• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multiple vine whips??

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
Here's a question I thought of earlier for you brawlers to hopefully try and answer for me. I saw in an Olimar thread that he can use his ^B up to three times as long as the first two hit the opponent. I'm wondering if this applies to Ivysaur as well.

Also, if it does apply to Ivysaur, are you able to VW an edgehogging opponent to knock him off and then VW again to grab the ledge? I asked a similar question in the Olimar thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Plus I'm more of a Pokemon fan than a Pikmin fan anyways :chuckle:

tacticslord

Smash Rookie
I've only ever vine-whipped a person who was edge-guarding once and I wasn't able to whip again to recover so I don't think it's possible

Card

Smash Lord
Here's a question I thought of earlier for you brawlers to hopefully try and answer for me. I saw in an Olimar thread that he can use his ^B up to three times as long as the first two hit the opponent. I'm wondering if this applies to Ivysaur as well.

Also, if it does apply to Ivysaur, are you able to VW an edgehogging opponent to knock him off and then VW again to grab the ledge? I asked a similar question in the Olimar thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Plus I'm more of a Pokemon fan than a Pikmin fan anyways :chuckle:
There is a misunderstanding somewhere...

After using an Aerial Vine-Whip, Ivysaur enters a "Free-fall" state and cannot perform any action until touching the ground. This applies whether Ivysaur hit the opponent or not with the Vine-Whip as well.

After hearing your statement on Olimar I decided to check things myself. I did some tests and Olimar's Pikmin Chain has the exact same properties as Ivysaur's Vine-Whip. After using an Aerial-Up+B Olimar enters a Free-fall state just like Ivysaur, whether he hit the opponent with the Up+B or not.

Somewhere there is a confusion with Olimar's recovery.

I think there might be a misunderstanding with Tether Stalling 3-times. I wrote about it in my guide;

Another interesting thing I found about this Tether Recovery; I call it Anti-Tether Stalling.
Ivysaur can only grab an edge 3 times with Vine-Whip. Any time she tries to vine whip an edge a 4th+ time, the Vine will extend, touch the edge, but then deflect off leaving Ivysaur to free fall once again. This mechanic applies to ALL Tether Recoveries in the game, and I assume it was put in place because Tether recoveries grab the ledge extremely fast, and it causes players to stall the game with invincibility frames. Luckily though, If you land anywhere on the stage, the 3-limit counter will reset back to 0, and you may vine-whip the edge another 3 times. Nothing to really complain about, since this actually HELPS the game and doesn't allow lamers to just stall the edge.
This Anti-Tether Stall applies to All characters with Tether Recoveries, including Olimar.
When they say Olimar can do his Up+B 3 times, they must be referring to this Edge stall, because after a 4th time Olimar won't grab the ledge.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
I see... I guess I did just misunderstand it. Thanks for clearing things up for me Card, though I am disappointed with the results :) :(

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
I'm maining Olimar. Trust me, you can't do that. The only reason it's still worth hitting an edgeguarder is because hitting the Pikmin Chain is a spike in that situation.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Weird. I thought Olimar and Zero Suit Samus could throw their aerial up+B repeatedly. I know Ivysaur can't though.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
Zamus can use UpB repeatedly, even in the air. Ivysaur and Olimar can't, they enter freefall.

Which is bad design on the developers' part. Zamus has another attack to use for a semi-recovery, the others don't. If any of them should be able to use it multiple times, it should be Ivysaur and Olimar.

Livetopwn247

Smash Rookie
I really just wish that tether recoveries could catch ledges even if someone is occupying it...

Or even just tethers that latch onto the stage itself instead of only locking-on to edges. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have to attempt to counter those edgehoggers by using Ivysaur's razor leaf and Olimar's pikmin throw to make them move. The expert usage of those moves could mean life or death.

Top Bottom