• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yeah, I see a lot of people use LS vs Los. IMO LS is good for the range and the fact it's easier to hit him while airborne, but Los moves around a lot and I often find it hard to keep up with him using a LS.

Are you farming online or off?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I see a lot of people use LS vs Los. IMO LS is good for the range and the fact it's easier to hit him while airborne, but Los moves around a lot and I often find it hard to keep up with him using a LS.

Are you farming online or off?
Offline, I actually went with SA. SA in sword form I took him down easy. It seemed quite easy to punish him. I only really use SA/LS/GS atm, and LS prolly would work, but I like how SA fared me.

Also, is sharq attack any good? One day I may pick up Lance, and this lance looks weird. It seems good, but the raw damage feels too low. Other lances (like 5 of them) seem to be noticeably better.

At first, I wanted to all the event quests to have "Done" marked on them, but now that I know they do not show completion, I'm not doing this one if I don't really need too.

Gah777

Smash Lord
The water lances aren't too great in general and in most cases can be substituted for the Sabertooth. If you're going to get into Lancing I recommend using these lances:

-Banderlance Byakko
-Alatreon Lance
-Sabertooth
-Amphitrite (generally outclassed by the Alatreon lance in most cases)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, might be a while before I branch off into Lances. Also what does more damage, SA in Axe or Sword form?

Gah777

Smash Lord
Depends on the Axe. For example the Black Harvest does more damage in Axe mode unless you're fighting a monster that's heavily weak to dragon (i.e. Rathalos). That's because it has an Elemental Phial which boosts the strength of the elemental attacks in sword mode. On the other hand, the Great Inceadeus does more damage in Sword mode because it has a Power Phial, which boosts raw attack power in Sword mode.

Axes with Elemental/Paralysis/Dragon Phials
-Axe mode does more damage unless you're fighting a monster weak to the Element you have.

Axes with Power Phials
-Sword mode does more damage regardless of the monster. Keep an eye on your sword gauge though, you want to mix it up a little with axe mode so you don't have to reload constantly. Constant damage > Sword spam then pausing to reload.

I really like using both modes as they make the game more interesting and have great aspects. The Axe has great reach, especially with that overhead swing, and sword mode is more maneuverable (less endlag on attacks I believe).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I just know on Rathalos it was nice because the Sword form was fairly easy to maneuver under his belly and on his head. HR15 with my Gf now, we're getting there :D

Gah777

Smash Lord
I remember back when I was around that HR... I thought the HR 30's were legit and I freaked out any time I saw someone over HR 50... lol now I'm like HR 100-something and I haven't played in a while >.<

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I wind up having to go out of the village just to reacclimate myself to the controls after I don't play for a while lol.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
The water lances aren't too great in general and in most cases can be substituted for the Sabertooth. If you're going to get into Lancing I recommend using these lances:

-Banderlance Byakko
-Alatreon Lance
-Sabertooth
-Amphitrite (generally outclassed by the Alatreon lance in most cases)
The Banderlance is cool, but it's not like it stays sharp that long anyways, so that already subpar fire element isnt exactly all that. Easy to make and has 2 slots though...And Amphitrite is also cool, mainly bc of the high elemental strength. If you were to use either of those lances, I hope you have on Razor Sharp too, but the fact of the matter is that there arent that many monsters in the game weak to fire/lightning, and in those cases, it's better (most of the time) to use another lance. I only use lightning against Royal Ludroth and Gobul, and I don't ever use a fire lance at all since the Alatreon Gleam outclasses it instantly with purple sharpness. Since you're only HR 15 though, both of those elemental lances are within reach. Just please, please dont lance charge with an elemental lance lol. Your effectiveness becomes less than halved, seriously.

Other thing. You feel like lances have low raw power? They pretty much all do lol. It's power comes from it's ability to attack pretty much all the time. If you arent all over a monster, you are doing less damage than an SnS or LS period. If you have a base attack of 400 ^, then you're good. With the exception of the Sabertooth.

Anyways, I'd recommend:
-Alatreon Gleam
-Sabertooth
-Gobuluku Muruuka
-Toxic Javelin
-Elder Babel Spear

*coughallinmyopinion*

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I use LS mostly (I aim well), and SA/GS on the side atm. Wyvern Blade "Fire" is owning :p

Got the Dark Steel to make Tenebra, though it seems useless until Awakening.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
What I found easy on Diablos is SA's Sword form. >.>

Having troubles with Uurugan (sp).. HR 26 now though :D

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Well... I play with my gf irl <.< and, it's one of the few games we can play together so xD

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Yeah I play with my best friend irl, only on weekends though (If we can) cuz we both work. So raising my HR is a slow process for me haha
I'm still at HR 36 D:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ya, we work like... 40 hour weeks. We just choose not to sleep, hehehe! :3

We should all 4 hunt together :D

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Yeah sure :)
We might actually be on later tonight and maybe tomorrow.
I'll be sure to post here just in case.

