• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here's the current draft. Any suggestions/corrections/feedback?

Good day!

I've been referenced to you by *name of my friend*, who has in the past run 'Confrontation' events at Gamers' World. He mentions a certain *name of employee there* recommended that I bring the matter to you personally. Hopefully I was correctly directed! Now, on to the matter at hand.

The Montreal region Super Smash Bros. Melee community, all gathered on the biggest unofficial SSB;M forum in the world (http://smashboards.com/), has recently been looking for a venue to host bi-weekly gatherings for semi-pro and pro players, be it for friendly matches, or small scale tournaments. The Gamers' World store is by far the most promising locale we've discovered. With a variety of different gaming needs being attended (from card games to board games to PC and console gaming), a very professional attitude and world scale tournament qualifications, it's a clear winner.

Now, I'll begin with the main question, and then develop from there assuming (and hoping!) that the answer would be positive, this way we can continue discussions about this project faster in future e-mails :)

Is it a possibility for Gamers' World to accomodate us with a regular, bi-weekly console gaming space to host Super Smash Bros. Melee friendly games and tournaments?

If so, here are the main concerns we currently have:

- How many TVs would be available for use?
- What is the current available equipment related to the event? (Gamecubes, controllers, games, memory cards, rf adapters, RCA cables, etc...)
- What is the maximum amount of players you could accomodate?
- Would it be possible to host these events on the same day every 2 weeks?
- If so, what are the availabilities of Gamers' World regarding
hours of the day and days of the week?
- Would the fee be 3$/hour or would there be a special tarification for these bi-weekly events?
- Is there nearby restauration, or do you sell/provide meals?
- Although certainly not something we are demanding, are there prizes available for the winners of tournaments? I've heard of store credit being given, is this the custom and how is it distributed? ;)

In return, the community would be more than ready to help provide TVs, Gamecubes (w/ necessary cables) and especially controllers; since it's the custom to bring our own controllers, there would be little need for Gamers' World to provide them for us.

*insert links to previous successful Montreal tournaments and MLG rulesets here*

To conclude, here's hoping we can come to an agreement and give the Montreal Smash community a chance to prove that they are still very active and reliable! If you would prefer to meet me in person, I can easily free myself up and arrange a meeting with you regarding the matter.

Thank you for your time,
Agora

Let him know we have a big and extremely reliable community. Give him some links to past successful tournaments (if you need some ask one of the "veterans" here, by veterans I mean people who have gone to them often). Give him a link to a Canadian ruleset (normally MLG ruleset with slight modifications, you can copy/paste it from SFF or something so they have an english AND french translation).
This might be a nice addition, indeed.
Anyone can help me out with some linkage?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
No Mercy vs. the World + Results

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=61078

Smash 'Till You Drop (STYD)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=78902

STYD Results

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81657

Smash For Fun (SFF)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79649

SFF Results

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=83012

These are all the tournaments that I have been to in Montreal. There are others, but not Montreal related. Chet/PKM/Test might be able to dig up some other stuff from this spam crap filled fest of a thread and other places, since they pioneered the community with Kirt. However, I think these should be enough.

Take the ruleset from SFF, as I think it's the best one.

EDIT: By the way, fantastic message Agora! That would surely impress the store management! I suggest changing the SSB;M to SSBM; I understand why you put the semicolon but it looks ugly and for reference issues SSBM is much more widely used, plus it looks better. Also, when you say we'll provide gamecubes, tell them they come with the smash games, just so they don't misinterpret that. Believe me, it happened at my tourney, so it'll happen to us.

Nice work =)

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
I've been to the Gamer's World many times. If they didn't change since last time, the computer tables are now placed vertically, wich gives more room for the console game area. Even though it got a little bigger, I don't think it can accomodate more than 16 people.

Also, there are many restaurant right in front of the store (10 second walk to subway, I always eat a subway when I go to the Gamer's World). The owner knows me, so I can probably throw in a word as well.

* The couches + chairs there a really comfy : ) *

Damax

Smash Lord
I've been to the Gamer's World many times. If they didn't change since last time, the computer tables are now placed vertically, wich gives more room for the console game area. Even though it got a little bigger, I don't think it can accomodate more than 16 people.

Also, there are many restaurant right in front of the store (10 second walk to subway, I always eat a subway when I go to the Gamer's World). The owner knows me, so I can probably throw in a word as well.

* The couches + chairs there a really comfy : ) *
Finally going somewhere! Lets do it quick and pain!... huh just quick forget the pain

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, I'll check out the links and add them to the mail!

