• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most tech skill?

LookingforAlaska

Smash Rookie
Hi all. I am a melee player who is opening himself up to the idea learning how to play Brawl. I want my learning experience to be at least a little bit challenging though, so I have a question for you Brawl players.

Which characters in this game require the most tech skill to play effectively? A list of everyone's top 5 characters in their opinion would be much appreciated. Thanks.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
ICs, Sheik, Falco, Snake, MK

A lot of people will debate me on the MK one, but he just has the ability to do so much more in less time than other characters that you can go really far on developing just his basics.

I'd recommend ICs or MK.

Hive

Smash Lord
ICs are a bit overrated imo, they have good potential complexity but its rare that I see any of it come out during a normal match. I've always considered Diddy and Olimar to be fairly technical from what I've seen and have a lot of tourney viability too. Peach and PT look technical too but are more limited.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ICs dont require much techskill at all, it's all just timing and done. Finger dexterity = techskill, if all you have to do is learn timings then that doesn't require finger dexterity at all. Same with Snake, he doesn't require much techskill either.

I would say MK, Diddy, Marth, ZSS, Peach... It's in tiered order though.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ICs, Sheik, Peach in that order.

I'll add in Sonic and Fox as sleepers.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ICs definitely have the most tech skill potential. But they do fine with just Uair and CGs.
POTENTIAL. And how do you know they have such POTENTIAL? POTENTIAL means it's not discovered or used yet. For all you know it that POTENTIAL doesn't exist. if it had anything to back it up, then maybe, you never know. But so far in the metagame, it's been 2 and a half years, and this supposed technical POTENTIAL is not there... It's all just timings, desynch blizzard, chaingrabs, the ice block lock, everything.

Disclaimer: I just capped the word as emphasis, not to seem like I'm angry or anything.

TP

Smash Master
Kewkky, the ICs easily take the most tech skill. I don't know how you don't see this. Potential doesn't mean undiscovered, it means no ICs have the tech skill required to use the ICs to their fullest.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How is ICs anything technical? Alternating button presses isn't technical at all.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yoshi is #1, period.

Peach is not that technical, it's more that she requires a lot of precision. Link is similar to Peach in terms of technical demand.

What makes ZSS technical? Buffered CGs/DAL? Those are the only things she has that require any tech skill at all save for the banana and ROB infinites.

ICs are very technical but it almost doesn't matter since you can just uair spam and CG on bad landings.

Really the only super-technical character in the game is Yoshi, with Lucas and ICs at a somewhat distant second or third. Yoshi makes melee look easy in some ways.

If you're looking to play a very technical style and abuse technical gameplay at the max level, it's basically like this:

Most technically demanding:
Yoshi/ICs/Lucas

Next level:
Peach/Link/Diddy Kong/Fox

Third level:
ZSS/Sheik/Falco

No one else really has much technical demand. Not even Fox really does except that SHTL is ****ing impossible.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I agree ^.
Yoshi has to be played different from every other character because of his shield.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Could you tell us what you mean by Tech Skill then?
In relation to Brawl: finger dexterity, hand-eye coordination, pretty much the ability to do what you want to make your character do. ICs don't require much techskill because their timing is not so hard to learn, and just like riding a bike, once you actually learn the timing for their cg's/infinites/desynchs, you don't forget them and only screw up when distracted. I believe that IC's trickss are easier to pull off than follow-ups for the techskill-demanding characters I listed.

I pressed Ctrl + F on this page and wrote the word Toon, and all I got was demonictoonlink.

I'm ashamed. :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
This is kind of a silly debate. He is good with his fingers, end of story.

Please pick up DDD and infinite some snakes for us.

D

Deleted member

diddy
ICs
pikachu
peach
MK

thats about it really.

for reference, the definition for tech skill is just doing exactly what you want to do. so if you want perfect spacing, timing, buffering, whatever, that's technical prowess. anything relating to the mechanical aspect of the game is technical. don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yoshi, in fact, does not. This is a common misconception from the early days of Brawl before we had proper frame data; I think Bigman released a video disproving this a couple months ago.
...I don't follow you. Yoshi has a shield, just a really bad one.

:069:

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I pressed Ctrl + F on this page and wrote the word Toon, and all I got was demonictoonlink.

I'm ashamed. :(
I was gonna put Toon Link just because of all the cool **** I can do with him, but I realized having a bunch of techs doesn't make the character particularly technical. In fact, the hardest things to do with Tink don't even matter.

He's at least not top five.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ganondorf has one of the longest lists of ATs on the forum. He is easily the most technical character. In theory, if you master every single AT, you should be able to even consistently beat the Ice Climbers.

Just remember, if you do so, that Ganondorf has only one even debatably good matchup, against Bowser. You will have to learn how to abuse jankiness, even on stages that don't have anything to abuse. Ganondorf needs the greatest amount of tech skill because the only way to win matches is with ATs and playing safely and smartly.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ganondorf has one of the longest lists of ATs on the forum. He is easily the most technical character. In theory, if you master every single AT, you should be able to even consistently beat the Ice Climbers.

Just remember, if you do so, that Ganondorf has only one even debatably good matchup, against Bowser. You will have to learn how to abuse jankiness, even on stages that don't have anything to abuse. Ganondorf needs the greatest amount of tech skill because the only way to win matches is with ATs and playing safely and smartly.
Tell us more about those ATs.

Also, why Bowser? Bowser doesn't suck and is lightyears ahead of Ganon in Brawl.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Item handling isn't character specific, so no.
Is there a character that can do all the things that Diddy can do with his bananas? More than half of the characters don't even have a decent Glide toss (in every direction).

Hive

Smash Lord
I'm surprised there isn't more PT/Squirtle (fatigue- affecting various stats, multiple characters, ats, grab releases, elemental effects, di etc..). And less mk. Oh well :p

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Almost everyone can SNL/PSNL.
Most of the chars that don't have a good glide toss have a good JC toss or a good mobility.

Top Bottom