I should probably post my Hunter ID too but I'll do that later lol

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Maaan.

So like I played offline for the longest time, never going online once.

Then I finally went on today with like full Lagi armour gemmed up and ****, with a gemmed charm as well. Got 2 good switch axes (Volt Axe Y and Inceadeus), and so I bust on thinking well everyone else gonna be pimped out anyway, most likely more than me.

I was disappoint. >.>

Sucks too I can only play with EU dudes, and afaik there are no PAL MH3 players here.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Me and my gf got full lagi gemmed and weapons before ever going online, and the first 3 hours of online was so boring because of it.

HR27 now..we had a bad morning, we kept getting idiots ><. Someone used a Wyvern Blade "Fire" on a Rathalos... ._.

They also used Rathalos armor with it, which made no sense. Lagi >.>?

I can't wait to get into the game where we use diff armor sets, because as of now it's just Lagi for Elemental weapons, Rathos for non elementals, and rathaos+Diab. Vambraces for GS's

Gah777

Smash Lord
^ Me and my gf got full lagi gemmed and weapons before ever going online, and the first 3 hours of online was so boring because of it.

HR27 now..we had a bad morning, we kept getting idiots ><. Someone used a Wyvern Blade "Fire" on a Rathalos... ._.

I can't wait to get into the game where we use diff armor sets, because as of now it's just Lagi for Elemental weapons, Rathos for non elementals, and rathaos+Diab. Vambraces for GS's
Yeah, I remember I had some guy in my party using a Wyvern Blade on Agnaktor because "all that mattered was raw damage" -_-

Noobs, for some reason, really like pairing Rathalos armor with Long Swords. It's not exactly a bad combination except for when they don't get rid of the defense drop and all they do is spam the Spirit Combo until they get hit out of it -_- I'm surprised you didn't find anyone with Rathian armor and a Guan Dao with Demonic Blessing still gemmed in (another popular noob combo).

Yeah, just wait 'till you get to high rank :D

so, how many of you guys did the Red Hot Party event quest?
I haven't yet. I still have to re-hook up my Wii. How was it?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I remember I had some guy in my party using a Wyvern Blade on Agnaktor because "all that mattered was raw damage" -_-

Noobs, for some reason, really like pairing Rathalos armor with Long Swords. It's not exactly a bad combination except for when they don't get rid of the defense drop and all they do is spam the Spirit Combo until they get hit out of it -_- I'm surprised you didn't find anyone with Rathian armor and a Guan Dao with Demonic Blessing still gemmed in (another popular noob combo).

I use Rathalos armor atm for Anata Boneblade; Lagi for the elemental blades.

I also use Rathalos for my SA, though. I'm just very careful, and carry many potions ^^

Gah777

Smash Lord
worth it if you want los plates, rubies, and wyvern stones

got 6 plates, 5 rubies, and 3 wyvern stones

but its over for now
Aw, dang I missed out :/ I didn't need any materials since I have pretty much everything I want/need but I like doing quests for fun.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

LOL

Man the worst is getting interrupted by some douche with a Bone Axe when I'm using Volt Axe/Inceadeus >__>

Like wtf dude your melee attacks are insignificant gtfo and let me do the elemental release.

Lol.

Man electric and water have such good coverage so my two switcheaxes are all I need.

Got a Peco Flint for fire damage though, hammers are pri good.

So lol honestly I only use Lagi armour (yay for all elemental), I don't really like the other sets, mainly because the low rank armours all have like no gem slots. Speed sharpening and halve hunger man I can't live without them now >.>

Also LR Lagi > HR Lagi no lie, Razor Sharp >>>>>> Awakening.

Ceadeus armour looks so amazing, too bad it's like... not good. >.>

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I get an earth dragongem on my FIRST jhen moran. Yay. Thinking about mix/matching jhen/ratha/lagia sets for Gs/ls/SA.

Also Teran, just no. Tenebra D with awakening is epic. but really using full armor sets isn't a good idea. I'm actually making a pretty good rough draft of a good armor set for Long sword's using a combination of those three armors. I've just got to make sure to gem it carefully (or make duplicates of the armor for each respective set) so my sa/ls/gs sets don't have gemming issues. Like Ratha body is SA set has this gem, but ratha body on this set has this gem x.x

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I got a Deep Dragongem and Elderdragonblood on my first Ceadeus, the game does wtf things like that.

Especially since I'd smacked his damn beard up and got no fur. ;__;

Also ya srsly, pretty much every top weapon is elemental, so Awakening is obsolete and you get to keep Razor Sharp, which is without a doubt one of the best abilities in the game.

I mean honestly it's anyone's choice lol, but I won't be making HR Lagi armour. :x

Gah777

Smash Lord

Also LR Lagi > HR Lagi no lie, Razor Sharp >>>>>> Awakening.

Ceadeus armour looks so amazing, too bad it's like... not good. >.>
Agreed.

Actually the Ceadeus armor is probably the best in the game. Well, the set by itself isn't that great because it's hard to get rid of Demonic Blessing and Blunt Edge, but if you combine it with other armors it's AMAZING. HG Earplugs and Sharpness+1 are probably the two best skills in the game (along with Evasion+1/2). You can combine pieces of the High Rank armor and the Low Rank armor to get Sharpness+1 and HG Earplugs without having Demonic Blessing or Blunt Edge and having a few open slots (like 4-6 or something).

So I get an earth dragongem on my FIRST jhen moran. Yay. Thinking about mix/matching jhen/ratha/lagia sets for Gs/ls/SA.

Also Teran, just no. Tenebra D with awakening is epic. but really using full armor sets isn't a good idea. I'm actually making a pretty good rough draft of a good armor set for Long sword's using a combination of those three armors. I've just got to make sure to gem it carefully (or make duplicates of the armor for each respective set) so my sa/ls/gs sets don't have gemming issues. Like Ratha body is SA set has this gem, but ratha body on this set has this gem x.x
Yeah most of the best sets are custom sets. You should see some of the ones I have. I actually had the materials to make an Evasion+1, Sharpness+1, Guard+2 Lance set (best lance set in the game imo) but I didn't like how it looked, so I made a custom set with Guard+2 and Sharpness+1. It looks much better lol

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah HR Ceadeus armour has some nice possibilites, but LR has no slots so you can't gem out the two terrible abilities that come with the awesome ones D:

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
So I get an earth dragongem on my FIRST jhen moran.
lol Nice

I got one on my 2nd or 3rd Jhen run. I never used it yet though. Hopefully I still get a chance to make something with it :/

Gah777

Smash Lord
I love it when people try to carve the inside of it's mouth while I'm attacking or laying bombs. I like to upswing/superpound/lance rush them so they get trapped and eaten lol

Also, I remember a time during one repel Jhen quest, the quest finished while I was inside it's mouth. During the whole endscene where it reels backs and dives into the ground i was just like 0.o Once it finished I was wondering how I was still alive. Seriously 0.o

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
so, how many of you guys did the Red Hot Party event quest?
I did. It's gone now, but I got a ton of ancient shards from that quest. Only weapon of that kind I dont have is the Divine Exodus anyways, so i didnt really care too much for the rewards, but it was certainly fun.

but its over for now
Aw, dang I missed out :/
Don't worry too much about that. This new quest, Fiery Skies, Frozen Fields is alot more fun imo, and the drops are ridiculous. I was getting 1-3 wyvern stones, 1-3 rathalos rubies, and a heck ton of hvy and hrd armor spheres each run. (We were capturing both of them, so maybe that's the main reason). It just started yesterday, so you have plenty of time to catch it. It's HR51 and above though. Land Arena, Barioth and Rathalos.

Sucks too I can only play with EU dudes, and afaik there are no PAL MH3 players here.
MHWikiChatroom

^ Try there. I go there every now and then, normally on in the evenings EST. Plenty of EU players show up, along with US.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I use full lagi gemmed for AuM for Elemental longswords, and use full rathos gemmed for AuL/CE+2 for SA/Anata Boneblade (I'm going to use some Jaggi+ soon to negate the deff. down)

For GS though, I use Full Jhen with CD gemmed in. Focus+CD is nice :D

Gah777

Smash Lord
No, those sets sound pretty good.

Personally I prefer Attack Up L, Sharpness+1, Crit Draw for GS and put Focus on a Hammer set. Focus is good, I just like the other skills better. Vangis armor <3's GS & Hammer.

Top Bottom