And Jarc, I think it's time for sexual favors. You're our inside man ;D
Thanks for the handy details :3

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
Additionnal info : It is located about mid-point between the highway 20 and 40, so you need to drive in thee streets of Monteal for a while. If I remember correctly, you go down Decarie then onto Queen Mary. So Damax : If your not comfortable driving in the busy streets of Montreal it's best if you could get to a metro instead. Also parking is available, but not too great in that area.

Damax

Smash Lord
Additionnal info : It is located about mid-point between the highway 20 and 40, so you need to drive in thee streets of Monteal for a while. If I remember correctly, you go down Decarie then onto Queen Mary. So Damax : If your not comfortable driving in the busy streets of Montreal it's best if you could get to a metro instead. Also parking is available, but not too great in that area.
The highway 15 (decarie) is near, Decarie isn't that bad while going in montreal and looking at the gamestore's schedule I'll never catch soo much traffic... beside parking might be harder. so leaving around 5:30 pm might be needed as I'll be going counter traffic mostly, and also parking lots might become avaible since alot of workers end and small shop close 'round that time.

cF=)

Smash Lord
After looking at the metro stations, I remembered Snowdown was 2 station away from Vendome. Which means, anybody taking the train from West Island can reach the GamerStore in less than 40 minutes !

Wow, Increeeeedible !

So yeah, if this ever happen, I suggest doing it during the week... but not the wednesday... worst day ever :D

Agora

Smash Journeyman
I'll have to agree with no Wednesdays too, since I got my Japanese classes then :p
I personally think Thursday would be the optimal day, but then... we'll see what the guy has to offer!

Nephiros

Smash Ace
I don't think I'll be able to go to any of 'em if it's

A. $$$

B. During the week

So I guess you can count me out.

Damax

Smash Lord
we'll never be able to please everyone just as we'll never be able to get 16. Think about it before renting the room so it doesn't cost alot of $$$ also who's gonna pay for it at first? or do we pay once we're done??

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Where is your japenese class?
It's straight from work; the teachers travel to teach us after work.
It's just a beginner level class that'll last for a few months, nothing too serious.
Besides it's my second class!

cF=)

Smash Lord
Oh **** I started a debate with the wrong day. I meant to say no Tuesday.

Jason, est-ce que tu travail toujours de nuit ?

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Gneh!
J'y vais DEMAIN! dammit, l'évènement ferme tellement tôt que je dois prendre 4 heures de vacances au boulot pour m'y rendre >_<

In other news: THE MAIL IS OUT.

PHASE TWO NOW COMMENCES: Waiting. :S

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
So how is it Raiph?
feels exactly like ud expect from watching the vids...
doesnt feel that innovating since it's exactly like any gun arcade game (with active refresh)

mais apart de ca, twilight is fuсking awesome.

je retire toutes mes rétissences towards nintendo.
when this thing comes out, nintendo's so gonna **** both ms and sony big time lol.
- cheaper
- broad public, interesting for non gamers, perfect for hardcore gamers too
- both controllers have sensors and are uber easy to control
- more innovative than the other 2, pis infinite possibilites. entendre du son from the wimote is just sexy. plus its got rumble pak too.

DruegaR

Smash Rookie
Dayum, I want the wii so bad now.

Ralph, sorry fot not being Online the past day ive been busy with gf and ****. maybe we can smash at my place this weekend.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
ATTN: Vwins, Damax, Bam, Jih, and everyone who feels concerned

My pm to jv3x3:
(Title) Canada wants to get serious

Alright Joe, here's the jist of it.

EC Canada (well the guys from Quebec) were thinking about doing something really big, at least one time on Canadian territory. So I've been put in charge of contacting people to ask them some questions.

First of all, we are already looking for a spot for a major tournament, and by major we mean: motel housing, 2-3 day event, party in town, etc. It would be either in Montreal, Toronto, or the suburbs of both of those towns.

We already have something good in the suburbs of Montreal, a motel with pool, bar, everything, 30 TVs that the owner is willing to offer us for the tournament. We could set up a fixed price to accommodate players for housing and playing, we are working on food as well.

Now here's when you come into play. First of all, we are waiting for the MLG schedule to come out. I heard it was coming out in January but correct me if I'm wrong. After getting that out of the way, we would choose a week-end during either March or May to do the event (perhaps later if the feedback is good enough). We would then post it on smashboards, with complete info, .pdf files, try to find sponsors, legal ruling and everything needed to host a tournament along the lines of FC, OC, GS. Do you think that you could help us create enough hype to convince your fellow Americans to come North of the border?

