• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yes. He's a gold crown, over 4000. Despite his size he isn't much harder to take down than regular Jho and hits just as hard. The only annoying thing is trying to keep up with him.

You get a lot of Timeworn charms and there's a high chance to get Jho gems. Some guy I was playing with got 4 in one run.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Giant Jho was a...disappointment. I managed to take down one within 20 minutes. Group members were ~ HR60, too.

Aaaah, man. What else do we have next to look forward to?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I love having to make specific breaks in-battle. It makes the team dynamic much more interesting, especially if all are different weapons

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I used Shadowbinder, and my gf uses the paralyze lance. We paralyze Agnak soooo much, and then try to get 2 others to help us. Got my weapon, Dancing Hellfire is sick.

Also, I have Lagi+ (working on it anyways) and going to use that set with Tenebra D (maybe one day alatreon lolz)

Wouldn't that same set make Sinister Saints epic? Awaken the uber high elemental damage, power phial, good damage, stable sharpness (Gem+1 later for white I think), and ...yeah.

the only downfall to that is unless fighting Barioth or something, running Alatreon SA with full Deviljho would **** that set.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Online for a bit, waiting for Codi to get on too. Anyone can come and join if you want.

We still haven't hunted together Ryu.

Edit: Done probably for the night, have a million pages to write by Friday.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
We shall, me, you, and my gf sometime

HR52 now..beat Ala and Jho, quite...not so bad, I must say. They are hard, but all the hype in my head had me imagining them to be much worse.

I will say this though, I can't seem to get Ala's horns broken to save my life...

Smashjin

Smash Ace
We shall, me, you, and my gf sometime

HR52 now..beat Ala and Jho, quite...not so bad, I must say. They are hard, but all the hype in my head had me imagining them to be much worse.

I will say this though, I can't seem to get Ala's horns broken to save my life...
Did you sleepbomb Ala? Usually his horns break after a couple times

Gah777

Smash Lord
I like to hammer his horns off. It's much more interesting imo, especially if you have paralysis support. 2 para LSers and 2 hammerers or 1 hammer and 1 GS is a pretty sweet team. LSers para and trip while Hammerers stun and break horns. I had a run one time where he got tripped>para'd>stunned>para'd>stunned>tripped (or something like that) in a row.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ We're guna try that, I don't care for the sleepbombing idea tbqh

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I like to hammer his horns off. It's much more interesting imo, especially if you have paralysis support. 2 para LSers and 2 hammerers or 1 hammer and 1 GS is a pretty sweet team. LSers para and trip while Hammerers stun and break horns. I had a run one time where he got tripped>para'd>stunned>para'd>stunned>tripped (or something like that) in a row.
I haven't gotten a chance to try it that way :(.

The sleepbombing method isn't the most fun, but it's pretty effective.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
well see, my friend wants to do hammer, and my gf wants too as well. I'm good with Shadowbinder, so get one more para lser and we're good :D.

Right now I'm just trying to farm Deviljho, and I must say GS works quite nice for him.

DZLE

Smash Master
Saw this thread because I have like a billion hours on tri, got like everything, and quit

took a break from MH (personally over the psp years and with tri i have like 4000 hours of mh)

but then Monster Hunter 3rd Portable came out in Japan, so I got it the next day lolol

Again, addicted to monster hunter. Have about 100 hours on it.

So nice to see tri the way its meant to be played, MH3T on Wii felt like "Diet Monster Hunter"
(people who hardcore played previous versions knows what I mean)

But MH3T was really good because online was surprisingly amazing and it was cool to play on a console for once for me.

tl;dr

anyone else playing MH3rd on psp? I translated the quests for people that need it.(although the translation is most definitely online somewhere)

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I'll be buying MH3 Potable once it comes out in NA lol
I can't wait for it. It looks way better than MHTri.

Just started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite atm :D

Gah777

Smash Lord
well see, my friend wants to do hammer, and my gf wants too as well. I'm good with Shadowbinder, so get one more para lser and we're good :D.

Right now I'm just trying to farm Deviljho, and I must say GS works quite nice for him.
I can Para LS fur ya if you'd like. Just give me a time and date and I'll see what's up. Also if your friend/gf get tired of hammering, I'd be happy to take over since I have some boss hammer sets :3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
That'd be nice, it might be a while though. Monday our rl friend starts Monster Hunter, and we must train him ;D So...yeah it could be a bit, but I'll definitely let you know.

We can trip each other and everything! J/k

Also, does Alatreon remind you of a dragon-Arceus?

Alatreon @ whatever item
Naive Nature/Pressure
252Att/252Spatt/6hp Evs
~Fire Blast
~Outrage
~Thunder Punch
~Ice Shard

Cookie to whoever finds this a joke, and this:

120HP/150Att/150Spatt/100Def/100Spdef/145Speed.

