• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Hit List

joeplicate

Smash Master
Hit list

I would really love to get on the level of these players!

lovage
lucien
lucky
silentspectre
hungrybox
dr pp
hugs

read the last post for my reasons for editing!

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i feel like you're looking externally when you should be looking internally!

DanteFox

Smash Champion
i feel like you're looking externally when you should be looking internally!
this.

Other people's skill levels fluctuate over time. what if you beat them a bunch, then they take a set off of you? Kind of invalidates the hit list.

Imo the best goal is to just try to be the worlds greatest.

I was reading the mlg article on kdj linked to in the anniversary forum and his mindset really makes sense. He wanted to be the best in his town, then the best in his region, then the best in the country, then the world. Like consecutively bigger concentric circles.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah reading more about the rest of the list, i'm not sure the moniker 'hit list' fits for anyone in the lower few tiers

especially for those who are 'people i want to trounce'!

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah man :(

i'm in rpv

i feel what you guys are saying
and don't worry, i have the internal stuff on lock haha

i feel like this is something that will keep me motivated, though
a commitment to keep at it and keep improving

i'm 20 ****in years old
time to put in work!! :)

joeplicate

Smash Master
this.

Other people's skill levels fluctuate over time. what if you beat them a bunch, then they take a set off of you? Kind of invalidates the hit list.

Imo the best goal is to just try to be the worlds greatest.

I was reading the mlg article on kdj linked to in the anniversary forum and his mindset really makes sense. He wanted to be the best in his town, then the best in his region, then the best in the country, then the world. Like consecutively bigger concentric circles.
well "hit list" isn't like a literal term, i suppose. last time i played hax and oscar i technically beat them, but i'm still not satisfied. it's not an ego-based thing, or else i would probably be saying "hell yeah i **** for beating ____." that's not it though--i want to catch up to players like lucien and shroomed, and even SS/lucky in the long run, because i know by then that i WILL have put in work. i have a huge amount of respect for these people. they have been adapting their minds, changing their gameplay, and staying motivated, with the end result of getting drastically better.

i value these changes in myself more than anything, which is where the internal reward comes in. korean dj said that he stayed true to his goals, which was something i glossed over reading the interview the first time several years ago. he beat this player, he beat another, he got to be the best in his town, his school, his state....

in essence, i'm trying to do the same thing. i'm setting forth goals in these players that i look up to so i can feel pride in myself for the achievement of beating them, or being better than them. "people i want to trounce," the 0th tier, will yield the goal of consistency. beating a huge name in tournament, in finals or semifinals, will be the payoff of playing under pressure, on the national stage, and pulling it out.

so my apologies if "hit list" sounds a bit vicious or vindictive, but it's really an elaborate way of saying that i believe in myself more, my confidence is at a high point, and that i am committed to improvement because i KNOW i can do it.

in short:
i got this

:)

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
why?

blaze your own path dude. comparing yourself to others is just another form of the rat race
Agreed.

One thing I've learned throughout my competitive gaming career is that the longer you compare yourself and your skill level to other players, the longer it will take for you to surpass them (sometimes it won't even happen). Don't worry about beating anyone; just care for getting better, with your own play style, your own mindset and soon enough, you'll find yourself on tons of other smashers "hit list."

Take my word for it. I've made the same 'mistake' during my Smash career and it really got me nowhere. It's unfortunate that I realized this after I left the Smash competitive scene. I'm glad I'm not making the same mistake playing SF and needless to say, competition is much less stressful and much more enjoyable.

Good to see you have the drive. That's what's most important.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm pretty sure Joe has it worked out, and understands that the end goal isn't to beat these people, it's to get better, but beating these people are good indicators of getting closer to his goal.

joeplicate

Smash Master
^what he said haha

although i appreciate you looking out
i was comparing myself to other players about a year ago and it demolished my self-confidence

i know a little better now, but it's good to remember to watch out for that kind of ****ty thinking :)

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
That's good.

From my perspective, I think there is no better indication of how good you are than how you place in tournament. I feel that, in the end, results matter. It's all about the placings. Of course, I don't beat myself up for placing poorly in one tourney but after going to a few consecutive tourneys, I'll know if I truly am getting better or not.

The way I look at it, there is me and then there is everyone else in the bracket whom I must beat. Nothing more, nothing less. To me, Jkun is no different from Lucky who is no different from Zhu who is no different from Mango. They are nothing special. All opponents.

I don't worry about faces, nor do I get complacent when I lose to someone that "I"m supposed to lose to (e.g. Mango)."

That's just how I view it. My mindset.

But so long as you have the drive to get better on lock and as your main priority, then you're good to go. :)

joeplicate

Smash Master
that's a great attitude, i appreciate the input :)

tournament results are important in and of themselves; not because results point to something like "true skill." hidden skill doesn't exist. you are as good as you play, and that's objectivity.

i have a bunch of concepts in smash mapped out in my head, and "objectivity" is one of them. focusing on quantifiable things--the most important being tournament results--is a great way to keep yourself honest and humble.

i was gonna say "plus they are a great measure of how good you are," but then i'd be falling for my own trap! lol. get better so you can do better in tournament, not the other way around!!!!

i had a lot more to say, but none of it really applies here so i'll leave it at that

it also says a lot that i haven't gotten trolled yet, and for that i thank everybody:bee:

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I just go in with the attitude that I'm better than everyone and that I have to prevent upsets :p

but I guess this is another way to do it XD

D

Deleted member

wanna put 5/10/20 dollars on victor of next tourney set?

im doing it with hugo

you not teching into me ever has downfalls btw, pretty sure u realized that

edit: if i were to have a "hitlist" for socal it'd be

ALEX19

then:
u , hugo, and oscar when he's playing good

then everyone else ranked or decent

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i don't even bother thinking of players as players anymore. they're just characters. after a while you've seen it all before!

i was thinking about this when i was hyping up your victory over hax. in hindsight i/we should act like we've been there before. honestly, beating hax is nothing special. he's just another guy. i can even say with a straight face that beating joseph wouldn't be anything special. it would be quite bittersweet; imo the higher up the ladder you go the less rewarding it is.

that's why the goal should be (imo) to bring the entire community up with you! then you never get bored! sadly that's something joseph never learned: sharing.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the opposite is true if you want to win adam.

You have to have basic character matchup skills and combine them with notes you take on individual habits in-match.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the opposite is true
What makes you so sure?

if you want to win adam.
I don't want to win! I want to learn! Winning is just a pleasant by-product!

You have to have
Says who? What if you don't? DaShizWiz hardly practices or attends tournies and he does just fine! You could say the same about a lot of vets!

basic character matchup skills and combine them with notes you take on individual habits in-match.
I, and Joseph, believe this is how you play the game:

Space. Punish. React.

You can do those things against any character! If you do those things properly you win! What exactly is there to know about any character matchup that doesn't fall under one of those three umbrellas? I'm all ears!

HugS™

Smash Lord
My Socal hitlist consists of players who have beaten me recently (revengsies) and people who I think need to be beaten more convincingly (Johnny).

Nationwide, it includes all the top foxes and falcos, plus anyone who's beaten me in the past. Plus anyone who I think is hyped.

This definitely keeps me motivated and I'm glad you feel the same.

MacD

Banned via Administration
I, and Joseph, believe this is how you play the game:

Space. Punish. React.

You can do those things against any character! If you do those things properly you win! What exactly is there to know about any character matchup that doesn't fall under one of those three umbrellas? I'm all ears!
fiction, in the way he sees the game, character match ups are just how you space/punish that character

like for fox, if a peach is crouching, you'd react and one way to punish that is by drilling her, cause if you nair you're gonna get punished

so yes, for each character he's going to approach fighting him/her differently, but in the end his goal is to "space. punish. react."

just felt like expanding on what he said might help you/others grasp what he means, and i wanted to make sure this is basically what you meant adam

Adam M!

Smash Lord
fiction, in the way he sees the game, character match ups are just how you space/punish that character

like for fox, if a peach is crouching, you'd react and one way to punish that is by drilling her, cause if you nair you're gonna get punished

so yes, for each character he's going to approach fighting him/her differently, but in the end his goal is to "space. punish. react."

just felt like expanding on what he said might help you/others grasp what he means, and i wanted to make sure this is basically what you meant adam
I am pretty sure I understood his point to the T! Maybe I didn't, though! Shephard, what do you think?

Now did you understand my point? I am doubtful because you did not address my main question:

What exactly is there to know about any character matchup that doesn't fall under one of those three umbrellas?

MacD

i guess i didn't understand, though i thought i answered how those were character match ups

you can't space the same moves the same way against every character, so it comes down to which moves to space against which character (so that's where i see character match ups in this situation), but in the end it's all just spacing is what i thought you meant

like against marth, to space you wanna be either inside of him or outside of his tipper/attack range (at least i do as peach) but against other characters i might not want to be inside of

you have to know what your opponents character can do, if not, how do you know what your spacing should be?

wow i suck at putting lots of smash theory into words, especially since i can only see things as a peach main, with only 2nd hand knowledge of other characters, but i feel like i address that point here

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i guess i didn't understand, though i thought i answered how those were character match ups

you can't space the same moves the same way against every character, so it comes down to which moves to space against which character (so that's where i see character match ups in this situation), but in the end it's all just spacing is what i thought you meant

like against marth, to space you wanna be either inside of him or outside of his tipper/attack range (at least i do as peach) but against other characters i might not want to be inside of

you have to know what your opponents character can do, if not, how do you know what your spacing should be?

wow i suck at putting lots of smash theory into words, especially since i can only see things as a peach main, with only 2nd hand knowledge of other characters, but i feel like i address that point here
you are adding complexity to what is a simple concept! you are agreeing with me!

MacD

lol, i knew i was agreeing with you, just trying to put it in different words in case mr fiction didn't understand your simplicity

joeplicate

Smash Master
wanna put 5/10/20 dollars on victor of next tourney set?

im doing it with hugo

you not teching into me ever has downfalls btw, pretty sure u realized that

edit: if i were to have a "hitlist" for socal it'd be

ALEX19

then:
u , hugo, and oscar when he's playing good

then everyone else ranked or decent
nah, actually, i don't care to do that. i would rather mm you some other time. i think that as long as it's tourney then the pressure is good enough.

unless it's some weird thing where we meet like 2nd round or something and there's otherwise no hype. then i'd probably be down.

Top Bottom