• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Technical Characters

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Who are the the most technical characters?
For Clarification - this has nothing to do with how strong or high tier they are.

For starters, I would consider snake a technical character because of how unconventional some of his smash attacks and specials are, and the potential strategy that can develop.

I've heard ZSS is extremely techincal, but I don't know why.
Other considerations are olimar because he is so different, and perhaps Zelda because of how much practice it takes to make her up+b into a reliable recovery.

EDIT: I suppose there are really two aspects here..
1) How much technical ability is required to preform well with a character
2) How steep the learning curve is for picking up that character

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Snake is the most technical. You could get pretty technical with olimar i suppose. If you were to adjust the pikman you don't want by throwing them off the stage there could be many possibleities.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle's shellshifting adds a bit of technicalness. Sonic is also quite technical, he has many techs that are semi-difficult, and has a steep learning curve.

Doval

Smash Lord
Snake is the most technical.
I beg to differ. None of Snake's techniques are particularly difficult to do. The most technically-demanding maneuver he can do is Smash Boosting (aka dash attack canceled into Up Smash) but even then, he's the easiest character to do it with. Snake is very straightforward in his attacks - his dash attack is easy to use and pretty safe when canceled into up smash, and his f-tilts have ludicrous range and are spammable.

Snake is a character that can make good use of creativity and wit when it comes to setting up your opponent with grenades, mines, and C-4, but that shouldn't be confused with technical ability.

ZSS could be considered slightly technical because she has D-smash chains on certain characters, and she can use B-reversal to get different approaches and spacings with her Neutral B (Paralyzer shot) and Forward B (Plasma Whip.) Unless you're doing the B-reversals manually (as opposed to B-sticking,) though, she's not terribly technical to use. Then again, the same could be said about practically every Brawl character.

The only Brawl maneuver I've seen that truly requires technical ability is Smash Boosting with characters that aren't Snake and Falco. But even then, it's a bit of an "eh" technique in the sense that it's hard to pull off and doesn't do all that much except an occasional surprise attack.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
It's possible that Snake is the most technical brawl character, but even he is not that technical. The only semi-hard thing I can think of with Snake is his mortar slide, but even that is far far easier than SHFFL-ing or wavedashing was in melee.

:\

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Falco or iceclimbers due to mastering chaingrabs. Falco has a good bit of technical skill in his general gameplay, his short hop double lasers take coordination to perform, in addition to mastering his spikes.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I consider Ness pretty technical.

PK Thunder is a very dynamic move. Ever tried using it to make Ness fly practically any direction you want? It takes a lot of skill. I've just recently discovered how to make him fly straight horizontally with it, and jumping above my opponent and PK Thundering straight down on top of him has proved useful as well. There's a lot of weird winding techniques to get them to work correctly though.

I consider Lucas slightly less so though, since his PK Thunder goes through things and he plays more of a range game than Ness does.

Sonic and Snake are up there as well. I honestly don't know that much about Zero Suit Samus, but I could see that. The space animals should probably be considered as well- they definitely aren't easy to just pick up and play.

Doval

Smash Lord
In retrospect, Ice Climbers are probably the most technical character in the game right now.

I don't know about Falco, but I wouldn't say the space animals in general are technical any more. The most complicated thing Fox has to do is d-air to shine/up-tilt/down smash/up smash, and that's a simple combo that can even be buffered. Short hopped lasers are nothing astounding. Wolf is also a very pick-up-and-play character.

Ness can be technical with his PK Thunder, but in general, he doesn't involve much technical ability during combat itself. You can't spam PK Thunder mid-fight except possibly when juggling an opponent with it, so the only other instance in which that particular skill is called upon is when recovering.

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
lucas? seeming as he's got truck loads of AT's, but not just quantity, but knowing when which should be ussed and when, and giving ureself the time to do so for some. IC climbers maybe? as they've still got the whole desyncing thing?

T-nuts

Smash Ace
although hes considered an "easy to learn character," i would say to be an advanced kirby you have to be pretty technical. i find it difficult to combo or space as well with lag online due to the precision it takes. wouldnt say hes the MOST technical by any means, but probably moreso than some people think.

Doval

Smash Lord
although hes considered an "easy to learn character," i would say to be an advanced kirby you have to be pretty technical. i find it difficult to combo or space as well with lag online due to the precision it takes.
Spacing isn't technical ability...spacing is a skill. They are similar, but not equivalent - for example, prediction is also a skill, but that has nothing to do with your technical ability. To give a clearer example...Ike is a character that makes heavy use of spacing. However, Ike requires practically 0 technical ability to play. He hardly combos, and he doesn't (or rather, can't) throw out a large amount of attacks over a given time period to intimidate an opponent or make himself harder to approach (unlike Meta Knight, which has much more spammable moves and can keep opponents at bay with them.)

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
As a lucas main, i disagree wholeheartedly about him being a technical character.

The only difficult technique he has to perform is his zap jump, and that's simply a matter of coordinating the c-stick and a jump (easiest to do if it's assigned to the l-button).

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
LINK

link is the most technical character

dropping bombs in the air to catching them with aerial attacks
or bouncing them off of shields to catch them while attacking

holding Z to perform a fsmash while keeping bomb

jump cancelled bombs

boost smashing, can control distance traveled by input

pivot sliding

bomb sliding forward, backward and upward

arrow cancelling

air dodge to Zair while holding bombs

tether recovery and tether aerial attack give him an extra move that many other characters don't have

your hands are always busy pressing a bunch of buttons. lots of little tricks.

Hax

Smash Champion
i'm a snake main.. and i can tell you snake is nowhere near as technical as lucas

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
LINK

link is the most technical character

dropping bombs in the air to catching them with aerial attacks
or bouncing them off of shields to catch them while attacking

holding Z to perform a fsmash while keeping bomb

jump cancelled bombs

boost smashing, can control distance traveled by input

pivot sliding

bomb sliding forward, backward and upward

arrow cancelling

air dodge to Zair while holding bombs

tether recovery and tether aerial attack give him an extra move that many other characters don't have

your hands are always busy pressing a bunch of buttons. lots of little tricks.
Not to mention Zair-edgehogging, Gale Gaurding and tons of other AT's.

Chene, aAndy, and me all have the right idea.

Link is the most technical, no doubt. =]

Browny

Smash Hater
Link wins this thread lol

in terms of advanced techniques that ACTUALLY work (hint , wing cancelling) that you need to win link easily has the most.

Sonic is probably second, timing of his high-priority attacks is difficult, stutter stepping and tech chasing from the dthrow is all possibe.

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
A character is only as technical as the player makes them.

Many players have the ability to adapt to all types of characters in this game, anyone can play Olimar and spam forward+B, but how many use Olimar from a technical standpoint, and order the Pikmin to enhance and execute mind games for a win. Not many.

It would be a cop out to say a character is technical due to how many character specific AT's they have, but it does add a certain level of difficulty.

Technical characters that come to mind are:

Lucas/Ness

Due to their unique recovery, projectile game(enhanced greatly with Auto-AT, B-Sticking), and energy absorption, the learning curve is increased and the pick and play ability is decreased.

Snake

Grenade cooking, mine dodging, C4 planting, all becoming a directly threat to the player and the players competition.

Ice Climbers

Chain Throwing and Desyncing is tough to master, they are truly amazing, but most people don't care to learn or are far to lazy to even try.

Olimar

A big maybe on this one, but as stated above if the player uses Pikmin as more then a projectile spam Olimar can create a small window for pure technique.

Peach

Due to her serious nerf's her turnip game has now been forced to become more technical, same with her ground game. A different Peach is required to learn and a more technical one.

Alot of characters are not so technical but have technical moves, such as sweetspotting and disjointed hitboxes. Other notable characters are ZSS, Toon Link/Link, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm not saying this because I main them, but I say Ice Climbers. With all desynch/chain grab possibilities and techniques (amongst other things), I think it's pretty clear that they are the most technical.

If not ICs, I was thinking maybe Peach because of float canceling/turnip possibilities.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
peach cause of all the turnip techs (glide tossing, wavepulling, turnip free pulls ect...) and floating

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What defines technicality? -of, pertaining to, or showing technique. technique is the ability to apply procedures or methods so as to effect a desired result. (the desired result being winning i suppose?) So... correct me if I'm wrong-it's a matter of variety? So it's a matter of who has the most ways to play mind games, approach, attack, recover, stall, camp, juggle, most combos, and most ways to kill. If you disagree with my interpretation of the word, you HAVE to be referring to the part saying " the ability to apply procedures or methods", in which case you're implying that the most "technical" character in brawl is best character in the game(which has the best ability to apply procedures or methods [to win]) If that's the case, this thread is pointless b/c Snake and MK are, no doubt, the most broken characters in brawl.

If you want to get technical,(which i'm assuming you do b/c of the topic... *hits own head with palm sarcastically*) I'd say olimar and lucas are the most technical characters.

~Olimar~

All the different ways to order the pikmen, fight with the different pikmen, and throw the pikmen leads me to him. He says it better:
Many players have the ability to adapt to all types of characters in this game, anyone can play Olimar and spam forward+B, but how many use Olimar from a technical standpoint, and order the Pikmin to enhance and execute mind games for a win. Not many.
~Lucas~

how many ways can you name for lucas to fight an opponent? Take for example his approach game. By approach, I mean getting close to an opponent in order to damage him/her,set-up for damage or particular advantageous situations. I can think of 9 effective ways to "approach" as lucas that actually work:

SHfair
SHfair over body
SHbair
SH,dodge(in front of opponent),dtilt(and/or jab)
SH,dodge(behind opponent),dtilt,(and/or jab)
pkf
pkt
full jump(fj)-dair
running grab

wanna know how many ways he has to recover?(besides very basic things like jumping,grab the edge, crud like that) only using pk thunder? nope.

Pkt
zap jumping
magnet pulling
wave zapping

I'm not even going to into all the different "non-existent" combos he has. no-one can DI perfectly. Many combos depend on the [realistic(yes even the best pro you can think of)]DI errors/mistakes(w/e you call it) of your opponent. Lucas has too many ways to take advantage of bad DI.

this is a thread listing of some of the techniques lucas users use:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153793

chubas

Smash Apprentice
i'm pretty sure melee is the most technical character
Meele is a pretty cool guy. eh can wuvedash and doesn't afraid of anything.

Nah, seriously. If you define 'technical' as 'that ATs makes him/her a good character wouldn't be without them', I think Peach and Lucas are a good example. I find Squirtle somewhat technical too.

Top Bottom