• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Muskegon House Tournament: RED Edition - June 15th, 2013 - Muskegon, MI

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Hey, there! In spite of a West Michigan Circuit not having happened so far this Summer, I decided to try and get the ball rolling by hosting my very first tournament! I present you with REDfest, a tournament to heighten skills, hand out advice, pass some salt around, and raise some hype! I want to see West Michigan continue to grow and become more of a force to reckon with in smash bros. To anyone interested in traveling out to this that isn't in West Michigan, I believe I speak for everyone when I say we'd appreciate as much skillful players as we can gather. With that said, let's make this happen!

-Red :004:

TO Staff
Red
MoneyMatchMike

Venue Fee: $5
Melee Singles: $5
P:M Doubles: $5 ($10/Team)
P:M Singles: $5

**A Venue Fee will not be required from those who bring setups.

Schedule
12:00pm Event Starts (friendlies) - Bracket Registration BEGINS
-----
1:00pm Melee Bracket Registration ENDS
1:30pm Melee Singles
-----
4:00 Project: M Doubles Bracket Registration ENDS
4:30pm Project: M Doubles
-----
6:30 Project: M Singles Bracket Registration ENDS
7:00 Project: M Singles
-----
Party Time! :yeahboi:

Parking/Food
The venue is on a one-way street, and you can park just past the house in a parking lot on the left. If you have any troubles finding it or need somewhere else, speak with me and I'll figure something out for you.

Snacks/Drinks will be provided, but there are many restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive as well as gas stations. If you need any specifics, I'll be glad to let you know where everything is.

General Rules
- Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late to your set, you will lose the first match. If you are more than 10 minutes late to your set, you lose the set.
- Bracket matches take priority over friendlies and money matches. The TO reserves the right to prematurely end any match.
- Players are responsible for their own equipment and property. The TO is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Wireless controllers are discouraged due to interference and unreliability.
- Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.
- Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
- Any hacks or mods applied to a setup may be inspected by a TO, who reserves the right to have those hacks disabled if they are deemed inappropriate for tournament play.

Melee and Project: M Rules
- Items set to OFF and NONE.
- 4 stock, 8:00 timer.
- Sets are played best two out of three, with all Semi-Finals and Finals matches being played best three of five.
- Double blind character pick if either player requests so.
- Best of one Rock Paper Scissors for port priority if requested.
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: Players may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
- Gentleman's Clause: Players may play on any stage if agreed on by all players.
- If a match times out, winner is determined by stock, and then percentage. If both stock and percentage are the same, play a one stock, three minute game with the same characters and stage.
- If Sudden Death occurs, play a one stock, three minute game with the same characters and stage.

Playing a Set
1. Best of one Rock Paper Scissors for port priority if requested.
2. Double Blind character selection if requested.
3. Highest port priority strikes first.
4. Strike order: 1-2-2-1
[Play Game]
5. Winner bans 1 (Melee) or 4 (Project: M) stages. Bans apply for only one game.
6. Winner selects character.
7. Loser selects character and stage.
8. Repeat steps 5-8 until set is complete.

Melee-specific rules
- Stage strike order: 1221
- Bans: Winner may ban one stage per game.

Melee Stages
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Dreamland 64
- Pokemon Stadium (counterpick only)
- Kongo Jungle 64 (counterpick only)

Project: M-specific rules
- Input assist OFF.
- If the match ends due to a suicide move (e.g. Ganon's side-B; DDD's swallow; etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
- Stage strike order: 1221
- Bans: Winner may ban 4 stages per game.

Project: M Stages
Starter
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Norfair
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Smashville
- Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick
- Dracula's Castle
- Yoshi's Island
- Metal Cavern
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Rumble Falls
- Skyloft

Doubles
- Remove WarioWare, Metal Cavern, Fountain of Dreams, and Yoshi's Story from available stages.
- Add Kongo Jungle 64 and SSE: Jungle.
- SSE: Jungle replaces WarioWare as a starter.

TO Contact Info
Red: PM RED6 on Smashboards or e-mail me at Chet.DeLano@Hotmail.com

RED6

Smash Apprentice
BTW, can anyone tell me how to make this a Midwest Tourney on here? xD

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to get some of my novice scrub friends to attend this so with any luck this can pose as their first introduction to not just the Smash scene but the fighting game community in general. I'll have a 360 on me with SkullGirls, UMvC3, and SSFIV:AE if anyone is interested in playing any of those; this is of course assuming that there's a spare TV not having Smash played on it.

JTsm

Smash Master
I'll bring a set up. <3

Also, shouldn't the striking order be 1221 instead of "Stage strike order: 122112"

RED6

Smash Apprentice
I'll bring a set up. <3

Also, shouldn't the striking order be 1221 instead of "Stage strike order: 122112"
Sweet! <3
&& Honestly, I have no idea. I took Root's offer and stole a lot from his Lake Effect I page lolol.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
With the proper variety of stages that PM has, neutrals should be entirely neutral.

Yoshi's Island is not completely neutral and should be removed from the starter list (unless they put the Island platforms on a timer in this game that I am unaware of).

Edit: Even number of stages messes up striking. Not that I really care about the ruleset, but the ruleset should be completely objective. In that case, I see no reason to not replace Island with Norfair as a neutal. Norfair's platforms (correct me if I am wrong) move on a timer and is therefore equally neutral to Smashville and Green Hill. If you don't like Norfair, strike it.

Is there a reason for the strike order? It's confusing. Is there anything wrong with 1-2-2-1?

JTsm

Smash Master
Yeah some CP's can be counted as neutrals like what Lordy mentioned, but I really don't mind the stage-list we use.

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Went through and tried to adjust the stage list. Does that work?

Artificial Flavour

Smash Apprentice
With the proper variety of stages that PM has, neutrals should be entirely neutral.

Yoshi's Island is not completely neutral and should be removed from the starter list (unless they put the Island platforms on a timer in this game that I am unaware of).

Edit: Even number of stages messes up striking. Not that I really care about the ruleset, but the ruleset should be completely objective. In that case, I see no reason to not replace Island with Norfair as a neutal. Norfair's platforms (correct me if I am wrong) move on a timer and is therefore equally neutral to Smashville and Green Hill. If you don't like Norfair, strike it.

Is there a reason for the strike order? It's confusing. Is there anything wrong with 1-2-2-1?

Yoshi's Story should be a neutral, not Island. and with 7 stages you have to strike 6 so 1-2-2-1-1-2 makes sense. 1-2-2-1 leaves 3 stages.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Story is fine but it is still less neutral than Norfair. Bottom blast zone is ass (Ike can't even fall-off fair without dying), Randall, and an uneven surface (I can only assume this is why Cavern and Skyloft are CPs, but obviously to a much greater degree of uneveness).

lordhelmet

Smash Master
We are using strike numbers, fewer steps = less confusing.

Also, it might just be easiest to use default rules since the bottom row is set to neutrals. If you were to alter them, I would have them how you have them according to what I was babbling about above. Red, it looks like you are missing some stages lol CBA to check but where is Dreamland?

JTsm

Smash Master
No, thats player number. P1-P2-P2-P1-P1-P2 for a total of 6 strikes.

P1-P2-P2-P1 is the 4 strike system used in Melee.
OHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhfdfjdfhsdkfbsdgkjsbgjkgjkdgdggr...... .. . . .

Okay I get it. Hype for next Sat. :)

RED6

Smash Apprentice
Oh well, I think everyone understands what is meant by the striking thing. xD Any confusion will be cleared up during the tournament.

Also, I don't agree with dreamland being a neutral, or particularly even a CP for that matter, so I decided to take it out.

JTsm

Smash Master
I get it and it's what I thought it was... but in a different way. lol

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Hi, there are a lot of posts wondering why Yoshi's Island is neutral. Since RED's ruleset was inspired by mine I figured I should explain.

Since there are an abundance of triangle (3-platform) stages, it's not "neutral" to include all of them in the Starter list when taking into account advantages and disadvantages of a character matchup. Different characters excel or weaken on different stages, so by including 3 triangle stages in the Starter list we're inherently buffing characters that excel on those stages and nerfing characters that don't.

I personally don't feel that Yoshi's Island (or FoD... cough) should be a Starter stage, but there isn't really any other viable candidate for "high ceiling" stage besides Dreamland. Wehhhh PMBR tweak stages plz.

btw, why did you ban Dreamland completely, RED?

Edit: strike order refers to player number like AF said... a carryover from the way Melee did it I guess.

Edit2: livestream would be legit

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Starters should be objectively chosen based on physically neutrality of the stage, catering to character strengths (vertical and horizontal KO characters) seems wrong.

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for Norfair being a starter assuming FoD is out. I just have this vendetta with that stage, I never do too well there.

wut.
WUT.Maybe we should just use default rules :yeahboi:
This sounds hype too.

Edit2: livestream would be legit
Assuming someone has a really nice phone that can pose as a wi-fi hotspot we may be able to figure something out but... only maybe.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
The point was to reduce the catering by not having 4 of 7 starters be the same stage.

WarioWare: Small stage, small horizontal blast zone, slightly larger vertical blast zone, wall, flat terrain, unique platform layout, no hazards
Battlefield: Average stage, average blast zones, no wall, flat terrain, "standard" 3-platforms, no hazards
Final Destination: Mid-large stage, average* blast zones, wall, flat terrain, no platforms (unique layout), no hazards
GHZ: Average stage, average* blastzones, wall, flat terrain, floating single platform (vertical), no hazards
PS2: Mid-large stage, average* horizontal blast zone, slightly smaller vertical blast zone, no wall, flat terrain, "standard" 2-platforms, no hazards
Smashville: Average stage, average horizontal blast zone, slightly smaller vertical blast zone, no wall, flat terrain, floating single platform (horizontal), minor balloon hazard, aided horizontal recovery due to platform

*Remember that larger stages artificially increase the distance to the horizontal blast zone
(I'm using Battlefield as the median blast zone/stage size)

Ideal 7th stage: Large/Mid-Large stage, average horizontal blast zone, large vertical blast zone, with the trailing variables to be decided...

Skyloft would be an ideal Starter, perhaps replacing GHZ or Smashville (especially over Yoshi's Island or FoD) but I personally ruled it out as to not stack low ceiling stages (it would add a 3rd low-ceiling stage unless it replaced Smashville).

Skyloft: Average/Mid-Large stage, slightly larger horizontal blastzone, slightly smaller vertical blast zone, half-wall, minor terrain, 2 platforms (unique layout), slight ledge hazard due to stage motion (not really a big deal)

Yoshi's Island: Average/Mid-Large stage, slightly larger horizontal blast zone, large vertical blast zone, wall, minor terrain, "standard" (ala Halberd/Smashville) tilting single-platform, aided horizontal recovery due to random platforms
If the assist platforms were on a timer like Randall, they wouldn't be a huge issue if people are willing to let Smashville be a Starter as well. The terrain is slightly janky in comparison to Skyloft, but less janky than Metal Cavern. The tilting platform kinda sucks and the terrain + platform really does make this more of a counterpick stage. Also, now we're stacking Wall stages (4 of 7 stages have walls... whoops.)

Dreamland: Large/Mid-Large stage, slightly larger* horizontal blastzone, large vertical blast zone, wall, flat terrain, "standard" 3-platforms, minor wind hazard

In the currently posted REDfest ruleset:
1 small stage (WarioWare)
3 average-sized stages (BF, GHZ, Smashville)
3 Mid-Large stages (FD, PS2, Yoshi's Island)

1 small horiz. blastzone (WarioWare)
2 average horiz. blastzone (BF, GHZ)
3 slightly larger horiz. blastzone (PS2, Smashville, FD, all inflated due to stage size)
1 large horiz. blastzone (Yoshi's Island)

no small vert. blastzone (Yoshi's Story could fill that gap, at the cost of another wall stage and another triangle stage)
3 average vert. blastzone (BF, FD, GHZ)
2 smaller vert. blastzone (PS2, Smashville)
1 larger vert. blastzone (WarioWare)
1 large vert blastzone (Yoshi's Island)

4 stages with walls
3 without walls

WarioWare's unique 4 platforms
BF as the "standard" 3-platform stage
PS2 as the "standard" 2-platform stage
GHZ with it's swinging single platform
FD as a no-platform stage
Smashville's "standard" but floating single-platform (which also aids horizontal recovery)
Yoshi's Island's single tilting platform (Ideally it'd be stationary like Halberd's "standard" one-platform because it provides a different single-platform dynamic)

I think this Starter list could be improved if WarioWare had a smaller ceiling, if Skyloft replaced Smashville as a Starter, and if there was a "standard" one-platform stage with no wall and a high ceiling. But we don't have that, hence the Starter list that I use for rootfests.

InternetExplorer6 inspired my stagelist. He uses Skyloft as a Starter instead of Yoshi's Island, though. The more I think about it is the more I think that it's a better idea for the time being.

Top Bottom