• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My alternate way of training: "Power Training"

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
To be good, every athlete needs to train. Alot. Soccer players train soccer 5 hours a day, basketball players do nothing but basketball. Baseball players play 163 games to stay in shape. Everyone does it.

The same goes for Brawl. The more matches you play, the better you get. Matches with your brother / neighbour help, going to local tournaments, smashfests at your friend's house. That's what we do.

However, all those other athletes, they spend quite a couple of hours in the gym too. They stay in shape, they train their muscles to increase their performances. Say a athlete trains 30 hours per week, at least 4 or them will be so called powertraining.

Now, to get to the point, I've made a training program to get Brawl muscles and keep 'em. You don't need anyone, so if you don't feel like wifi, friends aren't home, and your hands are itching, you should try this. (designed for Lucario play mainly :)) Doing this a couple of times a week will drastically increase offline performance (wifi not so much).

- Go to Group Brawl
- Pick Lucario
- Pick a level 3 computer character.
- Set stock to 99, timer to infinite

- Try to get as many stocks off the computer character as you can, without dying once. If you lose a stock, it's over.
- Press Start + L + R + A to view your results.

Press A once, to go to your statistics. There are a few interesting things to see here.

- KOs
- Hit percentage (accuracy)
- Ground time
- Ground hits
- Air time
- Air hits
- Smashes
- Grabs
- Projectiles

The more KOs you have scored, the more Brawl muscle you have. There are a few fundamental things to make your training succesful.

- Try to pick a opponent that isn't Bowser or Ganondorf. Personally, I always pick Meta Knight, Snake or some other high tier character that isn't an extremely easy match up.

- Try to approach a bit (ALL the time isn't needed), not infinitely spam Aura Spheres.

- Don't reset when you took 50% in the first 2 stocks, it's about doing it, not the high score.

What will you learn, and get better at?

- Two very very important things: spacing and timing. You'll learn it automatically. What do you do if you need to kill the opponent, and not get hit yourself? Right, space wide and safely. Timing'll improve, and you'll learn when to hit the opponent, and how to punish optimally. That's exactly what you want to drill on.

- Forward air combos / strings / followups. You'll get very handy in doing these, and you'll get all new variations. Recently I've tried to implement Up Air a bit more in my gameplay, and this is absolutely the way to do it.

- Surviving at high percentages. A very important aspect of being Lucario. When you've taken off 15 stocks, believe me you'll be up 120%+. One hit from the computer can kill you, and you need to keep going and going. Just like a real match.

- Shielding / dodging / evading as much as possible. Very important in Brawl, because of the kinda slow physics. Get used to shielding everything that can possibly harm you. Stay safe. Minimize risks.

- Whatever you want, really. If you feel like you don't spotdodge enough, don't Force Palm enough, don't use your tilts enough, ignore your grabs, or anything else, it can be trained here.

A little bit about the statistics:

These can be very helpful to analyze your style of play. Especially air time and ground time are important, as well as smashes and grabs. You might want to get your hit percentage up as well. Play extra cautiously, and cut down on spamming. This will help you big time in a real match.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Remember this is my way, and I found I can already meet with some very good players while I'm only playing for 5-6 weeks, and this + a lot of reading and practice has helped me do it.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
nice tips. most good players do that but on lvl ones and u basically keep attacking. but yeah this def can help most until they get bored atleast ha
also dont practice the same combo over and over cuz a lvl three comp won't di like a human and it might mess up ur strats

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Training against a computer is never a good idea.

Also, training constantly for an entire day without breaks is never a good idea. It's better to train in small bursts. You'll wear yourself out.

If anything, you'd have better luck spending that time doing REAL physical training. Your brain works better if you're healthier. Take some time to jog around the block or walk the dog.

Oh, and don't practice combos with Lucario. Lucario has NO real combos. All of these "combos" you hear us talking about are actually improvised strings that work because of Luc's high priority aerials. Learn to think quickly on your feet and work on your observation skills instead.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Computers arent really that bad for practice, but you have to keep in mind that you cant learn everything against a computer. Overall though computers are pretty decent for learning spacing and the mechanics of characters different moves.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
A basketball player that only practices by himself with a hoop, might have really good accuracy, but its experience that makes him good player.

Everything you've said is reflected of that. Its good information, and well done. (minus the 99 stock thing, that would take forever and you'd just not learn anything)

Just for everyone else though, the best way to get better is play other ppl. Not just 1 or 2 ppl, cause you'll just pick up on their habits and only know how to beat them.

