• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 my feelings towards mlg and the maturity of our community

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
All this seems to be is Brawl players whining about MLG's decision to ax Brawl from the line-up. I have no idea what you kids are so worked up about, Melee hasn't been on MLG in years yet the scene is very strong.

Calm down, there is nothing that can be done about it now.
The only reason Melee is off is because MLG wants to be "new and exciting," some of us are upset because we enjoyed the events so much and because we realize it was good for the community.

Do we need MLG? Yes, I think we do; but our community won't die because of this.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
The only reason Melee is off is because MLG wants to be "new and exciting," some of us are upset because we enjoyed the events so much and because we realize it was good for the community.

Do we need MLG? Yes, I think we do; but our community won't die because of this.
What did you last sentence even mean?
No, Brawl NEVER needed MLG
It will suffer, but Brawl will be just fine. Melee has HUGE turnouts for tournaments...
I honestly wish Brawl would just die and everyone goes to Melee, but meh.

Whether I like it or not, Brawl is here to stay. MLG or not...

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
It will suffer, but Brawl will be just fine. Melee has HUGE turnouts for tournaments...

I like this guy, Smash in general never neeeded MLG look at melee players for instance. That never stopped them.

Why should this stop brawlers?

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Nintendo did not support MLG, MLG is a competitive gaming league geared toward hardcore players. Nintendo has mostly been for casual gamers in the past few years.

Makes sense yet?
By the past few years you mean since Melee came out then I agree.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
so i got ***ed over 3 times :[ coulda got 2nd in 06 mlg, entered dallas maybe won, and had a job still :/

i have no idea what im going to do with my life at all now i just wanted to be a professional gamer
Why does everyone, though they pity you, claim it's your fault? I mean, they're all like:

It's okay, M2K, doen't feel bad about cancelling MLG. It wasn't your fault, you didn't mean it etc... If anything, it's Wyatt's fault :p

fragbait

Smash Master

Finally, a Melee player who isn't a total Brawl basher. Thumbs up on this post.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Whose to say they don't?

Judging a LARGE community, based off a couple posts made by a few people from said community, is really, really dumb.
Maybe both communities are guilty of that? I know I was (and probably still am considering I purposefully troll Melee players by putting up Tero and Pinkshinobi videos). But things can always change for both sides in a positive way. Smash is smash no matter what game you're playing. It should always be like that.

As for the maturity of our community, that's something that will be fixed over time. If anything, its up to the individual to be responsible for their actions and make the best decisions that they can.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Just so guys know...

Stuff about "bracket manipulation" was on the contract of the pro players. If they actually read it (they being M2K/ADHD) they would've known not to do it, or at least keep it hidden.

There is also a difference between brawl and every other game that was there. Do you think there are Halo 3 tournaments besides MLG? No. DO you think there are SC2 tournaments besides MLG? Yes, but not very often. Do you think there are Tekken tournaments in America besides MLG? Maybe, but very small scale. Brawl is the only game that has rather large tournaments besides MLG on a frequent basis, and has small tournaments on a weekly/biweekly basis.

Understand that from a business perspective, Nintendo not supporting Brawl on the circuit really hurt MLG. THey couldn't make money off of stream or video. There weren't many sponsors that supported Brawl since there wasn't much publicity besides our own game (the only time non-brawlers said anything about Brawl at MLG was when they were talking about our hype/noise [good noise] which was better than most communities, at least for our size). So guys, respect MLG's decision because as a business they didn't make that much money from us. If it was for fun they would probably keep us since we are pretty hype for our own community. HOWEVER, since MLG has profits/losses, they logically should've dropped us.

MLG was a great experience, aside from the money, and it was a chance for me to see the national scene as opposed to Florida's scene, and now I am going to attend nationals which, before my success at MLG Orlando, I never would've thought about.

MJG

Smash Hero
Just so guys know...

Stuff about "bracket manipulation" was on the contract of the pro players. If they actually read it (they being M2K/ADHD) they would've known not to do it, or at least keep it hidden.

There is also a difference between brawl and every other game that was there. Do you think there are Halo 3 tournaments besides MLG? No. DO you think there are SC2 tournaments besides MLG? Yes, but not very often. Do you think there are Tekken tournaments in America besides MLG? Maybe, but very small scale. Brawl is the only game that has rather large tournaments besides MLG on a frequent basis, and has small tournaments on a weekly/biweekly basis.

Understand that from a business perspective, Nintendo not supporting Brawl on the circuit really hurt MLG. THey couldn't make money off of stream or video. There weren't many sponsors that supported Brawl since there wasn't much publicity besides our own game (the only time non-brawlers said anything about Brawl at MLG was when they were talking about our hype/noise [good noise] which was better than most communities, at least for our size). So guys, respect MLG's decision because as a business they didn't make that much money from us. If it was for fun they would probably keep us since we are pretty hype for our own community. HOWEVER, since MLG has profits/losses, they logically should've dropped us.

