• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music helps you play better????

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
okay so, it doesnt work with everybody, my cousin tried it. but it did work with em and my friend, and obviously the one who told me.

I noticed that when music is in your ears, by which i mean headphones, I play better. I think i have an idea of why to. I have noticed that when im doing both(music and smash), i just sort of zone out...not from the music itsself, but b/c i cant hear anything BUT the music. Everything i do is on impulse. not really any thinking involved. I get more focused into the music then into the game. So as a result, Your mind goes into default, acting purely on impulse and memory. If it doesnt make sense to anyone ill try and break it down a bit but...try it.

(i will post a duplicate in the melee tactical section)

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
It makes me play better because it brings me in the mood.

Wait, you mean music seperate from the game? I never do that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't have Music playing usually, except for friendlies and maybe if I am bored waiting for my match to start. I have noticed that my play style is a lot more reckless/flashy/aggressive than when I don't have something playing.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Listening to music is bad for you, the big majority of moves in fighting games have distinct sounds. Listening to music causes you to not hear those subtle cues for a character.

For example a while ago i was playing a friendly with a falcon, and had headphones on. I noticed that I kept getting hit by Falcon Kick alot more than usual, and I kinda lost 2 games, well after my playlist was done I took off the headphones cause I was tiredof listening to music. Thereafter I was rarely hit by falcon kick, and went back to 2 stocking his falcon.
That is just one example, another is fox/falco's illusion, I have powershielded and punished because I heard the sound of the attack rather than seeing the animation.
There are many other examples that can be produced for those reasons.

Although this doesnt deal with the music part, it does deal with the brawl sounds. At night when I am supposed to be asleep, I like to play some wifi for fun with out my parents knowing (Shhhhhhhhhh), so I turn off the sound. I have noticed that I play much worse in silence, that when I have sound.

This may not apply to you in particular, but whether you know it or not, on a subconscience level you use the cues in game to play better and react more smoothly.

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
For example a while ago i was playing a friendly with a falcon, and had headphones on. I noticed that I kept getting hit by Falcon Kick alot more than usual, and I kinda lost 2 games, well after my playlist was done I took off the headphones cause I was tiredof listening to music. Thereafter I was rarely hit by falcon kick, and went back to 2 stocking his falcon.
That is just one example, another is fox/falco's illusion, I have powershielded and punished because I heard the sound of the attack rather than seeing the animation.
^^ That's why you listen to music before your match starts

stratele

Smash Apprentice
It helps for me. Whenever i'm on green hill zome and His world or live and learn plays. I'm like better.

I wish you could play your own music on the wii, and on brawl. But I might just start using headphones, or play it on a stereo or something.

Ill experiment with it next time I go online

Pokemon Mystery

Smash Cadet
Yes,it makes me dance around then bump into friends then they lose control of their charcter because of the fall XD.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
It makes me play better because it brings me in the mood.
Thats it. Some Music can be a help for some people to get more stressed and hence helps to concentrate.

But in the most cases, there is more a contrary effect - it distracts you.

If you *really* want to win a specific game, music cannot help you.

Its just a psychical/motivation thing.

Edit: By the way, some Themes of Smash Brothers do this really well - e.g. the Fantastic "Metaknights Revenge" Theme :) - imo, Themes like this are better to play to then some Evil Deathmetal Music or so (aggression is not the thing you need playing smash bros.).

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the music. Fast paced, metal, etc music would be good while PVPing in World of Warcraft, since it stimulates your adrenaline. Calmer music would probably help in a game like Brawl, where it's more oriented to out-thinking your opponents than having fast reactions and excecution.

Shade487z

Smash Cadet
A while back, music (especially rap) really helped my playing style. And that's still true, to an extent, as it drowns out distractions from my usually loud family. Recently, though, I've learned that if it's completely silent in my room (including Brawl itself) my level of focus increases expotentially and I can make a comeback like never before. Seriously, I once ripped my headphones out of my ears in dramatic fashion when this guy was up by 3 stocks and came back and beat him like he stole something.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Some music gives you adrenaline.
Some adrenaline helps you play better.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I say most of the music from the Haliberd stage helps me play better, since kirby music seems to put me in the "Intelligent, calculating" machine mood, but thats just me.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Listening to music is bad for you, the big majority of moves in fighting games have distinct sounds. Listening to music causes you to not hear those subtle cues for a character.

Although this doesnt deal with the music part, it does deal with the brawl sounds. At night when I am supposed to be asleep, I like to play some wifi for fun with out my parents knowing (Shhhhhhhhhh), so I turn off the sound. I have noticed that I play much worse in silence, that when I have sound.

This may not apply to you in particular, but whether you know it or not, on a subconscience level you use the cues in game to play better and react more smoothly.
I agree with this guy. I think what would be most helpful is if you listen to the Brawl audio(perhaps find someway to plug in headphones to the speakers) so that way you can block out all outside noises (trash talk) and still be able to listen to what is going on in the game.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
You should never, ever play a game of brawl or melee relying solely on instinct and reaction. You have to adapt. Whoever can read the other player and react the quickest is probably going to be the winner.

