• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
If you guys wanna see a lotta GW I've got it for you. It's mostly teams though

Smiley (Sheik/Mr. Game & Watch) + Wafty (Wario) vs Jard (Mario) + J.K Rollings (Bowser) - Winners Semis
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761?t=1h26m30s

^This is the set where I get those hype game changing 9s that I was talking about.

Smiley (Mr. Game & Watch) + Wafty (Wario) vs Timmy (Diddy Kong) + SS (Villager) - Winners finals
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761?t=1h40m59s

^Great set. But I do get VERY greedy. So i'm gonna be a bit more conservative next time. I'm a very aggressive and confident player but I need to slow down a lot of the time. Still some great play.

Smiley (Mr. Game & Watch) + Wafty (Wario) vs Timmy (Diddy Kong) + SS (Villager) - Winners finals
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761?t=3h19m47s

^The rematch. Wanted to switch characters because GW is just waaayy too light. But GW kept SS off Ness so i had no choice.

Smiley (Ness/Mr. Game & Watch) vs Timmy (Diddy Kong)
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/609489761?t=4h59m22s

^First of all gimme a break: Almost no diddy experience. GW starts in the second match.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Seeing my main and secondary together on a team was a thing of beauty.

Seeing more Diddy, not so much. Doesn't look to be any less annoying to deal with in doubles then he is in singles.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
^He was easier in doubles, but it's also because Diddy isn't diddy in doubles

He's Uair: The character
He's UAir: The character in singles too. :p

I got to play Vermanubis quite a bit tonight, and... man, it was pretty brutal. Barely won any games as Game & Watch (I won a few more with Villager). I'm pretty sure Verm is a superior player to me anyway, so it's hard to say just how bad the matchup is. Personally I think it's in Ganon's favor, a little more than slightly but less than devastating (so 40:60ish). Ganon's range and power toss poor Game & Watch around like a rag doll. Being especially vulnerable to Flame Choke doesn't help either. Fortunately we can juggle and gimp Ganon really well. The match I probably did the best in was when I tried sticking to the ground more. Usually I do fine in the air but it just wasn't cutting it against Verm.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I thought Gdorf was surprisingly hard for this character in Brawl too honestly. But I'm an aggressive player that didn't play lame enough to really exploit Ganon's weaknesses. I didn't turtle much.

In this game... I dunno yet.

It's actually very possible:
We can't space him out anymore, because we lack safe moves
His recovery is buffed
Rage makes him even stronger
We can't KO as easily anymore

On the other hand:
He's still probably the easiest character to edgeguard (or second who cares)
Usmash
Landing is more difficult in this game
We can tech side-b now (This is really important)

Dunno what to think. If you don't tech the dthrows that character seems much better than he actually is.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've been playing online a bit, and I honestly haven't had many problems with G&W. Once, I was able to take around 115% damage, and was still the only player in the match who hadn't been killed, so I won. However (and I know this is gonna sound lame), it was in "For Fun" and/or against my friend. I like starting all things normal, and gradually work my way up to harder opponents. But I will eventually try out G&W in For Glory. Just not at this time. It's a bit too early for that.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I've been playing online a bit, and I honestly haven't had many problems with G&W. Once, I was able to take around 115% damage, and was still the only player in the match who hadn't been killed, so I won. However (and I know this is gonna sound lame), it was in "For Fun" and/or against my friend. I like starting all things normal, and gradually work my way up to harder opponents. But I will eventually try out G&W in For Glory. Just not at this time. It's a bit too early for that.
Don't bother. For Glory is a lagfest. Then there's this.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Don't bother. For Glory is a lagfest. Then there's this.
So apparently best thing to do is screw around on For Fun sometimes, and get your main games from local friends on the same skill level/mindset?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
*still waiting for that G&W 3DS home theme that Europe got two weeks ago*

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
@ SFA Smiley SFA Smiley may I recommend marking this thread as the social thread and the "impressions" thread as a more competitive one? Obviously there'll be some overlap but it makes me sad we don't have a snappy title for this thread. Mainly, anyway.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^Yeah I was planning on doing some stuff, I literally just got back from Cali though. I'll do that though, good idea.

As far as the tourney I didn't do so well. I have johns but I mean at the end of the day it's whatever. I got knocked into losers first round because I tried to be cool and go GW game 3 against a sheik. I tried but it didn't work very well at all lol.

Went through losers a bit and got ****ed by some ruleset jank that didn't even exist, after all, and the TO's assistant was wrong but I'm over it, I have a big tourney in PHX next week and then Apex the week after. Final Battle wasn't ran particularly great but i've been to worse tourneys (SKTAR 3 was baaaaad)

I did enjoy myself though, I do wish I performed a little better but I can't focus on what's done I gotta look forward to the future.

In doubles we didn't do so hot either, i messed up bad in a match and caused us to get knocked into losers. Killed my partner like 4 times that set it was rough. Then we were running through losers and ran into another AZ Team. First game I played pretty solid and FINALLY won a 2v1 in this game versus Dark Pit and Diddy (Which is REALLY hard). Second game I suicided twice at low percents even though we had a lot of dominance. 3rd game we lost. We weren't mad but we think we would've went far but I just played kinda bad in some matches. On the plus side I ran into the dude who screwed me over the ruleset stuff in losers so u-smashing his team felt pretty gratifying.

On the non Smiley side of things: Paper did some tight stuff. I dunno if he did particularly well in Bracket but i'm pretty sure he went full GW (I used mostly sheik) which is admirable in it's own regard, and he beat Chibo... kinda wrecked Chibo, it was nasty. that was recorded and will be uploaded to clashtournaments youtube. He got kinda Bodied by Nairo though but I don't expect much out of GW... at least yet, i'm gonna hit the lab this week and come up with some stuff

On a more positive note I understand doubles GW so much more now and also just the character in general. Wanna work on some stuff this week ad practice some advanced techniques: Perfect Pivots, airdodge ledge cancels, and reverse jump canceled Usmashes. I've never been a technical player but I think in order to use this character i'm gonna need every tool possible and I am getting some ideas for how to use this character better. If I find **** that works i'll update you guys.

Also i'm gonna try starting up the matchup thread this week.

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
On a more positive note I understand doubles GW so much more now and also just the character in general. Wanna work on some stuff this week ad practice some advanced techniques: Perfect Pivots, airdodge ledge cancels, and reverse jump canceled Usmashes. I've never been a technical player but I think in order to use this character i'm gonna need every tool possible and I am getting some ideas for how to use this character better. If I find **** that works i'll update you guys.

Also i'm gonna try starting up the matchup thread this week.
When you do start looking at matchups, begin with what moves G&W can duck under. We can use that to determine what we can punish with G&W's grab, like how Jiggs can duck under some moves and Rest as a punish.

Last edited:

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
So I was playing against a ROB online, and I fell off the stage and like anyone else I went and recovered using Fire, and while the ROB was still on stage, I hit him with the last frame(s?) of Fire before the parachute came out and he ended up getting killed at 110%. I don't know if anyone has had any similar situations so I thought I'd share.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
You know what really bothers me? How Smashing...Live!'s cover cuts off Mr. Game & Watch's portrait, and blatantly at that. Everybody else's portrait is fully visible, but his isn't. His position in general seems to invite this since he's above the rest of the characters. There's plenty of open space for him to be where he can't get wantonly cut off. Even still, it's very easy to get him to fit within the frame.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You know what really bothers me? How Smashing...Live!'s cover cuts off Mr. Game & Watch's portrait, and blatantly at that. Everybody else's portrait is fully visible, but his isn't. His position in general seems to invite this since he's above the rest of the characters. There's plenty of open space for him to be where he can't get wantonly cut off. Even still, it's very easy to get him to fit within the frame.
LOOK, SULLEY, I'M ON A CD'S ALBUM ART

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
So I was playing against a ROB online, and I fell off the stage and like anyone else I went and recovered using Fire, and while the ROB was still on stage, I hit him with the last frame(s?) of Fire before the parachute came out and he ended up getting killed at 110%. I don't know if anyone has had any similar situations so I thought I'd share.
Three questions: was the ROB stage spiked (I'm thinking no from your info), what was your percent, and was ROB charging a smash attack? That still sounds like a really low KO percent, but characters are knocked further if they're charging a smash attack.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Played several local matches today and won all of them. Also, it seems Judge #8 can reflect Samus's missiles (don't know about the other numbers). The person I fought said that G&W was an antizoning character with very strong aerial and close-up games with multihit attacks. The windboxes in his uair and dtilt also kept throwing him off.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He's UAir: The character in singles too. :p

I got to play Vermanubis quite a bit tonight, and... man, it was pretty brutal. Barely won any games as Game & Watch (I won a few more with Villager). I'm pretty sure Verm is a superior player to me anyway, so it's hard to say just how bad the matchup is. Personally I think it's in Ganon's favor, a little more than slightly but less than devastating (so 40:60ish). Ganon's range and power toss poor Game & Watch around like a rag doll. Being especially vulnerable to Flame Choke doesn't help either. Fortunately we can juggle and gimp Ganon really well. The match I probably did the best in was when I tried sticking to the ground more. Usually I do fine in the air but it just wasn't cutting it against Verm.
I think the matchup is even, playing both characters.

G&W has really insanely good juggles and edgeguards on Ganon, but dies in like 5 hits. That's basically the jist of the matchup as far as I'm concerned.

On a custom setting though it's probably Ganon's favor because it becomes harder to gimp him when he runs WDK.

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
So I was playing with friends, when this happened. I still don't fully understand how I was able to pull it off.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I think the matchup is even, playing both characters.

G&W has really insanely good juggles and edgeguards on Ganon, but dies in like 5 hits. That's basically the jist of the matchup as far as I'm concerned.

On a custom setting though it's probably Ganon's favor because it becomes harder to gimp him when he runs WDK.
I'd agree with that. The matchup can quickly turn either way because of Ganon's susceptibility to juggles and Game & Watch's low weight. I think it's in Ganon's favor but not by much if it is. I just feel like Game & Watch has to work a little harder to stay safe.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey guys, just got back from my Apex trip

It was... terrible

just a super bad trip and super bad things happened

on the plus side, I got to use lots of GW in friendlies. I'm gonna use him more, this character has more potential than I thought and I actually got to try some stuff on people that worked.

but yeah anyway, i'll tell you guys about my rough weekend when i get a chance, I've got some things to take care of (like this popped tire on my car =/)

But yeah expect the matchup thread soon. We're gonna do 2 characters at a time, the top tiers (Or alleged top tiers) and whatever not necessarliy top tier character that is highly requested (maybe little mac, since he's common?)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Hey guys, just got back from my Apex trip

It was... terrible

just a super bad trip and super bad things happened

on the plus side, I got to use lots of GW in friendlies. I'm gonna use him more, this character has more potential than I thought and I actually got to try some stuff on people that worked.

but yeah anyway, i'll tell you guys about my rough weekend when i get a chance, I've got some things to take care of (like this popped tire on my car =/)

But yeah expect the matchup thread soon. We're gonna do 2 characters at a time, the top tiers (Or alleged top tiers) and whatever not necessarliy top tier character that is highly requested (maybe little mac, since he's common?)
So it was terrible but not because of Game & Watch? Well, that's good for our character, but sorry to hear about your trip. What happened that made it bad?

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I'd agree with that. The matchup can quickly turn either way because of Ganon's susceptibility to juggles and Game & Watch's low weight. I think it's in Ganon's favor but not by much if it is. I just feel like Game & Watch has to work a little harder to stay safe.
I main Ganon and G&W so I can shed some light on the king of darkness. Like you said, Big G can be juggled easily, but he also has some antijuggles like his dair and Wizard's Foot that can start a potentially deadly combo due to G&W's featherweight. He's also a surprisingly good edgeguarder with all of his airs, Ganoncide, and u-tilt. However, Ganondorf's recovery while buffed from Brawl is still not the best (also, wait for the end frames to edgeguard as the startup can grab you and give him another up b).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hey guys.
:gawmelee:
Guess what's finally out
:gw:
in the North American eShop.
:4gaw:

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Some general issue.

I just can't play well on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS. Mainly because I only get on the Wii U for only like two days a week.

The flow of the games are just...different.

Tried hand warmups on training where I did some strings before going on FG, only to get wrecked and play a significantly noobish type of playstyle. I just couldn't put up a good fight like I should.

Guess I can blame this on the lack of practice, but besides that, how else can I "transfer" my skill over?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Hello. I'm a Mr.G&W fan that also enjoys playing some old GW games. (The Gallery ones anyway...)
Here's a good G&W mod stage of Parachute.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Some general issue.

I just can't play well on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS. Mainly because I only get on the Wii U for only like two days a week.

The flow of the games are just...different.

Tried hand warmups on training where I did some strings before going on FG, only to get wrecked and play a significantly noobish type of playstyle. I just couldn't put up a good fight like I should.

Guess I can blame this on the lack of practice, but besides that, how else can I "transfer" my skill over?
Well, I don't own the 3DS version of the game (nor a 3DS), but I'll try to help. How often are you able to play the game? In other words, are you limiting yourself to playing the Wii U version only twice a week? Are there other times where you are doing nothing and could be polishing your skills on the Wii U game? Other than that, maybe pick a few select characters, one being G&W, and only focus on getting better with those characters, so you can make the time that you're able to play worth while. Then, you should have a good 3-5 mains that you can go to whenever, including G&W. That's kinda my strategy, I pick a few characters I like, and focus on getting better with them. I'm good with all characters, but I'm at my best with those few select characters. Hope this helps. Sorry I can't really get in to all the technical competitive G&W stuff, I play more casually and usually only against CPU opponents since I don't really have anyone to play against every day.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
questions
Only twice a week due to my unfavorable share of being busy and parental authority. I'm one of those that can only pretty much use the big console on weekends. I do have like 8 other characters that I can decently use for the sake of archetypes.

Guess I'll have to work it out lol.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Only twice a week due to my unfavorable share of being busy and parental authority. I'm one of those that can only pretty much use the big console on weekends. I do have like 8 other characters that I can decently use for the sake of archetypes.

I hear ya when you say you're too busy. That sucks, man. But ya, looks like you'll need to find help elsewhere. Sorry bout that.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

What's your controller? I'm still getting adjusted to the Classic Controller (the big issue has been messing up side-B and Down-B inputs lol) but I'm mostly there. I think it just takes some time to get used to a bigger controller.

Top Bottom