• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Difficult Video Game Moments

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
3. Massive MT in Armored Core 2: Another Age
If you're real good at Armored Core, you probably know this is the most difficult encounter to beat that you can't gimp. That being said, it just takes patience and coordination. While I wouldn't say this is necessarily even that difficult if you're skilled at the game, I just wonder wtf developers were thinking when they designed this MT. It shot waves of ~40 vertical missiles, 4 constant chain guns, and an 8 salvo grenade launcher that could kill an AC with 9999 armor in one shot. Seriously, wtf.

2. Getting the Caladbolg in FFX (very close second)
Wow, I never thought I'd say this but I don't think I'll ever like chocobos again after attempting this. To get the ultimate weapon for Tidus, you were required to race a chocobo through a course and finish with a time of 0 seconds (collecting a balloon shaved 3 seconds off your time and hitting a bird added 3 seconds to your time). This basically meant getting practically every balloon and avoiding every single bird. Luckily, most people said it took a good dedicated 3 hours of trying before acquiring it. So I sat down, prepared for 3 hours of playing...sure enough at around 3 hours I was on a streak, grabbed almost every balloon and dodged every bird; final time: 0.1 seconds. I promptly ripped the control out and chucked it at the TV (first time I've genuinely gotten mad at a video game). 4 years later, my friend beat it for me and I got the stupid weapon.

1. Beating the last level in Super Return of the Jedi
This is seriously the most ridiculous level ever designed, a level required to beat the game. I wasn't very dexterous at the time but man, if you messed up just one tap of L or R you were ****ed and had to start over again even if you were like 5 minutes into the level. Escaping from the Death Star has never been harder.

Knightblade

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, Ninja gaiden is probably one of the most difficult games ever, if you like action games and challenges lol this is the game for you. I beat the original 2 for xbox and recently beat sigma on all modes and let me tell you, that game is not for the feint of heart.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
KI is pretty **** hard all around, but I can't think of a specific moment, and I'm sure there are harder games. Just throwing that out there.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno, but I personally thought that the last boss in Pikmin 2 was tough.

Then later my friend said his 10 year old brother beat it :(

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
Devil May Cry one, last Vergil fight on Dante must die mode, DMC3 entire Dante must die mode, and God Of War 1 last battle [especially the clone part] on god mode.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm not ashamed to say that Lilo and Stitch for the GBA was the hardest game I have ever played. Ahahaha, you're all laughing now, but wait until you play it. I couldn't beat the first level. I'm pretty sure it rivals those old school NES games in terms of difficulty.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Devil May Cry one, last Vergil fight on Dante must die mode, DMC3 entire Dante must die mode, and God Of War 1 last battle [especially the clone part] on god mode.
Lol I couldn't get past the nightmare cats in Dante Must Die mode for DMC. And yea, GoW last battle was quite a pain on God mode, but for some reason the clones wasn't too bad for me.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I dunno, but I personally thought that the last boss in Pikmin 2 was tough.

Then later my friend said his 10 year old brother beat it :(
No no no, it was hard. It took my quite a few tries to beat and the time that I actually did beat him took around half an hour. It's really, really difficult.

The two Giacomo battles on the Battleship Goldoba in Baten Kaitos were ridiculous. It took me days to finally get past that part. The worst part about them was that they were consecutive. Really stupid and pointless thing to do on the game dev's part.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
God of War 1 God Mode.

That room before pandoras Box is a pain in the ***. I gave up since I went in without any magic and the frigging Harpies have unblockable and near impossible to avoid [due to the fact that more than one Harpie does it at a time and you're getting shot at while avoiding being crushed]. God of War was boring after the number of times I've played it but now it's just a pain in the ***.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Ikari Warriors. It's fu***ng impossible. No matter how good I get at the game, I always screw everything up.

Rygar is quite difficult too. Some moves seem to be impossible to do. (like moving over the lines when you're in the "overview-stage")

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1) Actually beating E.T. for the Atari(just because the game sucks doesn't mean this fact isn't true)

2) Beating the Final Story in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Everybody dies at Rouge's Water Level around the end because of how difficult it is. I admit the first of the two boss fights can be difficult, but it's not THAT bad. Although the Dreamcast original is the same, I haven't played it, so I can't say anything about it.

3) Beating the first Level in Syd of Valis for the Sega Genesis. I've never seen anyone beat it without the Infinite Health code. Mind you, it's not the greatest game on earth, but I still stand by my statements of how hard the first boss is.(most of the rest of the game is rather easy, outside of the Final Boss)

4) Beating Virtual Training on Sonic Battle past Level 10. People have done it, but even with the best cards, the computers are way too cheap, and the one-hit-KOs make it nearly impossible to do so.

I can't think of any more, really. But as for "God of War 1 God Mode"...It's god Mode for pete's sake, of course it'll be nearly impossible. You'd have to be a god to beat it...yes, the pun was terrible.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
4) Beating Virtual Training on Sonic Battle past Level 10. People have done it, but even with the best cards, the computers are way too cheap, and the one-hit-KOs make it nearly impossible to do so.
I've beaten level 20 several times [the enemies only come with 15 lives for some reason, even after level 15], I have ultimate heal and I use combos. It's VERY easy to screw at past 10. I had to take off ultimate guard because it blocks 3 times which means healing a pain.

I also added the robots dash ability, it's the fastest and has more control than all of the others.

I had to trade off cards and restart to get some of the best abilities more easily. I stopped playing it though, I only pick it up once in a while.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Spider Man, X-Men Arcade's Revenge. Period.
If that's the one they brought to the Super Nintendo, than yes, that game in undeniably hard. For a laugh, me and my friends will turn it on to see if any of us can get past a level.

The Lion King for the Sega Genesis was also impossible. That second level (the "I Just Can't Wait to be King" on) must have been made by Satan just to taunt me

Darkurai

Smash Master
Metroid Prime.
Getting the Power Bomb on Hard Mode.
To this day it's the only thing I can remember that I haven't completed.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Solving the last puzzle in the SNES classic, Goof Troop. That still baffles me today. No-one I talk to seems to know what Goof Troop is, but it has one of the hardest puzzles. Maybe I thought it was hard because I was seven when I last attempted it.

The Duck

Smash Champion
I’ve had many moments where games have frustrated me, and although the encounters with rage happen far less frequently nowadays, I still remember some really annoying moments from some of the games I’ve played.

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
A fun game once you get the hang of it, but some of those mini-games and harder tournaments can really get a person mad. What really ground my gears was the dreaded One On, One Putt Challenge with all eighteen holes. You have to get the ball on the green and nowhere else, and then sink it in the hole in one more shot, with all eighteen of them, or you lose. It’s not that bad at first, but going so far only to fail over and over was a huge bother. Eventually, I beat this mode as Waluigi last July, and boy was I happy.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
While the first one only has a part near the end that started to tick me off, this game had several frustrating fights, or at least they were if you tried to attack the bosses without locking onto them. That being said, locking on or not, one certain boss in the game’s second act was one frustrating challenge to kill. And don’t even get me started on this boss with Hard Mode. The fact that the boss before this one (if you could call it a boss… I'm not talking about the first major boss but an optional one right after it) could be killed so easily shows how much this game can throw curveballs at you.

Mario Power Tennis
Some of the mini-games really ticked me off…but that’s about it.

Super Mario Sunshine
Those cursed secret stages…when you get the knack of beating them, they’re not such a problem, but what they do to you as you start out with them pretty much haunts you, or at least it did me.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
It’s not so hard, but try beating the one-player games on Very Hard without getting KO’d. Not so easy, huh? Especially with Adventure Mode and Giga Bowser. I’ve not yet KO’d him on Very Hard without losing a life, but I have KO’d both Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Good times accomplishing that.

WWF/E Games
I’ve played both Wrestlemania 2000 and Day of Destiny, and though the story mode is playable in both games, some of those fights are a PAIN to win, to the point that it seems like the game is out to make you lose.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (disk errors at least)
NOT a hard game…but playing through the mini-games with my GCN having disk errors galore really, really ticked me off, especially since I didn’t have the higher upgrades to get through them easier. Of course, disk errors nearly ensure frustration.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
An, all things considered, at least DECENT platformer/’driver’, this game features levels where you must first race through the course, then try out different levels of challenges to clear things faster and faster. This one dreaded level made a certain Sunday of November 2005 a living nightmare. Its hardest challenge requires you to barrel down a string of giant sea monster innards and cliffs as fast as you can go. You’ve got to use EVERY trick in the book at the PRECISE time to barely shell out a win. Man was that insane.\

So those are some instances from me…but as far as games that I have not played, some of them look really, REALLY cheap and unfair. Take a gander at these reviews (which contain strong language, mind you) and be amazed. They’re also funny reviews…

Silver Surfer (NES)
Beetlejuice (NES)

They’re just two games in a long list of ones that look VERY annoying, but they stand out most to me. Especially the first one! Wow...

Wuss

Smash Champion
some of the large areas with just an *** load of people are so hard in Resident Evil 4. But not that hard, I actually never beat MP2: Echoes, cause of the final ingworm boss, was so hard, and just got frustrated and quit...

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Advance wars one in hard mode (GBA). The fog of war level when you go against kanbei, and you have to capture more properties than him. It took me one month to beat that level... even the last boss only took me about a day to finish... What were the developers thinking.

Oh and Rocket Knight Adventures (Genisis) on hard mode was dumb. Every monster killed you in one hit when you had eight hearts, and if you die once its a game over lol. Other than that, the game wasn't that difficult.

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
one thing that got me extremely frustrated was when i first got to lance in the elite four in pokemon red, and i beat him, with barely any of my pokemon alive, then unexpectedly you have a battle after lance against blue, who has generally high level pokemon and has the weakness of your starting pokemon

needless to say i lost and had to do the whole thing over again

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Cave Story Hell mode was pretty difficult at first, but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it

Melee's All Star Mode on Very Hard mode was HELL. Took me so many freaking retries to beat that.

Hardest thing ever was probably playing pros at smash tournaments. ;D

Puffs

Smash Ace
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on Hard Mode, the Emperor Ing battle. That final phase is just so freakin' huge. Avoiding damage is nearly impossible.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Impossible Mission for the Atari 7800. A glitch in the game made it literally impossible, but I can't remember the full details.

Top Bottom