• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moonwalking Information

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
one more question when you moonwalk into a spin edghog is there a risk of a selfdestruct like there is with normal spin edghogging?

kthnxbai

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalking works just fine in PAL. Keep practicing. :)

And yes, there is a risk of SD with moonwalk to up B edgehog. More with Y Link than Link in my experience (just like with normal up B edgehog).

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalking is slowly being put into effect in my area.

I was told that there are different things you could do to increase the distance of the moonwalk.

I detailed explanation of the process would be nice in your first post.:chuckle:

mr.NoOb

Smash Cadet
neat stuff....sooner or later people will figure out some mad uses for this...manipulate it somehow.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalking is slowly being put into effect in my area.

I was told that there are different things you could do to increase the distance of the moonwalk.

I detailed explanation of the process would be nice in your first post.:chuckle:
As far as I can tell, the only considerations of how far your character moonwalks are:
- which character you are
- what surface you're on
- if you have a bunny hood
- how well you perform the technique (ie, moving the stick faster, spending less time in the down position, holding back long enough to get the distance)

In training mode at 1/4 speed, it is possible to do perfect moonwalks, which means you don't even ever push the stick down; you simply move it from one direction to the other (like a dashdance). Theoretically, one could probably do this at full speed, and thus have longer moonwalks, but in practice the half circle technique is the best way to do it.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
hmm i still cant walk it out. I know the vid says roll towards the edge then dash away and hold down. Then hit left. But all i do is just turn around can anyone help me.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
You don't hold down. You push down for as little time as possible. You also dash for as little time as possible. Basically, just go faster. It takes some practice, but you'll get it.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
I made a small change in the bunny hood list and added a new application. If somebody could make a simple video of the new application (the crawl) I would appreciate it and put it in the first post. Thanks.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
Hey, I know I'm bumping this old thread but I need some help xD. I finally got down the whole moonwalk edgehog concept w/ Link but I'm still having trouble w/ C.Falcon. I can moonwalk pretty well but I can't get enough distance with Falcon and when I hold back, it makes me face forward so I can't edgehog.

Another question, how exactly do you moonjump (not sure if that's the term) because everytime I attempt to moonjump, all I get is a short hop backwards. Help? Sorry for the tourlbe and thanks in advance :)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You don't have to do the half circle back around to the opposite side to moonwalk, you just have to dash one way then get back to the side where you started without going throgh the center. Here's a diagram I made.

I believe most of the good falcons do it the green arrow way.

Mr.C

Smash Master
you can also give yourself momentum by holding down and sort of pushing out of it

if your fast enough you can do 2 perfect moonwalks in one animation causing its distance to be about the size of fd

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
you can also give yourself momentum by holding down and sort of pushing out of it

if your fast enough you can do 2 perfect moonwalks in one animation causing its distance to be about the size of fd
I can't even edgehog w/ Falcon's moonwalk, its embarrassing. :embarrass

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Masterwumpus, I'll try and get vid of the crawl for you next time I play with my crewmate who uses it. Yes, I realize I'm responding to his seven month old post.

For now, there is this vid of my crewmate using the moonwalk in a different way.

Fabulous Fox Trot

It doesn't really have too much of a usefulness factor, but hey, it's there.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Fox trottings a completely different thing, that wasn't fox trotting

Mr.C

Smash Master
If you a moonwalk but instead of going through with the original moonwalk you moonwalk then rotate back to the direction you started from you character will lag...it will look like a frozen walking animation... then you can dash attack... some characters dash attacks become longer but this is mostly for mindgames. This is called a delayed dash attack
its pretty tricky if you use it right.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

What do you mean by "holding down and sort of pushing out of it"? Could you be more specific?

Mr.C

Smash Master
while your moonwalking you can push and hold down for a moment then resume your normal moonwalk this will help you moonwalk further.

its kinda hard to explain lols

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, the only considerations of how far your character moonwalks are:
- which character you are
- what surface you're on
- if you have a bunny hood
- how well you perform the technique (ie, moving the stick faster, spending less time in the down position, holding back long enough to get the distance)

In training mode at 1/4 speed, it is possible to do perfect moonwalks, which means you don't even ever push the stick down; you simply move it from one direction to the other (like a dashdance). Theoretically, one could probably do this at full speed, and thus have longer moonwalks, but in practice the half circle technique is the best way to do it.
That is interesting about the training mode. I've been trying to moonwalk this way for a few minutes and I can do it on 2/3 speed pretty consistently but not yet full speed. I think it works this way because you have to be in the turn around position before the dash animation is finished starting (one frame). So you have to be ungodly fast to do this at regular speed... I think it might be doable though with practice.

Edit--can now moonwalk this way in full speed, but inconsistent success.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Moonwalking is much easier with link than falcon, even though he can go further you have to be much better at it.

