• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Im sure that the Observatory will probably appear at the very least in the background.

If it doesn't end up being part of Rosalina's Final smash if she's in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I love how Rosalina's chances are shooting up faster than almost any other character's.
First 3D World, now stage, what's next?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's a shame that there are people who still consider Rosalina to not be possible at all. And it's not just limited to here either, as I've ran into some anti-supporters at the Kitty Corp. forums, and the Mario Boards.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Rosalina has always had a better chance than Waluigi and Daisy honestly.
Her importance is far beyond those two, as she has appeared in 2 main series games and even has a back story. It's a nice touch, although it doesn't help much.
It's sad that some people (aka GameFAQS) consider Daisy to be likely and a good addition, while putting Rosalina down for stupid reasons.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's a shame that there are people who still consider Rosalina to not be possible at all. And it's not just limited to here either, as I've ran into some anti-supporters at the Kitty Corp. forums, and the Mario Boards.
I have to be honest, I didn't think Rosalina had a chance either. The stage reveal really start to develop a change in my perspective. I usually don't ever dismiss the notion of a character. I am a firm believer that everyone has a chance, I didn't give Rosalina the same respect that I give horrid character choices like Kawashima. This stage doesn't change anything, it just illuminated that I was erroneously discrediting her based on the premise that there are more suitable or ideal characters (Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr.).

I am a huge fan of Rosalina too. She was one of my mains in Mario Kart, I loved her character in Galaxy, and I always wondered what she would be like in Smash. She is just going up against some more iconic characters. However, the decision is up to Sakurai. For what it is worth, I think she has more personality or potential than either of the "Big 3". I think she is the best choice to be honest. However, I am altruistic, and I feel as though the majority would prefer the likes of Toad (he is the only important Mario character missing currently).

I think I am becoming a Rosalina supporter though. No doubt she would be better suited as an assist trophy, but then again, it that relevant?

Morbi

Scavenger
Important is a strong word.
Perhaps "iconic" or "playable" would have been more suitable. Regardless, he has made many appearances over the years. Rosalina could change that though, as you mentioned, she is more relevant or significant to the story. Something that I tend to advocate. I suppose Rosalina would be the only playable character missing if Toad was selected. So I am somewhat distraught.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rosalina

Rosalina is a tall yet heavy fighter (around Wario and Yoshi's weight). She has slow running speed, an average spot dodge, and a long yet fairly fast roll. Her jumps are high and floaty. Rosalina is primarily a defensive character with ways to handle projectiles and dish some back as well as setting up a dangerous trap. But she can take the initiative. Her Galaxy spin gives her a burst of momentum during the attack, many attacks pop the enemy upwards, and she excels at sending opponents up into the heavens with a strong throw, Up Smash and chargeable Up Aerial.

Special Attacks

B Galaxy Spin: Rosalina spins as a flash of small stars surrounds her (Mario's spin in Super Mario Galaxy).
On the ground, she can move a small distance left or right just after she executes the move. In the air, this move will pop her upwards a slight distance (only does this the first two times) and then allows her to shift left or right a small distance. Does low damage, but pops up the opponent. Can cancel out weak projectiles.

Toward B Star Bits: Fires a spray of one to seven starbits depending on how long the move is held. Can be aimed while in the midst of shooting. Each starbit does 2-3 percent damage. Can stun if more than one hit an opponent. Starbits are on the slower side for a projectile.

Up B Pull Star: Luma shoots a short distance in the direction selected (any angle above Rosalina) and turns into a Pull Star. The Pull Star does damage to enemies if hit. A light blue line connects Rosalina to the star. The player could rotate or guide Rosalina toward the star, with the star acting as a Pivot point. A press of A will have Rosalina swing her wand in a forward arc. A press of B will break the connection and send her into freefall.
If an opponent hits Rosalina she will only take a percentage of the knockback from the move and still can use the star to pull her back toward the stage if she remains connected. Rosalina can only use this move once in the air, even if the enemy hits her out of the star's range. Rosalina can attack afterwards if she is hit out of the move (but not if she prematurely ends it).

Down B Meteor Bombardment: Can only be used on the ground. A large star pattern will appear on the stage below Rosalina and then fade away. When Down B is pressed again, a meteor will descend from the vertical blast line and hit the spot for big KO potential.

Ground Attacks

Neutral A Black Hole: Rosalina holds Luma who spins and temporarily morphs into a spiraling black hole. Can pull in enemies and projectiles that are directly in line with it. Projectiles will be sucked into the black hole. Enemies will pop upwards. The A button can be held.

Dash A Galaxy Skating: Rosalina grabs the sides of her dress and skates forward leaving a glimmering stardust trail on the ground behind her. The trail fades, but could cause opponent's to trip. The skating Rosalina hits enemies behind her.

Toward A Comet Wand: A cross flick of her wand, the star end glows blue and leaves a comet streak behind it.

Up A Star-Writing: Flicks the wand above her head in an arc as the star end glows blue.
A press of A afterwards will have her quickly draw a constellation with her wand for multiple hits.

Down A Moonbeam: Rosalina crouches. On a press of A she taps her wand to the floor. A purple beam shoots upward (the peak comes to about Rosalina's standing height). Launches opponent.

Down Smash Majestic Rings: Rosalina forms Saturn-like rings around her which spin and do multiple hit damage like Toon Link's ground Up B sword spin.

Up Smash Sunrise: Rosalina holds her star wand above her head with illuminates like the sun. The longer this move is charged, the brighter the star will be. If it touches the enemy, the attack will launch the victim straight upwards for a big KO opportunity while shooting a vertical golden beam. The beam damages any other opponents caught in the blast.

Toward Smash Supernova: Rosalina jabs her wand forward as the tip glows purple. The longer the move is charged, the brighter the star will shine and the greater the knockback. If the move connects, there is an explosion and a purple shockwave that causes splash damage. KO potential.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral A Orbit: Luma glows and spins around her 360 degrees.

Back A Nebula's Reach: Rosalina arcs her wand behind her in a downward motion as purple clouds filled with tiny different colored stars plumes off her weapon. The middle of the attack range has a sweet-spot that hits the opponent straight down.

Down A Shooting Star: Luma shoots downwards a short distance and spins rapidly. Racks up damage.

Up A Static Storm: This move has the ability to be charged. Rosalina holds her wand upwards as electricity gathers. When Up A is released, there is a small circular pulse around the star end. Can be strong depending on charge.

Forward A Star Slap: Swings her wand at a downward diagonal as it glows blue. Average all around.

Throws

Grab Luma's Launch Star: Luma shoots out to grab the opponent. Luma immediately turns into a Launch Star around the enemy.

Mashing A will cause the launch star to spin faster causing damage and increasing the knockback of the future throw. The star could be rotated 360 degrees. A press of any other button other than A will cause the star to launch the victim.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
anyone else think Rosalina should have an energy shield that will neutralize any attack, but the end-lag after it would be horrendously bad?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
anyone else think Rosalina should have an energy shield that will neutralize any attack, but the end-lag after it would be horrendously bad?
I was more thinking of a barrier that reflects projectiles back at opponents, but that's way too identical to Fox's Reflector. Then again, Falco and Wolf did utilize their Reflectors too.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Despite that in my opinion yeah, it's unsatisfying that Mario still has Fludd but SMG spinning move isn't interesting for Smash at all, in hindsight it would make sense for him to keep Fludd if the spinning move was meant for Rosalina all along.

It's kind of like the Zelda deal where she has all of Link's powers from the goddesses and it's not weird at all because they'd "easily give them to her as well" or whatever, and the spinning move stems from one of Rosalina's Lumas anyways.

That being said, if Rosalina is going to be playable, I do not think 3D World will have anything to do with it. I will not be surprised at all if there is zero 3D World content in this game.
3D World and Smash4 aren't THAT far apart to begin with and a decision like a 5th unlockable character in a game like 3D World was probably not that high on the priority list of things to think about so chances are when Rosalina made it into 3D World, Sakurai was already too far along in development himself to take any influence from that. We've seen that a thousand times during the Brawl days.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
maybe the SM3DW ppl knew about rosalina in smash so that's why she's in and not someone else like wario or DK or even daisy.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
maybe the SM3DW ppl knew about rosalina in smash so that's why she's in and not someone else like wario or DK or even daisy.
Actually, according to the Iwata Asks on SM3DW, Rosalina was added by one person because he wanted another female character as the unlockable character, AND Rosalina was fairly popular after being in Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I... guess it's slightly more plausible than Geno? Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty sure that a stage appearance is the most Rosalina is going to get out of Kerfuffle and the possibility of playability is low. Especially with there being four Mario reps already- and others like Wario and DK representing their own franchises- I wouldn't say her odds are good.

Morbi

Scavenger
I... guess it's slightly more plausible than Geno? Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty sure that a stage appearance is the most Rosalina is going to get out of Kerfuffle and the possibility of playability is low. Especially with there being four Mario reps already- and others like Wario and DK representing their own franchises- I wouldn't say her odds are good.
Slightly more plausible? Geno isn't even plausible... so what does that mean? That she is slightly plausible?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
besides, there was 5 mario reps already in melee. why can't we go back to melee, since ppl seem to worship it so much

Morbi

Scavenger
Because the clones weren't exactly Melee's high point, Bowser was originally going to be in 64 IIRC, and nobody really asked for Doctor Mario in the first place.
So... we have to ask for a character to get a character? I was under the assumption that Sakurai just takes our suggestions into consideration in an attempt to quantify who is wanted more. Once we had Dr. Mario, he certainly got requests to be in Brawl. He still gets some requests for Smash 4 too. Clones were Melee's high point in my opinion. No one likes them, but they served there purpose adequately. The notion is irrelevant anyhow, the premise that we had 5 Mario reps at one point only serves to indicate that Sakurai is open to it (or that it isn't arbitrarily capped).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be fair Petey Piranha is slightly more plausable than Geno. Baby Daisy is slightly more plausable than Geno. Goombella is slightly more plausable than Geno. Prince Peasley is slightly more plausable than Geno. Ludwig Van Koopa is slightly more plausable than Geno.
Every single Mario character that is purely Nintendo owned is more plausable than Geno.

Rosalina is a lot more plausable than all of these and is more plausable than Daisy, although I'm not sure how she ranks with Waluigi, Paper Mario, Toad or Bowser Jr.

smashbot226

Smash Master
So... we have to ask for a character to get a character? I was under the assumption that Sakurai just takes our suggestions into consideration in an attempt to quantify who is wanted more. Once we had Dr. Mario, he certainly got requests to be in Brawl. He still gets some requests for Smash 4 too. Clones were Melee's high point in my opinion. No one likes them, but they served there purpose adequately. The notion is irrelevant anyhow, the premise that we had 5 Mario reps at one point only serves to indicate that Sakurai is open to it (or that it isn't arbitrarily capped).

1. Thank you for putting words in my mouth. Yes, Sakurai occasionally takes fan input into the game's roster if Brawl's unofficial poll is anything to go by (For the uninitiated, the Top 5 were D3, Diddy Kong, Geno, Ike, and Ridley). That being said, I'm still pretty sure that if he underwent the same process for Melee, there wouldn't be nearly as many people clamoring for somebody like Doctor Mario or Young Link.

2. So he gets requests. As do... Hawlucha? And Klefki? Not a strong point there, it's like saying the sky is blue and believing it proves something aside from the blatantly obvious.

3. Yes. Clones were the high point. Not the massive jump in content from SSB64, the expanded roster, or the competitive explosion that came from it. Clones.

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair Petey Piranha is slightly more plausable than Geno. Baby Daisy is slightly more plausable than Geno. Goombella is slightly more plausable than Geno. Prince Peasley is slightly more plausable than Geno. Ludwig Van Koopa is slightly more plausable than Geno.
Every single Mario character that is purely Nintendo owned is more plausable than Geno.

Rosalina is a lot more plausable than all of these and is more plausable than Daisy, although I'm not sure how she ranks with Waluigi, Paper Mario, Toad or Bowser Jr.
Yes, that is when we are going to start hearing the subjective value arguments. I would honestly assert that Rosalina is more plausible than ANY OTHER Mario character (aside from the Big 4). It isn't too difficult to discern that notion. Obviously values start to dictate the discussion. Some people value the most unique character (Paper Mario), some value completion (Waluigi), some value icons (Toad) and some value villains (Bowser Jr.). Each character is important in a different way. This is the fun part, Sakurai gets to decide.

Edit- @Smashbot

How on earth is asking a question "putting words in your mouth"?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Funny enough, she actually has that sort of thing.

I know in Galaxy if you attempt to jump on her, the shield will appear and bounce them back. She also uses it if you try to drop off of the Observatory.
Perhaps the latter part would be her Grab & Thorw moves.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because you assumed from my statement that the only way we can get a character is if we ask for one.
That isn't the same thing. Not at all, I didn't understand your point, so I was essentially asking for elaboration. "Putting words in your mouth" would allude to me actually proclaiming that you meant something other than what you said. Your post was so small and generic that I couldn't help but make an assumption (which is why I asked instead of stated).

2. The request thing was based on your statement that nobody asked for Dr. Mario. I highly doubt he was considered by most people. Once everyone found out that he was a possibility, he got requested. Something quite similar is happening with Rosalina at this point. So your premise that no one asked for him is entirely irrelevant.

3. That is obviously a subjective notion. Clones were the high point for me, they expanded upon the roster, questioned balance, and introduced innovation. Some of my favorite characters were clones and the notion that we got some characters like Ganondorf only because they were clone worthy was staggering. I didn't think that I had to assert that it was my opinion... as I was the one who stated it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Funny enough, she actually has that sort of thing.

I know in Galaxy if you attempt to jump on her, the shield will appear and bounce them back. She also uses it if you try to drop off of the Observatory.
Perhaps the latter part would be her Grab & Thorw moves.
what? did you think I would base my speculation off of nothing?

you disgust me

:troll:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I support Rosalina but I dont think the Mario Galaxy stage reveal necessarily equates to her being in SSB4. People were saying the same thing for Delfino Plaza and Junior. It does help her chances just a tiny bit but a Galaxy stage was all but confirmed before.

smashbot226

Smash Master
That isn't the same thing. Not at all, I didn't understand your point, so I was essentially asking for elaboration. "Putting words in your mouth" would allude to me actually proclaiming that you meant something other than what you said. Your post was so small and generic that I couldn't help but make an assumption (which is why I asked instead of stated).

2. The request thing was based on your statement that nobody asked for Dr. Mario. I highly doubt he was considered by most people. Once everyone found out that he was a possibility, he got requested. Something quite similar is happening with Rosalina at this point. So your premise that no one asked for him is entirely irrelevant.

3. That is obviously a subjective notion. Clones were the high point for me, they expanded upon the roster, questioned balance, and introduced innovation. Some of my favorite characters were clones and the notion that we got some characters like Ganondorf only because they were clone worthy was staggering. I didn't think that I had to assert that it was my opinion... as I was the one who stated it.

1. I apologize it took a jump in conclusion for me to clarify what I meant by "nobody really asked for Doctor Mario in the first place."

2. Rosalina fans, like those of any given character, will usually chip and pick away at evidence for why she should show up in Kerfuffle. I mean, the front page has bloody Dr. Kawashima, Banjo Kazooie, and Nintendog threads. It's less a premise and more a claim that prior to his reveal, Doctor Mario wasn't precisely a requested character. And if he was, I doubt his supporters would've wanted him to have a cloned set.

3. Oh. Oh goodness. You're one of those fans. "Ah, but you see this is just my opinion, and opinions can never be wrong because they're subjective." I'll leave alone that people wanted characters like Ganon in because they expected a cloned set as opposed to them being, well, requested. But you're right: opinions are opinions. So I'll leave it alone and let you continue spamming the Like button.

On topic there's a few Rosalina movesets that have surfaced throughout the Make Your Move contests. Once I find them I can link them into whatever subsequent post might be best.

Morbi

Scavenger
1. I apologize it took a jump in conclusion for me to clarify what I meant by "nobody really asked for Doctor Mario in the first place."

2. Rosalina fans, like those of any given character, will usually chip and pick away at evidence for why she should show up in Kerfuffle. I mean, the front page has bloody Dr. Kawashima, Banjo Kazooie, and Nintendog threads. It's less a premise and more a claim that prior to his reveal, Doctor Mario wasn't precisely a requested character. And if he was, I doubt his supporters would've wanted him to have a cloned set.

3. Oh. Oh goodness. You're one of those fans. "Ah, but you see this is just my opinion, and opinions can never be wrong because they're subjective." I'll leave alone that people wanted characters like Ganon in because they expected a cloned set as opposed to them being, well, requested. But you're right: opinions are opinions. So I'll leave it alone and let you continue spamming the Like button.

On topic there's a few Rosalina movesets that have surfaced throughout the Make Your Move contests. Once I find them I can link them into whatever subsequent post might be best.
It is understandable, misconceptions tend to happen in colloquial environments such as this. However, I am not entirely sure what you mean by your last notion. Subjective concepts cannot be objective by definition, so I am somehow wrong because I happen to not share the same values? For instance, I do not think that the competitive scene is relevant, important, or a significant portion of Smash history. I don't think you understand the circumstances in which Ganon was included. If I am to use my empirical data that I have gathered from these boards, he was only added because of his easy to clone nature. Or something to that degree. In which case, I am glad he is in the game. The other high points that you mentioned (expanding the roster and jump in content) is not attenuated by clones, it was actually emphasized. So in a way, we share the same opinion. Don't worry, I will continue to "spam" the like button regardless of what you do.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I support Rosalina but I dont think the Mario Galaxy stage reveal necessarily equates to her being in SSB4. People were saying the same thing for Delfino Plaza and Junior. It does help her chances just a tiny bit but a Galaxy stage was all but confirmed before.
To be fair, Delfino Plaza technically wouldn't be Bowser Jr.'s home stage.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think it's not a coincidence that a galaxy stage being announced at around the same time as a Rosalina reveal on Super Mario 3D world.

unless something that I'm not aware of happened with jr. if so I would like to know.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think it's not a coincidence that a galaxy stage being announced at around the same time as a Rosalina reveal on Super Mario 3D world.
I think part of the reason for the Mario Galaxy stage reveal has to do with the fact that the first Super Mario Galaxy's anniversary is during the month of November.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think part of the reason for the Mario Galaxy stage reveal has to do with the fact that the first Super Mario Galaxy's anniversary is during the month of November.
oh.

BUT STILL.

my point kinda stands. (less then before, like somebody tried tripping it, but it never fell, just making it's stance unstable.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom