• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement tech (new?)

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
I was fooling around with some run + crouch mechanics the other day, and noticed something I've never seen before. As most of you know, you can't turn around right after running, even from crouch there is a slight delay. Now what I found was that if you walk forward, you remove this restriction. This allows you to do anything out of a run, like dash back, tilt back and grab back. You can also do a pc drop which is rather quick.
In short: run - crouch - walk - whatever.
Is this known? This lets you be in a neutral state(walk) from run with only 2 frames transition when done perfectly.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Especially sheik would be able to do a dashdance with only slight delay each turn.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
I've heard of that, but they explained it as only crouch. Which means it doesn't really bypass the turn restriction, just lets you dash as soon as the restriction is over. I'll do some digging.

Edit: It appears to be cactuars tech, but combining it with the pc drop is kinda new. I really don't know any faster way to grab ledge, except maybe t-drop, but thats just one stage. All other ledgegrab options for example fox has seem to be slower.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I've heard of that, but they explained it as only crouch. Which means it doesn't really bypass the turn restriction, just lets you dash as soon as the restriction is over. I'll do some digging.

Edit: It appears to be cactuars tech, but combining it with the pc drop is kinda new. I really don't know any faster way to grab ledge, except maybe t-drop, but thats just one stage. All other ledgegrab options for example fox has seem to be slower.
Fox can running shine turnaround wavedash to grab ledge or run off, drop down shine turnaround to Up-b grab ledge as well. Those are probably just as fast.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Not only is shine turn around up b slow but it's also vulnerable and leaves you without a jump under the ledge if you get hit

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Not only is shine turn around up b slow but it's also vulnerable and leaves you without a jump under the ledge if you get hit
It looks cool though. Thats good enough for me. But honestly I usually just short hop or wavedash to the ledge.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Shine turnaround wd back uses 1 frame crouch, 4 frames shine, 3 frames jumpsquat, and some extra while sliding in wavedash. Running crouch to pc drop uses 1 frame crouch, 1 frame walk, 1 frame turn. This tech uses about half as much time.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
The only way is pivot shield drop right?
I'm not actually sure. You can T drop for sure but that only works on Fountain, and then you can probably just dash and pivot so that you fall off the edge during the turning animation, but that's incredibly difficult. It would be fast though

And I don't even know if it's possible to PC drop with no speed, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
It is possible to pivot to the ledge, no shield or anything, but it's really hard. The PC drop is actually really easy as you retain some momentum from the run. -ACE- -ACE- A smash turn, which has the same input as backwards dash.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Shine turnaround wd back uses 1 frame crouch, 4 frames shine, 3 frames jumpsquat, and some extra while sliding in wavedash. Running crouch to pc drop uses 1 frame crouch, 1 frame walk, 1 frame turn. This tech uses about half as much time.
You can't walk immediately out of crouch, you have to wait 7(IIRC, not 100% sure, might be 6) frames for Squat to transition into SquatWait before you can walk. It's run(0) -> RunBrake(1) -> Squat(2) -> SquatWait(8) -> walk(9) -> Turn(10) . You can smash turn directly out of SquatWait which is about as hard as walk into smash turn though.

You don't have to go into crouch before shining, and turning in shine delays your jump by 3 frames, so it goes: run(0) -> shine (1) -> jumpsquat after turn in shine (7) -> airdodge into ground (10).

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
I think you are mistaken, the walk after crouch seems to be possible instantly. Also you cant use other b moves than forward b while in run.

Top Bottom