IceMg1k

Smash Rookie
Listening to Meta Ridley on Frigate Orpheon gets me in the mood to fight.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
personally music helps me, i'm the only person at toruny's that has ear phones in when they play :D but it allows me to not hear anything others around me are saying which could be a distraction.. i normally listen to things with fast beats, it helps me focus, my reflexes are normally faster sense they move with the beat, and my mood tends to stay neutral which is a plus. i actually can't play serious with out music now which is funny, i suggest it to anyone that listens to music while they read or do homework, because its a similar effect

-Gambit-

Smash Apprentice
I actually listen to music during my matches, as anyone who has been to a tourney knows that it gets pretty loud. And I cant concentrate in this noise. I usually put on some soft trance which keeps me calm and focused during my matches. When playing snake I usually don't listen thou because their are some sound cues that you just need to hear. "NOW!!"

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman

Actually, I do beleive you are right that this would happen to me. But...not in my bedroom.

why? B/c my TV is acceptionally small...i think is 14 inch......roughly the size of an average monitor.

MY POINT BEING...I can see every little detail that is going on.

reading this just made me overcook my noodles...

Zench

Smash Cadet
i use to turn of the game music and only leave the sounds on, then i have other music on my speakers.
It make me focus more on the game and i feel epic. I'd say it works.
I get so tired of the same music for every match, so i need a little variation.
And there is no side effects

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
mm...well, like i said. it doesnt work for everyone.
it works for me though...i onwed a very good wolf on yoshi's island with lucario.
i had never beat him in a full twice in a row on yoshis island b4 that

BA-Leif

Smash Cadet
well i have to listen to music when im lpaying ...but usually i turn off the music of SSBB and listen to my own music

the good thing about it is that you can turn on music that fits best to fighting...instead of ..the "pizza song" or the braintrain music xD

but when the music stops (because of annoing bonus tracks where u got one tracknumber but after the last song 10minutes silence before the "hidden" track starts) im quite bad ..taking more hits than normal until the "hidden track" starts or til i press skip track manually -.-

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if u ever played a shooting game, u NEED to listen carefully. footsteps, where shots are comming from ect

in this game some moves and things can be dodged or predicted. -_- imagine like MKs foward smash. hes goes humph before he slashes. if u were looking at ur char. and listening to music you woulndt know and get hit...

as dumb as brawl is, some music is pretty dam epic in this game

JLynn943

Smash Ace
if I really want to focus on a match, I can't have music. music just makes me play overly aggressive.

If I couldn't hear Snake's sound cues, I'd do even worse against him

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
If your mind is in 5 million places at the current moment/you are in a distracted or bad or w/e mood/etc, then you're better off with music because it can help you take your mind off of all of those other things and try to focus in on Brawl. But, when your mind is normally functioning, then music can be distracting; you aren't thinking of the next smartest tactical move at lightning speed like you need to, as the music will actually distract you and slow down your thought process...and every moment is vital in a fast-paced game like Brawl (well, fast-paced in comparison to something like FFX).

At least that's my experience. I have tried both with and without outside music.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The Credits remix in Brawl on Final Destination gets me in the mood while Brawling with others. But I just hope it's not music that makes me perform better because I wouldn't like that. Why? Because there are some songs I dislike on Brawl and I hope that doesn't effect the way I play.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
If your mind is in 5 million places at the current moment/you are in a distracted or bad or w/e mood/etc, then you're better off with music because it can help you take your mind off of all of those other things and try to focus in on Brawl. But, when your mind is normally functioning, then music can be distracting; you aren't thinking of the next smartest tactical move at lightning speed like you need to, as the music will actually distract you and slow down your thought process...and every moment is vital in a fast-paced game like Brawl (well, fast-paced in comparison to something like FFX).

At least that's my experience. I have tried both with and without outside music.
mm...yeah, that has always been a problem...things always race through my mind. anything from why the sky is blue to what im doing the next day

Grime

Smash Rookie
but when the music stops (because of annoing bonus tracks where u got one tracknumber but after the last song 10minutes silence before the "hidden" track starts) im quite bad ..taking more hits than normal until the "hidden track" starts or til i press skip track manually -.-
Mix sets, my friend!

I turn Brawl's music off and listen to single MP3s that are around 60-78 minutes long on the computer (subwoofer speakers FTW). The tracks are all merged seamlessly together with no breaks between, and they keep the same rhythm/mood throughout. I much prefer this to listening to random songs. I find I'll get distracted as a song ends because I'm wondering which one will come on next. With mixes, that's never a problem.

Back to the main topic; I haven't played with and without music enough to get a good idea of how it affects my gameplay yet. I only know that I enjoy it lot more.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
whats wrong w/ in-game music?

i think it would be distracting...especially if ur listening to like hip hop or rap

K64

Smash Apprentice
Music from Nintendo and Square Enix is sure to work for me sometimes. It's good pep music for the stupid stuff I have to go through all the time.

Uffe

Smash Hero
whats wrong w/ in-game music?

i think it would be distracting...especially if ur listening to like hip hop or rap
I think you should just listen to the music on the game and not off your television set. Because if you're listening to some Heavy Metal or Trance I doubt that's really going to help. Also the music in the video game isn't louder than the SFX.

Top Bottom