• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
It's known as Oboro Muramasa in Japan, and it will be released in Japan next month (I believe the 9th). It will be released here in the US in June or July.

Well anyway, it's a crazy-stylish game based heavily on stylized Japanese mythology. I personally love it already because of the epic artwork. EVERYTHING in this game was drawn by hand. It's a Wii exclusive and I personally believe it is one of the better third party games (made by the makers of Odin's Sphere and Chrono trigger?)

Almost every single creature and NPC in this game has roots somewhere in Japanese mythology. It's absolutely insane.

Your character has two swords, a short sword and a long sword. The short one is faster, but the long one is stronger. Each sword in the game has its own special ability and a story behind it. Sources say there will be over 100 swords in the game. Imagine the possibilities. There are also standard special moves your character can use depending on what kind of sword you are wielding. A short sword can do a standard special that launches columns of rising blue flames, and the long sword has a standard special that creates clones of yourself that whirl through the air with copies of the sword to deal damage to enemies. I heard something about upgrading swords, but I don't know the details yet.

As you perform sword specials, block, and attack, your sword loses durability. If it breaks you'll have to switch weapons and wait until it repairs itself. Boss attacks tend to break swords in just a few hits. I don't know what happens when both your swords break.

There are only two playable characters I think, and there seem to be no difference except looks, but I can't be sure.

Anyways, watch this. You will love it. Don't complain about 'bad' graphics. Remember, everything was drawn by hand. Graphics has got nothing to do with it. Just because it isn't 3-D doesn't mean it's bad. If you don't like 2-D, you probably won't like this. If you like Japan, you will probably like this. If you hate 2-D and like Japan, then....you can decide for yourself.

http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/wii/oboromuramasa/movie/index.html

^^^ That's the official Japanese site. There's no English site yet, but http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/oboromuramasayoutoden/news.html?sid=6198987 shows some pretty decent movies of gameplay.

I'm definitely grabbing this as soon as it is released in the US.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Looks pretty fun to play. I'll be picking this up if it come to the US for sure :3

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I'm anticipating this one so much. I can't wait until it comes out. When it does and I get it, I'll probably play nothing but this for a few months. The disc will not leave the Wii unless I feel like playing Brawl.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Any idea on a US release date? I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Original art direction in games is a +++ from me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"Bad Graphics"...

I don't see why someone would say that...

That's some of the BEST sprite animation I have seen in a game...

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well some people I've shown this to said it had 'bad graphics' and that it looked like something that could've been on N64 or something. I was like....well DUH! It's hand-fricken-drawn. It looks good because it's hand drawn. Things don't have to look 3-D and realistic to look good. Some people just think it looks bad for some reason.

I heard this will be released in the US some time in June or July. I don't know what day, but if I find out, I'll post it up.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Why NOT on the Wii? I'd like to see as much detail on such a good looking game as I can. Plus, I don't think they'd devote so much time and labor (drawing EVERYTHING by hand) just to make a game on handheld. Their previous games seem to have also all been on consoles, not handhelds.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I too am not particularly happy with the idea of paying 60 USD for a 2D game on the wii for some reason...

Reason I dislike Wario Land Shake, or whatever it is called.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Well, Wario Land Shake was not completely HAND DRAWN. You MUST ABSOLUTELY understand how intense this is. It's not easy. I for one think it's easily the best looking Wii game I've seen. And where are you buying your games? lol I only paid a little over 40 for my copy of Brawl.

You have to appreciate the artwork and concept to really like this game. What's wrong with 2-D anyway? You don't get this type of quality artwork in 3-D. You can't.

Preorder prices are around 45 dollars, apparently.

HT27

Smash Cadet
Pricing for a game shouldn't really be reason to 'dislike' it; just because Wario Land: Shake It may be overpriced (which, I agree, it is), shouldn't detract from the fact that it may be a good gaming experience. Regardless of whatever pricing Muramasa eventually gets here, it shouldn't be written off solely because of the price. For what it is - an original exclusive with very distinct style and background - Muramasa looks promising. I think that even if it does get the same pricing as Wario Land, $50, it still could be far better and thus far more worth the money.

Lemonwater, you said that you can't get this kind of quality artwork in 3D, just curious if you've tried Okami for PS2 or Wii? It's good. :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Price is the sole reason I haven't been involved as much in this gaming generation as I've wanted to be...

I WANT an XBOX 360, but in order to get one I have to sacrifice my life with friends. I WANT Fable 2 and Halo 3, Castle Crashers, and that live action Tank game on the XBOX download thing...but I can't get it. I can't get it because no one is hiring for jobs, and I am "In between jobs".

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I've heard of Okami. Maybe I'll try that out as well. 45 dollars is affordable. Gaming is only expensive if you buy/play a lot of games. I only play Brawl. Buying one game isn't a big deal for me lol

HT27

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I agree that games in general are a bit overpriced. 50 and 60 for most new titles is really a lot of money, that much is true, and I agree in that if they were priced 10 or 20 dollars less, I'd certainly also be buying more games than I do. As it is, though, I still try to set aside a few bucks here and there for the really good games that tend to get high pricing...

Lemonwater, you should try Okami. Keep an eye out online, etc - I've seen Amazon selling it for as low as 19.99 at times with free shipping, and I've seen it used for 25 a lot

...and I'm done being off-topic :p

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I see. I will definitely buy it then. Mario Kart was a waste of money lol

I can't wait to see all the specials of all the swords. And who knows what other crazy enemies they will come up with?

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Update: Gamestop changed the pre-order shipping date to 7-15-09! It is an even longer wait now. It's truly a terrible turn of events.

!$@#$% Double post, sorry...

HT27

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's out next month in Japan though. The wiki page for the game says that date too. Though, with games being so expensive as they are, a delay might be good :p

Mario Kart was indeed a waste of money, not really worth the 50

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, I think I got my money's worth out of Mario Kart.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Mario Kart was worth the money, although not by much.

It is the wii's best online, and it came with a periferal I can use with Exitebots (if I get it).

Also, I kinda liked the fact that luck played such an important role. It made the games more interesting than when they were almost completely predictable (for me).

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I will probably give away my copy of Mario Kart as a gift. I have two copies. I won one from a small Brawl tourney lol. Maybe I should sell both copies and get my 50 back...or maybe a gift is a good idea...I dunno.

Either way, I know Muramasa is better than Mario Kart (IMO) and it costs less, so it should be worth it.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Sorry to bump a 3-month-old topic, but I just saw this trailer for the game, and it looks AMAZING! I really want it!

Was there any mention of it at E3 so far?

--Blues--

Smash Rookie
I saw this game a while back on the ONM Website, and absolutely loved it! It's one of the two best looking games I've seen all year, and I seems like it will play like a dream, what with all the work that's going into it!

This is, truly, a first day buy for me, as I love Japan history, 2D Hack 'n' Slash platformers, and the brilliant handdrawn graphics!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I saw it at e3 and chose not to play it, because I know im going to get it and I hate "ruining" games I know i'm going to love.

I couldnt find a person who said they didnt like it. The game is going to be awesome, period. Odin Sphere that focuses more on action. (Im so hoping the story is on par with Odin Sphere's, cause well, that'd be too **** good)

One thing I personally did like about it was that the game allows cube/classic/wiimote controls, but they're making the wiimote controls out to be a "last resort" option. (Thank god).

__

Completely random sidenote, I scored a limited edition poster autographed by creator of the game. I'd tell you his name but I definitely cant read japanese. >.>

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
Graphics =/= 3D. Anyone who says that this doesn't look good deserves to have their eyes stabbed (the characters could probably do it). It being handrawn only means that the people who spent their time drawing it deserve more praise.

This game looks and sounds quite good. It's amusing.

And it seems to be situated in the middle of Japanese Folklore. Nice. That's good taste.

The Music is Epic, and Every Slash and Grunt and Groan increases my Pulse.

So, it's going to Smell Good (New Game Smell, for the win), It already looks and sounds good, and it was made with Good Taste. 4 of the 5 Senses are already pleased. I MUST PLAY THIS SO THAT I MAY FEEL GOOD!

This game looks awesome. When should I be stalkishly waiting outside of GameStop to get this in America?

Also, I rather like Princess Momo. She sounds cute. And Cute Chicks + Swords = Awesomesauce.

:flame:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I would like to bump this thread because this game of course scored the hands on review:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1012109p1.html

Anyone who say Wii doesn't have an epic title this year hasn't looked at this game, I'm most definitely getting this game and rep it at the proses as much as I can.

nevershootme

Smash Master
copied from another thread on game discussion

i've been playing Muramasa: The Demon Blade (japanese version)... and it's been too awesome and mindless fun. I just wish there were translations for all the special attacks for each blade associated as u collect. so if you like Odin Sphere (or ever herad of it) then you'll like this game (which are the same developers for muramasa). which is obvious by looking at the graphics... oh and the replay value kicks in alot just from

I wonder if there's the ultimate ending like odin sphere (where u finish all characters stories and there's the final one)... well imma keep playing to find out lol

I can bet it will end up in the bargin bin cuz no one has a **** clue about the game and failing to realize the sheer work put into a game designed for fun

derek.haines

Smash Ace
This game looks--to toss around an overused phrase--absolutely hardcore. This game, along with some of the other recent entries, is really getting me excited about the Wii. It's been a while since I was really excited, but **** if it isn't a good time to own one.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a graphics fan but this game looks ultra turbo kawaii

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Momohime only having a towel FTW.... O_o

I almost spoiled myself and watch the Japanese copy, but I realize that four weeks isn't very long afterwords.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I'm really surprised this game isn't getting much attention around here. This game is suppose to be the best game on the Wii this year. I wonder what would the rest of the would rate it? It is 34/40 on Famitsu and currently 8/10 on GameStates. I don't know if I should get this game in Japanese or English? ♥

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
^It's a 3rd party game on a Nintendo system. Of course it won't be getting much attention.

*waits for him*

Top Bottom