• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
By the way, no one pointed out that when the new 3DS comes out, using Luma will be so easier with the C-Stick (especially when Rosalina is in hitstun). I bet the tier lists will be shifted even more when we have a C-Stick.
Chances are though, that new Circle Pad likely won't be usable until an update is released.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Chances are though, that new Circle Pad likely won't be usable until an update is released.
I'm just hoping that the update coincides with the release of the new 3DS. So far, Nintendo has been responding to issues within the game very fast through updates, so I can see the C-Stick update happening once the new 3DS is released, or within the first week of its release. I'm worried that the update won't happen right away because they might wait for the new 3DS to be released worldwide.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm just hoping that the update coincides with the release of the new 3DS. So far, Nintendo has been responding to issues within the game very fast through updates, so I can see the C-Stick update happening once the new 3DS is released, or within the first week of its release. I'm worried that the update won't happen right away because they might wait for the new 3DS to be released worldwide.
With the C-stick, I am a Smash Jedi, especially using Mr.G&W.

otter

Smash Ace
I was expecting a bunch more desync technology lately, or have I just been missing it?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Haven't been around to post as much because of school.

Anyway, I'm going to list my thoughts on everything that has been going on.

Rosalina theme. Amazing! So going to use it when the themes become available. <3

Recent Rosalina tournament videos, she looks even more awesome! She has a lot more solo potential then was first thought it seems. Her aerials are really good. She can certainly hold her own.

Battlefield also looks like a bad stage for her. She probably prefers more flat stages.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Haven't been around to post as much because of school.

Anyway, I'm going to list my thoughts on everything that has been going on.

Rosalina theme. Amazing! So going to use it when the themes become available. <3

Recent Rosalina tournament videos, she looks even more awesome! She has a lot more solo potential then was first thought it seems. Her aerials are really good. She can certainly hold her own.

Battlefield also looks like a bad stage for her. She probably prefers more flat stages.
Welcome back!
Most of the theme looks fantastic, and based on the commercial, what kind of J-pop style Rosalina could be like in the commercial? If you find a fanart, be sure to post it here!
Can you post the link of the video? I would like to see it!
Rosalina has a huge advantage at air, but since she is light, she is also can be koed easily. She does have much fast attacks, but her smash is powerful with Luma, ONLY with Luma, you can't do much damage without it. Weak at battlefield? It does feel like it when you say this, I often saw her koed, or even screen koed mostly in Battlefield
I also got 649480 points in Target Blast by using Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina has a huge advantage on Battlefield in that a lot of her attacks can easily go through the platforms. I'm pretty sure she's one of the only characters who can potentially attack people under the platforms from above (this isn't even anything to do with Luma either). Rosalina players need to start taking advantage of that, as I have rarely seen people try such techniques. I want to experiment with this when I get the game.

As for a commercial outfit, I do have an idea of what she'd probably have in my mind, but I don't know if I'd be able to draw it. I'm more concerned with just playing Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm hearing that Lucario is quite powerful, so that might be a problem for Rosalina. Anyway, not much longer until the match-up discussion thread is open people.

I think if people start deciding to just go for the luma first before Rosalina, it might get ugly but to be honest, Rosalina w/o Luma isn't that bad at all. Pardon me for my lack of knowledge regarding the character (so correct me on this) but the only thing that's holding her down as a stand alone character is her physical attributes and her lack of solid KO options without Luma. She's still pretty good but I'm pretty sure people are gonna give it all they got to wreck the hell out of Rosalina while a Luma hasn't spawned yet

Good thing there aren't many characters that can safely KO Luma. The only ones I can think of in my head are anyone with good projectiles or long ranged melee attacks. Projectile characters can easily be handled with using her down b. Too early to say this because for all I know, some random guy will find a way around her down B but for now, it's godlike against projectiles

The real ******** are the long ranged characters that can attack safely by just spacing their attacks. Especially Marth... And Bowser... And Shulk with speed activated... And Ike.... And Lucina

How does Rosalina deal with fast characters by the way? As in, the ones that can rush at your face and just stay on you?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina seems fine against fast characters. Not particularly amazing against them (no more than she normally is against anyone), but not particularly bad against anyone.

IMO, her worst match-up is Villager. She's not terrible against him either, but it's DEFINITELY at least an even match-up. Rosalina can take care of Lloyd Rocket just fine, which is one of Villager's primary tools. But Villager has just as good a recovery as her. And has a few really strong moves. I don't know if the Tree can be negated with Gravitational Pull though, after it's been axed. If it can, it will put things in her favour. Same goes for the Bowling Ball. Both of those attacks can be pocketed by other Villagers, but I have not seen anyone try Rosalina's GP against it.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Rosalina seems fine against fast characters. Not particularly amazing against them (no more than she normally is against anyone), but not particularly bad against anyone.

