• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morehead, Kentucky 1/31/09

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Hey smash players this is the official thread for the G3 tourney which was moved from 12/3/08.

Date: Saturday Jan.31 2009 (This is not official due to possible events we do not know about or weather.)
Location: G3 arcade and Internet Cafe 146 East Main Street Morehead, Ky 40351

11:00 AM Registration for doubles
11:50 AM Registration ends for doubles
12:00 PM Tournament begins for doubles
3:00 PM - 3:30 PM Intermission
3:30 PM Registration for singles
4:20 PM Registration Ends for singles
4:30 PM Tourney starts for singles

Entry fee is $5 for singles, 10$ per team (payout is same as singles)
$5 Venue Fee
1st place gets 70% of pot (so 40 people means $140.00)
2nd place 25%
3rd place 5%

Ruleset
  • No items (Switched to off and none)
  • 8 minutes per round
  • 3 stock
  • Double elimination
  • Best 2 out of 3
  • No character bans
  • Team Attack ON
  • Stock Sharing is allowed
Stages

Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Lylat Cruise

Counter -
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino
  • Halberd
  • Pokémon Stadium 1
  • Brinstar
  • Corneria
  • Distant Planet
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Jungle Japes
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Pictochat
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Bans
Meta Knight: Infinite cape
Stalling
Standing Infinites

All other Infinites can be used.

Stage Striking is allowed, however before the striking begins both players must have selected their characters already. Those characters do not change after the striking has been done. If there is a dispute over wanting or not wanting to do Stage striking between you and your opponent then do not use stage striking.

If the timer runs out victory will be determined by the player with most stocks left. If both players share the same amount of stocks then it is determined by the player with least amount of percentage.

If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. (This counts for wario's bite, King dedede, Gannondorf F-Special and any other intentional suicide move)

We ask you all to show proper gaming etiquette and treat your opponent with respect. In other words no I hope you lose, noob you suck, or any other mean phrases towards your opponent. Doing so will result in a warning, second time you will be asked to leave the event with no refund.

Brawl must be loaded through Disc Channel. Loading through homebrew is not allowed.

These rules are not set in stone rules MAY change due to complaints or good reasoning for changing. Until Monday Jan. 26 2009 the rules will be discussed for the tourney once the 26th hits no rules will be changed.

We encourage players to bring own wii motes or controllers. So far we have 4 televisions and 4 wiis if you think we need more then I encourage you to bring a television and wii. Venue fee will be waived if you bring a Set up. Lets try to get a max of 7

People bringing setups
  • Mister Eric (TV, Wii, Brawl)
  • Mayling (TV, Wii, Brawl)
  • Xisin (TV, Wii, Brawl)
  • Shadowbot (Wii,Brawl) (We have an extra TV at the arcade.)
I hope to receive suggestions and (yeah I will say it) complaints. Remember though I am the TO they determine the price and prizes so any complaints may take some time. Stages and Bans can be determined easily. I am now gonna be on smash boards about 3 times a day so expect replies or request answered on the day posted.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
i would change your ruleset, or you wont really get even a half decent turnout.

8 minute matches? no stock?
single elimination?

sorry to say this.. but LOL at infinite throws to 300%, why dont you just make it free wins for the players who can infinate against others.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
i would change your ruleset, or you wont really get even a half decent turnout.

8 minute matches? no stock?
single elimination?

sorry to say this.. but LOL at infinite throws to 300%, why dont you just make it free wins for the players who can infinate against others.
oops my bad yeah add this 3 stock, double elimination I knew I forgot something. :laugh:
as for infinite throws this is how it is usually done at most tournies I have been to.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
get rid of the infinate grabs,there banned in most tournaments...

and i would edit your post.. since you failed to do so so far..

sorry not trying to be mean, but this is even worse then Nexus Smash's ruleset. :laugh:

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
get rid of the infinate grabs,there banned in most tournaments...

and i would edit your post.. since you failed to do so so far..

