• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
not to get political in this *****, but ron paul supporters are good at making propaganda for the younger voters.

DRGN

Technowizard
Good watch.

I have more than one friend who have watched the films lots of times. And needless to say it's led to a number of discussions. :p

After watching that I think I have an even better understanding of the events in the films; there's so much it's all certainly not something you can pick up after seeing or talking about it just a few times.

Besides the depth of meaning behind like every line, there's tons of inconspicuous detail in the visuals themselves too. There are references to religious passages in license plates and on walls. And many ships are metaphors of ideas. Like the Logos for example that was mentioned in the documentary (though to me it seems like the 'word' was essentially a particular enlightenment for the machines, with a slightly different message for both Smith and the Source). The Nebuchadnezzar (Morpheus' ship) alludes to King Nebuchadnezzar and the meaning behind a dream. In one of the Books of Daniel, he says, "I have dreamed a dream," then asks for its meaning, but when asked to explain what he saw says, "The thing is gone from me." In the movie when the Neb is destroyed, Morpheus says, "I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me." (I think he says it because he starts questioning his beliefs and the meaning behind what's happening.) There are allusions like that everywhere; it's crazy.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hugo weaving all day.

i'm not familiar with philosophy, so when i watched that documentary, i would go "OH SNAP! i thought i made that up!" about something someone famous said. i'm finding out that i already know a lot of what is covered in an intro philosophy class just through what feels like common sense. logical steps can lead to philosophical heights.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha, true that kenny. lots of things i thought about were covered in philosophy, and taken to further levels than i had imagined. i really enjoyed the part in the documentary about the return to the Body in reloaded, and how the notion of "tantra" is applied

it's very important to me because i study the "Theology of the Body" as a branch of catholic teaching by pope john paul ii. really compelling stuff

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i've always been interested in studying the different philosophies of the different theologies...
but i'm not respectful enough yet. as much as i pride myself as a person of open mindedness, i'm still not at a point where i understand how religion still functions in a modern world.

the deeper a discussion goes about religion, the more it feels like people wearing strange clothes believing in santa claus. i know that's ignorant, but i can't get over yet. when i was 10 i had an epiphany.

before that day: "why are we all pretending this book is fact?"
that day: "THEY AREN'T PRETENDING??"
after that day: "different people believe different things" *try super hard not to think it's *********

i'm not free of ego yet. i'm not mature enough to handle it the way i would like to.

edit: i should not have to say this, but just in case... no disrespect to anyone's beliefs. some of the people i respect most believe things i don't. that's fine. (i love you, andre)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I never actually got around to doing that church thing I told you about way back when kenny (Mostly due to the fact that I wanted to sleep in on sundays lol). I may try to do it again though, mainly due to the fact that I don't really have anything to do at the moment. I wonder if weird religious people will start stalking me or try to indoctrinate me into their system everytime I run into them at the grocery store. When I moved into my neighborhood I had several people stop by and give my family cake and cookies with a little note attached advertising their church. They still bother me about going everytime I run into one of them outside while I'm getting the mail. I don't think I would really need to worry about it at all if I didn't live in such a tiny religious town where everyone knows everybody else.

Since kenny brought it up I feel that I should also mention that andre is my favorite religious person ever. You're very knowledgeable about stuff and respectful of other people's beliefs which is something I don't see very often around Ripon.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahah. one of my main weaknesses around the gamer environment is that it always tends to bring out my potty mouth. LOOOOl i can't help getting salty sometimes.

but anyway, kenny, i honestly do understand your situation. there was a point where i didn't really respect atheism, but when i looked more into physics and cosmology, i really understood the way the world REALLY worked. i understood the beauty of science and i really began to question my faith. i learned that atheism not only makes sense, it is the default mindset for learned people.

i am still a practicing catholic because i find the faith fulfilling. however i can never really be 100% confident in what i'm doing... i do it because i know that my life can be legitimately changed by living the way i should. the vast majority of self-proclaimed catholics hardly even understand what they are doing at all. they justify their actions really poorly even if they are doing something right, because they never studied anything like philosophy or debate.

but we do get a lot of things right, especially morally. that's usually what affirms my faith. catholics believe in human nature more than we believe in the bible. our body in its natural state is our foremost source, not the bible.

i remember the point where i reached agnosticism, then atheism, then faith again. it was a really funny moment and i will never forget it. it was basically when i realized that faith doesn't make any sense. faith is circular reasoning. to have faith, you just have it.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
well **** me in the *** sideways eighty seven times. i had a huge essay written up in response to what you guys were talking about and was very insightful, and then i tried to create a new tab to google how to spell a word correctly... and accidently closed the tab. god ****ing damn me in the bunghole.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
the gist of it all though was that kenny nick and andre are 3 people that i greatly enjoy debating and discussing these types of issues with and many more... then (insert giant block of text that i dumb****edly deleted)

<3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahahahahahah. if i ****ed you in the *** sideways 87 times, i hope that you would forgive me 70 x 7 times.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
the reason andre is awesome about his beliefs is because he doesn't come across as ignorant and isn't known to shoot down the ideologies of others (that i know of). i have no sense of his hidden agenda. even the pastor i work with who i found so inspiring has since left me greatly disappointed. there are only so many times i can hear him try to get people to go to his church without me resenting his persistence.

what i've analyzed from my heated interactions with him:
i fully understand that a person in his position might feel like everyone is leading themselves down a sinful path. i also see how he might feel responsible for saving all these people in such a dark place.

the thing blocking my path to full acceptance of his behavior is the same thing that makes him so persistent to make a lesbian feel like she needs to fix her horrible ways. i realized that i'm not above everyone else in this regard because, as a human, i have great difficulty grasping the fact that people don't always believe what i believe.

convincing myself that i'm so accepting of others is part of my ego.
"i'm comfortable with gay people because i'm open minded and understanding."
"i don't understand why he thinks gay people are wrong. that doesn't make sense."
it's just as hard for me to accept his disapproval as it is for him to accept my approval.

even in the act of acknowledging my flaws is maintaining my ego.
i feel like i'm better than most people because i am aware of my shortcomings.

edit:
man, i definitely would like to start a podcast...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i find most religious views on homosexuality both disturbing and incomplete. i personally feel that i need to know more about it and talk to more gay people about how they feel concerning religion. if a belief is making them feel ostracized, then i can't welcome it as my own.

the reason i carry myself the way i do is because i have taken on a purpose of love and compassion toward anybody. kindness matters infinitely more than knowing what lines to cite in a book. talking about issues like abortion and homosexuality is so touchy because it tries to find wide, sweeping truths that will pervade all situations.

i am not a lawyer, so i can't possibly do that. but if i try to be kind, caring, and reasonable with each person i come across, i will make a bigger difference than if i argue. the beauty of this is that it can be reached without religion. i just happen to believe in many Catholic things, like the Eucharist, and people can make fun of me for it but i don't really care, because it is fulfilling for me.

kenny, i also think it is a problem with many christians that they see "evangelization" as an obligation rather than an opportunity. they see individuals like "this person MUST be saved" rather than "i want to be kind to this person." it's difficult to convert the prior mindset into compassion. it's like they see it as their responsibility and they want to fulfill it for themselves. it's like, save yourself first dude.

edit: by the way, i just watched disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and it's hella relevant to this conversation lol. the "good guys" are an ugly outcast and a gypsy, and the bad guy is a catholic judge who is overcome by lust.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i totally feel ya on both aspects

that feeling of "damn i made so much money today cause my feet are so tired"

and the wanting to share random stupid things that don't really matter but you just gotta share

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
the modesto thread has become an outlet for me like a blog. lol glad to share it with you all.

this thread is open to whatever. i can't remember the last time someone posted in this thread with even a hint of sincerely negative intent. it was probably me...

MacD

Banned via Administration
this thread is so weird to me

sometimes i just skim posts and don't read anything, and sometimes i'm randomly in the mood to read all the walls of text

and i still love the fact that most everyone in this thread doesn't live in/near modesto

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
kenny you should try writing a blog

and when you don't know what to talk about, just try typing stream of consciousness for like 15 minutes

i kind of wanted to do this and needed a buddy to encourage me to keep doing it, since i know i'm mad lazy and would probably stop after the first day

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
spenser - irvine
me - alameda
macd - irvine
kenny - killeen, tx
xilopryce - gaia online, tx
jr - somewhere in socal/stockton
keith - ceres
nick - ripon

fly_amanita - modesto is not a place, it's an ideology

suuwo - modesto HOLY ****

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
modesto is still the common denominator (what's smash? lol).
admit it. no matter where you are or where you were, you will always feel a connections to modesto whenever it is mentioned.

i use this as my blog. i'm pretty sure at least 3 people read each of my posts and that's probably as much as i'd get on facebook or twitter. yayuhzz.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WTF REALLY????????????????????????????

dude

lol

bring kenny

bring pizza

bring a priest!!!

(an eggzylio-priest.)

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
regardless of how far the metagame has advanced, nobody like playing against a decent peach.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't mind playing against peach at all actually (as long as I'm using zelda)

Playing against her with any other character though (especially fastfallers) makes me rage

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i ****ing hate peach

even playing the ****ty ones is annoying

even if i beat them, its like idk what i did to win

no offense to any peach players, they are all cool in my book. but **** your character

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
yeah.... playing against peach is ****ing bull**** with marth.... even though he beats her on paper right? or has the tier list changed since last i looked.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Keith, actually people are being more open to saying that the matchup is even on paper. Peah's dash attack and turnips are mad strong against Marth, but peach really has to choose her approaches carefully to not get outranged.

I have a lot of mental theory against peach which is why I'm not really nervous against her. Jr, u said u don't really realize what u did right of wrong.. this is because peach's bait and punish game is actually not that strong, but her trades/attrition game is soooo good. So losing to peach is usually due to technical errors on our part, not knowing what is safe against her, and LOSING TRADES. She mainly loses to superior mobility, which actually very few characters can do, namely fox, falcon, jigglypuff, and maaaybe pikachu (though peach can win mad trades with pikachu if she realizes his game plan.) Peach has options that will outprioritize everything, even against Sheila and Marth who try to play safe. Nothing is safe against peach, so u have to try to bait her into doing something laggy, like dsmash or dash attack, or outspace a float cancel aerial which is hard because she has 0 frames of lag. I think we get frustrated due to stupid trades, sometimes we feel like we have to approach her. We kinda do, but we just gotta keep our head in the game and adapt constantly because she has options for everything. She is a big ball of priority, but slow moving. She is able to pressure every character with trades except jigglypuff.

Perhaps she can't really trade with zelda and Gabon but those characters are freakin slow and have to deal with turnips

In theory she can also lose to suuuuper gayness, like a dedicated needle camping Sheik (ntsc needle grab dthrow!) or a strong young link that chooses his camping methods well. Puff beats her bc puffs hair ***** everything peach has. Basically if a character can avoid her and not trade anything, she can lose... But I don't see that being realistic for most characters lol. If I was to choose a character to fight her with, id personally pick fox myself. Pp and mango have shown that beating armada is possible with spacies if u play legit and outplay her, but armada is just so excellent with that character.

:phone:

Top Bottom