• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
As far as Fallout Equestria goes, there are two things about it that preclude me ever reading it: It's a crossover fic, and it's a crossover fic with Fallout. I just feel like the premise of Fallout is wholly untenable with the world built for My Little Pony. Nuclear holocaust in a world where technology exceeding steam power is used for comedic effect, if at all (MMDW notwithstanding)? Not my thing.

As far as epic, post-apocalyptic MLP stuff goes, Antipodes is closer to my cup of tea, because the apocalypse was a primarily magical thing, which feels more "My Little Pony" to me, even if the whole involvement of technology is a bit eyebrow-raising. Even then, most "technology" is powered by magic, anyway.
That's initially my problem with FE. It DOES seem to pull it off kinda well despite that fact, but it still kinda just feels "meh" to me while reading it. Won't deny that it had some awesome moments though.

I still dislike Crossover fics though. I prefer "original content using precreated worlds", even though that makes no sense for fanfics. Both of my longer works place OCs in worlds established by canon, more or less, as an example of that, though I do use characters in canon on the side to make it feel more "realistic" I guess. Point is that I focus pretty much 90% of my energy in fanfic writing on the OCs and the changing fanon universe.

Antipodes is TONS more fun to read than FE.
The Night that Never Ended is AMAZING.
Memories of Days Long Past is all kinds of EPIC, even though it has a ton of dry spots. Only problem with it is that it dresses up the Mane Six in costume and pretends they're different characters, which kinda annoys me.

There was this Rarity Applejack light shipping fic I read for awhile that was actually REALLY damn good, but I can't find it anymore.

However, the best MLP Fanfic series I've ever read is STILL the entire Luna vs. series. My GOD it is all so amazingly brilliant and funny, despite the fact that it perpetuated this "helpless fanon Luna" pre-Luna Eclipsed that annoyed the HELL out of me. :applejack:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Where do I go to make suggestions for the show? I want a Diana Krall pony. She's Canadian, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I remember when Espy suggested Memories of Days Long Past.

I got about halfway through then stopped since I was busy with other stuff then never went back to finish it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I never even see it updated on EqD anymore.
Methinks it went the way of 85% of FanFics, and just stopped updating halfway through the story and dried up. :applejack:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
If I interpreted what Cereal told me when I met him, I think the thinks that the Not-Fanfiction button was godlike when we talked about it. The only time I'll probably go to the normal page is to look for y'alls pony fics when y'all tell us it was uploaded, and then I bookmark it for future reference. Just like Ryo's pony fic and SSG's pony fic. Otherwise I assume the 50%+ of the EqD vistors use the Not-Fanfiction button and a lot of the fic hype disappeared.

Also according to PG, the metal pony pins pre-order is ending soon. I already placed my order for me and Espy (and one extra Colgate pin for Rei) and none for Tofer because he changed his mind. I'll list the total price once I get the invoice.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I personally think it's a godsend. But then again I like keeping my perception of canon clean by shielding it from certain fanon elements presented in fanfics. I'm kinda like Lauren Faust like that.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Truth be told, over half the music shared in the music section isn't even worth downloading in my perception. That being said and my 1000+ pony songs, that's like music submitted to EqD equivalent to the fan fics submitted to EqD.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
But it's not about whether they're good or not, it's about what fans can tolerate sifting through. And fanfics clearly lose in that regard, hence the button.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
All types of fan art/media are the same in the sense that you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to something good. The thing with fanfics is that you have to invest a bit of time into reading the story, getting a feel for the author's style, making up your mind about whether you like what you've read and then developing your thoughts on it. Where as one's judgement on a music track can be made up in less than a minute and an image can be judged as something that is pleasant in an instant.

Also, fanfics often involve shipping, slash/crack, gore, crossovers and/or other things people don't want to associate with the show. Which is why the no fanfic button is there.

john!

Smash Hero
All types of fan art/media are the same in the sense that you have to wade through a lot of crap to get to something good. The thing with fanfics is that you have to invest a bit of time into reading the story, getting a feel for the author's style, making up your mind about whether you like what you've read and then developing your thoughts on it. Where as one's judgement on a music track can be made up in less than a minute and an image can be judged as something that is pleasant in an instant.
this is exactly right.

fanfics are less immediately stimulating and are therefore dismissed by people who don't have time for them or are too shallow/impatient to give them their full attention

M!nt

Smash Champion
Images>Music>Fanfics for me
but, I don't really hate on one tho.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I could argue, but **** it.
This experience does tap well into a class I just had last night that struck somewhere close to home, though. :applejack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom