• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My friend needs some tips

tendou5184

Smash Cadet
My friend doesn't have internet at his place so he's asking me to give him some help, I'm not a roy user, but I'm posting the videos that we made in the morning maybe other roy users can post some tips for him. Thanks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVr_GtN1SWc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGV59WV0rI0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QKQ8HwUACf4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxqJkQtE4kA

Thanks for all the tips once again. He wants to get better with using Roy, right now he has a problem with spamming the c-stick, hope you guys can help him.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Those videos almost made me cry.
Go work on your basics and then maybe someone can help you.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
He still needs to learn basics, and you need to stop being predictable with your combos. And his movements seem so jerky, like he doesn't know what he's going to do before he does it. He needs to start thinking of what he's going to do before he goes in for the attack.

:)

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Like everyone said, learn the basics. Also just generally play more. I don't think he has a grasp of the character, or even the game when he chooses to do a neutral a instead of an fsmash.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
There is a very slow movement with that Roy! I mean, he should be moving faster. Dash Dance and Wave dash! That'll speed you up.

Almost don't get too predictable!

tendou5184

Smash Cadet
He still needs to learn basics, and you need to stop being predictable with your combos. And his movements seem so jerky, like he doesn't know what he's going to do before he does it. He needs to start thinking of what he's going to do before he goes in for the attack.

:)
working on my combos, had an idiot for a teacher as the others on the link page said he was, so I'm going to be abit slow on progress since I have to start from the beginning with combos.

update. Tank has started his training on thursday of last week. his short hops and fast falls are getting better, he needs to add those in, in wave dash practice he got 3 out of around 100 and l-cancel still slow but got about 2-3. Haven't seen him since thursday so I'll have more of an update tomorrow.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
working on my combos, had an idiot for a teacher as the others on the link page said he was, so I'm going to be abit slow on progress since I have to start from the beginning with combos.

update. Tank has started his training on thursday of last week. his short hops and fast falls are getting better, he needs to add those in, in wave dash practice he got 3 out of around 100 and l-cancel still slow but got about 2-3. Haven't seen him since thursday so I'll have more of an update tomorrow.
Tell him to forget the advanced stuff like SHFFLs and Wavedashes for now and do the basics. It's just going to be harder in the long run. At least listen to most of the posts in this thread. What I'm referring to is to observe the intro tutorial in the game and go off that. You gotta build up, you can't just go straight to the "advanced" aspects without having a firm grasp of the game and expect to be masterful with those techniques.

3/100 wd's sounds ridiculous. keyword: Basics!

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Eh, WD doesn't require even the basics to use. To implement in combat, surely. But how hard can it be to tap L/R/Z while tilting the control stick the correct direction?

In any case, he really -does- have to go back and learn the basics. Like, the difference between fsmash and ftilt.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I just watch the fist video, and I have to ask, were you two team attacking the air and accidentally hitting each other?

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
3/100 WD's? Its not that hard. . . 1/2 hour of practicing is all thats needed to get it down semi-perfectly.

Both need to work on spacing alot. As others have said, practice the basics first. Implement SHFFLing later when you have wavedashing, dashdancing and spacing down.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
3/100 WD's? Its not that hard. . . 1/2 hour of practicing is all thats needed to get it down semi-perfectly.

Both need to work on spacing alot. As others have said, practice the basics first. Implement SHFFLing later when you have wavedashing, dashdancing and spacing down.
I don't understand why people say that Wavedashing should be implemented before SHFFLing, because it's just not true at all. Wavedashing is absolutely useless to attempt to apply before you understand how you're going to be chaining your attacks.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people say that Wavedashing should be implemented before SHFFLing, because it's just not true at all. Wavedashing is absolutely useless to attempt to apply before you understand how you're going to be chaining your attacks.
Truth. You can be a good player without wavedashing, but not one without Shffling, I think. Just look at all the pros, including Aniki (speeling?).

Btw, Boosley, awesome sig. ;P

halu102

Smash Apprentice
A big problem is his reaction time. He's playing as if you're not moving at all (the problem could be he is still unsure of the character and is not looking at what his opponent is doing). I really suggest that he go back to the basics. Even play the single player/cpu. He also needs to work on teching falls.

Metriod_Prime_Fusion

Smash Rookie
Learn to SH, FF, Lcancel, and tech first... then maybe I can help. The basics have got to be there before any suggestions will mean anything.
i agree u need a strong foundation beofre u can learn anything else. try some simple hit and run tactics, and some >b move to get theri damage up. also u shold should try some wave dashing and since he have trouble try a simlpe sheild grab, down throw and forward smash. i think if done correctly it should rack their damage up pretty good. just work on the basics and continue to practice , and if u get beat dont worry it comes with the practice.

-good luck

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
play adv dont post u p until you do cause people will just tell u u suck and other stuff so to avoid humiliation play advance and dont post up until you do

tyrantmodel-002

Smash Rookie
i recommend using faster moves. power doesn't always win. you need speed to win a match. he could have used a few more b moves there.(by the way i know im a noob in this forum but i kick *** with roy in melee)

technomancer

Smash Champion
i recommend using faster moves. power doesn't always win. you need speed to win a match. he could have used a few more b moves there.(by the way i know im a noob in this forum but i kick *** with roy in melee)
I love these posts :D Not that you're wrong or anything, but the Roy forum is the only forum that gets post #1 I kick *** guys on a daily basis.

You guys just practice. Watch any old Marth or Roy video with Ken or Neo or whatever, and then just copy exactly what they do. Then read guides, etc. etc., and develop a style that gets you kills (aka fsmash alot or charge-a-your-flare-blade) then you'll improve alot faster because you'll see what doesn't work in your strats and adjust pretty much automatically. Also you'll see what techs you want to use as you understand more about them.

tyrantmodel-002

Smash Rookie
I love these posts :D Not that you're wrong or anything, but the Roy forum is the only forum that gets post #1 I kick *** guys on a daily basis.

You guys just practice. Watch any old Marth or Roy video with Ken or Neo or whatever, and then just copy exactly what they do. Then read guides, etc. etc., and develop a style that gets you kills (aka fsmash alot or charge-a-your-flare-blade) then you'll improve alot faster because you'll see what doesn't work in your strats and adjust pretty much automatically. Also you'll see what techs you want to use as you understand more about them.
i agree. use your flare blade more

Top Bottom