MLG was a great experience, aside from the money, and it was a chance for me to see the national scene as opposed to Florida's scene, and now I am going to attend nationals which, before my success at MLG Orlando, I never would've thought about.
This post sums up my thoughts and feelings.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
One of the things I can't understand is people saying they don't like mlg since they care about money.

It's a business! It needs money to survive and grow. So when a business offers you an opportunity where you and them can both make money and it's a win for both of you how can you, out of context, say, well, they're a corporation so they're automatically evil?

Money makes businesses grow and thrive and with out money mlg can't continue having awesome tournaments. Needing money does not automatically mean they are selfish or greedy or evil

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
The point was comparing it to smash.
Have you heard of the GSL? It's held in Korea and the winner makes $85,000 in US money. That game is mad serious, and they have some tournaments w/ good prize pools, but not as many as the US, but their biggest tournaments have a greater prize pool then our top tournaments.

Your entire argument is ******** because Starcraft has an organized LEAGUE with tournaments for significant amounts of money. Comparing these with the small-time garage tournaments that smash has weekly is idiotic.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
if they is mlg then this is true. MLG tried to make money off of brawl but didnt so they drop it, its just smart business. i dont blame mlg for dropping us and i certainly dont blame our community.
SAKURAAAAAAAI.jpg sad to see this day come though i saw it coming the first mlg event i saw the stream missing. then sakurai put the nail in the coffin when he said smash was never meant to be competitive.

good luck at finding a side tourney at evo :bee: typing on ps3 sorry for horrid grammar

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
SAKURAAAAAAAI.jpg sad to see this day come though i saw it coming the first mlg event i saw the stream missing. then sakurai put the nail in the coffin when he said smash was never meant to be competitive.

good luck at finding a side tourney at evo :bee: typing on ps3 sorry for horrid grammar
finally someone else also sees that Sakurai is a troll.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I think attacking this communities maturity is kind of nonsense. If you bother to observe or interact with other competitive gaming communities, you'll see that the level of maturity doesn't really vary that much. Every community has controversy, randoms, kids, haters, trolls, etc.

I know a lot of you are passionate about Brawl, and you can lament the situation all you want, but that ain't gonna resolve anything. At the end of the day, it's just a game and MLG is just a tournament series. Move on with your life.

I'm gonna stop withholding my pessimism and be honest; if anyone was expecting Brawl to be their meal-ticket into the highest levels of pro-gaming stardom, they were betting on the wrong horse.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Nintendo did not support MLG, MLG is a competitive gaming league geared toward hardcore players. Nintendo has mostly been for casual gamers in the past few years.

Makes sense yet?
Nintendo only supports one competitive community: Pokemon.

they are neutral with everything else.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nintendo only supports one competitive community: Pokemon.

they are neutral with everything else.
I know that's the messed up thing to it. It's probably because they know every nook and cranny when it comes to the game unlike smash and the executive director of the game along with it F*ck Sakurai.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think attacking this communities maturity is kind of nonsense. If you bother to observe or interact with other competitive gaming communities, you'll see that the level of maturity doesn't really vary that much. Every community has controversy, randoms, kids, haters, trolls, etc.

I know a lot of you are passionate about Brawl, and you can lament the situation all you want, but that ain't gonna resolve anything. At the end of the day, it's just a game and MLG is just tournament series. Move on with your life.

I'm gonna stop withholding my pessimism and be honest; if anyone was expecting Brawl to be their meal-ticket into the highest levels of pro-gaming stardom, they were betting on the wrong horse.
ether is the truth

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I could care less about MLG. I play Smash because I like the game, not because I like winning money. I was a competitive shotgun shooter for several years, and ended up destroying my love of the game (sporting clays) by trying too hard to make money. Some people just can't turn their hobbies into their jobs; I am one of them, and I love Smash too much to ruin it for myself. The payouts for competitive Smash (gaming in general, really) are also too small to care that much about. This is not golf, and even MLG is not the PGA Tour; no matter how good you are, you cannot get wealthy winning Smash tourneys, and no company wants to sponsor some college kid with frumpy clothes and Dorito breath who wants to play games for a living.

That said, this whole issue is silly, and I see flaws on both sides, but more so with MLG. Two careless gamers who broke a rule (by ignorance or deliberately, only they can say) are NOT sufficient cause to withdraw a whole venue, and blaming the (unspecified) behavior of a nebulous entity like a gaming community is a serious cop-out. MLG wants money, and they disappointed a lot of their consumers in pursuing it. That's not smart capitalism, and it should come back to bite them in the corporate backside if there is any justice in the world.

However, the Smash community does have its fair share of flaws (or flawed members). I prefer to exist on its periphery, reading more than posting, because so many people are belligerent, spiteful or just plain antagonistic to anyone not in their clique. Many of the character boards are rife with elitism and bad attitudes, yet still they wonder why so few people post and why new members are in short supply. I have found that, at a local level, Smashers are the most honorable and upstanding gamers. Yet, on the Internet, so many are cutthroat, rude, and would argue with a signpost. I have never felt more welcome than at a small-time central VA Smash tourney, and I have never felt more excluded or intimidated than on Smashboards. Kudos to those of you who represent your series well; this is by no means a flame on the entire community ay large, but an observation of problem elements therein.

What makes no sense to me at all, and doesn't reflect well on Smash, is the quirky rift between Brawl and Melee. As another post stated, BOTH are Smash. Preferring one over the other is no reason to be enemies. If any party is to be blamed for that rift, it ought to be none other than Masahiro Sakurai! He has been openly antagonistic against competitive Smash, despite their loyalty to his franchise, and the mindset he propagated within Nintendo is probably responsible for their lack of MLG support.

In short, I don't care about Brawl in MLG one way or another, but I do think MLG was deeply mistaken to remove it. There are some flaws within the community, though, and fixing them would definitely improve the public image. Basically, act like adults, be decent on the forums, represent your series with honor and integrity, and for Christ's sake, stop bickering about Brawl vs Melee.

D

Deleted member

I could care less about MLG. I play Smash because I like the game, not because I like winning money. I was a competitive shotgun shooter for several years, and ended up destroying my love of the game (sporting clays) by trying too hard to make money. Some people just can't turn their hobbies into their jobs; I am one of them, and I love Smash too much to ruin it for myself. The payouts for competitive Smash (gaming in general, really) are also too small to care that much about. This is not golf, and even MLG is not the PGA Tour; no matter how good you are, you cannot get wealthy winning Smash tourneys, and no company wants to sponsor some college kid with frumpy clothes and Dorito breath who wants to play games for a living.

That said, this whole issue is silly, and I see flaws on both sides, but more so with MLG. Two careless gamers who broke a rule (by ignorance or deliberately, only they can say) are NOT sufficient cause to withdraw a whole venue, and blaming the (unspecified) behavior of a nebulous entity like a gaming community is a serious cop-out. MLG wants money, and they disappointed a lot of their consumers in pursuing it. That's not smart capitalism, and it should come back to bite them in the corporate backside if there is any justice in the world.

However, the Smash community does have its fair share of flaws (or flawed members). I prefer to exist on its periphery, reading more than posting, because so many people are belligerent, spiteful or just plain antagonistic to anyone not in their clique. Many of the character boards are rife with elitism and bad attitudes, yet still they wonder why so few people post and why new members are in short supply. I have found that, at a local level, Smashers are the most honorable and upstanding gamers. Yet, on the Internet, so many are cutthroat, rude, and would argue with a signpost. I have never felt more welcome than at a small-time central VA Smash tourney, and I have never felt more excluded or intimidated than on Smashboards. Kudos to those of you who represent your series well; this is by no means a flame on the entire community ay large, but an observation of problem elements therein.

What makes no sense to me at all, and doesn't reflect well on Smash, is the quirky rift between Brawl and Melee. As another post stated, BOTH are Smash. Preferring one over the other is no reason to be enemies. If any party is to be blamed for that rift, it ought to be none other than Masahiro Sakurai! He has been openly antagonistic against competitive Smash, despite their loyalty to his franchise, and the mindset he propagated within Nintendo is probably responsible for their lack of MLG support.

In short, I don't care about Brawl in MLG one way or another, but I do think MLG was deeply mistaken to remove it. There are some flaws within the community, though, and fixing them would definitely improve the public image. Basically, act like adults, be decent on the forums, represent your series with honor and integrity, and for Christ's sake, stop bickering about Brawl vs Melee.
I can't really comment on paragraph 3.

As for paragraphs 1-2 and 4-5, I agree with them completely, except for one point. MLG is right to take away Brawl if it isn't making them money. That's what a business does. What is disgraceful for them is blaming it on the "bracket manipulation" incident. If that was actually a factor in their decision, then that just indicates poor decision making on their part.

What is more probable though is that coming out and saying "We aren't making money from Brawl, we aren't going to run it anymore" wouldn't be the best for PR, which really doesn't make any sense because any reasonable person will know that MLG has no responsibility or duty to the smash community.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I was actually getting at their bad PR with this incident; the method in which they pursued money, not their pursuit of money itself, per se. By pissing off an entire gaming community they can't be doing themselves any good, yes?

D

Deleted member

Agreed. I was actually getting at their bad PR with this incident; the method in which they pursued money, not their pursuit of money itself, per se. By pissing off an entire gaming community they can't be doing themselves any good, yes?
Well they don't need to care about the smash community anyways, so it doesn't really matter to them if they piss off the whole community.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Just so guys know...

SC2 tournaments are held all the time :p, and in Korea they give away 85k every two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom