• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most boring/hated stretches of generally good games

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It really is the worst decision a developer has ever made.
Is it odd that I enjoyed how different the Triforce Hunt segment was? Don't spear me!

As for me, the trip to Hyrule Castle for the first time in OoT, the cuscenes are epic, but the sneaking just bugs the hell out of me.

Oh, and the Deku Tree.

Having to collect all the blue coins to get 120 shines in Super Mario Sunshine....uggghhh....kill me.... I can't remember the 3 I didn't pick up in Noki Bay, and those segments are just generally blah.

Oot: Water temple is soooo long.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days: Whenever Saix gives you a like 3-4 missions it's so boring. You don't even get to watch a cutscene until you finish all of them

Final Fantasy IV: The last chapter "Endgame" where in you have to pass through a lot of floors x_x but I'm relieved when I reach Zemus I mean Zeromus. Also, I hate the random battles whenever your in a rush

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Losts of moments in WW.
The trioforce hunt, Tingle, the sailing(this makes side quest searching slow and tedious), and the first dungeon stealth without any way for Link to defend himself.

OOT water temple both versions

EV training in general(Try Attack EV training in Hoenn and you'll know why)

Victory road(GSC Victory road is bearable) since it testsPP more than anything else.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Final Fantasy IV: The last chapter "Endgame" where in you have to pass through a lot of floors x_x but I'm relieved when I reach Zemus I mean Zeromus. Also, I hate the random battles whenever your in a rush
Wicked Mask :(.

Make them stop.

A_man13

Smash Master
Subspace Emmisary. Enough said. Getting to try out the characters was nice and the boss catching was a challange, but otherwise it was a lot more platforming than needed.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Metroid Prime: fighting Metroid Prime. He's a boring boss to fight, and doesn't have great music like most of the other bosses.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: Definitely Agon Wastes. No cool bosses, boring scenery, music sucked.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Eh, Triforce Hunt wasn't that bad unless you already explored most of the Great Sea.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Eh, Triforce Hunt wasn't that bad unless you already explored most of the Great Sea.
This.

I took the time to already chart everything for a "Let's Play Wind Waker: 100%" (which is really long and boring), so by the time I got to the Triforce Shards I was bored. I did a 100% though so...might be kind of biased.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Triforce hunt was awful, and I hated the super-long cutscenes in the Golden Sun games that led up to the Lighthouse fights, because the success of those was often based on whether or not the bosses decided to target Mia or not. >_>

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Time Splitters 2: The Aztec level where you've got to move the stones in order to open the door (On medium and hard difficulty). It's also boring dealing with the wood golems.

I also thought the robot factory was sort of boring, at least the beginning of the level.

Winback 64: It's either level 26, 27 or both. It's soo long and your in a factory the entire time. Nothing new or interesting changes.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
A very dragged out series of good games would be mario games and sonic games. I mean, how many more things can they put mario and sonic in before they get that were are absolutely content with say: Sonic Adventure Battle 2 and Super Mario bros. Wii?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
A very dragged out series of good games would be mario games and sonic games. I mean, how many more things can they put mario and sonic in before they get that were are absolutely content with say: Sonic Adventure Battle 2 and Super Mario bros. Wii?
What are you trying to say here? How can you compare the Mario series with the Sonic series?

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Time Splitters 2: The Aztec level where you've got to move the stones in order to open the door (On medium and hard difficulty). It's also boring dealing with the wood golems.

I also thought the robot factory was sort of boring, at least the beginning of the level.

Winback 64: It's either level 26, 27 or both. It's soo long and your in a factory the entire time. Nothing new or interesting changes.
Timesplitters 2.

My God.

Story mode was SO FREAKIN HARD, even on normal. But some were pretty fun though.

UberMario

Smash Master
Paper Mario: the intro, it's a great plot but it takes too long, especially with the battle you can not win. I wouldn't have removed it though.