sorry not trying to be mean, but this is even worse then Nexus Smash's ruleset. :laugh:
Ok give me the ruleset you would use. I may consider.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
here is my ruleset for my tournament coming up. it isnt completed yet but this is the basics for it , i have to add to it that Infinites are BANNED.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208677&highlight=impact+killed

you should attend it, im assuming your new to the smash community
Hmm sounds interesting. Unfortunately I will be working on that date. I am new to the community, but I have been playing the smash games both casually and seriously for about a good 9 years. Anywho as for infinite grabs I am giving more voices a chance to declare whether they want it or not. The stages you picked for yours is a possible list. I just don't want to make changes under the request of one player until I at least get a few making the same claim. more importantly i don't want to make changes for a person or persons who do not intend showing up. Thanks for the suggestions I am new to being a TO so it always helps. Overall I am very a guess soft on the rules at first until I see what needs changing by Jan. 1 who knows what the rules will look like (they get more strict not less btw). I hope you attend the tourney we hope to bring a good amount in.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm sounds interesting. Unfortunately I will be working on that date. I am new to the community, but I have been playing the smash games both casually and seriously for about a good 9 years. Anywho as for infinite grabs I am giving more voices a chance to declare whether they want it or not. The stages you picked for yours is a possible list. I just don't want to make changes under the request of one player until I at least get a few making the same claim. more importantly i don't want to make changes for a person or persons who do not intend showing up. Thanks for the suggestions I am new to being a TO so it always helps. Overall I am very a guess soft on the rules at first until I see what needs changing by Jan. 1 who knows what the rules will look like (they get more strict not less btw). I hope you attend the tourney we hope to bring a good amount in.
im going to do you a favor and send you Inui;s tournament list, he holds the largest and most successful tournaments in NJ.

edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201149&highlight=tbagz

there you go i hope it helps. im just showing that im not the only one with rules like this, these are the rules accepted basically bu the world

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
im going to do you a favor and send you Inui;s tournament list, he holds the largest and most successful tournaments in NJ.

edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201149&highlight=tbagz

there you go i hope it helps. im just showing that im not the only one with rules like this, these are the rules accepted basically bu the world
Thanks for the help and this will be considered. Do you think it would be wise to do both a singles and double tourney one the same day after already being posted as a single?

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
yeah its fine, most people do that, they host doubles and then singles. honestly if i was you i wouldnt jump into the smash community randomly and host a tournament, i did that and we got like 13 people. and only 4 of them were -out of area-

i would attend tournaments first and make a name for yourself.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah its fine, most people do that, they host doubles and then singles. honestly if i was you i wouldnt jump into the smash community randomly and host a tournament, i did that and we got like 13 people. and only 4 of them were -out of area-

i would attend tournaments first and make a name for yourself.
How many people does the biggest tourney in NJ bring in usually?

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I don't see infitnte throws to be an issue really it only pertains to certain matchups and thats why you counterpick (marth vs ness, DK vs D3 ect)

if its really that big of a deal just limit it to 5 or so regrabs since the grabs are indeed a part of the match up, just something people have to deal with. I've participated in several tounaments where infinites were allowed and it never produced a problem.

its up to the community though, so whatever fits, just my oppinion.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
I don't see infitnte throws to be an issue really it only pertains to certain matchups and thats why you counterpick (marth vs ness, DK vs D3 ect)

if its really that big of a deal just limit it to 5 or so regrabs since the grabs are indeed a part of the match up, just something people have to deal with. I've participated in several tounaments where infinites were allowed and it never produced a problem.

its up to the community though, so whatever fits, just my oppinion.
they must have had bad rulesets, i mean you guys are from kentucky or something. i dont know how differently you guys do things.

but against marth, you instanly cant win with lucas and ness, its completely and utterly unfair

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
they must have had bad rulesets, i mean you guys are from kentucky or something. i dont know how differently you guys do things.

but against marth, you instanly cant win with lucas and ness, its completely and utterly unfair
Hmm I have talked to several sources about the infinite throwing. I used the rulesets you gave me Tbagz as examples of tournies that ban them. I still get less responses to kill the infinite throws. However I don't just sit here and watch the complaints without study. It is possible that these infinite throws will be banned once I can truly see and convince myself that their existence in this tourney will kill off the crowd. I am a believer in tactics, advantages and disadvantages. I see it is possible that ness defeats marth and that nothing is impossible when it comes to match ups. The ness player will need to be more cautious and the fact of the infinite adds a new level to the match. It is unfair to the ness when you think about it and because this is a tourney that is meant to create a community and also raise money for the local arcade I feel that the throws will be more considered for ban if for example you decided to come to this tourney or basically far travelers who want to participate that tell me "Hey I am coming from X place and I really think the infinite throws should be banned" Xisin intends on coming to the tourney and although this seems mean (sorry) I am going to consider his ideas just a little closer because he is attending I have a few from lexington, Ky (1 hr. of travel from morehead) who are coming and they have no complaints on the Infinite throws. Don't think I still won't consider your advice and input (it is greatly appreciated) but I am basing the changes on the opinions and suggestions from players that are coming. Once again continue to give advice if you want to i will consider it no doubt. This sounds like I am judging your attendance (I am and sorry) mainly because of your location compared to where the tourney is. So I am going to see it as you might be attending for now but I would like to know if you do plan on it or not.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
and bump... on another note i hope to see some people from the lexington tournament show up to the morehead tournament. just post let us know.

Shadowbot

Smash Apprentice
Yea I want to see a lot of the guys from Lexington to show up. That tournament was really successful and we can only hope that this tourney will be just as good.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yea I want to see a lot of the guys from Lexington to show up. That tournament was really successful and we can only hope that this tourney will be just as good.
Did you come to ours?

------------------------------------------------

And, I will bring all I can.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
So it is possible that there will be a doubles as well, if so the start time will change. I need to know anyone who is interested in doing doubles. Also there is a possible MK ban.

Graz69

Smash Cadet
first of all, the rules are bad enough. then again im a jersey player, idk how u guys do things in kentucky

2 if you ban MK thats even gayer. lol and i dont even use MK.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
first of all, the rules are bad enough. then again im a jersey player, idk how u guys do things in kentucky

2 if you ban MK thats even gayer. lol and i dont even use MK.
Well I am a MK user and I don't agree with he ban either. I am the TO however and the ONLY reason I would ban him is if I knew it would affect the overall player count. (So far it is not) I had another jersey player tell me the rules were bad and if you read earlier I explained to TBAGZ if you planned on coming then I will consider the input more than I would if you were not planning to attend. Thanks for the comment on rules however I do put thinking on them as for the MK ban that is probably not going to happen.

Shadowbot

Smash Apprentice
Was I there... That's a good question, considering you're the one that gave me a ride, ha. But, yea I figured you would have immediately guessed who this was.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I like the idea of the doubles tournament, which would be held first also check your PMs.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Stage list has been cleaned up now there is just the starters we have and the counters no counter/starters.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I get to come (aka if Eric gives me a ride =D)

I would love a doubles tournament.
I would love a MK ban. <3 (though I'll prolly still come even if he's not.)
I think the infinite throw 300% is fine, especially if it's 2/3. (Though if you want to delve further into this, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209820 I think it's a good read: it'll educate you on some of utmost unfair advantages some chars have against others )

Btw are you gonna use Tio? It was the program we used at the last tournament.

Shadowbot

Smash Apprentice
I think banning standing infinites should be done. Dedede's moving chain throw should be allowed, but his standing chain throw against DK should be banned. I think if you ban standing infinites it will make matches a lot more fun to watch and make really bad match ups fair, especially in the losers bracket where it isn't 2/3.

Just my thoughts

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
If I get to come (aka if Eric gives me a ride =D)

I would love a doubles tournament.
I would love a MK ban. <3 (though I'll prolly still come even if he's not.)
I think the infinite throw 300% is fine, especially if it's 2/3. (Though if you want to delve further into this, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209820 I think it's a good read: it'll educate you on some of utmost unfair advantages some chars have against others )

Btw are you gonna use Tio? It was the program we used at the last tournament.
I hope you to get to show up for the tourney Mayling.
I am going to announce the official decision on the doubles tourney by this Friday.
As much as I am against the ban of MK the ban is quite possible if I know it will lure more people in.
I am not sure on what I am going to use for the bracket more than likely TIO, but I don't know most peoples feelings towards the program.
Thanks for the link I always need some info to make this experience better.

I think banning standing infinites should be done. Dedede's moving chain throw should be allowed, but his standing chain throw against DK should be banned. I think if you ban standing infinites it will make matches a lot more fun to watch and make really bad match ups fair, especially in the losers bracket where it isn't 2/3.

Just my thoughts
I am almost positive I am going to ban standing infinites. it is a glitch that truly just bothers me personally plus I agree it would make match ups more fun. However the final decision can not be made until I see some additonal acceptance of it being banned.

THE TO HAS SPOKEN!!!! :laugh:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I'm fine with infinites banned or not banned, but when does it become an infinite? the momments its started? after so many repeats of the same action are done? Wall infinites banned too? some questions to answer there.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with infinites banned or not banned, but when does it become an infinite? the momments its started? after so many repeats of the same action are done? Wall infinites banned too? some questions to answer there.
It becomes infinite after being used twice for example marth vs. ness the minuet after the first grabs let go and ness is in his "Grab me again stance" grabbing him again would count as the infinite. Same goes fro any standing infinite. The reason for standing infinites is because grabs are easy to do in a sense. I mean we all get a grab on our opponent one point or another during a match. Moving infinites I approve of because it does take some skill to continue the movement and then initiate the grab this is questionable and maybe something I should have not answered so prematurely but I can always edit. As for wall infinites I approve of them as well because the opponent has to be caught near the wall an experienced player will avoid walls when facing wall infinite characters. A newbie will probably be caught in the wall, killed, then apply the lesson learned of staying away from the wall.

Remember I will not make any changes until I hear more on this issue from future attendies but if I do ban infinites this will be the ruling on how it will be banned

Delvro

Smash Ace
It becomes infinite after being used twice for example marth vs. ness the minuet after the first grabs let go and ness is in his "Grab me again stance" grabbing him again would count as the infinite. Same goes fro any standing infinite. The reason for standing infinites is because grabs are easy to do in a sense. I mean we all get a grab on our opponent one point or another during a match. Moving infinites I approve of because it does take some skill to continue the movement and then initiate the grab this is questionable and maybe something I should have not answered so prematurely but I can always edit. As for wall infinites I approve of them as well because the opponent has to be caught near the wall an experienced player will avoid walls when facing wall infinite characters. A newbie will probably be caught in the wall, killed, then apply the lesson learned of staying away from the wall.

Remember I will not make any changes until I hear more on this issue from future attendies but if I do ban infinites this will be the ruling on how it will be banned
Why don't you require a dash in between grabs? That stops infinites yet still allows chain-grabs to your heart's desire.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
The more I looked into it, the more I'm sickened by infinites (and I don't even play the characters that they effect.) Today I played Marth and all I did was press x to fight Lucas. =( It was so sad.

I'd really appreciate you looking into some ruling regarding standing infinites at the least. I think what Delvro mentioned was a good idea.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you require a dash in between grabs? That stops infinites yet still allows chain-grabs to your heart's desire.
I like the idea. Is this commonly used in tournaments? Hmm I will probably use this when I update the rules tonight. (We are doing a doubles tourney as well!!)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
No one should ever have a problem with Tio ^__^ it's amazing-o.
I'll address my opinion on the whole infinite situation...

Standing infinites - Yes, they are avoidable, but it's almost like trying to get a jab off on a person, it will most likely eventually happen. And then the stock is theirs. On top of that, WastingPenguins makes an incredible point when speaking specifically about D3's infinite grab:

Can someone tell me at what percent D3 is capable of using his infinite on Samus, Mario and Luigi? I'm assuming it's under the 300% cap?

Here's what I don't like: that a D3 player, who is fighting one of these three and has achieved a position where he could score a KO, is instead allowed to choose to stall the match. At that point, if you choose to infinite, you are stalling the match and nothing more. There is no other explanation, rationalization, or otherwise. This is very different from, for instance, ledge-stalling, where there are plenty of other possible reasons that you don't immediately choose to return to the stage. Doesn't this stand in stark contrast to the precedent set by other pure-stalling tactics that have been banned? Can someone else name a pure-stalling tactic that you are allowed to use for a certain period of time, and THEN have to either stop or forfeit the match?

Why the hell did we ban Meta Knight's cape stall outright? Why didn't we allow the MK player to use it... only under certain circumstances, and only just for a little while, THEN tell them to stop?
WastingPenguins' point about even stalling a match with the infinite makes this whole concept absurd. It gives D3 far too many advantages. And if we are so eager to up and ban MK, and not do one thing about D3, then ugh...It seems a little biased to me. Our goal here is to make tournament-play as fair as possible.

CGs - Chain grabbing is fine in my book just because it ends fairly quickly (as long as stages that greatly put a character at a disadvantage b/c of it are taken away).

CG Wall infinites - My thoughts stay the same as with standing infinites.

All other infinites - Same.

Delvro made a good pt about breaking infinites.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for being away. I now have a job so i am kinda busy. Anyway I updated the ruleset. Added the new time, and banned standing infinites. Also no stock sharing in doubles. Let me know thing I forgot to add and as always tell me what you think needs to change.

Top Bottom