• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I would be incredibly surprised and disappointed if G&W didn't comeback. He was a major part of what got nintendo into handheld like consoles, he's a worthy part of nintendo history.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yep... I love ol' Game and Watch. I would be upset if he does not return.

*Thinks about G&W in HD*

Chauzu

Smash Ace
There's no way G&W is getting dropped. He's part of the gang and always will be.

As a character I'm a bit indifferent though, but then again I am to most I don't main.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Reasons why Mr. Game & Watch is not getting cut:

-Visual Novelty
-Retro Rep (Sakurai loves these, and Mr. Game and Watch is as retro as you can get)
-Not a clone
-Two-game seniority so far
-Relevance (Game and Wario, frequent references or cameos in Nintendo games)
-Extremely easy to make and animate

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
While I agree G&W has a VERY strong chance of returning, looking at Villager's moveset unnerves me a little. People have pointed out the similarities between the two, especially the randomness of items they pull out, vaguely similar looking recovery specials, projectile collecting special, and even size (Villy will probably also be light, but not G&W light.)

I'm just afraid we're going to end up with a Mewtwo/Lucario scenario again, where they drop one character for a "similar" one that doesn't really replace him. Not many thought Mewtwo would be dropped, so I'm leery to assume G&W is a shoein.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
I gotta have my bucket-braking though.

But that's probably getting fixed even he still has Oil Panic.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Alas, poor Bucket Brake. We barely knew thee.

Unless it stays, which would be awesome.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I'd just like to point out the fact that Mr. G&W represents the "Black" community

sorry if I went too far <_<;

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
While I agree G&W has a VERY strong chance of returning, looking at Villager's moveset unnerves me a little. People have pointed out the similarities between the two, especially the randomness of items they pull out, vaguely similar looking recovery specials, projectile collecting special, and even size (Villy will probably also be light, but not G&W light.)

I'm just afraid we're going to end up with a Mewtwo/Lucario scenario again, where they drop one character for a "similar" one that doesn't really replace him. Not many thought Mewtwo would be dropped, so I'm leery to assume G&W is a shoein.
Well for one, Villager and Game and Watch are COMPLETELY different franchises so he has that going for him XD

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Well for one, Villager and Game and Watch are COMPLETELY different franchises so he has that going for him XD
Yeah, if G&W counts as a franchise. :) Actually, it's 59 games long, which makes it larger than every other franchise except Mario!

Why was he not revealed first, coming from Nintendo's second largest franchise. (I'm assuming. I'm too lazy to double check that)

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Yeah, if G&W counts as a franchise. :) Actually, it's 59 games long, which makes it larger than every other franchise except Mario!

Why was he not revealed first, coming from Nintendo's second largest franchise. (I'm assuming. I'm too lazy to double check that)
Well he wasn't revealed early because he's never revealed early :p and even if it doesn't count as a franchise game&watch=/=animal crossing XD

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Paper is almost 2D and that can definitely be cut.

G&W can't be cut because retro and awesome animations.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think ole' Game and Watch will stay. Villager seems to play differently than G&W.

The Villager seems to focus on traps (tree, down Smash, possibly the net, bowling ball) and projectiles (slingshot, turnip, Up Smash). He will probably be heavier.

G&W is a more aggressive character that relies fast, powerful Smashes and moves, balanced by his extremely light weight.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
in teams, villager + g&w. villager can collect an energy projectile, and throw it into g&w's oil bucket.

:D

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
sadly G&W won't return I'm a G&W melee main, disliked him in brawl strongly, and seeing villager is just seeing G&W all the random pulling out of things and what not, I mean if he came back it would seem sort of unneeded :(
OH MY GOD LITTLE MAC PUNCHES THINGS THAT MAKES CAPTAIN FALCON OBSOLETE! I'm going to brush past that Mr. Game and Watch in brawl comment though I personally think Mr. Game and Watch in brawl just plays amazing for style in brawl's little world/engine. That torch is still godly XD Hey, he's supposedly more competitively viable in brawl :3 (But then again your dislike for Brawl N Watch probably stemmed more from the differences in brawl itself I'm assuming any way... But seriously you don't think Villager and Game and Watch can coexist in a similar niche? Going by that logic there are tons of characters that are even more unneeded, and seriously until Villager attacks you with a turtle and a frying pan... And a hammer... and every other object Mr. Game and Watch uses... But mostly the turtle- OK my point is that they will play out very differently in spite of a similar idea foundation of what their attacks were built on.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
@MargnetMan23
Emphasis on "almost" 2D. :D

Also, G&W was seriously buffed by Brawl's physics. Like, a lot. I'm worried that if Sm4sh has closer gravity/hitstun to Melee (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) then he'll become mediocre again. And that makes me sad faced.

Since this thread has been "might be cut" or "Naw, he's in" for 2 pages, Ima mix it up. Assuming G&W returns (which he should) does anyone expect any moveset changes/reverts?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
@MargnetMan23
Emphasis on "almost" 2D. :D

Also, G&W was seriously buffed by Brawl's physics. Like, a lot. I'm worried that if Sm4sh has closer gravity/hitstun to Melee (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) then he'll become mediocre again. And that makes me sad faced.

Since this thread has been "might be cut" or "Naw, he's in" for 2 pages, Ima mix it up. Assuming G&W returns (which he should) does anyone expect any moveset changes/reverts?
Well what other game and watch games are there? XD I personally would not mind if they changed his specials up a bit. Because frankly as they are all of them but the parachute are very situational. The frying pan is never really that helpful the hammer even when it gets a nine is kind of hard to land etc. But I will say I don't want the bucket to leave. In the few matchups that I get to use the bucket it is VERY satisfying to see that oil blast away an unsuspecting Lucas/Pikachu/whoever else has an energy projectile XD But frankly, I think the moveset he has represents him and his games well and all of his attacks serves a unique purpose from a unique game and I don't think we need to change game and watch up JUST for the sake of changing mr. game and watch up. But on the other hand I find it lame how Mr. Game and Watch's side taunt is basically using the bell lower to the ground, and how all 4 of his throws are juggling. Seriously if you could figure out something else to use for 3 of those throws that would be nice. It's almost as bad as Snake's only taunt being a box XD But can someone tell me if there are any other game and watch games that could make for a good move? I'm pretty sure there probably are but still. But hey, as long as he keeps his turtle... And his Torch... And that stupid box thing from his forward air... And his key attack IT'S ALL GOOD

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
OH MY GOD LITTLE MAC PUNCHES THINGS THAT MAKES CAPTAIN FALCON OBSOLETE! I'm going to brush past that Mr. Game and Watch in brawl comment though I personally think Mr. Game and Watch in brawl just plays amazing for style in brawl's little world/engine. That torch is still godly XD Hey, he's supposedly more competitively viable in brawl :3 (But then again your dislike for Brawl N Watch probably stemmed more from the differences in brawl itself I'm assuming any way... But seriously you don't think Villager and Game and Watch can coexist in a similar niche? Going by that logic there are tons of characters that are even more unneeded, and seriously until Villager attacks you with a turtle and a frying pan... And a hammer... and every other object Mr. Game and Watch uses... But mostly the turtle- OK my point is that they will play out very differently in spite of a similar idea foundation of what their attacks were built on.
well...it was more of an observation less of an assumption, I mean I just feel he may not be needed, and I was just never good at brawl pretty terrible nothing against the game lol i'm just bad at it and I know G&W is better in brawl he just has more options. But G&W is also pretty much a staple to smash bros so I could see it happening

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
@MargnetMan23

Yeah for real. I main him in Brawl, but I really can't play him well at all in Melee or even Project M. I'd like to see him come back, but I'm not sure if I'll main him again in Smash4.

Well what other game and watch games are there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_&_Watch_games

Helmet: honestly this makes way more sense for his Final Smash where he could make a bunch of tools fall out of the sky

Safebuster: This one could have interesting move set possibilities. " A security guard on the bottom screen uses a tube to catch bombs thrown by a bandit on the top screen. The tube is able to hold three bombs, which can be dumped down a chute at either side of the bottom screen for 1 point each."

Other than that, most of the higher selling G&W games have some move based on them.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I see no reason to cut Game and Watch I mean he's just.........awesome.......I love using him a lot but I just don't main him really. If he doesn't return I have a feeling Sakurai will get A LOT of hate.....from me...........and other people.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I really don't like G&W. He doesn't fit my play style, his B move is just awful, and his hammer is too OP or just too weak (I think a level 1 will give you recoil damage) at times. Anyways, I still want him in Smash 4. Even though I don't like him, it would be weird not seeing him in the roster. He is a classic, and is very important to smash. He has my support. Also, I think his hammer had a rule where you can't use the last two numbers you had before.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Game & Watch should stay. No doubt. No buffs should happen in my opinion, except for maybe better comboing.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I thinl Brawl G&W was perfectly balanced. He had strong tools, but they were limited and fairly one directional. His recovery was linear, but still effective. His Smashes were laggy, but rewarded reads. I wouldn't mind a couple buffs/nerfs, but I don't feel any are necessary (unless engine changes seriously affect him).

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I agree, I think G&W was probably one of the most, if not THE most balanced character in the game. Being very light in weight, but having super strong attacks, and the ability to absorb energy based projectiles with his Bucket for a very powerful K.O. I feel like some of his buffs could be(being a Kirby main) a Short-hop Double Chef, or maybe a Greenhouse that can be cancelled anytime. But all-in-all he is a very good character.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Honestly, I thinl Brawl G&W was perfectly balanced. He had strong tools, but they were limited and fairly one directional. His recovery was linear, but still effective. His Smashes were laggy, but rewarded reads. I wouldn't mind a couple buffs/nerfs, but I don't feel any are necessary (unless engine changes seriously affect him).
Words cannot describe how much fun I have baiting characters to fall right into my torch move XD

@tomic

Smash Apprentice

Well like you said before, with Smash 4 supposedly being a bit faster and less floaty he could be affected. Hopefully they buff him a bit to compensate.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Since characters have an outline in the 3DS version, will G&W have one? Plus, it has been announced that you can edit the outline thickness and what not. Will that make G&W have some sort of odd outline?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Since characters have an outline in the 3DS version, will G&W have one? Plus, it has been announced that you can edit the outline thickness and what not. Will that make G&W have some sort of odd outline?
An outline for a character that already has a large outline... MAKES SENSE! Actually it would be pretty hilarious if they did, but that light grey outline does the job nicely doncha think?

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
The white thickness will probably be adjustable to a degree, but not removable. That would be awesome, though. No outline on a black backgrounded stage...

Top Bottom