Lulz

Gah777

Smash Lord
haha good one. I've had this theory that Alatreon in a Pokemon ever since I first fought him. All his moves are Pokemon moves (I didn't think of ice shard or Outrage though, gg)

I was thinking more like:

Alatreon@Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Encourage (cancels out LO recoil, since technically he doesn't hurt himself when he attacks)
252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Rush
-Blizzard/Icy Wind/Ice Shard
-Thunderpunch

Dragon Rush is when he coats himself in Dragon element stuff and, well, rushes at you. Blizzard for when he flies up and rains giant ice chunks, and Icy Wind when he breaths snow while flying. I can see Ice shard being the move where he shoots one shard quickly when airborne, and I guess I kinda see Outrage since he tends to spam Dragon Rush 2-3 times.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
haha good one. I've had this theory that Alatreon in a Pokemon ever since I first fought him. All his moves are Pokemon moves (I didn't think of ice shard or Outrage though, gg)

I was thinking more like:

Alatreon@Life Orb
Ability: Encourage (cancels out LO recoil, since technically he doesn't hurt himself when he attacks)
252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Rush
-Blizzard/Icy Wind/Ice Shard
-Thunderpunch

Dragon Rush is when he coats himself in Dragon element stuff and, well, rushes at you. Blizzard for when he flies up and rains giant ice chunks, and Icy Wind when he breaths snow while flying. I can see Ice shard being the move where he shoots one shard quickly when airborne, and I guess I kinda see Outrage since he tends to spam Dragon Rush 2-3 times.
I agree, but Dragon Rush has such low accuracy. He also has Dragon Claw, just saying.

He also has Blizzard, but yeah all his moves made me think of Pokemon. Then again, I'm so hyped for B/W

Anyways how is Tri diet MH? i want to play the others, but god I hate psp. I had one for years and I just couldn't stand it. Wish they'd make ps3/wii/3DS mhs. =/

Edit: Gah777, I see you're into the competitive as well, well..

Deviljho @ Choice Band
Adamant/Huge Power (When Raged) / Intimidate (Not raged, think of the new Fire Monkey Pokemon)
252HP/252Att/6HP
Iron Tail
Take Down
Crunch
Dragon Breath(The only oddball in his moveset)

I could see him being Normal/Dragon, so he'd have some nice Stab. Unfortunately the Dragon Breath move would be quite weak, but ah well.

150HP/150Att(180 when Raged)/100Def(80 when Raged)/100Sdef(80 when raged)/95speed(115Speed when Raged)

I think he gets a speed boost when raged. I swear he feels faster when he is mad.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ What's that?

Jaggi>lv16>Jagia>lv36 Great Jaggi! lol

Giggi>lv42>Gigginox

XDD

Gah777

Smash Lord
haha good stuff.

I think Jho gets a power boost when raged, but not a speed boost. He seems faster and more annoying when he's not raged and low on stamina (all he does is spam his quick little bites that give you the status that cuts your defense DX). So I'm thinking of something more like:

Deviljho@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Daruma mode (when @ 25% or less HP your form changes. Not sure exactly sure about this one, but it seems like it could work)/Huge Power/ Gluttony (a great ability for him imo xD).
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
-Iron Tail
-Stomp/Take Down
-Rockslide/Crunch/Bite
-Dragon Breath

Imo he should have a massive HP stat any mediocre defences and speed. Kinda something like

180Hp/ 150Atk/ 75 Def/ 95 SpA/ 75 Def/ 90 Spe

And yeah i'm into competitive Pokemon and can't wait for B/W. Do you play PO?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
haha good stuff.

I think Jho gets a power boost when raged, but not a speed boost. He seems faster and more annoying when he's not raged and low on stamina (all he does is spam his quick little bites that give you the status that cuts your defense DX). So I'm thinking of something more like:

Deviljho@Choice Band
Ability: Daruma mode (when @ 25% or less HP your form changes. Not sure exactly sure about this one, but it seems like it could work)/Huge Power/ Gluttony (a great ability for him imo xD).
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
-Iron Tail
-Stomp/Take Down
-Rockslide/Crunch/Bite
-Dragon Breath

Imo he should have a massive HP stat any mediocre defences and speed. Kinda something like

180Hp/ 150Atk/ 75 Def/ 95 SpA/ 75 Def/ 90 Spe

And yeah i'm into competitive Pokemon and can't wait for B/W. Do you play PO?
I actually..play DS.

I didn't get into Gen IV as much as I should've, but I'm pumped for Gen V. I breed my own teams and everything.

I have a 31/31/29/28/30/30 Adamant Technician Scyther, and...well that's just an example. I have 30+ Bred Pokemon like that ;D

I got into breeding (as you can see) and I plan to pursue it + Competitive stuff on the DS ;D

Also, I agree with Jho's formats, mainly because all the standing still he does leaves him so open.

Rathalos @ Choice Scarf
Naive/Intimidate
~ Fire Blast
~ Crunch
~ Take Down
~Poison Sting (lol)

252Spatt/252Att/6Hp with ...

100HP/120Att/80Def/120Spatt/80Sdef/120Speed

Gah777

Smash Lord
Wow, you breed and EV train all your Pokemon? Yeesh... I tried that once. It was way too time consuming for my liking. Instead I play simulators (aka Pokemon Online) until I have a team I feel good about and then go Pokesav them. I only use legal hacks by the way, and I don't use any non-legal hacks for competitive play. For example:

Absol@Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs 255 Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe
-Swords Dance
-Protect
-Close Combat
-Crunch

...is something I wouldn't do (although it would be amazing :awesome: and I try to make it very clear the Pokemon Im using has been hacked (legally).

