• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Faso115

Smash Lord
Remind me, was the guard as spawn from Bugs silly crouch ability?

Cause he is and i totally forgot about that, then good **** PFG, you got me.

Otherwise, WTH IS THAT CHARACTER CHOICE LOL

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Serious talk: I'd unironically would love to have Johnny Bravo, he's one of my most wanteds right now so having him now would be perfect.

Not sure how to feel about Banana Guard tho, if he's actually coming.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
hmmm, the PvE mode is definitely interesting and it looks like they put work behind it! I remember that a lot of complaints about Multiversus' first launch was that they had very restricted gameplay outside of online PvP. So the addition of this mode plus the confirmation of couch FFA of 1-4 players is making me a bit more optimistic about the game.

I figured they might have been saving one or two more characters until launch. If we're going by the alphabet theory, Barbie and Johnny Bravo seem like solid picks, though I'd definitely prefer Audrey 2 and Jasper. I don't think adding a joke character while the game's reputation is this shaky will work well for them lol.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
COPE THEORY: The placeholder slots are named after franchises and not characters. So instead of Banana we are getting Marceline becomes Adventure Time comes before Batman and after....Aarya stark /s

Best i can do :p

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Banana Guard getting in before Marceline would certainly be one of the choices of all time

I don't know if it's a good one but it's certainly ****ing hilarious after a year of silence

Louie G.

Smash Hero
One way or another, it makes sense. If it's a joke character then it's an easy use of pre-existing assets since IIRC they were already a summon. If it's a prank then the same can be said, the model already exists so it wouldn't be exerting too much effort toward the bit.

I'm just going to assume for now that it is in fact a playable character, since they've been making weird banana puns on Twitter over the past few days.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
COPE THEORY: The placeholder slots are named after franchises and not characters. So instead of Banana we are getting Marceline becomes Adventure Time comes before Batman and after....Aarya stark /s

Best i can do :p
Actually, you may be onto something with the placeholder spot theory:

Looking at the image again, the game calls up Batman’s info with the Banana Guard model.

Plus, although it shows “Adventure Time” as the series with Batman’s name, the game calls the Banana Guard “Human”. I assume the tags such as Human will be used for challenges (other games do similar things), but unless that’s actually a man wearing a Banana costume, then it is likely a placeholder to hide the identity of another character.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Yeah the big smoking gun is the banana teasers, And now Papagenos comment, i'm sorry MVS bros but shenanigans are afoot

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Banana Guard “Human”. I assume the tags such as Human will be used for challenges (other games do similar things), but unless that’s actually a man wearing a Banana costume, then it is likely a placeholder to hide the identity of another character.
Banana Guards aren't human but are human shaped enough without a peel, I guess.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Looking at the image again, the game calls up Batman’s info with the Banana Guard model.
Yeah about that...

I downloaded the video and looked at each frame, and right before it changes to Batman's name, it indeed says Banana Guard (it's very blurry tho)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Banana Guard is simultaneously a hilarious and poorly timed joke that I loop around to being not okay with it, to being okay with it.

But honestly, the Banana Guard thing is such an obvious editing mistake that I almost wonder if it was an intentional misdirect.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
See that’s fine I just don’t think he should have been a relaunch character, especially after they dangled the Powerpuff Girls in front of our faces.
Yeah that's the odd part. My current guess is they're meant to be like, the first post-launch characters, since they were still teased in the Joker trailer.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I just find it hilarious the flip-flopping.

"This sucks. It's only old characters. They better show us something new!"

"Yeah, Joker's hype and all, but we already knew he was coming anyway. They better show us a NEW new character we haven't been told about!"

Banana Guard
"WHAT THE **** IS THIS?!"

Monkey Paws in full effect.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I do think most likely the Banana Guard is a placeholder character, not intended to be playable. Alternatively, they absolutely could just be ****ing with us because this marketing team is absolutely insane, so you know.

But no cap, now is not the time for a joke character. The game is already on thin ice with it's reputation. If you can't even get three real characters done in a years time, then the game might as well be dead.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Welp, I guess Banana Guard is confirmed after all lol. I wonder what their moveset's going to be...

Whatever it is, they will most likely be overpowered as hell. The Bananadeptus Custodes are the hand-crafted personal guardians of the God-Empress Bubblegum after all.
golden_grimdark_banana_guards_by_the_general_moe_dcs71bw-pre.jpg

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I just find it hilarious the flip-flopping.

"This sucks. It's only old characters. They better show us something new!"

"Yeah, Joker's hype and all, but we already knew he was coming anyway. They better show us a NEW new character we haven't been told about!"

"WHAT THE **** IS THIS?!"
People can want something new and also want a character they give a **** about, those two aren't mutually exclusive. I for one hate Piranha Plant. Newcomer or otherwise I think he was a stupid, borderline insulting decision for Smash. This would trigger the same reaction from me, though admittedly much less severe because I don't have a lot of goodwill built up towards Multiversus. This would just be another bad decision in a sea full of mind boggling choices they've made to me

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
People can want something new and also want a character they give a **** about, those two aren't mutually exclusive. I for one hate Piranha Plant. Newcomer or otherwise I think he was a stupid, borderline insulting decision for Smash. This would trigger the same reaction from me, though admittedly much less severe because I don't have a lot of goodwill built up towards Multiversus. This would just be another bad decision in a sea full of mind boggling choices they've made to me
If Plant is "insulting", you need thicker skin, to be honest.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This game is cooked if their priority is a joke Banana Guard character after a year of silence.
I think that's just the thing. It ISN'T a "priority."

It's a quick joke character that's entirely done with asset reuse, since it was a summon in the beta. So very few resources went into it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This game is cooked if their priority is a joke Banana Guard character after a year of silence.
To be fair, I don't know if it's the "priority" so much as it was easy enough to get out for launch. Powerpuff Girls are virtually confirmed and don't seem to be launch characters, so they're probably just coming within a week or two after. I don't have a lot of stake in this game personally, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt a bit to recognize they're probably storing up a season's worth of new characters to drip feed over the span of a couple months.

I don't think what they're doing right now is the best look for launch either, I expected a bit more, but they're obviously looking beyond that. Sustaining interest will be just as important (or moreso) as getting everyone to play immediately when it drops. The PVE mode is a pretty impressive reveal in its own right and having that kind of single player option in a F2P game is at least some pretty good news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom