• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Modchips

Theftz22

Smash Lord
My wii makes obnoxious buzzing sounds when I play it, I'm pretty sure the DVD drive is about to break, I think it's less energy efficient (?), I hate having to keep a wiimote charged up, and I don't want to have to go through homebrew every time to start up hacked melee.

So I want to use my hacked melee on gamecube. At first I though SD Media launcher was the best way to go, but I heard it crashes a lot and has lots of weird audio bugs. So I think I'll go with modchips. Does anyone have any experience using modchips for hacked melee? Specifically, what is the best one to buy? I've been looking at the Xeno, mainly for its price and ease of installation, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Has anyone used the Xeno?

Thoughts?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Try dios-mios (for usb) or dios-mios-lite (for SD cards from the front SD slot). There are better alternatives to both DVD-R loading and modchips now for GC hacking.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Ok, forgive me if this is stupid but I don't understand how dios mios can be used for running hacked melee on the actual gamecube. On the dios mios page it says "DIOS MIOS (Lite) - Play your Nintendo GameCube disc backups on Wii from an USB device or SD card". I can definitely understand how this would work for wii since there is a slot for an SD card, but how does it work on gamecube? Is there a hardware component somewhere that I can't find?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
he's just talking alternative methods for using your wii. But yeah, don’t worry about using the Gamecube now that you don’t have to use a DVD. Although I’m not sure how to do this, you can have your wii boot to the bootmii (if that’s the right term) menu where you use your reset and power buttons to choose what menu you want to go to. From there you can choose homebrew channel and then navigate with your gc controller – no wiimote needed

Theftz22

Smash Lord
The wiimote and homebrew things really aren't the biggest deal; I'm most worried about the DVD drive breaking (prob not gonna bother getting it fixed), and the annoying buzzing sound. I'm really interested in playing the hacks on GC, and AFAIK modchips are the best way to do that.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yes, I have a Gamecube with XenoGC and it works fine.

Kadano

Magical Express
I have a Gamecube with a Qoob Pro modchip, cost me 30€ – about 40$. It works fine too, but the installation took several hours and you should bring some frustration tolerance if this is your first time soldering. Don't expect it to work flawlessly right from the start. Also, the Gamecube you're modding should be one of the old models (DOL-001 with the Digital AV Out) as they have DVD drives better suited for laser tweaking.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Also, the Gamecube you're modding should be one of the old models (DOL-001 with the Digital AV Out) as they have DVD drives better suited for laser tweaking.
How important is this? What would the problems be if I modded it onto my DOL-101 GC?

hectohertz

Smash Ace
my laser on my wii died, i just play games off an sd-card or hard-disk.

a lot cheaper than mod chips and tweaking lasers

Top Bottom