Hrm, how about:

Lagiacrus (Water/Electric) @Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 188 HP/ 252 SpA/ 68 Spe
- Charge
- Discharge
- Aqua Tail
- Volt Tackle/ Wild Bolt

95HP/ 110 Atk/ 95 Def/ 115 SpA/ 105 SpD/ 90 Spe

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wow, you breed and EV train all your Pokemon? Yeesh... I tried that once. It was way too time consuming for my liking. Instead I play simulators (aka Pokemon Online) until I have a team I feel good about and then go Pokesav them. I only use legal hacks by the way, and I don't use any non-legal hacks for competitive play. For example:

Absol@Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs 255 Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe
-Swords Dance
-Protect
-Close Combat
-Crunch

...is something I wouldn't do (although it would be amazing :awesome: and I try to make it very clear the Pokemon Im using has been hacked (legally).

Hrm, how about:

Lagiacrus (Water/Electric) @Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 188 HP/ 252 SpA/ 68 Spe
- Charge
- Discharge
- Aqua Tail
- Volt Tackle/ Wild Bolt

95HP/ 110 Atk/ 95 Def/ 115 SpA/ 105 SpD/ 90 Spe

I get what you're saying, but I like breeding, like more than Competitive battling to an extent.

I'm so proud of my 31/31/30/29/30/31 SwiftSwim Naughty Kingdra, my Scizor (mentioned), my 18/31/18/31/10/31 Timid Mewtwo, etc etc. It takes time, but I like making teams that involve a while > battling. Then again, it's more or less for bragging rights.

I do like using Shoddys and etc to test out my teams, though.

(lol @ this)

Jhen Mohran(sp) @ Leftovers
Adamant / Turant
252Hp/52Att/200Spdef
~Roar
~Rock Tomb
~Head Smash
~Horn Drill

180HP/110Att/150Def/50Satt/95Sdef/50Speed(I know he swims fast in sand, but god...)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Give Jhen Body Slam over Horn Drill and you're all set.

I've been using the Bowgun online lately, and boy, is it a blast. I love being a support class.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I just got full Vangis for everything.

Elemental Longswords(It>Lagia with AuM(no good talisman yet)), Great Sword (AuM/Crit Draw/Sharp+1..), and Switch Axe..obviously.

The ONLY thing I'd use aside from Vangis is:

Alatreon/Lagi+ for Sinister Saint/Tenebra D.

So I guess I'ma farm that armor for those weapons, but stick with good ole Vangis for everything until I get some bad*** talisman that lets me make a great mixset.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Exactly. I lack any of those, BUT

My GF got uber lucky and got a three slot talisman. Still, Vangis is pretty pro even for her. She uses Agnak+ for Lance, though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
BUMP. Farming Alatreon, 0/15 horns using the ole SB method. Sucks because I need 6 Skypiercers...

1 For Escadora (I wann sexy Tenebra/SS armor)
2 for LS
3 for SA.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Ya know, I was actually playing this the other day. I realized just how OP my stuff is offline xD

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yar. I've gotten pretty buff, though I find mixmatched sets to be rather meh.

A good GS mixset has Earplugs, C. Draw, and Focus, and Sharp+1. Now my Vangis has AuM, Sharp+1, and CD. I kinda value the attack boost over those too.

As for Longswords that are not Tenebra, wearing full Vangis with AuL on it seems better than gaining an Element/Status attack up with another set/mix set

As for Switch Axe...yeah Vangis is the best with that.

The ONLY time I don't use full Vangis:

- Cap Set Armor
- "Great Luck" Armor
- Tenebra/Sinister Saints:

Tenebra uses Lagi/Vangis for Sharp+1/Elementup/Awaken, and SS uses Escadora for Awaken/Evade Boost/Evade+2(I like the evasion on SA, dodging seems harder)

So maybe I'm missing something, but mixsets seem lame >.>. I use to like Focus on GS, 'till I learned to be preceptive.

Also 3/33 Skypiercer ;)

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
hey does anyone have the link to the chat they're using? i'm finally able to connect to people again and now it's time i finish this game. :D

Gah777

Smash Lord
You can go to fsmash.org, sign up, then find the Monster Hunter Tri general chat there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
HR90 now ;) Farming Blos with my awaken TenebraD set. God I feel so powerful!

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
bean a while since ive been on these forums didn't know there were mh3 players here.
my chars name is Zefiro and id is AD9DEH. current hr is about 105 or so.

for weapons i use hammers, sns, and sa and am currently working on making lances as ive already made all the hammers, sns, and axes i could want.

for armor i always use helios mixed with vengis boots and gem in skills i feel like using(evade +1/+2, focus, tremor resistance, etc depending what i will be hunting.)

i'll help anyone that needs it and im up for hunting any monster even great jaggi as i still need agold crown from him.

Top Bottom