• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Money or Matches?

JoeJenkins

Smash Rookie
Sup everybody! :chuckle:

Now, I was just thinking (with my local tournament this week) what is more important to smash players when it comes to competitions? Is it to win the prizes or is it to compete? Leave me a reply telling me what is more important to you. Money or Matches? Explain to me why you feel that way. I'll start off...

Matches

Matches are the most important part to me when it comes to a tournament. I feel that the reason I am there is not to make a sum of money, but to see where I stand as a player. I play competitively not to brag, but to record my progress as a gamer. When it comes down to it, I would pay lots of money to compete in a tournament that had no prizes, just to play the best people in the world. To me, it isn't about winning to show dominance. Winning isn't about being the best, it is about showing how you have improved and learned. Personally, I am a strong believer in "there is always somebody better than you."

Moooose

Smash Champion
cool topic
the majority of smashers never get to place in the top, so the motivation must not be money for most people. personally the drive to improve is my motivation, but money is an indicator of success to me so to me they are intricately linked

JoeJenkins

Smash Rookie
Good point Moooose. Money can sometimes act like a trophy to some players, I believe. And to be honest, I expect most people to say matches are more important, but I could be wrong. I want people to give me the cold hard truth lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
At first it was motivation to prove myself.

When you have motivation to improve I feel like its the best way to improve.

That and having a rival of some sort that you know you feel you can beat. Basically a player at or very close to your skill level relatively.

I really wanna beat a few players in my region which makes me want to get better. Though I'm feeling less confident about it the more I play :urg:

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Motivation and the drive to improve. The people that play for money are brawlers, no joke.

Top Bottom