• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Cost-Effective Way to Play Melee?

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
So I really want to get good at Melee and Project M, but I'm finding it hard to do so when none of my friends who live near me want to do so. There is a place in Oak Park called EXPGaming where they have weeklies and I've gone to those, but it takes a toll on my car and most importantly my wallet. It's a $5 venue fee every time, but that's not the only problem. The place is about 30 miles away from where I live, so a round trip is 60 miles every time. That's a lot of gas used and wear and tear on the car. It wouldn't be much of a problem if I had a job, but the thing is, I don't have a job, and I'm finding it very hard to get one.

So I'm wondering if anyone near Palatine IL would like to play on a regular basis. I've never heard of anyone who's very good at either Melee or PM who lives anywhere near where I live. I'll still be going to the weeklies at EXPGaming, but until I get a job it's going to be a pretty big blow to the little finances I have.

This doesn't even take into the account that my parents don't know I've been leaving to drive for 60 miles to and fro to play video games with people they've never met. If my parents found out what I was doing they'd definitely shut me down. They would see it as a huge waste of time and a huge waste of money. So, I'm going to keep lying to them until I can make something notable from my practice in these games. Even if I get a job and am able to pay for these visits with my own money, they most likely will still not want me to go to these events. I'm a little stuck on what to do. I really want to keep playing this game and get into the community more, but I'm just finding it hard to do so. Not only do I have money and parent issues, but school gets in the way too. I often find myself not doing as well in school because I'm thinking too much about Melee.

I'm a little bit of a mess right now and I would really like to know your guys' inputs on my situation.

EDIT: The title should really be "Most Cost-Effective Way to Practice Melee?" since I can play the game whenever I want for free, but practicing it is a whole other thing.

fusionnoble

Smash Cadet
Maybe playing online would be a viable option?

If I were you, I'd try hard to not let Melee negatively affect your schoolwork though. Thinking about Melee while not doing as well as you could in school might not be worth it

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
First off, check the facebook group first: https://www.facebook.com/groups/126804630735563/

I used to know some smashers in Palatine, but no longer. How far are you willing to drive? The Chicago area has arguably the best P:M players/community at the moment. (Kirk, the winner of BH3, is from Arlington Heights ... isn't that like 1 town over from you?)

(Send me a PM when you join the facebook group: i don't add people to the group who aren't friends with others in the community, in order to prevent spam bots and the like)

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Well I asked to join the group. I'm pretty much willing to drive as far as Oak Park. Any more than that and it has to be a really big deal for me to go there.

Also, you mentioned Kirk is from Arlington Heights which is really interesting. I'm wondering who he played to get so good if he's just from Arlington Heights.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well I asked to join the group. I'm pretty much willing to drive as far as Oak Park. Any more than that and it has to be a really big deal for me to go there.

Also, you mentioned Kirk is from Arlington Heights which is really interesting. I'm wondering who he played to get so good if he's just from Arlington Heights.

Well I dont know everything about the guy, but he was a developer of Brawl+ and Brawl- not to mention one of the best Ike players around in regular Brawl. As for good players in the area... there are quite a lot. I'd make a list, but I would just forget someone. Chicago has generally been the strongest smash area in the midwest.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
My suggestion would be to either search for fellow melee players at your school or try to convert a few friends to smash. It helps having a local group to play with to keep your fire alive and practice regularly without it feeling like a chore. Obviously playing with them won't help you improve as much as you would by going to tournies, but all of a sudden that massive commute doesn't seem so bad when you have friends along (that can also pitch for gas). As for the entry fees...still working on that one lol, only made my money back once when they ran an amateur bracket.

Top Bottom