• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

VValter

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know where I need to go to register for Guild Quests?
Pause, go to the second page, go to guild quests, register them. Then you go to the guild to actually start them (at the gathering hall with the yellow low rank questatrix supposedly)

Last edited:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
So I think I've played this game for enough time where I can definitely say that this is the best MH game ever made by far. Despite Dah'ren Mohran being incredibly similar to Jhen, the vertical movement changes make the fight feel completely new.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
My internet was a bit slow so my game took a while to download but now I am charging in ahead full steam!

Will finish a bit of the storyline before I start online quests though. Still a really good game, gotta play more to give judgment. I do miss some (very little) parts of MH3U but hey, the ball has just started rolling.

So I think I've played this game for enough time where I can definitely say that this is the best MH game ever made by far. Despite Dah'ren Mohran being incredibly similar to Jhen, the vertical movement changes make the fight feel completely new.
Wifi-enabled caves are awesome!

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm doing the single player first before I ever go to the online. I might go online once I'm halfway through the story, or at least get to high-rank and get some armor.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I'm doing the single player first before I ever go to the online. I might go online once I'm halfway through the story, or at least get to high-rank and get some armor.
Same here. I am trying to reach a decent point in single player so that I unlock good foods in the canteen, good production at the merchant and the storyline as well.

Will try online when I am almost done.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I have been playing a mix between single player and online, helping friends out. Getting the upgrades for the Charge Blade does take a good while, since the materials needed to get to a certain tier of Charge Blades are non-existent for a good while in the single player.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Is it just me or is the lack of keyboard chat during quests annoying?

I finally started online and I really liked how it is implemented. Getting in and out is much faster plus you can go anywhere while online.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I don't mind the lack of keyboard. You can also set your preset messages to whatever you want. In my opinion, this is better, since you won't have a player just standing there, just typing crap out, doing nothing, in the middle of a hunt.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I don't mind the lack of keyboard. You can also set your preset messages to whatever you want. In my opinion, this is better, since you won't have a player just standing there, just typing crap out, doing nothing, in the middle of a hunt.
I understand the reasoning behind the keyboard exclusion BUT preset messages don't cover all cases.

It is annoying when I want to tell something but lack of preset message for that situation hinders me. Plus we would message during area changes not when standing beside the monster.

Unless that is Dahren when he is making a leap.

finalark

SNORLAX
I tried to get a copy of MH4 yesterday but it's sold out all over Tucson.

I guess that means I'll be looking online for a while or crossing my fingers that some new player gets fed up with the difficultly curve and trades their copy in.

USB3.0

Smash Rookie
I used to do Switch Axe/Lance/Gunlance in 3U, but since I picked up Charge Blade I'm 105 hunts in and not really equipped for the others. I do wanna pick Dual Blades back up after fiddling with them in the demo and try Hunting Horn for buffs, but man, Charge Blade is just so so so fun.

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Completely agree, also the fact that you could seamlessly change the y-axis of the camera now makes climbing up a wall while looking at a monster flying away or around you looks so much cooler. Also, I'd say this is by far the best looking 3DS game to date!

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
I really want to get mh4u. I hear there are guild missions. Must I confine my self to an online club of strangers?

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Okay so this is my first MH, and I'm really enjoying it so far! I think that it's one of the few games that are really addictive, I can't help but play everyday as soon as I finish work :)
I mainly play with the Charge Blade, Hunting Horn and Long Sword, and started yestreday the 6-stars / 7-stars quests. So hyped for the monsters that I have to beat, and crafting new stuff.

I have one question though: I have seen somewhere that the best thing to do is low rank solo > low rank online > high rank solo > high rank online. What do you guys think about it?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Okay so this is my first MH, and I'm really enjoying it so far! I think that it's one of the few games that are really addictive, I can't help but play everyday as soon as I finish work :)
I mainly play with the Charge Blade, Hunting Horn and Long Sword, and started yestreday the 6-stars / 7-stars quests. So hyped for the monsters that I have to beat, and crafting new stuff.

I have one question though: I have seen somewhere that the best thing to do is low rank solo > low rank online > high rank solo > high rank online. What do you guys think about it?
This makes some sense considering that hunting monsters in single player is easier. However, in the end, the best way to play is all up to you. I usually just swap back and forth between single player and multiplayer, usually leaving single player in the dust.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
MH4U is good fun. I've been playing with relatives since we scouted out for copies on release day. I usually spend more time with online quests first, and do a bit of single player progression along the way. That way, story mode is a cakewalk since my equips are stronger~

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I usually beat the storyline completely before online. I did go online in the middle though but now since I have picked up steam I think I am going to beat Caravan High quests before going back to online. The quests will be a breeze anyway with my current armour and weapon setup.