Im saying get out there, and go play other people! Go to tourney's, you might not win, but you could learn a lot more then if you were to drone way for 12 hours fighting the same CPU. (And im more then sure its worth the 10-15$) Knowing how to deal with some one that plays the character differently will give you experience, and you'll learn from it.

BUT, ONLY IF YOU WANT TO LEARN. if your there to win, and get mad when you lose, john about it, and just be a noob. Your not going to get anything but tears and a pouty face.

Go there, knowing "yea, I might not win. But I can learn some new things, and meet cool people.". With that in mind, your already a winner, even if you dont end up with the cash prize.
Be willing to learn and except that the guy was better then you. Hell, make it a goal to beat that guy the next time you see him. Show him that you took that match as a learning experience and you used that knowledge to get better. You might even win. (How cool would that be?? its a great feeling)

But Finally,
There are two kinds of losers, those who lose and complain about it in every way possible and nothing changes, then there are those who lose and decide to get better.

Which loser will you be?
-t2

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
I agree on the tournament things, but here in amsterdam there aren't too many. 27 september first big one, and Ill be attending, I think there are plans for like 2 more tournaments in the near future as well.

Now why does this work (in my opinion) you'll get used to surviving, dodging, strings etc. a lot, making it a good workout. I never said it would replace regular brawling.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I agree on the tournament things, but here in amsterdam there aren't too many. 27 september first big one, and Ill be attending, I think there are plans for like 2 more tournaments in the near future as well.

Now why does this work (in my opinion) you'll get used to surviving, dodging, strings etc. a lot, making it a good workout. I never said it would replace regular brawling.
Oh I never said this wouldn't work, some training is better then none. (Unless your one of those ppl that get better by not playing for a while, like myself for example, its really weird).

But, you didn't specify what your doing, then its mush. Are you 99 stocking the same CPU? If so, your just wasting your time.
1. Your only going to learn some of the kinks of that other character. thats 1 character out of everyone else.
2. After about 20 ko's, your going to get slopy and start messing around or find ways to get the CPU to kill its self. This will never work on a human player. We don't play like CPU's.
3. 99 stock is a long time. Your going to get bored and want to do something else.(which is recommended, get off your couch)
4. Short random matches would be better, you'll learn how to end matches faster, other characters and their moves and gameplay, other stages... So on and so forth. Its just a much better idea to keep things fresh.

Think of it this way, would you rather watch a 3 hour boring film or a hour of really interesting mini-films?

And Tournaments dont have to be those hugely hyped events that everyone and their mother are going to. There are such things a local tournaments too. Like at a local game store, or so kid down the street is having one.

Sakuri made brawl so everyone can play. From casual to serious. Casual brawling is still brawling, its all about the experience and meeting people and having fun.
Invite other people to play brawl, friends other people on the street. Post it. Do something to get people to come and play.

You dont need to go to 100 people tourneys to learn things, simple 10-15 ones are just fine. Even if you make the tourney your self, you will get something from it, or if you don't, 100% some on else will.
-t2

salaboB

Smash Champion
4. Short random matches would be better, you'll learn how to end matches faster, other characters and their moves and gameplay, other stages... So on and so forth. Its just a much better idea to keep things fresh.
The point is to learn your spacing, how to rack damage while keeping kill moves fresh, seeing incoming attacks, etc. That's why he suggests a level 3 computer, because it won't be using most of the AI tricks but will be acting as a moving punching bag. If you play short matches against random computers all you'll really pick up is how the AI acts, and you'll get into worse habits than the suggested style of play because the computer is pretty fast on the reflexes at the higher difficulty levels.

I believe 99 stock is just so it is a stock match with some feeling of progress as you play, he ends it when he dies once after all and doesn't suggest trying to trick the computer into dying -- and if you're actually playing to practice, it's not hard to just shut it down if you find yourself bored of caring and start doing that.

In some ways I can even see this as being more useful for figuring out the exact ranges on all your attacks than fighting another human would be, because the computer's movements should be less erratic or pressuring you and you'll have time to really see what's going on, and by repetition will learn to recognize those situations more rapidly. Then when you do get to practice with humans you'll have already started figuring out exactly where your safe ranges are.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Well yea, I agree.
I never did say anything about the CPU lvl, but lvl 3 is the best to train on as you and he said. I just feel 99 stock is a bit over kill.

And secondly theres and training feature that works just as well, and then some. So I can safely say that both our ideas can best be done in the Training gameplay thing in Brawl. It has the information shown, you can set up the situation, restart the CPU to check distance and % done of attacks. This gives you all you need to know, and allows you to play to 99 stock or simple 3 stock. You don't even need to count, just stop when you want to.

Also finishing the 99 stock can be a goal, and if it works for you, then bi-all means.

And secondly, learning the ranges and speed of your moves should be the first thing you do. Learn your own character before learning others.

So I stand corrected to the some part.
-t2

*edit

And what im saying is the suggested way and plus extra, Where as the Title of this thread is "Alternate way".
So I apologize if anything I said has disagreed with what you said (which it does on some parts). I cannot disagree with a alternate method being wrong, especially if it is your own. It cannot be wrong, cause there is no right way.
So again, i'm only giving answers to your problems and giving another alternate method to your method.
If you way works, grats, if not there's always others, mine not included.

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
I dont see this helping, but I'll give this a try with DK. Personally i prefer to fight my bros and friends that come over as practice.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i wish i was in amsterdam, so i can smoke and smash all day. woot! anyways...

fight cpus only to keep the skills sharp. mainly combo strings and tech. and try fighting cpu lvl 4-7 because lvl 1-3 dont put up much of a fight and personally i think they're not worth fighting. i'm not hating, but you'll never get better fighting computers all day. NEVER!!!!!!!!! maybe a little bit.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
I like to count how many kills I can make to track progress, I don't actually go for 99 (won't succeed), and definately I don't try to make the computer kill itself or do some other tricks. This is to exercise spacing and dodging, and usually takes 30 mins at max (like 2 tries).

Also I think I clearly stated this has worked for me, because I improved lots and lots using this method. Only posted it to you know share the success.

Milln

Smash Champion
- Try to get as many stocks off the computer character as you can, without dying once. If you lose a stock, it's over.
- Press Start + L + R + A to view your results.
I'd just like to note that this doesn't work with Lucario due to his Extra Aura debuff, and to a small degree, the regular Aura modifier.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to note that this doesn't work with Lucario due to his Extra Aura debuff, and to a small degree, the regular Aura modifier.
If you mean stock behind -> less powerful, that already caps at 2 stock behind, so not a big deal. The slight loss in power doesn't really make a difference in the way you train.

Milln

Smash Champion
Yeah it does, Mr. Game & Watch main. Things that should KO at certain percentages, don't. Things that shouldn't link, do. Stuff that should do high damage, doesn't.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it does, Mr. Game & Watch main. Things that should KO at certain percentages, don't. Things that shouldn't link, do. Stuff that should do high damage, doesn't.
Oh. I'm not a GW main o_O was that offense? anyway moving on towhat you said things that link, don't when ur 20% lower (thats about the diff of 2 stocks) as well and what I ment was I don't change my spacing much given the stocks.

This is what has worked for me, I only got the game 6 weeks and I got some stuff down and beat some pretty good players already, so its looking kinda bright and I think doing this like 3 times a week (besides of course playing as much as I can with friends) has helped me improve fast but I'm kinda drunk now so...

Milln

Smash Champion
Oh. I'm not a GW main o_O was that offense?
Your little avatar thing underneath your name is G&W, therefore you're broadcasting to everyone that he is your main character.

This is what has worked for me, I only got the game 6 weeks and I got some stuff down and beat some pretty good players already, so its looking kinda bright and I think doing this like 3 times a week (besides of course playing as much as I can with friends) has helped me improve fast but I'm kinda drunk now so...
Define "pretty good players".

All i'm saying is that because of Lucario's dynamic attributes, training while theoretically constantly under your debuff will not cause you to progress as a Lucario player. This will cause you to go after strings that work while you're debuffed and end up with you getting hit. What will also end up in you getting hit is fighting only computers, because consciously or not, you develop habits and these are easily capitalized upon by a human. A Computer will not recognize your patterns. Sometimes they don't even shield the second hit of ftilt or dair.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Playing against 1 lvl9: undesirable
Playing against 3 lvl9: wtf are you thinking?
Playing against 1 lvl3/9 in training mode: better, just testing techs, some basic stuff
Playing against an IRL person: priceless
**** mastercard

Milln

Smash Champion
You could.

Lol, you're basically made out of mindgames, so I could see that beeing a problem.

-Azen defeats Mew2King in the winners finals, but looses to cpu lv 9 in grand finals-
They should randomly seed a level 9 computer instead of a bye if one occurs just for giggles.

Top Bottom