Mario Kart: anything on 50cc, especially in MKDS and MKWii.

Pokemon Platinum: the first 10-or-so minutes, man, they have to show you everything as if you wouldn't find out eventually. Did I really need a tour of the whole town when the important buildings stick out like sore thumbs?

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2: creating a new park landscape before starting a game on it is definitely fun, but it takes hours just to setup a square map with two mountains and a river . . . . .

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
I'll tell you the most boring: That one moment in every Pokemon game where a trainer shows you how to catch a Pokemon in the beginning. They always take their sweet time and you can't skip it (Except for that one guy in original Gold/Silver that asked you if you wanted him to show you, bless his digital soul). I remember way back when I first saw it, really the only time I would've ever needed it, I thought "... Okay, I think I got this... hurry up".

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Several of the Tower Of Souls missions in Soul Calibur 4, especially the Finisher challenges... it's extremely easy to win those without getting the challenge completed because the enemies never block - they just sit there and take damage, occasionally guard breaking instead (which is useless for the challenge) - so it's absurdly easy to win the level but not accomplish the challenge, meaning you have to do it all over again. And again. And again.

Pretty much any mission that requires you to rely on the opponent to act in a certain way completely outside your control is going to completely aggravating, really.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong 64- I hate having to do the challenges at the very beginning of the game where you have to collect the DK Coins in 5 separate barrel challenges. I don't remember them all but I think one you had to swing from vines and on another throw orange grenades at something. After you finished the Narrator said "Well Done!"

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Am I the only person who found that bit easy in like, the world? :laugh:.

Seriously though, the bit where you had to shoot the crossbow into each of those statues or something was so much more annoying. And fire arrows= bye bye Wood Golems.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Any game - Not being able to skip cutscenes/movies.
Especially when you die and have to re-watch the entire cutscene -_-

Prologues in general in any game. I know they help explain the story, setting, and controls, but some prologues drag on (Paper Mario, Pokemon, Twilight Princess)

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Especially when you die and have to re-watch the entire cutscene -_-

Prologues in general in any game. I know they help explain the story, setting, and controls, but some prologues drag on (Paper Mario, Pokemon, Twilight Princess)
FFX.....Seymore Flux.....yeah....

I realize I spelled his name wrong.....

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
FF6 final dungeon i found that so annoying having to do three different dungeon in a sense
What? No way, Kefka's Tower is completely amazing. Everything in the story has been leading up to this moment; how can you not like it? Plus, it's not that long either.

liljp112

Smash Cadet
What? No way, Kefka's Tower is completely amazing. Everything in the story has been leading up to this moment; how can you not like it? Plus, it's not that long either.
I never said i didn't like it i just found it annoying working three different parties. It is amazing i just did really bad working three parties when i was younger

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
This topic is awesome and so I'm going to bump it (constructively, of course).

Any Hitman Game: That moment where a guy figures out you're a fraud for no legitimate reason other than his magical IDENTITY SCANNING RETINAS. Bogus, man. Bogus.

I also didn't care for the fact that some levels require you to already know what to do (which is generally very esoteric) and start doing it literally the moment the level starts, all the way to the eventual mission complete, never hesitating. That goes beyond trial and error. That's just bad design.

What I mean is how some paths are only open to you for the first [insert timeframe], and after that you can't do it ever, even if you realize it's the best path.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: Heavily flawed game, but generally pretty playable, and c'mon, it's Indy. You know what's bogus though? Underwater combat. Oh I can wreck up a pirhana pretty good, but the sharks? Come on man, they get stuck to you, they don't have an attack animation, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? The only option is to repeatedly jump into the water to lure sharks, climb back onto the shore, shoot the ensuing sharkfest and tediously repeat until they're dead. Needless to say I have shelved this game for now.

Dead Frontier: A pretty cool (free!!!) zombie survivalist MMO for PC. I like scavenging. I like killing zombies. I do not, however, like that the new 3D engine has no indoor areas whatsoever, and something I hated on both engines was the moment you decide you're done. You want to go back to base and level up (can only be done in a safe area), and my god is the trek back ever tedious. Every time.

finalark

SNORLAX
I am Finalark, and I approve of this bump.

Half-Life 1 and 2, two otherwise fantastic games that sometimes have some level design choices I don't agree with. Meaning the parts where you find yourself running around in circles trying to figure out where to go next for an hour when it turns out that you were supposed to climb into that vent way out of the way of anything that you didn't even notice.

Yeah, parts like that can make Half-Life un-fun.

Life

Smash Hero
Am I really the only person that liked Water Temple? Srs. Between that and liking Brawl I apparently have no taste in games :p

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Metroid: Other M - Anything involving those forced pixel hunts where you have to look at a specific area of the screen to advance the plot. Made especially annoying by lacking any sort of indication as to what you were looking for, with one exception in sector two. Easily the most horrendous and stupid game design decision I have ever had the misfortune of sitting through.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Am I really the only person that liked Water Temple? Srs. Between that and liking Brawl I apparently have no taste in games :p
You're not alone. I loved the Water Temple as an 8 year old playing OoT for the first time and found no trouble with it. My theory is that the majority of Water Temple hate stems from internet bandwagoning.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
There are multiple parts in Resident Evil 4 in particular. Like the part where you go around the statue and have to pull the levers. Going up the tower soon after that. The maze underground etc etc.

But the part that made me stop playing the game the first time I played was once I hit the second disc on the GC. The military island. I loved the village and the atmosphere, but going to the castle and the island ruins it.

Fun game though.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
You're not alone. I loved the Water Temple as an 8 year old playing OoT for the first time and found no trouble with it. My theory is that the majority of Water Temple hate stems from internet bandwagoning.
It's, for me at least, more the fact that EVERY TIME I've played the Water Temple I somehow miss that one key in the center building under the floating block. Annoying as hell. I'd have to say that the Water Temple didn't really ruin OoT for me, there are plenty of other games that have way more annoying things about them.
1. Oblivion's scattered main story line. That is the one thing that turns me off from Oblivion
2. Chapter 4 of Mother 3, that has the worst boss fight in the history of ever in terms of jump in difficulty.
3. GTA IV see number one.
4.Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. Kinda different from the others but the hype/prestige they got had me so insanely excited for two very, very dissapointing games. Mass Effect 2 is nearly perfect though, GOTY 2010

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong 64- Donkey Kong arcade. i could never beat it when i was young and never finished the game until like 7 or 8 years later.

LoZ WW- triforce hunt. never finished the game until i did it with a friend.

anytime i had to grind in a rpg.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
The last ten levels of every prestige in CoD. So annoyingly long and boring when I want to prestige already
Not really too big on prestige, I only did it in MW right before MW2 come out, though I couldn't stand leveling up to 50-70 10-12 times, just way too much time I could spend playing other games.
I do admit that the Triforce hunt in WW is a REAL drag, really broke apart the game. I'm almost there on my second WW run through, joy :facepalm:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Pokemon [Fire] Red (and the others but that's the one I played): The bike path ugggghhhhhh. I'm not a big pokemon fan but when I played the game I felt obligated to fight and defeat every trainer for the free exp and junk. But the bike path has so many interweaving areas and the fact that backtracking takes an absurd amount of time due to the steep slope makes it ridiculously tedious. I actually stopped my run in favor of other things because I was so burned out by it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Mass Effect 1.

Mako.

Controls like butter, I don't even fight in it unless I have to, it's such a pain in the *** that I just drive past everything.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Mass Effect 1.

Mako.

Controls like butter, I don't even fight in it unless I have to, it's such a pain in the *** that I just drive past everything.
Agreed, though I wasn't a big fan of the first anyway. The Hammerhead in ME2 is pretty great though, really smooth controls and some pretty slick action sequences.

Top Bottom