• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my first time with Luigi :)

prOAPC

Smash Lord
today was my first time using Luigi. At the begining, it was a little hard to control because he's really floaty, more than toon link i think. But after a few battles, i could move with him perfectly. I like to sh and attack with 2 aerials, specially using the nair after the other attack. I used this combo (not sure if i'm the first one to do it) and work a lot in real fights: down gras -> SH uair -> nair ->up B (on the ground).
I have some questions, first, how do i recover? Sometimes, i tried to go up using his down B, but it was useless because i didn't go up. Do i have to use the jump first, then the down B, or use the down B first, then the jump?
His up B only is strong (you know what i mean) if both characters are on the ground?
Does Luigi have a spike/meteor smash?
thanks for reading :)

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
height-wise, the effectiveness of the down-B recovery greatly depends on your vertical momentum. if you are already traveling upwards and then use down-B (tapping B fast as h3ll) you will get much more height (i'd say 3-4x average) as opposed to as if you were moving downwards and doing the same. this means that if you save your jump, you can wait until an opportune moment to jump (which gives you the upwards momentum you need) and down-B, which will give you enough height for almost all of your vertical recovery needs (keep in mind, after the up-B you can drift to the ledge now instead of fall to your doom). Typically when i am knocked far out by an opponent, the first thing i do is use the forward-B to bring me moving forward (notice i do not jump right away unless it is completely necessary), then maybe one more forward-B depending on your height, jump, down-B (rapidly), up-B. There aren't many situations you can't recover from in brawl with this method. just get used to all his moves and what they can all do and develop your own safe recovery method.

Banditsofthesea

Smash Apprentice
He has, to my knowledge, 2 spikes. One is his Dair, hit the oppenent with your butt. Serious... 2nd is his taunt where he kicks you. Hard to pull off. When they're on the ledge...

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I suggest that you switch to mario because with practice you can be taking out characters with them being under 15% (trust me I have done it to the most experienced players) using his cape and flood and his arials (mainly bair/fair). Luigi does have more strenght but mario is your man when it comes to strategic edge guarding I hope to see you in the mario boards soon. JK . Luigi is great he just has a very limited edge guarding choices compared to mario. when it comes to luigi just stick to killing your enemy with arials or smash attacks right off of the screen.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
You don't have to be on the ground to use his up b efficiently. It's just easier on the ground, since you and your opponent will always be at the same level when grounded (unless the stage isn't flat). It can be used in the air with proper timing and positioning.

surrepGuy

Smash Cadet
As Ace83 already said, Luigi has a very nice recovery if you know how to use his tornado to gain height. He's not quite ROB or snake but his recovery is one of the best ones out there.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
shOOs, what's vAir?
for apmpnmdslkbk, i already use Mario, i used Dr. Mario in melee, so, i know how to use him, exept for the flood, and i don't like to use him because the cape got nerfed, same reason for not using samus, because of her missiles
anyways, today i played again with Luigi, still having problems using the tornado for recovery, i used it after the second jump, but i fast falled when using the attack so a lost the momentum :(

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
With the nerfed cape and the flood which is very situational @ best Luigi in my opinion can edge guard much better. He has a much better recovery, has much faster aerials and the Luigi missile if mind gamed in properly by getting your opponent to air dodge to soon can be a easy KO. Luigi is da' man, poor poor fat little brother :/

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i got owned today with luigi T_T
well, not really, i could beat my friend's secondaries character, but not his main (marth)
i had a really hard time to kill with nair, i think i used it too much, and it the attack got weak
also, i have to use more often the side smash, i'm not used to use side smash attacks because of the other characters I use

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Marth is kinda tough with luigi, cant play the super agro luigi style. Use fireballs for frequently to interrupt his movement and do some dmg and abuse the utilt and usmash, a dthrow can lead into either easily against marth, as well as a nair. Try not to use the nair as your main KO move but instead shield/spot dodge fsmash,dsmash or ^b. All work really well and are fast. You cant beat marth head on since his fair's eat you alive so be very cautious lol

Greatnegativeman

Smash Rookie
With the right stage i can beat anyone with either luigi's super jump punch or the neative zone/super jump punch combo, depending on the timing.

Top Bottom