• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Bowser Questions

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
Sup guys I'm here with some more questions (surprising huh)

I like these thread cause I can ask specific questions that sometimes don't get answered in guides, and can come back to this thread for this one question/ series of questions. (Skype is very annoying with Windows 8)

So I gone back and watched Odds' PM win at Salt Flats 3 (Congrats BTW) and I have a few questions that you all can add insight to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzGrWiuJLCU

At 1:35 Odds does an F tilt from dashing.
If I can recall correctly this is just Dashing, to ducking, then quickly to a tilt.
Is that right, How do you consistently get F tilt and not Fsmash? Is this only useful at higher percents for a kill/edgeguard?

At 2:44 Odds shows off his sick ledge movement on the stage then back.
Can you guys walk me through The techniques he was using?

In the Fox vs Bowser match up, how do you punish a blocked up smash assuming you didn't fall off a platform.
I know Up B OoS does this but I want to know if a harder punish existed. Can I just read an Up Smash and Side B in his face?

How do you Side B to ledge grab, each time I try it I pass the ledge then I SD.

30:35 just a cool combo I wanted to direct your attention to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nUvKyFMJT8

This is more questions about the match up.

My friend pick up Lucario recently and wrecked me with a character he doesn't know too well, (He's a great player(
and he kept taking me from 0 to 78 pretty consistently.
Is my combo DI that bad? How should I CC properly in this match up? How do I deal with his shield pressure.

Lastly, How did Odds do so many Jab1's in rapid succession.

I am aware Odds has a video guide highlighting some of these questions, but I like me some old fashioned text to read.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
I am aware Odds has a video guide highlighting some of these questions, but I like me some old fashioned text to read.
Hello. Welcome to PM Bowser boards. I understand that text is hard to beat when it comes to references, but please don't ignore the sources you admittedly need JUST because it's simply an inconvenience to you. That's rather cold. He put in a lot of work into Bowser to make that happen, as many of us have been doing as well. Not only that, but there is already a good chunk of text (which you prefer anyway) in these boards that could answer some of your questions.

That being said (i'm feeling generous right meow):
1)Ftilt out of dash is performed exactly how you think it is. You consistently get an Ftilt out of dash by doing it over and over and over again until you do not Fsmash. There is no shortcut, no untold secret that you need to search for other than boring, mundane practice. Also, it's one of Bowser's bigger, stronger, shield damaging moves, so you can use it for shield pressure as well. Please do, actually.
2) Odds is letting go of the ledge, then jumping, and immediately wavedashing/wavelanding onto the stage, then FortressHogging back onto the ledge. Unfortunately, this method is not optimal with Bowser as his 3-frame ledge jump allows him to be much safer on the ledge than what was demonstrated.
3) Too much pushback on shield is hard to counter with any character. Bowser lacks the speed/moves to immediately capitalize on such a thing, so you will have to do a hard read if you feel like you need to punish. If you have given the opponent the fear of you running at them with a dash attack or a grab, then this step just got easier.
4+6)Read Bowser's Frame Data thread. Use Debug mode when practicing. Enable ledge grab boxes. Jab1 Interruptible As Soon As is frame 20. Crouch frame 21. Let go. Jab again. Practice.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ Osmosis124 Osmosis124 Hey; sorry I haven't checked these forums lately - I mostly hang out in the PM Social and Tier List Speculation threads in GD. If you have more questions for me after this, you're welcome to join the Bowser Skype Chat; I'm in there an embarrassing amount of time as well.

Regarding the ftilt from run, I sorta cheat a bit - I use custom controls, namely, C stick is set to "attack" rather than Smash, allowing me to ftilt by hitting the c stick forward, and jab by hitting it diagonally or backwards -- both of these work from crouch and allow ftilts from dash in much quicker (and more consistent) order than traditional means. C Stick Attack (or CSA) also makes the rapid jabs much easier - just hold down on joystick, and repeatedly jab with the c stick in a rhythmic fashion.

Ftilt is a decent spacing move in some matchups where your opponent has significantly less range than you; as well as a situational edgeguarding move. Because of the endlag it's pretty niche, sorry I can't really provide a more precise guide.

Abeebo is completely correct about the ledge movement. In most situations it's better to simply ledge jump, then waveland onto the stage from that - the method I was using (dropping, then double jumping, then perfect wavelanding) is very unsafe; I just wanted a bit of extra range for my fortress hogs.

If Fox spaces his usmash properly on your shield, your only available punish is a fair OoS.

The location of Bowser's ledge grab box during the side b is a bit unintuitive. Turn on Ledge Grab Box Display Toggle in Debug mode to practice using it.

I'm terrible against Lucario, can't really help much.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Its also worth to mention that if you shield di towards fox upsmash it is easier to punish it and/or not get pushed to ledge

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Doesn't that make you roll?
Not if you A) Don't tilt the stick enough to cause a roll or B) Tilt the stick slowly. Basically anytime you see someone angle/tilt their shield that will also lead to shield DI (technically called shield ASDI I think).

Last edited:
Top Bottom