• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

WarranThad

Smash Ace
played tf2 today for first time in aw hile, lots of fun

read sirlins "positive" and negative thoughts on sf4, lot's of stuff he's of course right on... I'm upset about kara-cancelling again and im sad to hear about 1/60th second timings. maybe melee players will love sf4 though, they do enjoy practicing hours a day at mindless button pressing :). Still I'm having tons of fun playing the game casually, 'gief is beastly.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
yeah kara cancelling is not that hard with a stick but it's insane with a pad

The combos are not that hard, most of them are just standard hit confirmed special/super cancels ala 3rd strike. So far I didn't see any1 with a ultra cancellable move, so ultras are usually comboed from launchers, meaning that you still have a nice window to do the input.

And I don't know why sirlin is complaining about dash cancelling the focus attack. They give you like a huge timing window so you can do it super early and the input will be buffered. Also, the cancel is not automatic after the ex focus because you still have to choose between dashing forward, backward or keep going with the focus attack.

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
What are we bringing for the tourney anyways? Wiis? TVs? Power cables?
I can't really bring my SD since it's got RCA cable problems, but if there's space left I could haul my 26 inch over.
There's no room for your TV.

Here's the info once more:
==================================================
Just so we're all clear, here's some confirmation info:
Roundtrip 15$ each.
Departure from Métro Angrignon (green line), Saturday shortly after 8:30am. Dont be late.
Comming back on Sunday leaving around noon. Make sure you feed your kids, leave lunch money for your girlfriends, fake sickness to your bosses whichever applies.

Cemo make sure we all get housing.

RaIph
Cemo
Steb
Stef
Agora
+
Thad, Jer, Bento you guys figure it out who wants to confirm for the 2 remaining spots.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What are the sites to view live streamed MBC game and OGN?

Back when i used to watch it, was sc2.org, but that is no longer available.
I can wait a day or two for the vods, but its more fun to watch live.

EDIT:

Ally vs m2k.
from cat4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXA6bOr4bVA&eurl
What **** =x

There's no room for your TV.

Here's the info once more:
Roundtrip 15$ each.
Departure from Métro Angrignon (green line), Saturday shortly after 8:30am. Dont be late.
Comming back on Sunday leaving around noon. Make sure you feed your kids, leave lunch money for your girlfriends, fake sickness to your bosses whichever applies.

Cemo make sure we all get housing.

RaIph
Cemo
Steb
Stef
Agora
+
Thad, Jer, Bento you guys figure it out who wants to confirm for the 2 remaining spots.
Jer and I are coming. I'll be bringing a small TV. It's a flat screen so I wont mind having it on me in the car~

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who's going to OBScene have a 65w HP laptop charger that I can use for the tournament?

The tape on my damaged one is starting to wear off and its making small sparks and sometimes not working so that's no good.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
no the most problematic thing i saw in sirlins article, which is one of my problems with melee is here:

The game is filled with difficult 1-frame links. These are moves that just barely combo into each other with 1/60th of a second timing. In high level play, players will master these and they become common.

The effect of all these links is to hide the actual game behind an impenetrable wall of execution. If you practice (ie, develop 1p skills unrelated to strategy and unrelated to interaction with the opponent) then you gain access to the real game, a game of high damage off small hits, but only for the dexterous.

1/60th of a second timing is just stupid. good thing im gonna play zangief and most of my pokes will be sweeps and other non-linkable things when im not SPDing peoples faces

swordgard

Smash Hero
no the most problematic thing i saw in sirlins article, which is one of my problems with melee is here:

The game is filled with difficult 1-frame links. These are moves that just barely combo into each other with 1/60th of a second timing. In high level play, players will master these and they become common.

The effect of all these links is to hide the actual game behind an impenetrable wall of execution. If you practice (ie, develop 1p skills unrelated to strategy and unrelated to interaction with the opponent) then you gain access to the real game, a game of high damage off small hits, but only for the dexterous.

1/60th of a second timing is just stupid. good thing im gonna play zangief and most of my pokes will be sweeps and other non-linkable things when im not SPDing peoples faces

1 frame per hits(as in you actually have a hit that comes out in 1 frame in the combo) or theres only 1 frame where you can actually combo after say a hit that lasts X frames.

If so, why is there no buffering in that game seriously. Its stupid to create technical barriers that do not add to the depth of the game, reduces competitiveness.,

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Apparently it was in SF2 too, but in SF4, you can only link normal -> normal -> special by doing the normal -> normal part with specific timing because you can't cancel a normal into a special if that normal was canceled from a previous normal (confused yet?).

You can cancel a crouching jab into another crouching jab, but if you do that, you can't cancel the second jab into a special because the second jab was canceled from a previous normal.

But if you were to do a crouching jab, and wait for the animation to finish and before the hitstun ends, and then do another crouching jab, you can follow with a special because the second jab wasn't canceled from the first jab.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
1 frame per hits(as in you actually have a hit that comes out in 1 frame in the combo) or theres only 1 frame where you can actually combo after say a hit that lasts X frames.

If so, why is there no buffering in that game seriously. Its stupid to create technical barriers that do not add to the depth of the game, reduces competitiveness.,
1 frame window input timing.

Essential just frames all across the cast might be pushing it a bit, but hard execution doesn't reduce competition. If anything, you just won't be seeing 7th grader Jimmy at your tournament who's been practicing it up with his friends. Serious gamers onry.

buenob

Smash Lord
seriously the extra "normal" attack isn't such a huge deal... it's like what? no damage? the freaking ultra super you get via k-groove shenanigans is more of a deal to me... over the course of a round, you'll miss maybe 1/8th of their health in "extra" hits if you just ignore the normal->normal chains, and while that is a _lot_ and in top tier competitive play it will be essential, to get "good" at the game, pull off rediculous comboz and still have a great time playing all you need is your advanced tech skill from sf3

Smokey

Smash Rookie
Haha I own u all in SF4 Money match vs anyone on this board specially that scrub CHET!!!

RaIph

Smash Apprentice
that's a little late ):
means there's a free spot tomrow for last minute join for my ride.
else yall pay 90/5=18$ each.

Here's the info no more:
Roundtrip 90$ split between passengers.

RaIph
Cemo
Steb
Stef
Agora
Bento

Last spot for either Thad or whoever.

swordgard

Smash Hero
1 frame window input timing.

Essential just frames all across the cast might be pushing it a bit, but hard execution doesn't reduce competition. If anything, you just won't be seeing 7th grader Jimmy at your tournament who's been practicing it up with his friends. Serious gamers onry.
If something does not add depth(IE there is no reason to NOT l-cancel for example), and it only creates a technical barrier of skills. Then YES, it does reduce competition.

cemo

white walker
If something does not add depth(IE there is no reason to NOT l-cancel for example), and it only creates a technical barrier of skills. Then YES, it does reduce competition.
I don't understand if this is a pro or anti l-cancelling post.
I would guess against?

Top Bottom