As long as people don't keep knocking me off. Insect Glaive is a really good weapon and so far has replaced my favourite Long Sword. Once I get enough money, will try making the best(s) of each weapon type so that I can switch and play with all weapons!

Yay, variety!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I was looking for an MH thread! Well MH4U is my first monster hunter game. I'm playing the story since I really did not know there where online specific quests. Also, every monster that I hunt has me using all 10 Mega Potions I bring to the battle :( Well now I have less than 10 that I bring since I ran out of materials.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm not too sure where I am in terms of story progression, I think the last monster I fought was Frenzy Congalala.

But as of now, I'm trying to forge Zinogre DB. I've been using LS this entire time so I figured I might as well try to expand on my other weapon inventory. Haven't had a chance (or actually bothered to try) to try out CB or IG yet :'(

Also, I think I read that LS got nerfed?

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
You still are probably more ahead in the story than I am. I'm in the second town at the moment. I just did the Urgent Quest that came up. Sorry if my posts seem a bit generic, but most of the things I read in the game as well as monster names are very obscure for me. First MH game and whatnot. All I know is that I don't like fighting the birdlike monster that poisons. The Rock Dragon though was very fun even though he almost made me faint with his poison and fire use.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
You still are probably more ahead in the story than I am. I'm in the second town at the moment. I just did the Urgent Quest that came up. Sorry if my posts seem a bit generic, but most of the things I read in the game as well as monster names are very obscure for me. First MH game and whatnot. All I know is that I don't like fighting the birdlike monster that poisons. The Rock Dragon though was very fun even though he almost made me faint with his poison and fire use.
If you are having trouble, feel free to add me. I would add my FC, but I am away from home, and I am pretty sure it is in my profile. You can also add me on Skype if you need help.

I'm not too sure where I am in terms of story progression, I think the last monster I fought was Frenzy Congalala.

But as of now, I'm trying to forge Zinogre DB. I've been using LS this entire time so I figured I might as well try to expand on my other weapon inventory. Haven't had a chance (or actually bothered to try) to try out CB or IG yet :'(

Also, I think I read that LS got nerfed?
LS did get a nerf. I think LS charge 3 lasts for less time, and it resets back to LS 1 when you complete the combo now. I haven't really touched much on the LS this game, this is going off of my memory. But I do know it is related to the soul charge.

I usually beat the storyline completely before online. I did go online in the middle though but now since I have picked up steam I think I am going to beat Caravan High quests before going back to online. The quests will be a breeze anyway with my current armour and weapon setup.

As long as people don't keep knocking me off. Insect Glaive is a really good weapon and so far has replaced my favourite Long Sword. Once I get enough money, will try making the best(s) of each weapon type so that I can switch and play with all weapons!

Yay, variety!
As for getting people to stop knocking you off the monster, I see my auto chat to tell people to not attack.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
As for getting people to stop knocking you off the monster, I see my auto chat to tell people to not attack.
I did.

Not many bother reading (or atleast most of the people I played with). Atleast monsters like the Tigrex flail so much that no one tries attacking.

On a second note:
I am near the end of the storyline and I can say that even though story is not the forte of MH games, this game's caravan missions are not not bad. Although the story did make me forcefully abandon a quest >.< And just when it almost done...

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Names will become more apparent as you continue to do more quests that feature them, no worries!

Generally, I think anything capable of poisoning is annoying. xD

Rock Dragon, the Gravios right (or Basarios)? It's pretty fun to fight but I'm not a fan of its subspecies (Black Gravios) which is like laser hell IMO. Good thing, they're pretty slow~

LS did get a nerf. I think LS charge 3 lasts for less time, and it resets back to LS 1 when you complete the combo now. I haven't really touched much on the LS this game, this is going off of my memory. But I do know it is related to the soul charge.
Ah I see, that's unfortunate. :(
I'll double check on that just to make sure, I don't really pay attention I just try to attack :D

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, in 3U, LS was powerful. You could keep your charge at 3 for a whole hunt, so long as you can keep landing the combo.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Heck yea, long sword was awesome. It probably still is but I guess it's damage output has been reduced.

I haven't tried it in 4U yet so can't give judgement but from what I remember in the demo, after it reaches the red/purple charge, it stays there and drops down. Not as fast as before as it directly drops to 0 spirit. Completing the spirit combo does not affect charge 3 and only starts recharging once you are down to 0.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It seems like a reasonable nerf I guess ha. It hasn't stopped me from using it after all! I need to check out the older games' LS, not sure if the X+A (slash back) into R (combo) is a new thing or not. :p

Anyone wouldn't mind exchanging FCs for hunts?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
If you are having trouble, feel free to add me. I would add my FC, but I am away from home, and I am pretty sure it is in my profile. You can also add me on Skype if you need help.
Thanks. I'll let you know.
Names will become more apparent as you continue to do more quests that feature them, no worries!

