• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most "disrespected" character?

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Mario and Dr. Mario have more differences between them compared to Pit and Dark Pit. Some of Dr. Mario's attacks knock the opponent back in different angles, he is more powerful, and he is slower than Mario in Smash 4. Dark Pit has very few attacks that differ from Pit's attacks in comparison.
again, my point of comparison isn't Smash 4 when I refer to Doc and Mario, it's from Melee, and only Melee. by this point, Mario's become different enough for Doc to be a semi-clone in Smash 4.

at one point, Mario and Doc were seen as not too different, and that choosing one or the other boiled down to preference. as the community grew more technical, the difference got scrutinized much closer and Mario turned out to be the inferior fighter...

Dark pit, the way I see it, doesn't have that luxury... everyone's scrutinizing him and Pit like they did with Doc and Mario. Dark Pit's attacks deal slightly more damage, but his tilts have a little less knockback, his Arrows also do a little more damage, but they can barely turn compared to Pit, Electroshock Arm launches foward, while Upperdash Arm goes straight up.

case in point, much like :drmario: is a tweaked up :mariomelee:, :4darkpit:'s the same way to :4pit: in principle. I just find it massively unfair that people are so judgemental so early on...

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
again, my point of comparison isn't Smash 4 when I refer to Doc and Mario, it's from Melee, and only Melee. by this point, Mario's become different enough for Doc to be a semi-clone in Smash 4.

at one point, Mario and Doc were seen as not too different, and that choosing one or the other boiled down to preference. as the community grew more technical, the difference got scrutinized much closer and Mario turned out to be the inferior fighter...

Dark pit, the way I see it, doesn't have that luxury... everyone's scrutinizing him and Pit like they did with Doc and Mario. Dark Pit's attacks deal slightly more damage, but his tilts have a little less knockback, his Arrows also do a little more damage, but they can barely turn compared to Pit, Electroshock Arm launches foward, while Upperdash Arm goes straight up.

case in point, much like :drmario: is a tweaked up :mariomelee:, :4darkpit:'s the same way to :4pit: in principle. I just find it massively unfair that people are so judgemental so early on...
I mentioned Smash 4 because I said that Dr. Mario was slower than Mario in that game. In Melee, he had a higher air speed. That, along with a few other things including the knockback angles of his attacks, is why Dr. Mario was viewed to be the superior character in Melee.

Most of Dark Pit's attacks actually deal the same amount of damage and knockback as Pit's attacks. The exceptions are the Silver Bow, Electroshock Arm, and the Striking Flight custom special move. Dark Pit's side tilt actually deals less knockback for some reason, making it clearly inferior. There are fewer differences between the two characters compared to Mario and Dr. Mario in Melee.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Samus.
Everyone seems to think that all Samus players are just FG noobs.

This basically sums up what I've seen from the smash community, mainly from Facebook:
:4charizard: = why are you maining such a bad character?
:4darkpit: = lol I bet u listen to linkin park when you play ow the edge
:4diddy: = ugh tier ***** you just spam down throw and up air
:4drmario: = bad version of Mario, you only play him because of Melee nostalgia, go play Mario scrub
:4falco:= bad version of Fox, you only play him because he's not Fox, go play Fox scrub
:4fox: = wow melee much??
:4littlemac: = noob character
:4wiremac: = noob character more wired to noobs
:4link: = lol you would lose without camping
:4lucario: = furry insults and stuff about relying on aura to win
:4lucina: = noob marth, you only play her cause you can't get tippers, you suck at the game
:4megaman: = wow why are you playing the worst character in the game????
:4marth: = wow melee much? also he sucks here so you're probably bad at the game
:4metaknight: = you only play him because you can't adapt from ez mode in brawl
:4mii::4miif::4miibrawl: :4miigun::4miisword:= go main a real character, btw let's exclude these entire three characters from as much tournament play as we can because we suck and can't adapt to them
:4ness: = wow I bet you only do pk fire, down throw, forward air, and then kill with back throw
:4olimar::4alph: = whoa someone plays them?
:4pikachu: = I don't want to play against you ever again because I can't adapt to a fast and powerful character, ugh this game makes me angry
:rosalina: = ugh tier ***** you only main her cause she's unbeatable, I'm gonna spend 10 minutes crying over the matchup rather than spending 10 minutes watching the matchup or nakat's guide on it
:4sheik: = ugh tier *****, at least you don't play Diddy, right??
:4sonic: = you only know four moves and I'm tired of not trying to adapt to beat them with shielding/jabs/grabs ugh
:4tlink: = wow camp much???
:4duckhunt: = ugh all you do is camp and you don't even care about the character
:4yoshi: = ugh everything you do is safe even though it isn't because I suck
:4zss: = ugh you only play her because you're a horny tier *****

Honestly, it's pathetic to treat people who main certain characters like this. I don't like the idea of judging someone for who they main. I like Project M and Smash 4 because there's so many characters to main, and it really makes players unique, but being afraid to pick half the cast because of how people treat them doesn't help.
Unless they play :4bowserjr: for :4roy: to try and rub it into fans of FE Roy. **** those people. That's why I'm afraid to play Bowser Jr. players, because they could easily switch to that model at any point to mock me. But not all Bowser Jr. players are guilty of it, so I only dislike that portion.

Overall, I like the variety of this game's cast. Unfortunately, it gives so much more for players to villianize, which we need to keep in check.

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
It's Miis. Hands down. Doc gets a lot of unjustified hate, Mac is viewed as noobish, Falco gets you funny looks because he is worse than he used to be...
But people don't even think about the concept of someone maining a Mii.

"Who do you main?"
"Mac"
"lol noob"

"Who do you main?"
"Mii Brawler"
"Oh yeah, forgot he existed. Wait, seriously? You main Mii Brawler? Wtf."
this so much. a character so disrespected that they are usually banned in tournaments or removed from their unique ability to play differently due to custom moves. people say they're low tier, but that's because all the good mii players use different movesets from 1111. their playstyle changes so drastically depending on the setup.
:4diddy: = ugh tier ***** you just spam HOO HAH!
fix'd

pershona

Smash Journeyman
From my experience it seems to be :4wario2:. He is still good but i guess people just stopped talking/using him once the vectoring glitch was gone.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
:4metaknight:- I don't think anyone has bothered with him after seeing how much he got hit after Brawl, most people stopped caring about him.

:4wiifit:- Most people view her immediately as the joke character, but she actually has lots of options, spikes, and a good projectile game. I always get talked down to for playing her.

:4myfriends:- People don't try using him due to his inherit issues in speed, but he's actually not bad. He's a good character when it comes to hard reads, which most people seem to prefer faster paced characters in this game. I can't use him, but I've gotten beat by a lot of Ikes, simply because I get caught off guard.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
As far as MK goes, people are just burned out. They've seen enough of him, basically. In a month or two, once all the newcomer hype has settled for good and we have full rulesets for the game etc. people will go back to experimenting with oldies.
People don't use Ike because using him makes you feel inadequate. At this point, the only people worthy are san. and Ryo. (In all seriousness, I play him a bit myself and he is kinda bad. His attacks take forever to come out and go away, and people prefer fast play. You need to be very patient with him, because if you commit at a bad time, you lose).

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
:4metaknight:: Without question, the most downgraded character from SSBB. Still good, but nowhere as amazing. I almost never see this character on Wi-Fi. It seems like the only players that still use him are the ones that truly appreciated his character.

:4pit:: Maybe "disrespected" is not the most appropriate word to describe his situation; more like "overshadowed" probably? Despite his edgier counterpart's mostly poor reception from the public, from what I notice, I am seeing much more of him on Wi-Fi than Pit himself. The irony. However, I was very impressed with the character as just about every Pit player I have encountered online were fairly competent with the character. Not so much with Dark Pit, though; quite the opposite, really.

:4myfriends:: It is rather strange, similar to Pit's situation. Despite several of his attributes considerably buffed from the latest update, Ikes on Wi-Fi are a rarity, surprisingly even more so than characters like Olimar and Mr. Game & Watch, who were, to my knowledge, shunned by the community for their respective nerfs. Ike is probably still plagued by the stigma and popular opinion pre-1.0.4. that he was bottom tier material.

^-^

Last edited:
I think Ike is truly an upper-mid, or the borderline between high and upper-mid. Pre-patch? Mid like Brawl. Passive buffs on top of unbelievably good direct buffs make Ike feel much better. He doesn't feel like just a hard read character now, he has much better stuff in his once weak neutral, Smash 4 mechanics make his recovery much better on top of QD being able to act after hitting, he's good without successful hard reads, and when you do get those hard reads... oh man.

I managed to trade with a Fox doing side b to hit me with an fsmash just now. Killed the Fox at 30 something (I believe) without rage and I only took 3 damage. It's so satisfying because Fox is one of my worst matchups as a player. Or when I string somebody to 80-90 while I'm at 0 or even get a stock without damage because of how good Ike is with hard reads.

I've been using Ike in tournaments with a secondary Falco and I often take 1st online and took 3rd, 2nd, and 1st as my only offline placings. I think my worst Ike placing was 4th online out of 23 people. Ike doesn't feel very limited when unlocked, it feels like the barrier between simply playing Ike, and developing a mastery of his toolkit, is a bigger difference than other characters. I don't truly feel disadvantaged in the neutral unless fighting Sheik, a matchup which I still usually win and switch to Falco to deal with her, though I've seen and felt disgusting stuff from the matchup. It's certainly not as bad as Brawl Ike vs. Brawl MK, which is no longer a bad matchup.

But yeah, I don't use Ike and Falco to be a tier hero. I think they contrast well with each other's matchups and I've felt since launch that they both have what it takes in competitive play, they fit me like a glove and they don't feel less than upper-mid or mid at lowest by any stretch.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
From my experience it seems to be :4wario2:. He is still good but i guess people just stopped talking/using him once the vectoring glitch was gone.
It's even telling that he doesn't get mentioned much in this very thread despite being an obvious answer lol.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I Feel like :4alph: needs more love, all I see are these damn :4olimar:. My boy Alph needs more love.

Also :4wiifitm:

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
:4jigglypuff:= lel people kept saying/hoping that Puff won't be making it in smash 4 before the game wasn't even out yet.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I never really see :4metaknight:.

I recently picked him up though because I love Meta Knight but hated he was to op in Brawl. Feeling really good with him already, plus nobody has experience against him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never really see :4metaknight:.

I recently picked him up though because I love Meta Knight but hated he was to op in Brawl. Feeling really good with him already, plus nobody has experience against him.
Gee... I wonder why. :troll:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
It's tempting to say Gannondorf, but I think someone even using Ganondorf whether they win or lose automatically gets them some sort of respect most of the time. lol Maybe the fact the King of freaking Darkness and -the- villain of the Legend of Zelda series still doesn't have his own moveset could be a bit of disrespect on the devs' part. :p

I'd have to say the most disrespected is Samus by far though. I can't necessarily blame people, they did take away a lot of her previous tools and I just really wish Sakurai would have taken more cues from Project M on maybe slightly redesigning her in a way that's both fresh but familiar...and also closer to the games (seriously why can't she turn into morphball like a crawl, it's almost absurd this hasn't been implemented in the official games yet its so obvious. lol), but she's not exactly terrible either. Certainly not THE bottom. The only reason she's there on the Japanese list is obviously complete and utter lack of play.

Other than that it's a toss up between Little Mac, Charizard, and Falco. Falco maybe a little more noteworthy because there still seems to be hot debate over his viability ongoing.

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
When it comes to disrespect in a negative way I'd say sheik and little Mac for sure a lot of people abuse them for the wrong purpose.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
People tend to overlook Palutena and R.O.B., which makes me a sad kitty.

I wouldn't say they're necessarily disrespected, certainly not, but I so seldom encounter them that it's a cause for jubilant excitement when I do see one. They're not top tier material, sure, but they have solid toolkits and can be used to great effect if you're competent with them. I do appreciate people who aren't afraid to dip their toe in the deep water and experiment with more complex and technical characters.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
No one respects mfern Ganondorf anymore, til they get a taste of my Wizard's Foot
I just played a guy on FG who switched his character to Greninja, jumped off the stage and SDs on purpose so he only has one stock, then... proceeds to get 2-stocked by my Ganondorf because he's a scrublet with no respect.

Samus.
Everyone seems to think that all Samus players are just FG noobs.
To be fair, most are. Good Samus players catch me off guard.

Most FG Samus players don't even main Samus, they just feel like being annoying little ****s who spam projectiles and rolls all day. Yesterday, I was playing Ganon dittos with someone on FG, and he was... terrible. So bad that I 2-stocked him five games in a row, zero-to-deathed him twice. Eventually, he got tired of getting owned and switched to Samus, because Samus is the bane of terrible Ganondorfs, so they seem to think she's an unwinnable matchup or something (many Ganon mains actually think she has a weak matchup against Ganon because she has no answer to his superior close range game). Well, I 2-stocked him several times again, because he did what every FG noob does with Samus: charge up, roll away, spam missiles, go for grab if you get close enough, then roll to the other side of the stage. So, I did what any competent Ganon would do against a bad FG Spamus, I powershielded the missiles, jumped over the grabs, landed on his head with dairs, and ran after his rolls and Wizard Footed him when he got near the ledge. He started panicking and throwing out wild fsmashes and... Screw Attacks for some reason. Like, I'm across the stage and he'd use it, then try to land on top of me. What?

After a few minutes of this, I left him to give him time to process the lesson he'd just learned.

When it comes to disrespect in a negative way I'd say sheik and little Mac for sure a lot of people abuse them for the wrong purpose.
Lots of players seem to switch to Sheik against me if they feel like disrespecting me after a loss because hurrdurr top tier get rekt. Predictably, they can't play Sheik at all and they lose.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
:4drmario: - He's my main, and honnestly is probably the one who got the worst reputation. I mean "How could a slower Mario be stronger ?" right ?
You won't say this after eating pills and getting hit by tornados thanks to your spot dodges and rolls.
But seriously, Doc is one of the most disrespected characters in the game. That's sad, because people don't know how to fight him afterwards.

:4metaknight: - Since his fall from Brawl, Metaknight is pretty much considered as a horrible character. He's not. If you find a good Metaknight player, you'll see that the puff ball is still strong, especially at edgeguarding. He just got a lot of disrespect thanks to Brawl.

:4palutena: - Disrespected due to people only knowing her with the basic moveset. If you give her custom moves however, it's better. Palutena is a good character, it's just people who only base themselves on a wrong base.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From what I've noticed lately, Zelda is not as awful as people may claim her to be. If she can put pressure on someone like Rosalina, then that should give her more attention.

Yes, people may like to use the speedy and very aggressive fighters, but even the slower fighters shouldn't be underestimated.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
The Miis. By far.
Not being playable on For Glory (where probably most of the not super-competitive people play when they want to have an opponent who doesn't mess around) really hurts them, I feel. People even forget they exist sometimes, and from what I can tell, they're not allowed in tourneys.
There's probably a lot of wasted potential here.

That aside, I really dislike fighting both Links. It's a never-ending shover of arrows.
I sometimes inhale their arrows just to spite them. It ain't a good option, but it's more of a symbolic gesture, you get where I'm coming from?

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
I'm biased but in my books Smash "disrespectful" is killing with style and maximum bad manner so easily Ganondorf takes the cake for me.

Supersheikbros

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lewis-Cooper
:4bowser: Every 1 said he was the best in the game when it first came out, now he's just kinda faded away...
:4bowserjr:A hyped character but unfortunate ppl haven't seen his potential sigh*
:4charizard:Again a hyped character but so much lag and just ugh
:4darkpit:Another clone that isn't as good as the original

Supersheikbros

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lewis-Cooper
:4dedede:A surprisingly good but underused character
:4dk:Worst character in the game tbh
:4drmario:Normal mario is tons better IMO
:4falco:A good but underused character
:4gaw:Ppl haven't learnt him yet
:4myfriends:Slow af and bad up+b
:4kirby:Dunno y
:4megaman:Good but not used enough
:4metaknight:Brawl...
:4palutena:Overhyped
:4peach:Not learnt
:4samus:Just bad
:4wiifit:Meh
:4zelda:Not good at all
I'm not saying that there bad entirely I'm saying that they struggle against most of the cast

Supersheikbros

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lewis-Cooper
U
It's Miis. Hands down. Doc gets a lot of unjustified hate, Mac is viewed as noobish, Falco gets you funny looks because he is worse than he used to be...
But people don't even think about the concept of someone maining a Mii.

"Who do you main?"
"Mac"
"lol noob"

"Who do you main?"
"Mii Brawler"
"Oh yeah, forgot he existed. Wait, seriously? You main Mii Brawler? Wtf."[/quote ye bc u can't play miis on fg

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
:4greninja:: Seriously, am I the only one who plays as him in FG?
:4falco::4marth:: Yes, they were nerfed but they still clearly have potential. You just have to adapt to those changes
:4wiifit::4dk:: Again, the clearly have potential yet no one uses them

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
:4rob: people dislike this guy for strange reasons. Is it because the peripheral sucked? If so, come on guy that was back in the 80's, he just wants to be your buddy.
:4duckhunt: I never see any Duck Hunts in FG.... ever
:4wiifitm: theres no such thing as a male wft player
:4lucario: "ermagerd he replaced mew2 i hate him"
:4greninja: "ermagerd he replaced mew2 i hate him" (see a pattern here? yeah I know, its stupid.)
post mewtwo announcement "nah its all good now" yeah okay

Top Bottom