Secondly, I was talking with Fleur de Lis and he gave me a suggestion. He basically shared with me his idea of having an MLG in Canada. Couldn't MLG come and find a place in Montreal or Toronto to hold their event? I could think of at least 5 major places where they could hold it in Montreal. Just this week, there are 2 major video game conventions happening in town that are going to attract thousands of people. Montreal is rapidly becoming the capital of video gaming in the East Coast, so we think it's time for MLG to step on Canadian grounds.

So this is what I'm asking you today. We decided to take this into our own hands, since the Toronto people don't seem as motivated to do this as us. If you have any questions, you can reply to this pm or message me at chesterr01 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks in advance Joe
Hoping for the best
Reggie Gaston
Small conversation between me and Damax, DnD corp®

.chet ¦ but nobody's listening dit :
I sent a message to jv3x3
I'm talking to Fleur
₪Max Power₪ dit :
so your still thinking about MLG?
MLG/major tournament
fleur m'a dit quelque chose
y'a dit que c'est difficile pour les americains de faire un voyage international pendant l'année scolaire, c'est plus facile de voyager dans le pays même
y'a dit que leur spring break a eux est pas à la même période dans toutes les zones des états-unis
₪Max Power₪ dit :
je savais sa
y'a dit que on pourrait aussi essayer pour pâques, mais que y'a des smashers qui pourraient passer pâques avec leur famille
de ce que j'en tire, le bet le plus sûr (mais pas le plus facile), c'est de faire un gros tournoi d'été, gros comme FC6/OC2 =/
200 personnes là
₪Max Power₪ dit :
on aurait besoin de back up pour transports, Organisation pool and ****, crée un site web pour que le monde puisse pré register pis payer ac paypal,
₪Max Power₪ dit :
des cubes a fond, du support de DA ou fleur's crew (en relation étrangère), La salle ac les télés, deux jour
₪Max Power₪ dit :
pis une gang d'organisateur qui sois pret a crisser le cash a mettre + des prix fixes....
₪Max Power₪ dit :
pis faut des bon charlatant pour faire a croire que sa va etre LE TOURNOI LE PLUS LEET AU MONDE!
₪Max Power₪ dit :
pis que tlm du montreal crew nous appuis (genre s'active dans le tournament thread sans trop de spamming excessif) genre spam mais respectable a la american
₪Max Power₪ dit :
+ parler toujours en englais sur montreal thread
+ tournament thread
si y'a du spam, jpeux m'arranger pour faire deleter les posts nuisibles
₪Max Power₪ dit :
parce que c clair qui va avoir du monde qui vont s'interroger sur notre style de communauter smash
ça va être dur si on se lance la-dedans
₪Max Power₪ dit :
ah pis des regles populaires!
faudrait commencer genre... décembre
₪Max Power₪ dit :
yup yup
₪Max Power₪ dit :
moi jsu pret a me lancer

Vwins

Smash Ace
bah on est pas toujours oubligé de parler anglais sur le montreal thread, le francais fait parti de notre communauté. Pour le reste, j'approuve et je vais donner mon appuie complet quand on va se lancer la dedans. Mais en premier lieu, il faudrait aller parler au propriétaire du ramada parce que on est pas encore sur à 100% de ce qu'on avance. Après lui avoir demandé pour la location d'une salle, les 30 TV et le prix réduit des chambres, on pourrait prendre un deuxième rendez-vous,vers janvier, pour fixer une date qui arrange les 2 camps. Pour organiser se genre d'évènement, il faut se prendre d'avance et surtout ne pas précipiter les choses. Je désigne Reggie pour notre relationniste aux affaires étrangères :)

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Website designing, eh? I would be glad to help out, although I dislike HTML. Hell, let's get a bunch of us. Where would we get the space though? I would personally elect my web space from my school server, but that's simply too much traffic and I don't want to get in trouble for it.

I would elect Lanowen as head of web site construction, but seriously, with such a large scale tournament, you can expect quite the traffic online. We'd have to chip in to get a server willing to handle such. (Unless it was sponsored and/or provided for us). We should speak to nealdt about that program of his as well...actually, wait a sec. This is MLG. Won't they handle registrations/brackets/website stuff etc.? We don't need that if that's the case...

LOL at party in town, St. Catherine's will be filled with American smashers XD. Let's go drinking with HugS!

Also...I think maybe we should speak with Le Gouvernement Quebec about this...get legal advice. We don't want to have the law screw this over. Stuff like French translations on everything, seeing if we can obtain a permit for holding this, advertisement, etc. etc. Might be just me being paranoid, but I would personally take it seriously.

Wow, MLG Montreal...that would be amazing. I hope it's feasible!

Top Bottom