Generally, I think anything capable of poisoning is annoying. xD

Rock Dragon, the Gravios right (or Basarios)? It's pretty fun to fight but I'm not a fan of its subspecies (Black Gravios) which is like laser hell IMO. Good thing, they're pretty slow~
One of those names. I'm not certain. But yes, poison is incredibly annoying. Your health goes down incredibly fast. I'm sure that as soon as I do more quests I'll know the names. The only one I know for certain is the Tetsucabra since it made me faint so many times before being able to defeat it.

Also, I'm still unsure on what weapon to use. I'll probably do some investigating on the sword types today.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I love this game so. I've finished the low-rank caravan quests, which were epic, and I'm really taking my time now, going on expeditions and guild quests. Every Friday night I hang out with my friends and we do the online stuff together. We're only 3* though, so it's slow going there.

I've been staying with Insect Glaives and Bows for the most part, with a spattering of Switch Axes and Dual Swords. I've honestly found the IG to be my best weapon for soloing.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Thanks. I'll let you know.

One of those names. I'm not certain. But yes, poison is incredibly annoying. Your health goes down incredibly fast. I'm sure that as soon as I do more quests I'll know the names. The only one I know for certain is the Tetsucabra since it made me faint so many times before being able to defeat it.

Also, I'm still unsure on what weapon to use. I'll probably do some investigating on the sword types today.
You are thinking of the Gypceros monster. The one who can flash you, right?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yes exactly.
Yeah, that one can be a pain. If you have to, bring extra antidotes with you. Pretty sure you can buy them from the shop.

Learn how he moves. You have plenty of time to kill the monster, so if you need to step back and see how the monster moves, do it. Be patient. Also, if you get flashed, you will get stunned, you can button mash your way out of it. Or if you are lucky, your palicoe can attack you t knock you out of it. If you are online, your fellow hunters can hit you.

Also, what armor are you using? Better armor may help you.

One more thing, and this one is for everyone. Check out this person's videos. He gives a bunch of tips and tutorial guides to the weapons, which helped me out a lot for some of the changes they did to all the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Yup I also love this game, save the couple of hours I have to get honey, herbs, and berries.
Some common sense I do:

Bring all the honey every quest that's major (monster-focused). Everything you heal with should be Mega Potion tier. Don't drink potions or first aid meds, always upgrade/combine them with honey to maximize healing. Maybe bring blue mushrooms and herbs to make even more potions. Maybe bring stuff like Max or Ancient Potions.

Have RNGesus start favoring you when you sacrifice 8000z to purchase Combo Books 1-3, it's worth it.

Mounting. Learn it now.

Grind enough before continuing quests.

Tranquilizing yields more than killing.

That's all I guess. I'm HR2 and am starting 3 star quests. I do dual blades (cleaver jaws) and heavy bowgun for support.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Yeah, that one can be a pain. If you have to, bring extra antidotes with you. Pretty sure you can buy them from the shop.

Learn how he moves. You have plenty of time to kill the monster, so if you need to step back and see how the monster moves, do it. Be patient. Also, if you get flashed, you will get stunned, you can button mash your way out of it. Or if you are lucky, your palicoe can attack you t knock you out of it. If you are online, your fellow hunters can hit you.

Also, what armor are you using? Better armor may help you.

One more thing, and this one is for everyone. Check out this person's videos. He gives a bunch of tips and tutorial guides to the weapons, which helped me out a lot for some of the changes they did to all the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later. As for the armor I'm using, most of it is Tetsucabra with the first relic gloves and the waist is Skelta or something like that.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I usually wear a full set of armor to get the full benefits of it. I don't really like to mix and match armor like that. But the Tetsucabra armor should be fine for Gypceros.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I usually wear a full set of armor to get the full benefits of it. I don't really like to mix and match armor like that. But the Tetsucabra armor should be fine for Gypceros.
From my limited reading from the in-game text, it seems that the Tetsucabra armor does not have any skills gained from the set I believe. Unless there are other variables I'm missing that the game does not specify.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
From my limited reading from the in-game text, it seems that the Tetsucabra armor does not have any skills gained from the set I believe. Unless there are other variables I'm missing that the game does not specify.
My gunner has full tetsucabra sans the faulds and has +20 health. But my blades master has tetsu head and pants, Kecha chest and vambraces along with seltas faulds. No health benefits.

But it doesn't matter I'm trying to get Zamtrios stuff now.

Top Bottom