• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MWTS's album of the week: The Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
ive been putting these in my sig for a few weeks now and decided i should dedicate a thread to it, (or at least try, itll probaly get locked since i have a feeling it could fit in another thread, but im an attention ***** so here i go) most likely every monday or tuesday i will put up my choice for album of the week (AotW) and id like for you guys to weigh in on it.
This Week: god hates us all, this is Slayer's 8th album and one of my favorite albums of all time. it combines fast paced, brutal fretwork from guitarists Kerry King and Jeff Hannemen and the over the top vocals of bassist/singer Tom Araya. and with drummer Paul Bostaph this album is what thrash metal can and should be. despite the title of the album, there arnt many songs that bash any kind of religion, during the writing process Kerry King wanted to make it feel more "real" for listeners so he avoided "satan this "and "satan that" and went with things more everyday.
there you have it! my 1st AotW post, i probaly just wasted so much time on this:( enjoy! -MWTS

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Not that thrash isn't amazing in it's own respect, but will you be covering anything other than thrash?

And now relating to the album.

I like Slayer and all, but sometimes Araya gets on my nerves. Slayer is good, though. Gotta love the tasty licks.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
ill be covering anything i find interesting, be it thrash, punk, rock, country, whatever catches my attention. i decided to start with slayer since there my favorite band, they have been for years. i think im gonna do a dream thetre album nxt week, ive been listening to it alot.
also, did you chek the youtube link?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I did now.

And I reiterate Symphony X's superiority over Dream Theater. Michael Romeo easily stomps all over Petrucci any day of the week. And don't even get me started on LaBrie. Sure, he's an alright vocalist, but nothing when compared the Russell Allen. Add in Rullo's sick beats and you have a band putting out stuff twice as good as Dream Theater.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
I did now.

And I reiterate Symphony X's superiority over Dream Theater. Michael Romeo easily stomps all over Petrucci any day of the week. And don't even get me started on LaBrie. Sure, he's an alright vocalist, but nothing when compared the Russell Allen. Add in Rullo's sick beats and you have a band putting out stuff twice as good as Dream Theater.
i have to side with putrucci, as far as labrie goes, his voice is...well, "unique" cant say i like it but i cant say i hate it either

on another note, you mentioned araya, what bothers you about him? as far as being a frontman, he gets the job done but looking at him from a singer/bassist perspective, lemmy has him beat in almost everyway.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
jeez, this turned out worse than even i expected it to :(
if it doesnt pick by the next album ill let this die....anyway this weeks album is one thats very close to me not only because of the talent on the album but the legacy it has left in the almost 23 years it been here.
i give give the album of the week: master of puppets, well i love this album more and more everytime i listen to it, so im gonna give the highlights, but first a little backround. back in march of 1986, if i recall correctly, metallica released their 3rd and in my eyes, best album. it was this and a few other albums that came out in '86 that moved metal as a whole to the next level (other influencecial albums o the year include slayers reign in blood and megadeths peace sells...but whos buying?) this was an album that said more than "bang your ****ing head" this album made you want to listen again and again jus like i've been doing for years now.
well, what can i say about my favorite album of all time? its composed very well, everything just flows and nothing seems out of place, theres no constanst driveing thrash force either, so peopl who dont even like metal can sit and listen, and maybe even apprciate these four guys' workmanship.
from the very begining of the album (track 1: battery) i wanted to listen more, it wasnt like any metal i had ever heard (mind you, this was the 1st metallica album i heard) never before was i so greatful for the slow, melodic riffs of kirk hemett, and than just when i thought i had the feel for the album it blew my mind again with a pick of of the thrashiest nature. another big thing that i love MoP for was the emotion in james hetfield's singing. there were times where the anger, and the hate for what he has become (in the song) was so evident that it made me angry too. but than, songs like sanatarium there were no yelling, or deep raspy voices but smooth singing that only made the deeep inner spite/rage that he had show more. than of course is the instrumental, my favorite of the metallica instrumentals. it makes me sad though, knowing that the bassist at the time (cliff burton) would never get to see the affect that album had on the world because a mere 6 months after MoPs release burton was killed in a bus crash at the age of 26.
all-in-all this album is a force of nature, well i guess im done ranting about my fav. album, c'mon folks, dont let this thread die!
CLIFF EM' ALL!!!

