• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mobile Melee on the Go?

kainsword

Smash Journeyman

According to the following article, it's rumored that IBM may be working on a portable GameCube. Although I can't speak for the controls or how it will be implemented, the face of the matter is that it's simply a rumor. In fact, another site claims the find as well here.

However, if this turns out to be true, would you purchase one, if only for the sole reason of playing Melee on a hand held portable system?

Also, there have been other attempts to make mobile GameCube systems. Supposedly an unskilled modder made an attempt at a mobile GameCube, although the result is hideous or Photoshopped.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I declare shenanigans. This would have been at E3 XD

Take a look at the second picture in the second Article An MP3 player on a Nintendo handheld? Super Shenanigans not to mention that this looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and seeing quite a few shops in my time

/meme

By the way does this really belong in the Melee discussion thread, it's about a [fake] portable Gamecube with which it's only relation to Melee is playing Melee on it.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
The point isn't whether it's photoshopped or not... If such a product does get made 3 - 4 years down the road, the theoretical question is: would you buy it?

In fact, it's already very obvious that it's photoshopped, I mentioned that it's a complete rumor in the first post too. This isn't an analysis to see if the pictures are fake or not. In fact if all I said is that IBM is rumored to be working on a mobile GameCube, would there be this shenanigans of "IT'z reel... or mebe photo shop" "Nuu! tiz fAke!! just look at the grainy corner!"?

Point is, I know it's fake. You know it's fake. Everyone knows it's fake. However, if it were real, would you buy one?

Puddin

Smash Lord
No need to snap at me but you really left the impression that there was no topic and we were to simply discuss the system.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Then explain the ejected CD, while Wind Waker is being played on the screen? ;)

rhan

Smash Hero
kainsword said:
Point is, I know it's fake. You know it's fake. Everyone knows it's fake. However, if it were real, would you buy one?
The device looks kinda big to even hold. Most little kids who would get this wouldn't even be able to get thier hands around it. Also I play Melee to play others. This device doesn't seem to enable others to join in or anything. I do see the little wireless sign but even if it was possible to link up these things through a wireless signal, just to play others they need one of these plus the game of interest. How would mulitplayer games react to being played over a wireless signal when they wasn't made to?

Basically this portable Gamecube idea just leads into more and more questions that just cannot be answered thurouly and highly accurate.

QuickSi1ver

Smash Cadet
Its a product like the iPhone, you buy it to impress your friends more then play it, but then again the iPhone is awesome...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Then explain the ejected CD, while Wind Waker is being played on the screen? ;)
Heh. Fail.

Would I buy a portable GameCube? As long as they fix that controller, heck yes. Melee on the go, against someone or not, would be plain awesome. I'd bring it everywhere, and if someone's ever ticking me off I just pull it out, blow a CPU out of the water and then I feel better.
Therapy on the go!

But seriously, the Gamecube is one of my favorite systems, so if I could get a portable one I wouldn't even stop to think before buying it.

Interesting note though, someone I know is working on making a portable NES. Pretty awesome.

rhan

Smash Hero
Heh. Fail.

Would I buy a portable GameCube? As long as they fix that controller, heck yes. Melee on the go, against someone or not, would be plain awesome. I'd bring it everywhere, and if someone's ever ticking me off I just pull it out, blow a CPU out of the water and then I feel better.
Therapy on the go!

But seriously, the Gamecube is one of my favorite systems, so if I could get a portable one I wouldn't even stop to think before buying it.

Interesting note though, someone I know is working on making a portable NES. Pretty awesome.
The bold gave me a laugh.

If this would come true. Playing Melee on it for me wouldn't be an option for me. Any 1 player game would be perfect for it though. Another thing about this device, how would you transport it? It's not going to be tiny like a gameboy. You'll basically need a book bag just to lug it around with you.

Playing it in public would make you look kinda rediculous also....<.<

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I might buy the system, but not for Melee. I love Melee for the multiplayer, not for playing against CPUs. But what I would find cool is if they found a way to be able to play against other people within a certain vicinity. That would be pretty cool.

Another question: How would you save? You can't save on the actual disc and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for a memory card.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Actually, it looks big in the pictures but if you consider how small the disks are and in comparison to the ejected disk it's only about... 5 inches wide. That's about a gamecube disk and a half, which is also close to the gameboy advanced SP width.

It's be cool but there's absolutely no way it's being made. I wouldn't buy it because if it had an MP3 player added to it(for no reason I'll add) it would cost a ridiculous ammount of money. Imagine not only making a gamecube that's only 5 inches wide and it looks like about 2-3 inches tall but also that has a ****ING MP3 player in it!

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
Meh.

Looks kinda uncomfortable to play it...

And playing melee on it would be pointless...I wouldn't buy one cuz the gamecube is on the verge of extinction almost...

rhan

Smash Hero
AetherLord said:
...gamecube is on the verge of extinction almost...
I play my Gamecube more then my Wii or Ps2. :/ Plus the Wii will die soon also. Only good games they have are Legend of Zelda, Metriod Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Brawl? Only reason I'm keeping my Wii is because of Tales of Symphonia 2.

okiyama said:
Actually, it looks big in the pictures but if you consider how small the disks are and in comparison to the ejected disk it's only about... 5 inches wide. That's about a gamecube disk and a half, which is also close to the gameboy advanced SP width.

It's be cool but there's absolutely no way it's being made. I wouldn't buy it because if it had an MP3 player added to it(for no reason I'll add) it would cost a ridiculous ammount of money. Imagine not only making a gamecube that's only 5 inches wide and it looks like about 2-3 inches tall but also that has a ****ING MP3 player in it!
Wow I forgot that gamecube disc's were that tiny...(Stupid moment) So that solves the transportation probelm I stated earlier. It's possible for this to fit into pockets of the average gamer.

Well like it was said in the previous posts, there doesn't seem to be a memory card slot. So trying to save would be kind of pointless. And if it has external memory then people would have to restart on thier progress and there would be no way to transer data.

And on the price of the product...I would estimate...about 180 - 250 $. If the screen is an LCD screen that would basically be what's making the device so expensive.

Oracle

Smash Master
I play my Gamecube more then my Wii or Ps2. :/ Plus the Wii will die soon also. Only good games they have are Legend of Zelda, Metriod Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Brawl? Only reason I'm keeping my Wii is because of Tales of Symphonia 2.
Actually, the Wii will probably last longer than the other systems because of nintendo whoring themselves out to the ******** 10 year olds that make up the majority of the causal community.

Back to the thread:
My logic is that the gameboy color was more advanced than the snes, the DS was more advanced than the n64, so the next nintendo handheld will probably be stronger than the gamecube and have a remake of melee.
Hopefully.

LLDL

Smash Hero
lol i saw that picture when I was like 10 yrs old. (i am now 16)

rhan

Smash Hero
Another problem is how do you play anyonelse on it. It would be more fun if there was anything to connect it to but this still kinda looks fake.
I asked the same question a couple of posts back. I still haven't gotten an answer though...

Also it is fake. I guess we're just discussing if this would to come out in stores or such. :/

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The biggest reason this is fake: Nintendo didn't try to use this to john hardcores into thinking they still care about us.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I would, And thats just a mock up. But then again Im a huge nintendo fan boy and I have a portable car set up anyway.

LSDX

Wah!
Can anyone say wireless online Melee? Anyway, it's true that there is a design flaw if the screen were to be closed, it would mesh with the analog stick. This could work however if the screen we're to rotate and be flipped to the bottom; just an idea.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps if they added a controller port to it. Then it would be fine. The fact of it being kind of hard to make handhelds be able to control that kind of game is one thing. And like AetherLord said, it'll be a challenge to hold

Overload

Smash Lord
I saw this a while back, like almost two years ago. I went insane and hoped it was real. Turns out this is just a mockup. Fake. Won't happen.

Shasta

Smash Cadet
If there was a mobel gamcube thd be cool but there would be to many glitches just looking at the picture so i would probly wait till the next model came out
if the mobel in the picture came out*

FrostFalco

Smash Rookie
If it came out, I would definitely buy it. What can be better than Melee on the go? But it would be better if they made it like a psp, ya know?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
The commercial for this would be hyped up like those for the Pokemon games on the DS. Two guys on a random street seeing each other holding this system. One guy with Mario behind him suddenly, the other with Link behind him. Then they rush at each other!

If this thing could go online and not lag, I would probably go for it. No more excuses from noobs who don't want to get owned. NO MORE BEGGING 7 DIFFERENT TEACHERS TO LET YOU USE A TV! He, he... "After school, 3:00!"

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
lol i saw that picture when I was like 10 yrs old. (i am now 16)
My idea, that picture was just put there for emphasis, but if a portable GC system came out, that would be awesome, more like a new system backward compatible with GC disks, but able to support more new software, online functionality. I would like to see a revamped Melee with online for a portable GC2.0(3.0).

Candide

Smash Apprentice
As for the design flaw of the control stick when closing the device, I could see it collapsing into the bottom half, then being popped and locked back out for play.

Top Bottom