• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Personal 5 Situations I Pull Bananas Out

Player-1

Smash Legend
Hey, well I created this thread to know when everyone pulls out bananas, or to help some people out that might want to know when to pull them out. I'm just going to start out with when I pull out bananas.

1.After any opponent dies, this said I'll pull them out after my opponent dies to get a quick wrack up on damage and try to get them atleast 50% damage before they kill me, so I have a decent lead. If I die, chances are they're at high damage %, and they are ready for a kill, so I use them to set up a Fsmash or Dsmash.

2. Banana spike/banana edgeguarding. This is very effective from the characters that have a limited recovery, like DK, Link, Charizard, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Mario, Etc. It also works well against Ness and Lucas and tether recoverys.

3. If I'm high in the air. I'm personally not good at getting out of air combos, or if they Usmash me and I'm falling back down, and they jump to do Uair, Bair, or Fair, so to make up for this if I'm high up in the air I'll pull out a banana, jump, pull another banana, and side b towards the first banana to make a wall like effect, it usually stops them and sometimes sets them up for a Fair as your landing.

4. Racking up damage. Like I said back in Situation 1, I use it to rack up damage, I keep pulling out my bananas until at least 50% even if I have to pull out 8 bananas before i do it.

5. The kill. I'll use bananas to get kills as well. Glide tossing to Fsmash, banana spiking, etc. I won't stop pulling them out if they're 140% damage or more until they're dead.

Spamming Vs. Strategising:

A lot of my situations will overlap each other so it may seem like I'm banana spamming, but I see it more of a strategy.

Example:

I'm versing a G&W. G&W is a light character and can die around 100% minimum. Since the bananas will rack his damage up to 60%, it's only a few hits to the high 90's low 100's. So I'll pull more bananas out to get the kill. I got the kill, I need to rack up more damage, I pull out 2 more bananas, and get him to 30%, before he kills me. I died, I pull out 2 more bananas, banana combo him to 80%, he went off the stage and is recovering, I go for a banana spike and pull out 2 more bananas, one hits, the other misses but he still makes, he's 95%, so I go for the kill by pulling more bananas out.

In situations like these I'll get called banana spamming, but as you can see it's more of a strategy more than spamming.

psike

Smash Apprentice
I try to keep at least 1 banana out at all times, depending on who I am playing against.

-If I know someone is chasing me, then I will run away and pull out a banana (that they either catch/dodge/or get hit by).

-If I am falling with someone that will try a side aerial, I will face the opposite direction they are approaching from and drop a banana.

-When I KO someone, I only take out 1 banana because if I do 2 there will be 1 banana on the ground they can pick up while invincible, and then use against me.

-The only times I take out 2 bananas is: when I am spaced away from a character and need to approach while they are not invincible, edge guarding, playing on a stage with many platforms, or I am trying to give the opponent bananas because I know they will pick them up and they are useless without their smashes (they usually end up throwing the bananas in a predictable pattern, I dodge and take advantage).

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I ALWAYS have bananas out. If one disappears I take one out right away. IF one is about to die, I grab it and throw it off, then take out another. If they die I throw both off and take one out and keep it in hand until they are no longer invince

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
Sometimes if im in situations where the 2 banana peels at right at my opponent and im on the other side of the stage. I just grab my opponent and throw him. And then grab the banana peels and spam them like crazy

IDK

Smash Lord
Hey, well I created this thread to know when everyone pulls out bananas, or to help some people out that might want to know when to pull them out. I'm just going to start out with when I pull out bananas.

1.After any opponent dies, this said I'll pull them out after my opponent dies to get a quick wrack up on damage and try to get them atleast 50% damage before they kill me, so I have a decent lead. If I die, chances are they're at high damage %, and they are ready for a kill, so I use them to set up a Fsmash or Dsmash.

2. Banana spike/banana edgeguarding. This is very effective from the characters that have a limited recovery, like DK, Link, Charizard, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Mario, Etc. It also works well against Ness and Lucas and tether recoverys.

3. If I'm high in the air. I'm personally not good at getting out of air combos, or if they Usmash me and I'm falling back down, and they jump to do Uair, Bair, or Fair, so to make up for this if I'm high up in the air I'll pull out a banana, jump, pull another banana, and side b towards the first banana to make a wall like effect, it usually stops them and sometimes sets them up for a Fair as your landing.

4. Racking up damage. Like I said back in Situation 1, I use it to rack up damage, I keep pulling out my bananas until at least 50% even if I have to pull out 8 bananas before i do it.

5. The kill. I'll use bananas to get kills as well. Glide tossing to Fsmash, banana spiking, etc. I won't stop pulling them out if they're 140% damage or more until they're dead.

Spamming Vs. Strategising:

A lot of my situations will overlap each other so it may seem like I'm banana spamming, but I see it more of a strategy.

Example:

I'm versing a G&W. G&W is a light character and can die around 100% minimum. Since the bananas will rack his damage up to 60%, it's only a few hits to the high 90's low 100's. So I'll pull more bananas out to get the kill. I got the kill, I need to rack up more damage, I pull out 2 more bananas, and get him to 30%, before he kills me. I died, I pull out 2 more bananas, banana combo him to 80%, he went off the stage and is recovering, I go for a banana spike and pull out 2 more bananas, one hits, the other misses but he still makes, he's 95%, so I go for the kill by pulling more bananas out.

In situations like these I'll get called banana spamming, but as you can see it's more of a strategy more than spamming.
okay not flaming or anything... but i have some notes on this thread. sorry forry the choppyness and quick topic changes.
1. for most diddys we just pull out bananas whenever on our own instinct, and do not have a mental list for exactly when to.
2. i like your number 3 wall idea.
3. number 1 and 2 are both very common and well known.
4. #4-5- if you use it for racking up damage... AND the kill... you basically use them the whole time. there is no state of being between damaged and dead.
5. Spamming vs strategising- it seems like you're just defending yourself here against being called a spammer...

Player-1

Smash Legend
okay not flaming or anything... but i have some notes on this thread. sorry forry the choppyness and quick topic changes.
1. for most diddys we just pull out bananas whenever on our own instinct, and do not have a mental list for exactly when to.
2. i like your number 3 wall idea.
3. number 1 and 2 are both very common and well known.
4. #4-5- if you use it for racking up damage... AND the kill... you basically use them the whole time. there is no state of being between damaged and dead.
5. Spamming vs strategising- it seems like you're just defending yourself here against being called a spammer...
1. That could actually be a 6th, I do both.
2. TY
3. It's not a guide, I'm just saying...-.-
4. Like I said I do it til at least 50%, which Diddy can't kill anyone at that damage percent unless spiked...
5. Like I said if pull them out in these situations it seems like I'm spamming, if the situations are spaced out I don't use bananas that often. I've watched N4N3rz videos and AZ's, I use them way less than they do...

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
"5. Like I said if pull them out in these situations it seems like I'm spamming"

So? Winning is winning. The end. If your playing to show off skill then Brawl isn't the best game to demonstrate it. Play Melee or STARCRAFT if you want to do that.

Player-1

Smash Legend
"5. Like I said if pull them out in these situations it seems like I'm spamming"

So? Winning is winning. The end. If your playing to show off skill then Brawl isn't the best game to demonstrate it. Play Melee or STARCRAFT if you want to do that.
that didn't make any sense to me...?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
He made perfect sense, Player 1. He was just saying that, even if you consider it spamming (which I guarantee you it's not) and you win from it, it doesn't matter if it was a "cheap" win (which it wasn't); you still won. Spamming or not, you still won the match. That's all that matters.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
He made perfect sense, Player 1. He was just saying that, even if you consider it spamming (which I guarantee you it's not) and you win from it, it doesn't matter if it was a "cheap" win (which it wasn't); you still won. Spamming or not, you still won the match. That's all that matters.
Thank you =]

Mattmiston

Smash Apprentice
Bananas are definitely a weaker part of my Diddy Kong. I always feel guilty if I take out bananas all the time, and it's not always the best move for my strategy. If I concentrate on it, I end up overdoing it and forgetting about other things.

Do you guys mostly start out with taking out two bananas?

Raisinbran10488

Smash Cadet
I personally feel that spamming nanerz is impossible due to the fact that it is possible for enemies to grab them and use them back. So if im spamming, im just granting them an oppurtunity to spam right back. Question is, can they do it?

IDK

Smash Lord
not saying you're a spammer or use them more than they do... it's just that it seems like you're defending yourself.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
who gives a **** if its considered spamming or not
even if you cant technically spam bananas because you can only pull 2, and just using them spamly shouldnt work, because the opponent should be able to deal with just the throw of a banana, and the bananas on the floor should pose not much of a threat
on the other hand, the opponent can put the spammed bananas for a better use
bottom line: diddies dont spma bananas

Player-1

Smash Legend
not saying you're a spammer or use them more than they do... it's just that it seems like you're defending yourself.
This topic isn't made for defending myself, I made a topic to defend myself against people who say I spam bananas on the AiB forums that I posted the link the post before this

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Player-1 owns and shouldn't have to justify pulling out bananas. No Diddy should ever have to justify pulling out bananas.

End of story.

Top Bottom