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
Puppets is definently one of the greatest albums of all time. (Read the thread title, had a feeling you'd start with Slayer.) Anyway, hopefully this will begin to pick up, i'm interested to see what will be next.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
actually don, it started out as being a line or two in my sig, and started with venoms welcome to hell...i wont be doing any of the ones that were in my sig though.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
its not that i didnt like the drumming on MoP, its just that they didnt really stand out for the most part, i do love the title track's drums though. and to be perfectly honest, im not a big fan of drums in the first place.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
too bad you dont live near me, my band is looking for a drummer. well it doesnt look like this is gonna be too big. ill up this weeks album tommorow and see how it goes, it may be the last :(

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
okay here goes, possibly (sadly is more like it) the last aotw post.
big hair, "sexy" guys (i'm not gay-.-), power chords, and some kick-*** solos, what more could you ask of an 80's hair metal/glam rock band? NOTHING, that what! and thats exactly what you got from poison's first album:"look what the cat dragged in" this was an album that wasnt exactly popular at first but about a year after its release in 1986 this album made it to #3 on the charts, and thats **** good if you ask me. this album had songs about abition, lust, lost loves, and most hair metal of all of course, anti-social behavior.spawning songs like "talk dirty to me", and "i want action" look what the cat dragged in not only epitomizes everything any hair metal band could wish to be, but it does it **** well.
well there you's have it! keep this alive guys!

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
I think i'll give the album a listen, havn't really listened to much poison

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
loololololololololololololol
wow! holy ****...i was at his house when he posted and i didnt look, jeez.
well, since it seems you two are the only ones who post in here so far, should i keep it going? perhaps link it in my sig?

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
XD No idea how i put white snake instead of poison. No other comment here.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
alright, what the ****...here we go. this weeks album is: With Oden ON Our Side.
anyone who knows me can tell you im not very big on death metal, or growly, roary bands....welll this is an exception. not haveing much to compare this "viking metal/melodic death metal" band to i must say i really like it, drum fans rejoice for even i am impressed by it for the most part. the singer...johann hegg is very capable of that "death grunt" bull**** that i hate so ****ing much, but, he doesnt do it. instead we get a raspy, gutteral voice that seems to fit the music very well. in closeing, not being a fan of either death or viking metal i must say this makes me wanna listen to either more in general or just more amon marth. also, the videos for cry of the blackbirds( one of my new favorite songs) and runes to my memory are pretty sweet.
edit: jeez....guess noone likes me anymore...

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
You'd think just a few more people would pay attention to this thread :/ Lack of attention is horrible. Pretty **** good I think. Oddly enough, I couldn't help but think that their lead singer sounded like Dethkloks at one point. That changed as the song went on though.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
okay..after a long absence and me pretty much realizieing this is dead im back for those who do care (if any) about my opinions
this week: The Wall
the wall mother****ers...its awesome. pink floyd...****ing awesome.
the wall is a..i guess i can call it a concept album, but more importantly it was ****ing deep, it tells the story of a man named pink, how he lost his dad in a war, had a over-protective mom, and how he became a rock star and began to isolate himself from the rest of the world, thus buliding "the wall"
other than being deep storywise (and also being based on waters' own life) it made a **** good movie (also called "the wall")
its my favorite floyd album, but i don think that the experience from listening to it on an actual record beats the hell outta cd, and the albums art is fantastic. so if you get a chance, listen to the record, youll be happy.

D

Deleted member

I've never heard of these bands (besides Pink Floyd). Are they the ones that scream at you?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
This thread will probably not get locked/be successful if you ask members what their album of the week is. Because I can't really imagine many people being all that interested in what kind of musice you like. I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way at all. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom