• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Model injecting help

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
Hello!
I've been using Brawlbox for some time and I've been trying to inject models from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and such. I've seen many different tutorials, but I can't seem to get it. I extract files in arc format and can't seem how to get it in brres format any help? Thanks!

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
Never mind! I got it. I have a new problem though.
When I open it in Brawlbox and try to preview the model it gives me an error.
Any help?

Here's what the error says:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click
Continue, the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue.
If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Pointer startlndex and length do not refer to a valid string.
Parameter name: ptr.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
well, if you can't view the model in BrawlBox, you probably haven't hexed it yet. this shows how to hex it yourself, and it also has a few programs that do the hexing for you if you don't want to do it by hand.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263127

once you get it hexed, then my guide will help you in getting rid of the various glitches and issues it will have, since i'm assuming you want to either make a new character, or just replace a current one.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
alright, it's done.

http://www.mediafire.com/?77j4ra7095p1d04

the reason that the auto hexing programs didn't work is because there's more than one model in the .brres file. the auto hexer programs can only handle one model per .brres at a time.

and i would have recorded myself, but i don't have anything to do that with. so if you need to do it again and the .brres has more than one model in it, make a copy, then just make sure that there's only one model in one of the .brres files, then run the auto hexers.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
You are amazing! Thank you so very much!
I've got to do something this morning, but
I'll be able to try it around noon.
Once again, thank you!

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
O.k. So the error is gone, but he's all black.

This is very wierd. I ripped a star coin and
Yoshi and both worked perfectly. When I try
Lemmy it doesn't work.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
i take it that's when you look at him in BrawlBox. turn off the textures called lm_01, lm_02, and env_magic_wand, and that will make him show up properly.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
It works! Amazing! Last thing (hopefully)
when I try to import an animation he doesn't
move when I hit play.

Also while I'm talking to you, it's
a little off topic but here we go.
I replaced a model and changed the animation
to fox's (I did not make a change to the animation file),
but when it runs it snaps back.
I read a reply that you wrote Dec. 2010 to
the same issue, but it doesn't work for me.
Here's the link.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?;topic=16523.0

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
basically, you'll have to make all new animations. that's one reason why most model replacement projects never get done. the animation is only applied to a bone that has the exact same name as the one that it was applied to. say you want to move the arm, and the arm is named LArmJ. once you move it the way you want, that will only apply to a bone called LArmJ, and it doesn't matter if it's the arm or not. even if you renamed it to LArmN, the animation won't be applied.

as for the snap back issue, you need to rename a bone to TransN, then re-index it with Tabuu to match the bone you renamed on Lemmy. this is more where my guide will help, but i would suggest renaming the bone skl_root to TransN, and spine to HipN, that way you will fix the snap back issue with running (the TransN part), and Brawl won't freeze when you grab Lemmy (the HipN part), after fixing the indexes with Tabuu.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
wait, Little Mac now? sorry, i must have missed something. you're putting Little Mac on who? and that's the one you're having the running issue with?

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
O.k. This thread is about Lemmy. I thought while I was talking to you I would ask another question off topic. Is that all right? If it is, then here is my off topic problem.

I'm trying to replace Yellow alloy (Zakochild) with the Little Mac Assist Trophy model.
Then I replaced Yellow Alloy's animation with Fox's to reduce stretching. Now when Little Mac walks he keeps snapping back to the same place I started walking from.

I'm so sorry I didn't specify. :urg:

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
no, that's fine, i must have just missed it.

anyways, the reason that happens is because the TransN bones don't match up. Little Mac's is at index 2, while the Yellow Alloy's is at 3. the easiest way to fix it will be to rename Little Mac's XRotN bone to TransN, and the current TransN to something else. the slightly harder way (but the better way) is to edit the FitZakoChild.pac in Tabuu (the program), and change the Bone Reference of the TransN from 3 to 2. either way works fine, and if you want to use the Tabuu way, my guide has a section on how to use it.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
I'm so busy right now so I can't try it.
I can, though, on Thursday.
I'll reply to see if it works!

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
It work now. O.k. One last thing for Zakochild.
When I punch 3 times in a row he goes into T-Stance.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
uh, probably a missing animation, i'm not too sure on that one.

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
Attack13 for the Yellow Alloy, and probably one that has a 3 in Little Mac's animations.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
I works perfectly! Now. I heard there is no way to swap models with actual characters in the game. (Like Mario and fox) is that true?

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
like putting Mario's model on Fox? of course you can do that. if you have a model in .mdl0 format, you can put it over any character you want, including already in Brawl models. it's just that not many people feel the need to do so, because the character is already there and working. but, yes, you can do it. the issue is that if you don't port the animations as well, then you get some weird model stretching, and there might be some oddities when doing certain moves and other things, like holding items in strange spots.

edit: or do you mean like putting Little Mac or Lemmy on Mario (as an example)? because that's also possible, it just takes a little more to fix. generally, the model needs more bones first, and in my guide i have a link to a bone adding program, and full lists of important things that all the regular fighters have (mainly bone counts, so you know how many bones you need to add to the new model).

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
Alright. New problem. So I put Little Mac's model on luigi. Works fine.
When I try to walk it snaps back. So what bones do I have to rename for Luigi?
Second, when I go to grab a object the game freezes. Is it on your guide?

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
hmm, Little Mac on Luigi, this is going to take just a little more than renaming a few bones. if you were to just rename the necessary bones, you'd be renaming Little Mac's arm bones, and that would throw everything off. so the way to fix it will be this, in my guide i have a section on how to use a program called Tabuu. it will show you how to change the bone references you need to change to make Little Mac work on Luigi.

same with the item grab glitch, you need Tabuu to find the reference, but then a little bit of hexing is needed. i have that part right at the top for now, as well as somewhere in the middle.

sorry about just telling you to go there, but i really don't feel like re-typing all of that out. but you can always just ask questions if you're confused.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
No problem, I understand.
I'm not a very good (or know a lot about) how to hex.
I have all the programs, so I just have to learn how to do it.
I'll try to do your guide and I'll write any questions I have here.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
Quick question before I get started.
Would it be easier to swap Little Mac on Captain Falcon?

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
well, i suppose it could be a little easier, since you could use the model you put over the Yellow Alloy onto Falcon and already have the TransN bones match, since Falcon's TransN is 3. but that would probably be the only thing that would be easier.

but what would be easier than Falcon, is a character that has a TransN of 2, because that matches Little Mac's without the need to rename any bones. at the end of my guide is a list of character's important bones, with one list being for TransN indexes. i'd probably suggest going with a TransN 2 character, but that's only if you want to avoid using Tabuu.

Wellington2k

Smash Rookie
One thing, I also heard that you can only swap a character model (like Mario) with a model from a wii game. Is that true?

:phone:

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
it only has to me a model in the .mdl0 format. it just happens to be that this format is only used on the Wii. and of course, not all Wii games use .mdl0. there's a thread in the Brawl Workshop General about what Wii games have the .mdl0 format, and how to fix them so that they work in Brawl, which then leads into my guide on how to fix the glitches they will inevitably have.

keromonkey

Smash Rookie
Hey, I don't want to post this as my own thread yet (Cuz I dont wanna get digitally yelled at lol), but I have a model for Terra Branford from Dissidia (psp). I have the models in .smd, .obj. and .dae and though I hear ther's a .dae to Mdl0 converter being worked on (http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=17547.1305) it isn't finished yet, so I was wondering if anyone could point me toward how to hex edit a .dae so that its an acceptable mdl0 or brres or something, please and thankyou very much

Monkey

Top Bottom