• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mother Series's Eternal Villain - Porky Support Thread (New Ownership!)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Or you could make him like the one used in the fan game Super Smash bros Crusade.
I personally think that fighting in the Porky Mech should not be the way to go. I want to play as the character himself, not as a machine controlled by him.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
porky would be odd... It would physically HAVE to be the earthbound porky, because in mother 3 he's thousands of yearls old, so old he lost count. He's an old man on life support in his robot.

LUCAS YOU D**K YOU ATTACKED AN OLD MAN
Why would you limit him that way, Im pretty sure everyone who supports him as a character wants him in with the spiderbot due to his potentially amazingly cool moveset, and the fact he is a recurring earthbound villian.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
No other Smash Bros. character has such a major case of letting everyone else do the work.
Not to sound anti to the series or the thread but essentially this. His role in Mother 2 isn't that important and his role in Mother 3 it's really all about the needles, not the villains. It's kind of like throwing a Fire Emblem character out there (Like Anna, for example) for being reoccuring.

Very nice thread still FallKoopa! One of the best I've seen for a character.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If Porky could ride in the mech he got at the end of EarthBound, that would be cool. I've always imagined that he would use his bed mech for a Final Smash and act like it did in the boss battles. When he activates the Smash Ball, his spider mech would transform into the bed mech as he aged into his Mother 3 form. I'd also think he would be able to eject and fight that way, using slingshots, Mecha-Porkies and mechanical spider legs in a very Doc Ock-like fashion. I support the 5-character roster of Ness, Lucas, Porky, Masked Man and Ninten, and so should you! FallKoopa, please add me to the supporters!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, two of my threads revived in such a short span of time? It must be my lucky day.:awesome:

Adding you, APC99. :)

grizby2

Smash Lord
I personally think that fighting in the Porky Mech should not be the way to go. I want to play as the character himself, not as a machine controlled by him.
that would be very interesting to say the least..., seeing how porky doesn't do anything on his own. in fact, as a temporary companion, his only actions in battle are:

Uses Ness as a shield.
Pretends to cry.
Complains to Ness.
Smiles insincerely.
Plays dead.
cant remember them all right now, but ya. is there a moveset for him without a mech or army fighting for him?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Uses Ness as a shield.
Pretends to cry.
Complains to Ness.
Smiles insincerely.
Plays dead.
Lol, I remember these moves. Hoping that Sakurai takes creative liberties with these. :laugh:

A few examples that came to my mind:
- Pulls out a stuffed toy shaped like Ness.
- Cries, and the tears do damage to nearby opponents.
- Complains loudly. The sound waves cause damage.
- "Plays Dead" might be a counter move like Lucario's.

That would be hilarious.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I'm really hoping for a third Mother rep, whether it's Ninten, Masked Man, or Porky. Porky is a good candidate due to being present in both Earthbound and Mother 3, so I can definitely see him as part of the roster. Plus, he's such a great villian. I support this thread! (Plus I want to be on the supporters list...:p)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So since I last was in this thread I've played and finished Earthbound. Porky is now my "very unlikely but want him so badly" character for this game.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Unfortunately, I think that could apply to any Earthbound character at this point. I'd be fine with any Earthbound addition at this rate, even if it meant Dr. Andonuts or even a generic Starman.

Honestly though, if Porky makes it in as a playable character, the Mother series will have everything it needs to feel fully represented, and that's a gift not a lot of other series like Metroid or Donkey Kong can boast.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'll admit that this is the perhaps the largest obstacle to any Mother character. An important point to be remembered is that, in Smash, a character gets in based on his own merits rather than depending on the franchise he belongs to. Also, thinking over it, apparently this notion seems to have the 'sales' argument as one of its roots. The Mother series is an important part of Nintendo's history. Of course, it's not even close to MArio, Zelda or Pokémon, the series is huge in Japan, as its producer, Shigesato Itoi is a highly respected cultural figure.

Another point often brought up is that another Mother character would disrupt the series balance. Frankly, I don't see how adding just one more Mother character would jeopardize the balance. If people are cool with having 4 Star Fox and/or 4 Fire Emblem characters in Smash 4, then Mother can surely do with 3 reps.
I agree that a character should be decided upon based on their own attributes and what they can bring to SSB, but I don't think that's to say that the size of their series isn't a consideration at all - especially when their series is already represented in SSB. With three reps, Mother would be the only series to have the same number of playable characters as there are games in their series of origin, with the exception of single-appearance characters like the Ice Climbers.

Something to think about is that series so far have been represented in proportion to their size and significance. The huge mascot series, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, all have four character slots because they have the most games and the largest userbases. Series with only one, or few games generally only have their main protagonist as a representative (Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, Yoshi, Pikmin and so on). Mother is already an anomaly - with only three games, two representatives is being very generous. The reason it has two characters is because the games are so different from one another. If we only had Ness, that would solely represent Earthbound and nothing outside of it. By including Lucas we expand the Mother series representation to include Mother 3.

But I think that's more than enough for a series of its size. While I'd be happy if another character did somehow make it in, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just kept at Ness and Lucas.

Honestly though, if Porky makes it in as a playable character, the Mother series will have everything it needs to feel fully represented, and that's a gift not a lot of other series like Metroid or Donkey Kong can boast.
Actually it still wouldn't be fully represented when you take the first game into account. Mother 1 admittedly was never as big a hit or cult classic as Earthbound or Mother 3, but to overlook it when thinking about a third character would certainly be a shame.

I think, to make the fullest use of the whole Mother series while still keeping it in proportion, we should have Ness and Lucas as playable characters and a stage based on Mother 1.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Actually it still wouldn't be fully represented when you take the first game into account. Mother 1 admittedly was never as big a hit or cult classic as Earthbound or Mother 3, but to overlook it when thinking about a third character would certainly be a shame.

I think, to make the fullest use of the whole Mother series while still keeping it in proportion, we should have Ness and Lucas as playable characters and a stage based on Mother 1.
I disagree. While Mother 1 is certainly a part of the series itself, it wasn't the core of the Mother series. It didn't have the overworld enemy encounters, scrolling health bars, or zany dialogue that Earthbound and Mother 3 are well known and praised for. In fact, in terms of story between Mother and Earthbound, the only recurrent character was Giygas, and even then, he has no real ties between the two games beyond having (almost) the same name and control over aliens and machinery. Mother could be absent from the series, yet Earthbound and Mother 3 would not feel any less understood in background.

For those reasons, along with the fact that Mother 1 itself definitely has the weakest fanbase, I don't think a character is warranted from Mother 1. This is especially considering that the only notable requested character of Mother 1, Ninten, shares so many similarities with Ness that it essentially makes as much sense as adding yet another Link to Smash Bros. One is a spiritual successor to the other. They're essentially different yet the same. For those reasons, I would lean much more towards a character like Porky, who is graced with being the only major potential character to appear in multiple games of the series, as well as that he provides a niche in being the only Earthbound series character to not be a protagonist nor use PSI. We're representing characters, not games, in a given series. I'm fine with the idea of more Mother 1 music and stages, however.

That being said, Porky is an excellent finisher character for the series.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@God Robert's Cousin
Should I add you to the supporter's list? :)

I'm also thinking about adding your post to the OP under the counter-arguments section. I hope you don't mind. :p

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Please, do both. I don't mind at all.

Also a Porky moveset because why not. This is going off the Doc Ock Porky idea, by the way.

Overall statistics: Using parts of his mech as a way to attack, Porky has the benefit of having long-ranged regular attacks while having a small hitbox himself. However, Porky is overweight and therefore cannot jump high or run fast at all. He is a bit heavier than Ness or Lucas, and has a relatively fast falling speed.
Neutral Special: Super Bomb - Porky grabs a very ball-like bomb and underhand throws it onto the ground. After a noticeable delay of 4 seconds, it automatically explodes in a large radius. It is affected by terrain, meaning it will continue to roll down slopes much like a barrel does.
Side Special: Piggy Laser - Porky fires a yellow X-shaped laser from one of his machine arms. The projectile is large yet somewhat slow compared to other projectiles. Travels in a straight line until it hits something or leaves the screen.
Up Special: Porky Copter - Two of Porky's machine arms press up together and combine to form a propeller over Porky. It spins rapidly, bringing Porky upwards and doing a multitude of hits if an opponent is caught in it.
Down Special: PSI Counter Device - Porky emits a crackling force field around himself. Whenever an energy projectile hits Porky during this, the damage he takes will go directly to the attacker. For example, a fully charged Samus shot doing 30% would bring Samus' percentage up by 30% if it hits Porky. Energy projectiles from Assist Trophies and other sources besides the attacker will be absorbed, but will not damage Porky.
Final Smash: Heavily Armed Porky - Porky flies up off the screen and comes crashing down in his spider mech from Earthbound. It maneuvers similarly to his Mother 3 Mech boss fight from Brawl, being able to crab walk left and right and jump into the air. Pressing A tears into the opponent while pressing B launches several Porky Bots out to chase down the opponent. Additionally, pressing A while in the middle of a jump causes Porky and his mech to crash straight down much like a Bowser Bomb, with the additional effect of burying the opponent in the ground. As the final smash gets closer to ending, Porky will release more and more "stinky gas" from his machine before it explodes spectacularly (doing decent knockback to anyone within range).

Speculator

Smash Ace
I disagree. While Mother 1 is certainly a part of the series itself, it wasn't the core of the Mother series. It didn't have the overworld enemy encounters, scrolling health bars, or zany dialogue that Earthbound and Mother 3 are well known and praised for. In fact, in terms of story between Mother and Earthbound, the only recurrent character was Giygas, and even then, he has no real ties between the two games beyond having (almost) the same name and control over aliens and machinery. Mother could be absent from the series, yet Earthbound and Mother 3 would not feel any less understood in background.

For those reasons, along with the fact that Mother 1 itself definitely has the weakest fanbase, I don't think a character is warranted from Mother 1. This is especially considering that the only notable requested character of Mother 1, Ninten, shares so many similarities with Ness that it essentially makes as much sense as adding yet another Link to Smash Bros. One is a spiritual successor to the other. They're essentially different yet the same. For those reasons, I would lean much more towards a character like Porky, who is graced with being the only major potential character to appear in multiple games of the series, as well as that he provides a niche in being the only Earthbound series character to not be a protagonist nor use PSI. We're representing characters, not games, in a given series. I'm fine with the idea of more Mother 1 music and stages, however.
I agree, a character from Mother 1 isn't warranted. I was simply pointing out that, regardless of whether or not you feel M1 to be a 'true' Mother game, the series wouldn't be by any means fully represented if another EB/M3 character was included. It's still leaving out a third of the series.

That said, yeah, there's not much merit for including a character from Mother 1. I do think it's an important part of the series and I don't think you're giving it enough credit - it established a lot of the elements later found in EB and M3 - but it would be much more appropriate as a stage rather than a third playable character. My doubts are about there being a third Mother rep at all, not who it might be.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I agree, a character from Mother 1 isn't warranted. I was simply pointing out that, regardless of whether or not you feel M1 to be a 'true' Mother game, the series wouldn't be by any means fully represented if another EB/M3 character was included. It's still leaving out a third of the series.

That said, yeah, there's not much merit for including a character from Mother 1. I do think it's an important part of the series and I don't think you're giving it enough credit - it established a lot of the elements later found in EB and M3 - but it would be much more appropriate as a stage rather than a third playable character. My doubts are about there being a third Mother rep at all, not whom it might be.
I may have not made my own stance clear then when I said that Earthbound would be fully represented.

Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are not fully represented in that there are a multitude of potential characters that could still be added. Metroid and Donkey Kong are not fully represented in that they're missing antagonistic support as well as have other characters that could still fill niches of their series. Yoshi and F-Zero lack secondary characters entirely despite the size of their franchises. Things like that. Earthbound would be lucky to have Porky that by having the two more well-known protagonists and the recurring villain that connects them both, all the major angles of the series are covered. Kirby is an example of this, having the main character, the villain, and the anti-hero, leaving any future additions to be understood as complimentary but not necessary. Earthbound would have the same satisfaction in having the three most over-arching characters of the trilogy.

Mother 1 would be left out, but it would be much less of a void to be missing an extremely similar protagonist than it would be to be missing a two-time villain.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just realized God Robert is already on the supporter's list. :laugh:

Also, editing the OP on a phone is a nightmare (-_-). I think I'll add your post later.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I may have not made my own stance clear then when I said that Earthbound would be fully represented.

Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem are not fully represented in that there are a multitude of potential characters that could still be added. Metroid and Donkey Kong are not fully represented in that they're missing antagonistic support as well as have other characters that could still fill niches of their series. Yoshi and F-Zero lack secondary characters entirely despite the size of their franchises. Things like that. Earthbound would be lucky to have Porky that by having the two more well-known protagonists and the recurring villain that connects them both, all the major angles of the series are covered. Kirby is an example of this, having the main character, the villain, and the anti-hero, leaving any future additions to be understood as complimentary but not necessary. Earthbound would have the same satisfaction in having the three most over-arching characters of the trilogy.

Mother 1 would be left out, but it would be much less of a void to be missing an extremely similar protagonist than it would be to be missing a two-time villain.
The way I see it, something like Mario is fully represented because Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi for the most part appear in all the Mario series games. Same with Kirby, Yoshi and so on. I think Captain Falcon represents every F-Zero game just fine, for example. Since the Mother games are so different from one another, just having one or two characters doesn't cover all bases. If Ness was the protagonist of all three games, then I'd consider Ness alone "full representation", despite not including a villain or sidekick character. But here that's not the case - with just Ness and Lucas, there are no Mother 1 elements at all. So I don't think it's fully representing the series in that respect.

That's my definition, anyway. Of course, I'm not saying all series need full representation - I wouldn't want to see every Fire Emblem lord included in the game, for instance. And I should reiterate I don't want a Mother 1 rep, either. I'm just making the point that, in my eyes, the whole range of the series isn't covered by Ness, Lucas and Porky.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I love the Mother series and it one of my personal favs, so seeing the evil Porky join Smash would be a dream come true. Though, I'm more partial to the Masked Man as a potential fighter, I still really like the idea of a Doc Ock-like Porky that gets in his mech for his final smash. I think it might be a long-shot for any new Mother characters to enter the fray (though I really wish more would...), I'd still love to support Porky for SSB4! :bee:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Rearranged the OP, added God Robert's Cousin's post to the counter-arguments section and created a section for movesets.

Will probably add a music section next.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Added Hotfeet444's fan-art to the OP (which I slightly edited so that the left foot of the mech isn't cut off. :p)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
do you think the fact that earthbound finally went on virtual console (worldwide, might I add) affects his chances? I know it pretty much solidifies Ness' chances.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
do you think the fact that earthbound finally went on virtual console (worldwide, might I add) affects his chances? I know it pretty much solidifies Ness' chances.
I honestly don't know if it'll mean a thing to Sakurai. Chances are he had no idea Earthbound was going to be re-released at the time he was creating the roster, so another Earthbound character wouldn't get in based on Earthbound being on the Virtual Console.

Which brings up the other problem with Porky's chances, in that part of why characters are added is to draw in potential new players who want to play as that character... Chances are likely that most of the non-Japanese Earthbound fanbase started by playing as Ness or Lucas in Smash Bros., meaning that chances are very likely that all the people who are highly familiar with Porky are already inclined to buying the next Smash Bros. in the first place. That being said, Sakurai may not add Porky or anyone else on part of how he already has the entire Earthbound fanbase set with just having Ness and Lucas... That doesn't really fare well for us, considering the "Earthbound is too small to get 3 characters" crowd can only add to that as their reasoning.

Cynical, but very possible. I think that if we get DLC, re-released Earthbound may very well help Porky's chances as a DLC character over the Masked Man.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Also, posting music to help out FalKoopa because I'm bored and strangely very productive at 2:30 in the morning.

Porky's Theme
Porky's overarching background music whenever you encounter him in Earthbound.
Porky Means Business
Probably what is the most well-known Porky theme, original and all.
Porky Means Business (Tansunn Remix)
A part of the Rock Candy album of Earthbound songs, an excellent remastering of the final battle music with an orchestra instead of synthesizer.
Porky Means Business (Dedede Jr. Remix)
A heavier take the final battle music, featuring a faint chorus and organs in the first part.
Piggy Guys
The battle theme of most Pig Mask fights in Mother 3. You know, because they're Porky's army.
King P's Theme
The song played by DCMC in Mother 3, also being the one that first hints at Porky's involvement in the game.
Porky's Porkies
The semi-semi-final battle song of Mother 3. Porky-bots everywhere.
Master Porky's Theme
The battle theme against Porky in Mother 3. Powerful, serious, and somewhat eeire.
Theme of Bad Boy (Mother 3i Remix)
A medley from the Mother 3i album on iTunes, including but not limited to Porky's Porkies, Master Porky's Theme, and Piggy Guys.

Edit: 500th post. Woot.
Edit edit: Check Theme of Bad Boy again, the original link had a messed up bit somewhere around the Drago battle.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Created the Music section, and added the Trophy art. This thread has seen a lot of activity lately... If only this thread had been created earlier. :(

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Porky means business.... whenever he goes to McDonalds​
But all joking aside, reading through this forum too, I can see the misconception as to why Porky is seen as a villain and I can also see why considering Mother 3. I also don't hate him. In fact, I actually feel pity towards him. Why? Keep reading *MASSIVE MOTHER/EARTHBOUND SPOILERS*

Talking to people in EB/Mother, those that refereed to Pokey were often horrible (pig in people's cloths for example). Itoi also stated that Pokey's childhood was horrible, and his parent's behavior only further solidifies their negligence towards him. His own younger brother Picky hints an insult at him right in the beginning of the game too. Pokey even mentions he and Ness are best friends, and his behavior in the beginning of Mother 2/EarthBound are eerily more similar to Lucas (timid and shy around others) than really anyone else. Imagine how Lucas would've turned out being granted the same life Pokey did. I'd imagine he might not end up so different. In addition, Pokey also says he was under control of the Carpenter like everyone else in the HHC and that he was also freed and asks Ness to forgive him and to be friends again. When Ness doesn't respond, Pokey takes it as a "no" and.... everything after is the result. Had Ness said yes, I have my doubts Pokey would've let Giygas free from the Devil's Machine, considering it would very likely mean the death of his one and only friend. His obsession to meet Ness again and be friends with him drives him to his madness, and the fact that he can pull things from the past to him (proven through repeative references to time travel and Ness's stuff), it's likely he planned to kill everyone using the Dark Dragon in Mother 3 (excluding himself, as he is immortal), then use whatever he used before to pull Ness to him, literally trapping both of them in the same time forever. This is further defended by Porky clearly stating he wanted everyone who "didn't like" him to be gone, implying he planned to kill them all off. Porky manipulating the wildlife to look "cooler" could also be justified by his desires to be friends with Ness again, as Ness did carry a grievance having to fight all of the wildlife in his own time and Porky's new wildlife being under his control. Something to impress Ness, if you will. Let's also not forget Lucas's home looked eerily similar to Onett after Porky came.
Pokey/Porky did do very evil things, yes, but I must remind you Claus/MM was kneeling before the last pin, rather than pulling it out and releasing the Dark Dragon. Keep in mind at that point he was also completely under Porky's control and at the command would've grabbed it without hesitation, ultimately signaling Porky intentially gave them a chance to fight for their world. Or perhaps he just wanted Lucas to understand Porky's hurt? After all, it's very clear Ness never did.

Now, about Porky as a brawler, I'm afraid I'm going to say no to it. The idea that maybe young Pokey could be a brawler is an interesting idea to say in the least, but I really don't support it as much as Ninten. The argument that Mother 1 is the least popular of the series and doesn't matter, all I have to say is why does that apply as an anti towards Ninten? Lucas and Mother 3 in general got so much more fans as a direct result of SSBB (me included). If Mother 1 isn't known, then placing Ninten amongst the ranks would be the perfect way to solve the issue. Ninten's sprite is also incredibly poor in Mother 1, so of course he'd look like Ness, but have you actually SEEN the two characters paired side by side?

Ninten has about as much similarities in design with Ness as he does with Lucas (also Ninten's belt isn't showing in this picture of him)...

Ninten's character would also be required to be unique from the other two because of his lack of offensive PSI. In turn he'd have to be a heavily close combat based fighter like Marth, Squirtle and Sonic who would have to heavily rely on combos to pull off massive damage whereas Ness and Lucas can fight while still keeping some distance.

Also, about Porky's mech, how would you figure the weight power and speed figure for his class? He'd clearly weigh a ton.
...I'm not joking...
And it is inevitably going to affect how he fights. Pokey with the mech legs seems like a really neat idea at first glance, but thinking about it just leaves a headache. it really doesn't make much sense considering his personality, whom the moves of the cast are often reliant upon to some degree, it doesn't have an appearance anywhere in any Mother game, and Pokey isn't really one who's known for running for obvious reasons.

Perhaps if you would be so kind as to tackle these issues before claiming superiority to your own character desired would be liked if you have any desires to see others join support for Pokey/Porky

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ninten's official artwork is just Ness with a flipped cap and no backpack.

please put me on support list pls

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Ninten's official artwork is just Ness with a flipped cap and no backpack.

please put me on support list pls
So... you don't notice the hair, eyes, cap, shoes, socks, shirt or face (belt not included)?

No wonder people think they're the same character...

EDIT: I brought up that post not simply because of favor towards Ninten, but because some issues as to why Pokey/Porky doesn't work are not addressed yet in this support forum to him. One must have opposition to know where to improve ya' know.

Top Bottom