IMO, her worst match-up is Villager. She's not terrible against him either, but it's DEFINITELY at least an even match-up. Rosalina can take care of Lloyd Rocket just fine, which is one of Villager's primary tools. But Villager has just as good a recovery as her. And has a few really strong moves. I don't know if the Tree can be negated with Gravitational Pull though, after it's been axed. If it can, it will put things in her favour. Same goes for the Bowling Ball. Both of those attacks can be pocketed by other Villagers, but I have not seen anyone try Rosalina's GP against it.
Does the Bowling ball count as a projectile? I guess it does drop from the stage's ledge if you are that close....this would be interesting to see.....are there no glaringly bad match ups against her yet? I am glad for that, but I don't particularly want my main to be op :/

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Does the Bowling ball count as a projectile? I guess it does drop from the stage's ledge if you are that close....this would be interesting to see.....are there no glaringly bad match ups against her yet? I am glad for that, but I don't particularly want my main to be op :/
You can reflect it with Mario's cape (easy to test on the demo) so I believe so.

You raise an interesting point. Many people have varied opinions on who is top so far but Rosalina is one of those who is consistently ranked among the top by just about everyone.

are there no glaringly bad match ups against her yet? I am glad for that, but I don't particularly want my main to be op :/
So far, the only characters that can actually give Rosalina a serious run is anyone that has long range. More lethal are those who hit hard, have long range and are fast. Like well.... Bowser (Oh boy). Or Marth. If Shulk uses Monado Speed (or buster or jump) then you got another iffy match up for maybe about 17 seconds. I think Sheik can actually give Rosalina a difficult time or Greninja, maybe. But overall, she doesn't have any ultra horrible 30/70 match ups from how it looks. Hell, at worst, her worst match up is probably a 45/55 but then again, just first impressions

It's too soon to talk about match ups though. These are just 100% first imrpessions

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
So far, the only characters that can actually give Rosalina a serious run is anyone that has long range. More lethal are those who hit hard, have long range and are fast. Like well.... Bowser (Oh boy). Or Marth. If Shulk uses Monado Speed (or buster or jump) then you got another iffy match up for maybe about 17 seconds. I think Sheik can actually give Rosalina a difficult time or Greninja, maybe. But overall, she doesn't have any ultra horrible 30/70 match ups from how it looks. Hell, at worst, her worst match up is probably a 45/55 but then again, just first impressions

It's too soon to talk about match ups though. These are just 100% first imrpessions
I am fully prepared to trust the opinion of a fellow Terra fan, but this sounds good.

Top, I can live with. Absolute best...I am not so sure.

I am afraid you will be disappointed then.
From the sounds of it she might just be pretty high up, but again the game isn't out and I'm sure the DDD effect will come in eventually.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When it comes to tiers, the top 5 most consistently touted as "top tier" characters I've seen are :rosalina::4sonic::4bowser::4duckhunt::4greninja:.

:4pacman::4sheik:&:4villager: seem to be making a name for themselves too.

Eh. I don't think Rosalina will be OP anyway but she's definitely one of the best right now

I might be talking too soon but she's really looking insane. But, people shouldn't really go out and call her OP. Seriously. Next thing we don't want is to become the lightest in the game out of no where or have our luma spawn time increased because people are demanding nerfs.
Not sure if he'll stay there for long but I regardless, he's still freaking good in the game
I am fully prepared to trust the opinion of a fellow Terra fan, but this sounds good.
:3

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
When it comes to tiers, the top 5 most consistently touted as "top tier" characters I've seen are :rosalina::4sonic::4bowser::4duckhunt::4greninja:.

Shiek being considered good again brings a tear to my eye...

but what I don't understand is....how has sonic been buffed so much to the point that he'd hop so high up? is this information from the sonic thread or have people honestly reported difficulties against sonic players? (I am not commenting on bowser ugh)

how has sonic been buffed so much to the point that he'd hop so high up? is this information from the sonic thread or have people honestly reported difficulties against sonic players? (I am not commenting on bowser ugh)
I'm not gonna tackle on the tier talk. I'll just say that Sonic's really really rly good in this game

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I'm not gonna tackle on the tier talk. I'll just say that Sonic's really really rly good in this game
I mained ness and did fairly well in brawl, I obviously care little for tier lists, but buffs this huge are kind of...interesting. Sonic was near bottom wasn't he? (first impressions tend to not mean much in the long run though...so we will see)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

I think :4zss: is cited at least as much as any of them. :4zss::rosalina::4duckhunt::4sheik: :4bowser::4greninja: are the ones I see most regularly, with :4sonic::4pacman: :4jigglypuff:becoming a lot more popular. Others (:4falco::4diddy:) seem to be very hotly debated as to whether they are better or worse in this game.

Some I imagine will drop but Rosalina is one of the ones less likely to in my opinion, as I feel Luma gives Rosalina players a lot more to explore than perhaps some other characters.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED

Good thing they're on her side with me. ;)

I mained ness and did fairly well in brawl, I obviously care little for tier lists, but buffs this huge are kind of...interesting. Sonic was near bottom wasn't he? (first impressions tend to not mean much in the long run though...so we will see)
He was below average to mid from what I remember

Anyway, I still don't think Rosalina's gonna be OP. So far, I don't think anyone in this game is worthy of the OP title.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
He was below average to mid from what I remember

Anyway, I still don't think Rosalina's gonna be OP. So far, I don't think anyone in this game is worthy of the OP title.
Are we talking brawl Metaknight OP (bannable) or are we talking melee Fox op? (very strong, but not ban strong).

I just hope the top tier characters are at least close enough in match ups that it isn't going to be too off balanced to the point where we are only seeing 1 or 2 characters constantly winning tournaments.

Are we talking brawl Metaknight OP (bannable) or are we talking melee Fox op? (very strong, but not ban strong).

I just hope the top tier characters are at least close enough in match ups that it isn't going to be too off balanced to the point where we are only seeing 1 or 2 characters constantly winning tournaments.
Of course Meta Knight OP

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic's grab range is ridiculous in this game, to the point it looks janky for him. Among many other things.

IMO, Rosalina and Sonic are looking to be this game's Fox (speaking in comparison to Melee) in this game. Sonic definitely has a similar playstyle in execution and viability to Melee Fox (minus the shine and lasers), and Rosalina just looks like an entirely new beast whom I think will never stop developing.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Sonic's grab range is ridiculous in this game, to the point it looks janky for him. Among many other things.

IMO, Rosalina and Sonic are looking to be this game's Fox (speaking in comparison to Melee) in this game. Sonic definitely has a similar playstyle in execution and viability to Melee Fox (minus the shine and lasers), and Rosalina just looks like an entirely new beast whom I think will never stop developing.
It certainly is interesting, but to call them the next fox...idk. Fox developed as top tier over years....not weeks.

He wasn't top of the list for four years.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It certainly is interesting, but to call them the next fox...idk. Fox developed as top tier over years....not weeks.

He wasn't top of the list for four years.
That's partly because the Smash Bros competitive scene in general was not so established when Melee came out and we certainly didn't have today's technology for things like analysing frame data and recording stuff.

That's partly because the Smash Bros competitive scene in general was not so established when Melee came out and we certainly didn't have today's technology for things like analysing frame data and recording stuff.
I thought the competitive scene was at its peak with Melee unless I'm getting something wrong here

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I thought the competitive scene was at its peak with Melee unless I'm getting something wrong here
It was (and is), but not for a few years.

People had to learn stuff for themselves...the game came out in 2001 we barely had the tech to figure all this crap out so quickly.

It took a while for the community to truly be established and grow into something more than just local fun times.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Oh and guys, patches might be a thing so

Yeah. Just saying
They probably won't do a crazy amount of them.....and lets be real. They are going to pay attention to the Japanese competitive scene and not ours, so who knows what will be patched.

They probably won't do a crazy amount of them.....and lets be real. They are going to pay attention to the Japanese competitive scene and not ours, so who knows what will be patched.
That probably means Rosalina is gonna get nerfed then if she's really as good as what the Japanese players are saying

and since Shulk is crap in their eyes, they're probably gonna buff him

Of course, this is all impressions

Let's hope they don't do too much

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
That probably means Rosalina is gonna get nerfed then if she's really as good as what the Japanese players are saying

and since Shulk is crap in their eyes, they're probably gonna buff him

Of course, this is all impressions

Let's hope they don't do too much
Did sakurai say he'd do multiple patches?

It all depends on if he believes he needs to (though I thought balancing was more so on his mind this time)

Did sakurai say he'd do multiple patches?

It all depends on if he believes he needs to (though I thought balancing was more so on his mind this time)
I'm not sure. I'm guessing maybe Namco Bandai might actually do the patches? I'm not really sure how this works

There'll probably be patches when there's a game breaking tech. I don't think they're gonna nerf anyone unless there's some special case of the sorts

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I hope I'm not too slow seeing this, but good lord, Gravitational Pull antics never get old:

https://vine.co/v/OZEVO0BUAlJ

I'm really loving the two customisations for this move also, but are they worth it? Decisions and sacrifices...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina isn't likely to get nerfed because there is nothing glaringly wrong with her. She's amazing, but only if you are competent yourself, because she is also the most complex character in the game.

She's not like Kratos initially was in Playstation All-Stars, where he was WAY faster, WAY stronger than anyone, had WAY more range than anyone, among other things, meaning any old meat head or 2 year old could use him.

I hope I'm not too slow seeing this, but good lord, Gravitational Pull antics never get old:

https://vine.co/v/OZEVO0BUAlJ

I'm really loving the two customisations for this move also, but are they worth it? Decisions and sacrifices...
I LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD WHEN I SAW THIS.

Rosalina is making me believe there is a god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom