• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My likes and Dislikes of Smash 4 so far (On a competitive aspect)!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I've been playing the game for a week now and learned a lot from videos of the japanese version and playing it myself.

Just want to give out my personal likes and dislikes on the game so far from a competitive aspect. Some of these include mechanics, gameplay, and more.

- There are true combos in Smash 4. They're aren't as insane as Melee's but definitly more reliable and usable than Brawl.
- gameplay is faster.
- Off-stage gameplay is now better
- Edgestalling is no longer possible
- Pivot/turnaround cancel
- the character balance is pretty well done. Some characters are still weaker than others, but that doesn't make them bad characters. most are competitively viable and there's so many MU's.
- offensive play is better
- Defensive play, while still pretty strong, is no where near as broken as Brawl, which I like.
- mix-ups and spacing is important and I like that. I always prefered mix-ups over combos, even though I still like combos.
- Airdodging is no longer OP. They now have landing lag, making them punishable.
- Ground Game is improved, making the game more ground-based than other before.
- Every character, while some play the same like in Brawl, most have their own unique style of gameplay (DHD: Camping character and Little Mac: rushdown/In your face).
- A lot of the buffs are really good choice (Jigglypuff Rest is better and Bowser is faster).
- I personally like the Rage effect. While I do agree that it makes combos harder, it does make killing opponents eariler more nessassary than ever.
- Most of the best characters I've been playing are offensive/aggressive characters.

Dislikes:
- Vectoring, while I don't think it will hurt combos a lot, it will make matches last a long time.
- Blastzones are too huge.
- The controls on the 3DS are hit-or-miss
- A lot of the glitches are gamebreaking for competitive play. Not all of them, but a lot are gamebreaking.
- Some of the nerfs to some characters are completly unnessary (Fox and Falco having landing lag on lasers).
- Some characters play the same as Brawl (Marth).

So far, I'm liking the game a lot so far. I do think it has major problems that should get fixed, but I do think it's better than brawl by a long shot in competitive play. It won't be as competitive as Melee, but it will be better than Brawl. It does have aspects and problems that make it similar to Brawl, but that isn't a bad thing IMO. It does play differently than Brawl and camping is no where as annoying or OP like Brawl, but it's still a solid option.

What are your thoughts about the game so far? Go ahead and leave critcism below if you disagree. Just don't be giant jerks about it.

dddragon

Smash Rookie
"- A lot of the glitches are gamebreaking for competitive play. Not all of them, but a lot are gamebreaking."

Like what?

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
"- A lot of the glitches are gamebreaking for competitive play. Not all of them, but a lot are gamebreaking."

Like what?
some of them are the combo breakers. I do think they are punishable and people dont use it a lot, but it's gamebreaking and I do think they should fix it.

dddragon

Smash Rookie
some of them are the combo breakers. I do think they are punishable and people dont use it a lot, but it's gamebreaking and I do think they should fix it.
Some of them? What are the others?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Vectoring will not affect low percent combos, it's negligible at low percents. At higher percents it will let you live longer unless you are against Bowser/Ganon/Lucario etc.

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
- Off-stage gameplay is now better
This point caught my eye, and I disagree with this for now. I'd say in general recovery is far easier than it has ever been, and while edgeguarding does indeed still exist, I personally think it has been greatly nerfed based on my experiences against other players.

I feel like a ton of the cast has a fantastic recovery. There are exceptions of course, Little Mac coming to mind.

Scala

Smash Ace
I share all of the Likes in the OP and generally agree this game is a better competitive game than brawl-- but I'm not sold on the ledge mechanics and I think they make the game worse.

Also I feel like Brawl generally has more aerials that autocancel but I might be remembering wrong. Or its just that landing lag is greater on aerials in general now

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
This point caught my eye, and I disagree with this for now. I'd say in general recovery is far easier than it has ever been, and while edgeguarding does indeed still exist, I personally think it has been greatly nerfed based on my experiences against other players.

I feel like a ton of the cast has a fantastic recovery. There are exceptions of course, Little Mac coming to mind.
That's true, but i've been doing edgeguarding a lot in onlien matches against good players. It feels really good and most of my wins come from that. The other two reasons why many think edge guarding is worthless in Smash 4 is because of Vectoring and the large blastzones, which IMO are the two biggest problems I have with Smash 4. If vectoring didn't exist and Blastzones were similar to that of Melee or in between, edgeguarding would still a good solid option, regardless of good recoveries. I still think it's a solid option, it's just that most don't capitalize it to it's full potential!

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
I share all of the Likes in the OP and generally agree this game is a better competitive game than brawl-- but I'm not sold on the ledge mechanics and I think they make the game worse.

Also I feel like Brawl generally has more aerials that autocancel but I might be remembering wrong. Or its just that landing lag is greater on aerials in general now
I actually find the ledge mechanics interesting and I don't think it makes the game worse. I personally think it makes the game's off-stage play more interesting. What is it about the ledge mechanics that makes you think it makes the game worse?

dddragon

Smash Rookie
That's true, but i've been doing edgeguarding a lot in onlien matches against good players. It feels really good and most of my wins come from that. The other two reasons why many think edge guarding is worthless in Smash 4 is because of Vectoring and the large blastzones, which IMO are the two biggest problems I have with Smash 4. If vectoring didn't exist and Blastzones were similar to that of Melee or in between, edgeguarding would still a good solid option, regardless of good recoveries. I still think it's a solid option, it's just that most don't capitalize it to it's full potential!
Vectoring doesn't make edgeguarding bad, lol.

Scala

Smash Ace
I actually find the ledge mechanics interesting and I don't think it makes the game worse. I personally think it makes the game's off-stage play more interesting. What is it about the ledge mechanics that makes you think it makes the game worse?
I really don't want to derail this thread into a debate about the ledge but here's a summary:

Getting the ledge for free took away a deceptively deep part of the smash series. Sure you can intercept midair but you could do that in all the games. Ledgehogging wasn't easy kills, it still takes skill to successfully pull off a good ledgehog.

Anyways I think the ledges could have been fine if trumping lead to guaranteed followups. If that was the case the end result would be the same as ledgehogging but it would actually take more skill to put the final nail in the coffin. As it is now you can get immediately on stage after grabbing the ledge and its impossible to get ledge trumped if you play properly.

The best new ledge mechanic is only getting invincibility once, which I think everyone agrees is a welcome change.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

NNID
RanserSSF4
I really don't want to derail this thread into a debate about the ledge but here's a summary:

Getting the ledge for free took away a deceptively deep part of the smash series. Sure you can intercept midair but you could do that in all the games. Ledgehogging wasn't easy kills, it still takes skill to successfully pull off a good ledgehog.

Anyways I think the ledges could have been fine if trumping lead to guaranteed followups. If that was the case the end result would be the same as ledgehogging but it would actually take more skill to put the final nail in the coffin. As it is now you can get immediately on stage after grabbing the ledge and its impossible to get ledge trumped if you play properly.

The best new ledge mechanic is only getting invincibility once, which I think everyone agrees is a welcome change.
I also don't want this thread to go into a debate. I was just asking what is it about the ledge mechanics you don't like. I did mention above that criticism is allowed in this thread!

Top Bottom