• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

WarranThad

Smash Ace
I've been playing RPG's since the SNES era. Chrono Trigger remains my favorite of any RPG and still to this date my favorite game of all time. It's just awesome.

people like this make me sad for video games.

terrible dialogue, bland one-dimensional characters, simplistic mind-numbingly easy gameplay in a cool setting and with some hair gel and you get everyone's favorite jrpg.

so ridiculous, i hate this **** jesus christ.

Anyone going to toronto for that april 26th tourney? im considering it.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Wow Warran, you must have played a different game than the rest of the world, because what you're describing is FFVII, not CT.

Either that or you were too young to have played CT when it came out on the SNES and probably just got the rom.

But whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But considering how much praise CT gets from everyone in the gaming industry, I would say that the entire gaming industry makes you sad. So you should find a different genre of games to follow.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
About the update:
a couple pages late.
Like you would care, right? ;)
Aww, now I have to decide whether I prefer B-sticking my PK Fires or be able to "super wavedash" my up smashes.

LAWL just kidding, I'm sticking with the PK Fire spamming.
*bangs keyboard with the fist of an angry god*
wow ya vraiment de plus en plus de random noob qui arrive et qui spam le thread a mort.
qft
Wow Warran, you must have played a different game than the rest of the world, because what you're describing is FFVII, not CT. [bla bla bla]
what? FF7 was good, but not the best. Just innovational cuz it was one of the first consistent 3d rpg. CT was good, multiple endings, easter eggs, etc. I liked FF6 personally. Tales of Phantasia seemed promising, but it got repetitive and I didn't catch on.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
You're generalizing unfairly and did not argue a single point about the game.

CT, like FF7 and a plethora of other jrpgs suffers from an amazing amount of flaws. It astounds me how blidned by nostalgia everyone is in regards to these "classic" games when so, so much better is out.

I'm 18 and my older brother aws a huge jrpg fanatic, so i've played msot if not all the "quality" titles out there.

Unfortunately most of them are complete garbage, or at the very least severely flawed, yet lauded as exceptional and sometimes even literary masterpieces (XFD).

Chrono trigger had one-dimensional characters who displayed no growth (minus Frog, my childhood favorite, and Robo, though that was a sidequest and not very good). The main character is a mute with shiny gelled up colorful hair and a big sword and kind of loosk like goku. The only character that comes even close to itneresting is frog, and even then he's limited to maybe 2-3 good moments.

The various settings and how they're explored are graet, time travelling mechanic was innovative, fun and cool. The art is often beautifukl and the music is undoubtedly great, fun and some of the best in gaming (though cross, like in nearly every other category, crushes trigger here too).

The dialogue is atrocious, and not simply because of a bad translation. Looking at fantranslations "correcting" the translation amde by the square guy, they're even worse. One of my 'favorite' lines of dialogue comes from a random npc in the future. It goes something like "If you're looking for food, you lose!" Wow. Truly brilliant stuff here, even for a 90's video game!!!

Gameplay wise, it's a joke. You mash a, you use the strongest attack, you use your strongest heal. rpg gameplay is almost always shallow. jrpgs take this to the extreme. Triple/dual techs were 'borrowed' from phantasy star iv (a much better game and one of the few passable jrpgs), while the magic system is nothing exceptional. The boss fights are nothings special, and are all very easy and posed no challenge to me at 6, let alone 12 or 18 (i played it once again last year, this time as a rom after lpaying it on consoles the other two timse, speed up was a blessing to get through this).

I won't touch the story as that is much mroe subjective than any other criticism i have of the game, though i will say it is nothing special (which as i just said, can be contested much more so than any other thign i've said bad about the game)

Chrono trigger is not the worst game ever by any means. It does some things right, it has a passable story with some decent imagery in there somewhere. Frog is completely likable (though a bit on zany side with some of his stupid one-liners, though the alt translations i've seen of his stuff makes him smug and unlikable).

For great rpgs, you can try Fallout and Planescape: Torment. Might and Magic 7 was also very enjoyable, though i'm not sure how that aged as the last i played it i was 14.
Earthbound (despite non-existent character in the protagonists)
suikoden 2 (despite punctuation and boring characters out of maybe half a dozen of them)
phantasy star iv (despite 90's cheese and way too many random battles)
lufia 2 (despite terrible, terible, terrible dialogue and easy, easy gameplay)
grandia (disc 1) (despite awful loading times after battle, bad camera angles and sometimes atrocious voice acting)

all do the rpg thing much better

WarranThad

Smash Ace
none of the jrpgs of my youth aged well. my favorite, lufia 2, which i thought flawless, is now not nearly as good and i can see it's riddled with simple basic errors that anyone who's read anything decent can see.

final fantasy 7... i haven't played since i was mcuh youner but even then i didn't like it at all.

tales of phantasia has an awful fan translation with absolutely stupid lines that are vulgar for the sake of being vulgar, the gameplay is fun for a bit though (but quickly gets boring).

i dont really value multiple endings and many easter eggs when none of these things are substansial or anything but shallow and boring.

Card

Smash Lord
Thad you are ****ing awesome for saying mentioning Mother 2 (EarthBound) as that is my favorite SNES RPG of all time.

"For some strange reason, there is a Pencil Shaped statue blocking your path"
Ness gets the Pencil Eraser from the Apple Kid who states "Be careful not to use this near a store that sells Pencils"

priceless.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
the best line in earthbound (non-weeaboo name>weeaboo name imo <3 just kdiding)

Onett, random npc house:
guy in house: Can you name this beatles songs? XXXterday?
Yes No

i forget the responses to each answer, but as you can imagine.... SO GOOD.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
stop riding squaresoft's smallish japanese ****

ff7 is way too overrated

EDIT: or any other overrated japanese RPG out there

I'll pretend you've never said this, kthxbai?

FF7 was one of the most astonishing rpg of playstation. If you think it's overated and sux then go make another game with a great story such as this one, bet you can't.

FF7 was a big, big, big upgrade compare to the others, and who can say they didn't think the square hands were priceless O.O.The storyline is just a pure masterpiece, everything flows so well together. The characters were awesome, big boob tifa? >.> The cutscenes were pretty cool, good graphics.

FF6 is so far the best, to me. Kefka is the only ennemy that actually destroyed the planet...No one else did except for him, who could of think he would of did it, huh? Pretty cool, he is.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite. How can some say it has flaws? It's a snes games they didn't have and knew as much as we know now...Chrono looks like goku? No. Goku looks like chrono.The travel through time was indeed a pretty good, *thus why the name Chrono trigger but, anyway. xD* I liked the characters personality, not much described but, you can see it through the game. Glenn *Frog* has a great story in his past, that's mostly the only flaw in the game. We almost have no information on him, before.

I want no one to criticize on Mother 2 >.> Lol, @Card.

*Ness, founds a can of juice in the thrash can* Lol.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
If it wasn't than I wonder why it's still talked about 'till now and all...I wonder where you're are going with ''your new games are way better'' Name some...I see none atm, I totally see none of the new games that can beat the epicness of the old school snes-PS1 games.

Paty

Smash Apprentice
TestRider posting on Paty's account.

These arguments always have been and always will be pointless, everyone believes "their" game to be the best, simply because of the nostalgia factor. On a side note, Xenosaga was a promising series, and after finishing the first episode I was really expecting it to become the best RPG series in like, forever, but then of course they had to go ahead and send the whole thing crashing and burning with the second episode. GG

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
That happened to my DS too :(

Only now the entire thing just came off. It still works 100% though, it just is flimsy and easily flips open when im playing and shaking it (which doesnt happen, so its fine)
Serieux call them and demand repair.
this crap is obviously a defaut de fabrikation an no matter for how long uve had ur ds, they are responsible for their сunt ѕhit quality product they sell.

when you personally know 2 or 3 friends who experience a same problem on their products, ça vx dire qu'ya vraiment qqchose de sérieux wrong with it lol

( To learn more: http://jonchoo.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-ds-lite-super-hinge-crack.html )

</rant>

I feel for ya too brick, can't quitter des yeux that baby one second lol

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
TestRider posting on Paty's account.

These arguments always have been and always will be pointless, everyone believes "their" game to be the best, simply because of the nostalgia factor. On a side note, Xenosaga was a promising series, and after finishing the first episode I was really expecting it to become the best RPG series in like, forever, but then of course they had to go ahead and send the whole thing crashing and burning with the second episode. GG

Personally, I prefered way more Xenogears but, yeah Xenosaga was really promising, they fawked up with the 2nd but they got back on trail with the 3rd. So it's kind a good balance.

tect

Smash Journeyman
@alopex, i think thad wasn't talking about CT

@testrider, you can get the same effect of b-sticking without setting C to special... i haven't tested it, but the guide says so >_>

@montreal, i<3u

add me

FC: 1337-1337-1337

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
@ralph Holy**** Le DS yer broken en osti ya quand meme eu abus sur sa resistance jpense bin que un joueur normal qui joue sans trop peter de coche peut pas metre son DS dans cette eta la quand meme

WarranThad

Smash Ace
**** yeah mr saturns.

and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww @ xenosaga

and i'm talking objective qualities here.

and if someone thinks a video game storyline is a masterpiece, they are clearly really really wrong.

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
@ralph Holy**** Le DS yer broken en osti ya quand meme eu abus sur sa resistance jpense bin que un joueur normal qui joue sans trop peter de coche peut pas metre son DS dans cette eta la quand meme
not true.
my ds just cracked yesterday. there's only a crack at the right hinge.
mais à force d ouvrir fermer la ds pendent un autre mois, it will look exactly like that pic.

it's not like i play guitar hero on that thing. reading wikipedia is the basically only thing i do with my ds.

there's nothing to say. Fuсk Nintendo. jles aimes un-peu quand meme mais COME ON là! lol

im so gonna make a video... "WARNING: Heavy use of the DS like reading wikipedia might break your DS Lite's hinge."

</rant>

Paty

Smash Apprentice
@testrider, you can get the same effect of b-sticking without setting C to special... i haven't tested it, but the guide says so >_>
Actually no you can't, people who haven't tried it with the B-stick think they're getting the same effect because they haven't actually seen how much distance you gain by B-sticking your stuff.

W

wesk

Here is my code i ve entered the whole list.
Whoever wana play ill be on tonight

2320-5819-6222

Damax

Smash Lord
Actually no you can't, people who haven't tried it with the B-stick think they're getting the same effect because they haven't actually seen how much distance you gain by B-sticking your stuff.
Actually its possible to have the same effect, you only have to do it on the right frame à la samus super wavedash in melee. other wise, I can do an okay version tru smashing the control stick like crazy... I bet in the long term I could see a broken GC controller for the second time though.

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
Nice try? Go back to your thread. -_-
What the ****? Seriously.

Seriously, what the ****?

Don't ****ing talk to Mikey like that.
Oh, and I tried to start reading the 3-4'ish pages that I missed, and wow, facepalm^5594. Not worth the time.

I miss the good old days.

Msn Convo said:
CharLes says:
where's the good manly jokes about dlck rubbing and shoutout to random stuff
CharLes says:
place has died
CharLes says:
even if it has 10x more activity than before
^ QFT

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by Msn Convo
CharLes says:
where's the good manly jokes about dlck rubbing and shoutout to random stuff
CharLes says:
place has died
CharLes says:
even if it has 10x more activity than before
Hey Jarc can I rub your ****?

Shout out to Jesus.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
What the ****? Seriously.

Seriously, what the ****?

Don't ****ing talk to Mikey like that.

Wth? I ain't talking *like that* to anyone. I just said nice try for that Brawl code, *sigh* People these days. Takes everything seriously.

Learn to take jokes.

EDIT: Gg's WG. Was pretty fun. You like my nunchuk-Remote playing ? xD

cF=)

Smash Lord
Ben oui, au lieu de juste avouer que certaines personnes étaient présentes dans la communauté avant ta petite tronche et qu'elles méritent de pas être traités comme des caves, t'insultes davantage de monde comme si on avait aucun sens de l'humour. C'est peut-être toi qui est pas drôle hein? On se remet rarement en question quand on s'en criss de s'intégrer avec du monde qui joue à autre chose que brawl?

Alors écoute mon grand, je dis ça en toute modestie mais, contredire du monde comme si t'avais immuablement raison au lieu d'avouer que tu t'y prends très maladroitement pour faire "des jokes", c'est pas la meilleure façon de gagner un peu de respect. Tous les posts sont pas dirigés vers toi espèce de e-narcissique.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Ben oui, au lieu de juste avouer que certaines personnes étaient présente dans la communauté avant ta petite tronche et qu'elle mérite de pas être traité comme des caves, t'insultes davantage de monde comme si on avait aucun sens de l'humour. C'est peut-être toi qui est pas drôle hein? On se remet rarement en question quand on s'en criss de s'intégrer avec du monde qui joue à autre chose que brawl?

Alors écoute mon grand, je dis ça en toute modestie mais, contredire du monde comme si t'avais immuablement raison au lieu d'avouer que tu t'y prends très maladroitement pour faire "des jokes", c'est pas la meilleure façon de gagner un peu de respect. Tous les posts sont pas dirigés vers toi espèce de e-narcissique.

What you don't un...Oh god here I go speaking english with someone that speaks french to me >.>

J'insulte personne criss, c'est vous qui prenez tout au serieux dans ce que je dit. A chaque fois je dit quelque chose il y a quelqu'un qui me quote pour m'insulter parqu'il pense que je suis serieux ou quelque chose du genre. Je vais le dire juste une criss de fois pour que tout le monde comprene la. JE SUIS JAMAIS SERIEUX PIS JINSULTE PERSONNE OK? Si vous etes pas capable de nieser un peu ou watever ben debart ma crisser mon camp. Je vais retourner sur mes autres forums, que la au moins le monde i sont capable de nieser...

Pis tout le monde dit que vous faite des jokes pis toute. Ben a date j'en ai pas vu gros. Tout se que vous faite c'est que vous dites ''add my FC and we play'' On peut pas parler de d'autre chose que Super Smash ici? Pis dites moi pas: ''Ben, c'est un forum pour smash, duhhh'' Je sais sa, mais sa veut pas dire pour autant qu'on peut pas parler de d'autre chose.

Taleur c'etait cool parler des rpgs, on peut continuer a parler de d'autre chose que Super Smash, tse.

Dice

Smash Lord
Wth? I ain't talking *like that* to anyone. I just said nice try for that Brawl code, *sigh* People these days. Takes everything seriously.

Learn to take jokes.

EDIT: Gg's WG. Was pretty fun. You like my nunchuk-Remote playing ? xD
Because mikey is the mother ****ing truth!

Top Bottom