I love sticky walking :)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Just updated my diagram and added stickywalking to it :)

Magus420

Smash Master
...Stickywalk?

Sounds like my 'Stupid dash' I've been doing for years, lol.

You don't have to do all of that to do it either. Just tap dash and release it right away, then press and hold that same direction shortly afterwards and you get the same effect.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398

i tried it then found out this version of it, you can vary the speed that you run at with any character.

Magus420

Smash Master
B should be more around the diagonal than straight down/up. If you go past the diagonal you crouch (downward) or jump/runbrake (upward).

You can also control the speed with the double dash I was talking about by moving it and holding within that range between A to B after hitting the second tap to trigger the run.

All it is is going into the run animation from about a standstill which looks odd because it takes a bit to accelerate and normally the dash has already done that. The part about controlling your speed can be done whether you do it like that or not. If you just dash and run normally and hold diagonally instead of horizontal you also run slower than normal.

By releasing the control stick (or holding down) you minimize the distance your initial dash travels, allowing you to further come to a stop by the time you reach the max window of when you can still trigger the run out of the dash.

By adding in a moonwalk though, it's possible to have a bit less forward momentum when you get to the end of the run window. The window ends before you can get the max distance out of most moonwalks though. If you manage to have backwards momentum when you start the run the run animation will actually freeze completely still untill you begin to start moving forward and will begin to speed up as you get up to speed.

Mr.C

Smash Master
...Stickywalk?

Sounds like my 'Stupid dash' I've been doing for years, lol.

You don't have to do all of that to do it either. Just tap dash and release it right away, then press and hold that same direction shortly afterwards and you get the same effect.
its the same use the "stupid dash" slows you down but you have to move forward to do so meaning its harder to actually use in a real match because of spacing issues.

the "sticky walk" you can do instantly without having to dash. which means you can be already moonwalking, wavedashing, or dashing towards your opponent and you will still be able to pull it off.

Magus420

Smash Master
Well, you do still have to dash and move forward a bit to moonwalk though it is a bit less than if you just tap dash since you start to slow down/move backwards just before the time you have to hit forward to run and do a sticky walk or whatever.

Adding to what I was saying about your run animation freezing if you're still moving backwards when you start the run: http://files.filefront.com/Falcon+++Moonwalk+to+Stuphavi/;7811103;;/fileinfo.html

Magus420

Smash Master
Double moonwalk then hit forward to start the run and then hold it at diagonal. You can get more backwards momentum on the 2nd/following moonwalks because you already have some left from the previous when going into the next, instead of moving forward a bit at the start like you do on the 1st one.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
omg i can do moonwalk but i can never do that double moonwalk and freeze a bit one lol
that thing's tight

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Woa, great guide, I was doing it all wrong >_<

I thought you HAD to go through the blue arrows, and I was wondering why i could do it at like light speed and it still never did anything for me D:

That is why

Anyways, I just tried it and mewtwo moonwalking is very sexy

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Are Red Shirt's moonwalks in his video the same length that people like Silent Spectre do? Because I've been able to do a similar length moonwalk, but it doesn't give me any backwards acceleration after jumping. It looks like barely enough to edgehog.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Not sure if the reasoning has been given yet, but I think this is how it works out:
Every character has an initial dash period. During this time you cannot stop the dash in any way other than dashing in the other direction (discluding attacks.) Pressing down (crouching) is considered changing your momentum, though you normally can't do it during an initial dash. I believe the programmers hack-fixed (in a sense) the initial dash and forgot to disclude the ability to down-cancel due to it apparently being visually gone (although it was still physically there.) When you press down during an initial dash, the code triggers a variable declaring that you have ended your dash momentum, but the initial dash declarative isn't reset, allowing you to change your momentum (moonwalk backwards, or utilize a tilt to sticky/slow walk.)

If this is the case, no, this is not a glitch, it's an oversight.

Magus420

Smash Master
You can moonwalk by holding full forward to begin the dash on frame 1, then on the very next frame hold full behind without ever pressing down at all and still moonwalk. This is also how you do a perfect moonwalk, but it is extremely difficult since you must go from forward to back without the game being able to read it fast enough when you pass through the center. You can't do it that way out of a dash dance tho since you are able to turn immediately, and to do it out of a DD you need to hold down/down&back for 2 frames iirc.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
You mean you can perfect moonwalk out of a dash after the initial dash (dash dance) period has ended?

If so, then explaining that would be pretty easy: centering the joystick will kill kinetic momentum and friction will take over (ground or air), and bypassing centering it would bypass neutralizing the momentum. Pressing down during a dash also counts as killing momentum, bypassing friction, as does jump canceling to an extent.

curthizz

Smash Apprentice
hey could u guys update ur diagrams by adding in stead of the circle containg the bca icons. put hte shpe that is around the normal joystick. that octagon. moonwalking is so hard!

Top Bottom