (can't pause in the event a glitch happens or someone interrupts the match or a tv turns off accidently [though I've never seen that happen at MLG it has happened at locals]).

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
poor nick. i wanted him to win lol.

nj ny is in losers minus cheese i think.

expect some hype *** losers bracket matches now like mikehaze vs ally.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
no im just throwin out matches that have a high chance of happening now like

atomsk vs ally

adhd vs ally

mikezhaze vs adhd

nick riddle vs ally

ninjalink vs nick riddle

etc etc

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
How did they **** that up? Must have been some heavy miscomunication going on there.

At least the Falcos are still fine. They gonna be taking top spots cause of this.

Master Raven

Smash Master
How did CO lose to Fatal? LOL

Not discrediting Fatal but beating CO with Snake is tough as ****. Good job dude.

-!-

Smash Lord
this is getting craaazyyy lol i wanna see who'll take top 3 o.O? got my money on that yellow rat!

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Mew2king

Felix

Lee Martin

(Either Seibrik, Sky, Kel, or Grimace)

all of these are in the championships finals.

M2K vs Felix hype?

King~

Smash Champion
Tyrant lost to lee 2-1, he's playin fatal now2-0 tyrant

Nl v dehf 2-0 dehf

Esam v nickriddle nick won over esam

Kel v havok 2-1 havok

Cheese v Atomsk 2-0 Atomsk win

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Regarding the Will-Cheese situation:

Opening comments: http://bit.ly/aghigh -starting around 6:10 in the video:
"Regarding infinites. If it happens to you just yell out for the ref. DON'T PAUSE THE GAME. DON'T DO ANYTHING." -aZ

That is from my Columbus opening address. I gave essentially the same speech at both Raleigh and Orlando.

The situation was this: Will CP'd Cheese to DP. On their 2nd stock, Cheese small step chain grabs Will. Will thinks it is an infinite, so calls for the ref. At that point in time the ref was preparing Havok/M2K for game 2 of their set. However, the ref heard the call and stood up and reached Will/Cheese within 10 seconds (this is on video). Just before the ref reached them though Will paused the game, at which point Cheese wanted gameplay rule #5 enforced which states that you cannot pause without the referees permission. Throw in that I EXPLICITLY bring this very situation up in the opening comments of every MLG and it is pretty clear what the rule is. I understand Wills reaction, and I can sympathize with how it can suck to lose on a technicality.

Some other things to consider:
-Cheese won a game versus Nick Riddle by the pause rule. This should have at the forefront of anyones mind before playing him (aka check to turn off pause).

-We (me and Pierce) reviewed the game extensively. It was the small-step chaingrab.

Other food for thought:

At this years PGA tour championship where Dustin Johnson grounds his club on the 18th hole in a bunker (that no one, not even the officials, noticed was a bunker). They upheld the rule and enforced a 2-stroke penalty, which lead to Justin Finishing not finishing tied for 1st place. My point is that though these rules seem trivial they need to be enforced because that is what you do in a professional organization.

Will the rules change as a result of this tournament? Yes. We will either enforce a no-pause setting, or we will lower the penalty for pausing to a warning. Those seem to be the two most best options.

---

As a TO I can't do much more then explicitly mention a situation and how to handle it before it even happens. This goes from telling players to get to matches on time/well in advance to not pausing the game if they think a rule is being violated.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The small step chaingrab should've been banned anyway. Since the rule states that Dededes infinite is not allowed on DK, Mario, etc, and BOWSER, on which only the small step CG works, so since it works on DK too it should be banned on DK as well. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom