• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Impressions from 2 1/2 hours of Ness.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
First of all I'll let you guys know that Ness has improved so much in this game. Here are my notes in point form. (Using Wii typing. ;s)

- DJC out entirely.
- Bat sends people more horizontal then diagonal. (I don't know about sweetspot.)
- F-Air and Dash attacks don't go through opponents anymore (!) unless dodged.
- Air combos are VERY effective due to the loss of DJC.
- His Yo-yo has two steps of knockback, the wind up and the actual move, its pretty effective.
- His PK Thunder is faster (and stronger), not by much but enough to make it easier to PK Thunder 2.
- Its as if all his attack moves have increased knockback.
- Back-throw is a bit more vertical but his front throw is about the same as Melee's back throw so its as if they were reversed.
- More durable by far.
- PK Flash is smaller, yet faster
- B-Air has alot of freeze frames. (I was able to do 4 consecutive B-Airs easily using DI.)
Overall, I believe he'll be a very capable fighter due to the new physics, which he excels at.

Heck I did better with Ness then my actual main Link.

We all have to re-learn so much, the transition might as well be 64 -> Melee, and because of that I love this game.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
very interesting. it seems like they actually made ness much more stronger then he was before. i really look forward to playing this game. thanks

Scholar Zero

Smash Rookie
After about 2.5 hours, I have just rescued Paula. Remember to get the Franklin Badge before the fight, makes it a lot easier.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
After about 2.5 hours, I have just rescued Paula. Remember to get the Franklin Badge before the fight, makes it a lot easier.

the manni manni statue is the hardest i think. that game is so much fun!! good times good times. i actually beat it like 3 times. i stopped playing it like last year. i dunno why i stopped. i just didnt have the time or i was doing something else. if i remember correctly i was facing carbon dog and diamond dog in the underworld or lost world or something like that. lol

Scholar Zero

Smash Rookie
Aaah the diamond dog! To hell with that thing, I hate it!

But the scratch and sniff sticker in the player's guide smelled like hot dogs... mmmmm....

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
Aaah the diamond dog! To hell with that thing, I hate it!

But the scratch and sniff sticker in the player's guide smelled like hot dogs... mmmmm....
yea i definitely cant stand that diamond dog. anyways i think the best scratch and sniff was def the monkey. mmmmmmmmmm banana!

Scholar Zero

Smash Rookie
Let's see, there was the Mach Pizza pizza smell, the diamond dog, the barf pile... was the banana the only other one? That's the one I had forgotten

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
I just finished playing through the game again. =) The diamond dog didn't really give me any trouble, but maybe I was a bit overleveled. Once he transformed, I just used Jeff's Neutralizer to kill his shields, and unloaded with a Multi Bottle Rocket, and whatever else I had, and he was down in only a couple turns.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me what DJC is? It seems like it's a good thing that it's out. Why did people even do it in Melee then?

(I'm not even close to a Ness main, I suck with Ness. I just like him as a character.)

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me what DJC is? It seems like it's a good thing that it's out. Why did people even do it in Melee then?

(I'm not even close to a Ness main, I suck with Ness. I just like him as a character.)
Double Jump Cancel. Yoshi, Mewtwo, Ness and Peach could all cancel their second jump, by attacking during it. This gave them versatility when combo-ing (well, Yoshi and Ness mostly. Mewtwo sat at the bottom of the tier list :( and Peach had Float Canceling).

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Somewhat surprised that a Peach main didn't know about DJC. :p

It is used most with Ness and Mewtwo and Yoshi, though. But, like someone else said, it cancels a second jump with an attack. Ness's is the coolest, because it just stalls your descent in midair and lets you attack, WHICH IS FREAKING USEFUL!

As Ness, it is standard to DJC your Uairs, and it is also used as a replacement for SHing a lot of the time. In a lot of cases, it opens up a whole realm of combo possibility's, due to it's versitality.

It is gone in Brawl, but we still have Ness's weird second jump, and a whole lotta move to abuse it with. Rising dairs anyone?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Its so true, yet so sad.

Also, he said increased knockback for all attacks? Don't uair and bair(Ness's MAIN killers) have confirmed less knockback? And the bat hasn't been impressing me much.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Uair hasn't lost its KO power from what I've seen, and Ness doesn't have to worry about KO power any more, since his yo-yos actually function as weapons now. So you'll be racking up damage a lot faster.

And why aren't you impressed with the bat yet? It hits people at an almost horizontal trajectory now.

DJ Tempora

Smash Cadet
Eh, bat seems pretty good. Especially compared to Lucas and his fsmash, which 1) does less damage and 2) has much less range. I've been satisfied with the bat's knockback, seems like a good killer still.

Bair seems harder to connect with and gives less knockback than before. I think.

Yoyo, as already mentioned, is much MUCH better.

Neutral B... well, I'm not sure about it yet. It's definitely faster than in Melee, and it seems more versatile. An uncharged neutral B can now be used against an overhead foe, because it comes out so fast. I dunno about edgeguard potential, because I haven't landed a charged Flash yet.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
As ness players, I dont think we have anything to complain about other then the fact that djc is out. but other then that, almost everything else with ness has been slightly buffed up if not completely buffed. Now that the yoyo is back, along with a more horizontal flow with the bat, and other things, ness is gonna be a way better character now.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
As ness players, I dont think we have anything to complain about other then the fact that djc is out. but other then that, almost everything else with ness has been slightly buffed up if not completely buffed. Now that the yoyo is back, along with a more horizontal flow with the bat, and other things, ness is gonna be a way better character now.
i still have a small gripe about the loss of the amazing backthrow. Some say his fowardthrow is better than the melee backthrow, but from what ive seen it doesn't look like it to me. Personally i like the fact that DJC is out(blasphemy i know), but i want to learn a new way to play with Ness, and the new strategies so far look really fun/cool/effective.

Levitas

the moon
NessOnett, I'm with you on the DJC thing. Believe me, I use it to know end in melee, but I think it may work out for brawl.

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
With my playing of ness his back air is great. And after my first real main in brawl being zelda and learning to sweet spot with her back air ness' was extremely easy to pull off

ConeZone

Smash Ace
im glad ness is better, i loved ness in 64, but his grab and awkward jumps made it hard for me to use him in melee. I hope his attacks are stronger, espicially his UB and DB.

Levitas

the moon
He's not like the 64 version at all. He's more like a progressed Melee version with no DJC. Also, his PKT2 is really good at killing. Unfortunately, there were too many people to play one v ones, so yeah...

Top Bottom